PDA

View Full Version : Scripted plays work great

tcdog70
10-13-2013, 10:41 AM
But after our first drive our play calling goes to shit. Why not just rerun the script? We score twenty points in the first half and not shit in the second half. It might be that we just sux.

BeastMan
10-13-2013, 10:45 AM
Scripted plays are done so the offensive staff can watch how the defense lines up and reacts to those different scripted formations and plays. They then (in theory) can call the rest game based of how the defense is playing us. I guess our problem is asking our offensive coaches to think past the script.

Coach34
10-13-2013, 12:17 PM
We scored 21 points in the 1st half- that is good.

2nd half possessions?

Russell completed 2 check down passes and then couldnt complete a pass to keep the drive going
Dakota drove us to scoring territory, Morrow gets a penalty on 3rd down to make it very long- and Bell misses a FG
Dakota drives us to the 8 yd line and Mullen refuses to kick a FG
We ran out the clock

Of our 3 actual drives- we had scoring chances on 2 of them.

HoopsDawg
10-13-2013, 12:28 PM
We scored 21 points in the 1st half- that is good.

2nd half possessions?

Russell completed 2 check down passes and then couldnt complete a pass to keep the drive going
Dakota drove us to scoring territory, Morrow gets a penalty on 3rd down to make it very long- and Bell misses a FG
Dakota drives us to the 8 yd line and Mullen refuses to kick a FG
We ran out the clock

Of our 3 actual drives- we had scoring chances on 2 of them.

I hate our tempo on offense. I'm not suggesting we go Oregon/A&M up-tempo, but the more plays you can run against an inferior team, the better chance you have to put them away. We are consistently snapping the ball with single digits on the clock. You have noted that we moved the ball pretty well, but we didn't run enough plays b/c we are grinding the clock.

Coach34
10-13-2013, 12:32 PM
we are absolutely grinding the clock and shortening games- we are 3rd in the SEC in TOP at almost 34 mins per game

HoopsDawg
10-13-2013, 01:18 PM
we are absolutely grinding the clock and shortening games- we are 3rd in the SEC in TOP at almost 34 mins per game

And that's a stat that Mullen looks at. He even mentioned TOP in the postgame. We went hurry up one time and scored a TD. He said we might do more of that in the future but is worried about TOP.

2 things on that:

1. In the present game, its one of the most irrelevant stats in offense football and
2. I don't mean hurry up, I just would like to see us snap it with 12 or 14 secs on the play clock.

maroonmania
10-13-2013, 01:29 PM
And that's a stat that Mullen looks at. He even mentioned TOP in the postgame. We went hurry up one time and scored a TD. He said we might do more of that in the future but is worried about TOP.

2 things on that:

1. In the present game, its one of the most irrelevant stats in offense football and
2. I don't mean hurry up, I just would like to see us snap it with 12 or 14 secs on the play clock.

TOP is the most meaningless stat in football. Number of plays has some bearing but not TOP. Would be fine with me if they threw that stat out the window.

Coach34
10-13-2013, 02:21 PM
TOP is the most meaningless stat in football. Number of plays has some bearing but not TOP. Would be fine with me if they threw that stat out the window.

My point is that we are doing it on purpose. We are trying to run clock to keep our defense off the field.

BeastMan
10-13-2013, 03:08 PM
Florida is number 1 in the SEC in TOP and last in scoring offense

codeDawg
10-13-2013, 05:08 PM
Florida is number 1 in the SEC in TOP and last in scoring offense

Managing TOP is something defensively strong, offensively weak teams do to keep the other team off the field and shorten the game. Dan needs to worry more about doing whatever it takes to score more and worry less about defensive time on the field. We can handle ourselves defensively if we are scoring enough on offense.