PDA

View Full Version : How many season does Jimbo have to win the SEC before they let him go?

Jack Lambert
08-30-2018, 08:05 AM
A&M has the money to let him go and buy another.

Dawgbite
08-30-2018, 08:12 AM
I'm going with 4 but 3 isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

msstatelp1
08-30-2018, 08:14 AM
I think he has to win the West within 3 and overall by the 4th.

WSOPdawg
08-30-2018, 08:24 AM
Jimbo gets more seasons at aTm than Mullen gets at UF imo. And honestly, Jimbo at aTm is downright scary at what they can become.

msstate7
08-30-2018, 08:25 AM
He's not going anywhere. He'll have aTm fighting for the west title year-in, year-out in 2-3 years

Lord McBuckethead
08-30-2018, 08:28 AM
He's not going anywhere. He'll have aTm fighting for the west title year-in, year-out in 2-3 years

And as soon as Saban and Moorhead leaves, he may win one.

fader2103
08-30-2018, 08:28 AM
TAMU buyout is a guarantee of 75 Million. If Jimbo leaves on his own, He owes the University 0 dollars

Tbonewannabe
08-30-2018, 08:29 AM
Jimbo gets more seasons at aTm than Mullen gets at UF imo. And honestly, Jimbo at aTm is downright scary at what they can become.

Jimbo also has $75 Mil guaranteed where Mullen has $24 Mil guaranteed. Mullen only has a 4 year contract but the whole thing is guaranteed unless he somehow breaks the contract. If Mullen lasts 3 years then they would only be buying out 1 year at 6 Mil. If Jimbo gets fired after 3 years then they still have to pay him the other 7 years at $7.5 Mil per year. A&M has money but that is a pretty big chunk to throw away. Rich people don't get rich by doing that type of thing, of course football makes people do crazy things.

BrunswickDawg
08-30-2018, 08:31 AM
Jimbo is gone after 5 years of 8-4ish records.

msstate7
08-30-2018, 08:33 AM
And as soon as Saban and Moorhead leaves, he may win one.

This will be Moorhead's best shot. Bama lost a lot of defense, aTm and LSU down, and auburn replaced oline. If we don't do it this year, we won't do it for the next 4-5 years anyway

Johnson85
08-30-2018, 08:40 AM
A&M has the money to let him go and buy another.

I don't think he'll have to win to keep his job. He obviously can't average 8.5 regular season wins a year and keep his job. I'd say teh first two seasons don't matter much b/c they're not going to pay his buyout. I think he needs 9 regular season wins in his third year (unless he does something really good before that to give him a pass) and if he doesn't get one 10 win season in his first four, his seat is going to be hot, but if he goes 7, 8, 9, and 9 regular season wins, I don't think that gets him fired although there will be a lot of aggies that want him fired.

Johnson85
08-30-2018, 08:42 AM
Jimbo also has $75 Mil guaranteed where Mullen has $24 Mil guaranteed. Mullen only has a 4 year contract but the whole thing is guaranteed unless he somehow breaks the contract. If Mullen lasts 3 years then they would only be buying out 1 year at 6 Mil. If Jimbo gets fired after 3 years then they still have to pay him the other 7 years at $7.5 Mil per year. A&M has money but that is a pretty big chunk to throw away. Rich people don't get rich by doing that type of thing, of course football makes people do crazy things.

I had forgotten how crazy his contract was. Even if he goes 8-4 for the next five years, I'm not sure A&M will be ready to pony up $30M to fire him. Especially if the TV money has decreased by then, which I think is entirely possible.

ckDOG
08-30-2018, 08:45 AM

What always comes, but never arrives?

Tomorrow and TAMU football dominance.

Jack Lambert
08-30-2018, 08:53 AM
I had forgotten how crazy his contract was. Even if he goes 8-4 for the next five years, I'm not sure A&M will be ready to pony up $30M to fire him. Especially if the TV money has decreased by then, which I think is entirely possible.

A&M had the first Million Dollar Coach in College Football history. They have been paying out the ass for ever. They have a lot of money with out TV money. If they want Jimbo gone he will be gone.

ShotgunDawg
08-30-2018, 09:02 AM

He'll have to change the entire culture of how football is played at the high school level in that state.

TrapGame
08-30-2018, 09:07 AM
I just don't see Jimbo winning the West but I see him sticking around for several years going 9-3 with a few 10-2 seasons.

BulldogBear
08-30-2018, 09:34 AM

This^

Aggies success hinges on switching from Texas HS and Big 12 culture to an SEC culture and nothing else. Coach has little affect unless he facilitates this change ESPECIALLY on defense. TAMU is still not "SEC" school and the on field results reflect that.

msstate7
08-30-2018, 09:43 AM
Herman and jimbo will win... saban probably prevents jimbo from making playoffs, but not Texas. Both programs are about to take a big step forward

tireddawg
08-30-2018, 10:00 AM
Why fire him? As long as he wins 7-9 games per year, they should give him some serious time to build, they've got to pay him anyway. In comparison, it took Mullen, what, 5-6 years to get us to #1, and 9-10 years for the roster we have this year. It's not gonna happen overnight as some Aggie fans believe, although he won a NC at FSU in just 3 years, he could def build something there if given time.

TUSK
08-30-2018, 10:04 AM
I just don't see Jimbo winning the West but I see him sticking around for several years going 9-3 with a few 10-2 seasons.

I believe this.

Tbonewannabe
08-30-2018, 10:09 AM
I believe this.

I think he will win enough to not want everyone calling for his head especially if you have to pay him $30-40 Mil just to go away. I don't see them firing him without cause for at least 6-7 years. If he is winning 8 and they can find a loophole then he could be gone after 3 or 4 years but that is a lot of guaranteed money.

Jack Lambert
08-30-2018, 10:17 AM
Why fire him? As long as he wins 7-9 games per year, they should give him some serious time to build, they've got to pay him anyway. In comparison, it took Mullen, what, 5-6 years to get us to #1, and 9-10 years for the roster we have this year. It's not gonna happen overnight as some Aggie fans believe, although he won a NC at FSU in just 3 years, he could def build something there if given time.

They have stupid money and they want to win really bad.

BrunswickDawg
08-30-2018, 10:44 AM
Herman and jimbo will win... saban probably prevents jimbo from making playoffs, but not Texas. Both programs are about to take a big step forward

Herman might get Texas back to feasting on the Big 12 - but that won't guarantee them a Natty.

I think Jimbo is done, and the SEC schedule will eat him alive. FSU had to handle 2-3 big games - Clemson, UF, and Miami. A&M has the SEC West and USCe every year. Add Clemson this year, Colorado in '20 & '21, Miami & UF in '22; and Miami and Tennessee in '23 - that is not a recipe for multiple 10 win seasons.

Cooterpoot
08-30-2018, 10:49 AM
Jimbo isn't a great coach. Sorry, he's not. He had 3 good years in 8 at FSU and FSU is a better program than A&M.

msstate7
08-30-2018, 10:56 AM
Jimbo isn't a great coach. Sorry, he's not. He had 3 good years in 8 at FSU and FSU is a better program than A&M.

I see 5 straight bcs/playoff/NY6 bowls. For all active college coaches that have coached at least 2 seasons at a P5 school, only chip kelly and urban Meyer have a higher winning %

99jc
08-30-2018, 10:57 AM

and he is a slimy piece of crap.

TrapGame
08-30-2018, 11:10 AM
and he is a slimy piece of crap.

100% agree on that.

I wonder in the NCAA visits college station during his tenure? He's got to get defensive talent outside of Texas. Texas HS defenses are too damn soft. And he's got to get 4 and 5 star defensive talent to win the West.

msstate7
08-30-2018, 11:24 AM
Putting your personal feelings of jimbo aside, he's been a good coach. We can't tout howland as awesome, and at the same time say jimbo is bad. I remember OM fans saying howland was washed up and couldn't recruit at state... this is sorta the same things I'm reading here about jimbo. Jimbo has hit the ground rolling recruiting wise. Jimbo has a natty, and beat the sec champs to get it. Next thing will be well he had Winston. First off, he recruited and signed Winston. 2nd, Winston's qb rating in 3 seasons in the nfl is 87.2. Winston isn't some GOAT qb or something.

Johnson85
08-30-2018, 11:48 AM
Herman might get Texas back to feasting on the Big 12 - but that won't guarantee them a Natty.

I think Jimbo is done, and the SEC schedule will eat him alive. FSU had to handle 2-3 big games - Clemson, UF, and Miami. A&M has the SEC West and USCe every year. Add Clemson this year, Colorado in '20 & '21, Miami & UF in '22; and Miami and Tennessee in '23 - that is not a recipe for multiple 10 win seasons.

Damn. Hadn't realized how ridiculous A&M's scheduling is. Bama, Clemson, Auburn, MSU, USCe, and LSU. They're most likely going to play 2 of the top 4 teams, then I think either Auburn or MSU will be top 10, and USCe or LSU will probably be top 25 (possibly both). That's brutal.

And who knows what teams will look like in 2022, but Miami, UF, and USCe to go along with the SECW schedule could be brutal too.

Pollodawg
08-30-2018, 12:05 PM
A&M had the first Million Dollar Coach in College Football history. They have been paying out the ass for ever. They have a lot of money with out TV money. If they want Jimbo gone he will be gone.

Neat little piece of trivia: Who was that head coach?

Pollodawg
08-30-2018, 12:07 PM
I have sick feeling they?re about to get massively better. Not that I hate AM. They?re weird, no doubt. But Tejas, as a whole, has way to high an opinion of itself, so it?s always fun to needle them about something.

Jack Lambert
08-30-2018, 12:20 PM
Neat little piece of trivia: Who was that head coach?

A&M paid JWS 1 million to leave Pitt.

TUSK
08-30-2018, 12:45 PM
I think one thing that will change under Fisher is A&M's abysmal SEC Home Record... they have been shockingly bad at home...

Shockingly bad, I say.

Edit to add data over last 4 years:
2017 1-3
2016 1-2
2015 2-2
2014 0-3

Total 4-10, 0.286

DownwardDawg
08-30-2018, 01:00 PM

^^^This^^^

Tbonewannabe
08-30-2018, 01:03 PM
I think one thing that will change under Fisher is A&M's abysmal SEC Home Record... they have been shockingly bad at home...

Shockingly bad, I say.

Edit to add data over last 4 years:
2017 1-3
2016 1-2
2015 2-2
2014 0-3

Total 4-10, 0.286

Losing at home in front of the fans pretty much doubles the intensity. People don't want to drive in and tailgate all day to see their team lose consistently.

Tbonewannabe
08-30-2018, 01:05 PM
^^^This^^^

Has anyone paid anywhere close to a $35 Million dollar buyout for a coach? I realize A&M has money but you don't get a lot of money by being stupid with it.

BrunswickDawg
08-30-2018, 02:06 PM
Damn. Hadn't realized how ridiculous A&M's scheduling is. Bama, Clemson, Auburn, MSU, USCe, and LSU. They're most likely going to play 2 of the top 4 teams, then I think either Auburn or MSU will be top 10, and USCe or LSU will probably be top 25 (possibly both). That's brutal.

And who knows what teams will look like in 2022, but Miami, UF, and USCe to go along with the SECW schedule could be brutal too.

It is a gauntlet. Yes, Jimbo coached at LSU, but the SECW then and now is not the same. He is looking at anywhere between 4-8 Top 25 teams a season - before any conference title games or bowls. FSU averaged 2.6 games vs. Top 25 in Jimbo's 8 seasons. At LSU he saw 3.7 Top 25 a season. A&M has averaged 4.3 Top 25 teams since joining the SEC. We have faced 4.2 a season since 2009 - playing only 1 OOC Top 25 team. You can't just walk into the SEC West and think you are going to make a jump.

Can Jimbo adjust? I don't know.

Cooterpoot
08-30-2018, 06:56 PM
I see 5 straight bcs/playoff/NY6 bowls. For all active college coaches that have coached at least 2 seasons at a P5 school, only chip kelly and urban Meyer have a higher winning %

Because he was in the ACC while Miami was down. He ain’t there anymore. You lose 3+ games at FSU and it’s not a great year.

ShotgunDawg
08-30-2018, 07:03 PM

Yeah, I don't see anything close to this. Completely different conference & circumstance.

NolaDawgPound
08-30-2018, 07:11 PM

Nah. A&M will never have the complete defense to compete for and win the West. The only year they were remotely close, they had a once in a lifetime college talent at QB, that literally willed them to wins. A&M will always have a Big 12 defense (not Oklahoma) as long as the recruiting sites continue to rank Texas defensive players playing Texas spread high school, finesse teams.

If i were a coach I'd knock at least half of a star off of every Texas defensive player, due to the style of football they play. Until the style of football changes in Texas high schools or they start raiding MS/AL/UGA for SEC defensive talent, they'll be who they've been since they joined the conference. Either win by scoring 35+ points or get shut down against the upper tier SEC defenses.

msstate7
08-30-2018, 07:22 PM
Because he was in the ACC while Miami was down. He ain?t there anymore. You lose 3+ games at FSU and it?s not a great year.

We'll just disagree. Curious, do you rank Moorhead above fisher? I see a whole lot of praise for Moorhead and critic of jimbo here... curious how anyone can rate Moorhead stud and jimbo dud like on this board.

TUSK
08-30-2018, 07:26 PM
I think Jimbo "fits" A&M much better than he did FSU...

And I believe he & A&M are gonna ruin some seasons for some folks once he gets things set up his way... will he win 10 games every year? I dunno... But I do know it's premature to dismiss him as "not a threat to compete for the west", especially with Arkie and OM sucking and LSU right behind them...

What I do believe is that they will be tougher, more disciplined, and prolly recruit better than they did under Sumlin....

bulldawg28
08-30-2018, 07:49 PM

Wanna bet?

ShotgunDawg
08-30-2018, 07:52 PM
I think Jimbo "fits" A&M much better than he did FSU...

And I believe he & A&M are gonna ruin some seasons for some folks once he gets things set up his way... will he win 10 games every year? I dunno... But I do know it's premature to dismiss him as "not a threat to compete for the west", especially with Arkie and OM sucking and LSU right behind them...

What I do believe is that they will be tougher, more disciplined, and prolly recruit better than they did under Sumlin....

He may "fit" better there, but he better fit a hella of lot better because his schedule is going to be a hella of lot tougher

TUSK
08-30-2018, 08:06 PM
He may "fit" better there, but he better fit a hella of lot better because his schedule is going to be a hella of lot tougher

I thought that too, 'Gun...

Would you believe that per Sagarin, FSU's SOS has ranked considerably higher than A&M's the last couple years?

I'm suspicious...

yjnkdawg
08-30-2018, 09:36 PM

This and he was supposedly getting a little bit on the hot seat at FSU. Word from Seminole land was that there was a little bit of controversy with some of the FSU friendly media and a few boosters.

I am Jack's failing liver
08-30-2018, 09:36 PM
Jimbo gets more seasons at aTm than Mullen gets at UF imo. And honestly, Jimbo at aTm is downright scary at what they can become.Don't underestimate aTm's ability to squander potential. Plus they're really weird.

Aggies success hinges on switching from Texas HS and Big 12 culture to an SEC culture and nothing else. Coach has little affect unless he facilitates this change ESPECIALLY on defense. TAMU is still not "SEC" school and the on field results reflect that. they where rarely a factor in the Big 12 either.

RocketDawg
08-30-2018, 09:41 PM
We'll just disagree. Curious, do you rank Moorhead above fisher? I see a whole lot of praise for Moorhead and critic of jimbo here... curious how anyone can rate Moorhead stud and jimbo dud like on this board.

Because Moorhead is our coach and Jimbo isn't. If Jimbo was our coach, and wasn't trying to leave all the time, he'd be well-liked (even though he's a bit of a bubba). Moorhead is in actuality an unknown quantity, but a really nice and sharp guy, and he's ours.

BrunswickDawg
08-30-2018, 10:06 PM

I haven’t seen anyone claim that Jimbo is a dud or Moorhead is a better coach. It’s situational. Jimbo is leaving an easier path for success for a harder one. He’s going from a juggernaut to a perpetual underachiever. If Jimbo can win at a high level, then he will cement himself as top tier coach. If he is inconsistent like everyone else has been at A&M - then it probably diminishes his rep to a degree.

Moorhead is walking into a far better situation, and has presented himself very well so far. So confidence is high because he has a track record that is positive and we have no negatives to counteract that.

preachermatt83
08-30-2018, 10:49 PM
Jumbo is Most overrated coach in the Sec