PDA

View Full Version : Before changing out head coaches, we should first try

Itsbeenworse
10-13-2013, 09:42 AM
Finding the money for Mullin to pay SEC salaries to SEC LEVEL assistant coaches. I am not saying to raise the pay of the coordinators we already have. Our Offense can not produce when we need to - look for second half points this year in games we've lost. They are few and that in turn exposes the defense. The Defense, I don't know if they are not talented, too young, coached poorly, or what but we see them too often trying to hold a narrow lead after the O has stalled again.

If Mullin and competent SEC level assistants can't field a better team then what we've seen so far then change HC's. As long as our total coaching salary budget is near or at the bottom of the SEC, we will keep getting the same results we always have and we are repeating the same cycle of five to six year bouts of reaching for mediocrity.

Finally, if we can't find the money to hire SEC LEVEL assistants, can we pony up enough one time to get a decent FG kicker?

Dawgfan77
10-13-2013, 09:56 AM
Great concept but it appears to me we are paying our HC the majority of the money allocated to the football staff, so unless Mullen wants to take a pay cut then we are stuck with the quality of assistants we currently employee. This reason is one to consider when hiring another coach, do we throw the majority of the money to the HC, or do we pay 1.8 to a HC and then take the remainder 500K that was allocated and spread it between the OC and DC. Say we pay our OC and DC 300K, take that remainder 500K we would have invested in Dan and pay the OC 550K and the DC 550K. When you put all your money into the HC and cut your assistants pay (compared to other SEC coaches) you get the results we are seeing on the field.

Itsbeenworse
10-13-2013, 10:49 AM
I don't think the problem is the money spent towards Mullin. Even at 2.5 or so he's still paid middle of the pack in the conference. The problem is the sum of all coaches salaries, even with Mullin included, is at or near the bottom of the conference. I'm going off old and faded memory and if the sum of our coaches salaries (football) is mid conference or so then I'm off base.

Giving Mullin or any HC less and spreading it amongst the rest of the coaches will not bring the sum up. Until that happens we will keep getting the same results that we always have.

Will James
10-13-2013, 10:52 AM
Great concept but it appears to me we are paying our HC the majority of the money allocated to the football staff, so unless Mullen wants to take a pay cut then we are stuck with the quality of assistants we currently employee. This reason is one to consider when hiring another coach, do we throw the majority of the money to the HC, or do we pay 1.8 to a HC and then take the remainder 500K that was allocated and spread it between the OC and DC. Say we pay our OC and DC 300K, take that remainder 500K we would have invested in Dan and pay the OC 550K and the DC 550K. When you put all your money into the HC and cut your assistants pay (compared to other SEC coaches) you get the results we are seeing on the field.

I bet Hud would cost a decent amount less than Mullen and with upcoming revenue increases we can begin to pay for asisstants

WinningIsRelentless
10-13-2013, 11:15 AM
I said this last week. If people are going to bitch like they are now, then they just need to cut a 5 million dollar check to the football program each year on top of what the budget is now.

Behrdawg
10-13-2013, 11:21 AM
Good Lord- it's MULLEN. Not Mullin

AROB44
10-13-2013, 06:35 PM
I bet Hud would cost a decent amount less than Mullen and with upcoming revenue increases we can begin to pay for asisstants

HUD is the answer to all that ails the planet, world peace, and MSU football dominance.

Coach34
10-13-2013, 06:44 PM
I'm curious as to 5 years from now what people will say when Hud is still going 6-6 and 7-5 like Mullen did. It's almost worth hiring him to show people he would be the same damn thing

WinningIsRelentless
10-13-2013, 07:02 PM
I'm curious as to 5 years from now what people will say when Hud is still going 6-6 and 7-5 like Mullen did. It's almost worth hiring him to show people he would be the same damn thing

Exactly. Typical state fans

War Machine Dawg
10-13-2013, 07:20 PM

Yep. All this crazy talk of running off one of the 3 greatest coaches in school history is just that: crazy talk. It has my head ready to explode with the insanity and stupidity.

PassInterference
10-13-2013, 07:22 PM

Exactly. The answer is Bracky. Gotta croot.

Dannyripms
10-13-2013, 07:59 PM
I know one way we could get more money for coaches. Fire bracky, have a pay cut for the ad and the others that don't do much. Bam. I'm betting we could get close to 1mm to go to assistants

BHildreth3
10-13-2013, 08:36 PM

Y'all are crazy. Even with the bullshit we call Bracky, Hud is the best option at State. Mark will get twice the talent Mullen gets now. Don't know about developing the talent but he's done a damn good job improving every year. I'm not for recycling coaches every 5 years, I'm just saying we hired the wrong guy 5 years ago.

sleepy dawg
10-13-2013, 08:42 PM
It's a never ending cycle. Hud won't get it done either. We'll be more or less where we are now with Hud. People will either say we should've never fired Mullen, or Hud was the wrong hire, and we should've hired _______.

When comparing our team to top teams, the largest difference is definitely not the head coach.

engie
10-13-2013, 08:51 PM

Say what?

Beginning next year, our football stadium will increase revenue $10 mil. The SEC network also starts next year. Increased revenue $15+ mil most likely.

So, our "money allotment" is not a good argument to say the least. We are NOT "poor ole MSU" anymore. We can afford this -- it's up to Mullen and Stricklin to decide that we NEED to do it.

cheewgumm
10-13-2013, 09:44 PM
It's pretty hopeless. In essence, nobody we get will be better than mullin so why bother ?

Regardless I think we are going to enter a period where we are a solid 6th on the west... With teams rotating in and out of 7 th. mullin is gonna win 7 next year but not beat anybody good, and we'll be exactly where we are now.

Ole miss is passing us as I type this. Hopefully they get probation as that is the only thing that will keep them from totally leaving us.

Patience. We are miss state after all. Why should we expect more?

It does sicken me that our fans take the stance that we can't be any better and we should know our role when ole miss thinks they should be playing for the national championship. You can say they are delusional but guess which attitude will succeed first.

Dawg61
10-13-2013, 10:06 PM
Ole miss is passing us as I type this. Hopefully they get probation as that is the only thing that will keep them from totally leaving us.

It does sicken me that our fans take the stance that we can't be any better and we should know our role when ole miss thinks they should be playing for the national championship. You can say they are delusional but guess which attitude will succeed first.

Do head coaches at programs that are leaving us behind get into shouting matches with fans and have to be restrained

cheewgumm
10-13-2013, 10:08 PM
Oh, I don't know. I think it will become more apparent. Hopefully not.

Do head coaches at programs that are leaving us behind get into shouting matches with fans and have to be restrained

Coach34
10-13-2013, 10:23 PM
Ole miss is passing us as I type this.

That is pure speculation until Thanksgiving

They had 20 starters returning this season- we had 12. That's the biggest reason they look a little better at this point. But they arent winning in Sville

cheewgumm
10-13-2013, 10:27 PM
I can see that. I'd be much more happy if we find a way to beat, say...SC, then Ark and OM. Pretty much everything on all these pages is speculation.

That is pure speculation until Thanksgiving

They had 20 starters returning this season- we had 12. That's the biggest reason they look a little better at this point. But they arent winning in Sville

CadaverDawg
10-13-2013, 10:31 PM
It's pretty hopeless. In essence, nobody we get will be better than mullin so why bother ?

Regardless I think we are going to enter a period where we are a solid 6th on the west... With teams rotating in and out of 7 th. mullin is gonna win 7 next year but not beat anybody good, and we'll be exactly where we are now.

Patience. We are miss state after all. Why should we expect more?

I agree with this. I'm not saying we fire Mullen, but you can't just base it off of record, unless you are truly ok with 5-7 wins per year at MSU. In the past, I would say that's fine...but now we have gotten to a point where 6 wins is not that difficult when we don't do stupid shit like scheduling OSU. So the question is, do MSU fans WANT to take that next step and try to become better than auburn and Arkansas on a year to year basis, or are we ok with 5-7 wins per year? It's a tough call, because you know what you get with Mullen. It would truly be a risk. But if you say you don't want to take the risk, then don't bitch when we win 5-7 games per year under Mullen, because it is becoming apparent that that is where he will average out, especially once we go back to the non-OSU schedule with several cupcakes.

As for me, I'm in the camp of scheduling the easy OOC games, but demanding more from our coach than what we have seen since the Bama game last year. In other words, when you have a schedule that damn near guarantees 6 wins next year, you better get more than 6 or it better be 6 wins and a bunch of highly competitive close losses. I think we have to use our eyes, and not just say, "MSU can not fire a coach that wins 6 games".....because the record doesn't always tell the story.

Again, it's not time to fire Mullen. Not even close. But if he misses a bowl this year, I don't think coasting through patsies next year to a 6-6 record should guarantee the man another year.

But that may just be me, and I definitely respect those that disagree.

Dawg61
10-13-2013, 10:45 PM
I want to see what Dan can do with all the new money MSU will be getting starting next year. He's already improved our facilities tremendously. If he can improve his assistants and recruiting with an increased budget he is capable of taking MSU to the next level. We only have a couple missing pieces on the field right now or we'd be sitting at 5-1 or 6-0. In all 3 games vs OSU, AU and LSU we looked capable of pulling the W. It's soooo much easier for Mullen to upgrade those pieces missing than the entire new process of bringing in a new coach. It'd be a huge mistake not to see what Mullen can do with his increased budget imo.

CadaverDawg
10-13-2013, 10:50 PM
I want to see what Dan can do with all the new money MSU will be getting starting next year. He's already improved our facilities tremendously. If he can improve his assistants and recruiting with an increased budget he is capable of taking MSU to the next level. We only have a couple missing pieces on the field right now or we'd be sitting at 5-1 or 6-0. In all 3 games vs OSU, AU and LSU we looked capable of pulling the W. It's soooo much easier for Mullen to upgrade those pieces missing than the entire new process of bringing in a new coach. It'd be a huge mistake not to see what Mullen can do with his increased budget imo.

I agree, in the heat of the moment there have been times where I questioned if Mullen should be kept if we only win, say, 4 games this year. But now, even then I think he deserves next year. He has built what we have coming back next year, and it should be one of our best teams under Mullen. But if he makes no changes, makes the same boneheaded play calls, makes no adjustments, and only win 6 games when that schedule and talent puts us in great position to win 8+ next year....I definitely don't think you base our decision to keep him on winning 6 cupcake games and not improving in any areas in the process.

Does that make sense? I hope people don't think I'm saying "FIRE MULLEN!!!", because I am definitely not. I just don't think everything can be based off of record

Dawg61
10-13-2013, 11:17 PM
What I do want done at the end of this year is MSU hire a new OC. One that will challenge Mullen into being a better coach. I want one from the Oregon tree. Second thing I want to see is MSU DOUBLE all the assistants salaries. Oh and get a new compliance officer.

engie
10-13-2013, 11:30 PM
What I do want done at the end of this year is MSU hire a new OC. One that will challenge Mullen into being a better coach. I want one from the Oregon tree.

Thing is, there basically is no "Oregon" coaching tree. Belotti got the ball rolling -- and his "staff" is still there almost fully intact. That coaching staff, minus Chip Kelly, has been there forever in their same roles. 6 of their 9 coaches have been there a decade or more. 4 of them for more than 20 years.

Dawg61
10-13-2013, 11:35 PM
Where there is a will there is a way. I want what they are drinking at MSU.