PDA

View Full Version : Will the breaking news today hurt attendance Saturday Night?

Jack Lambert
08-27-2018, 02:38 PM
Just curious what you think.

hopsondawg22
08-27-2018, 02:54 PM
Already planned on spending the weekend busting doves and catching the game from the living room. But, I don?t expect it to weaken attendance.

ShotgunDawg
08-27-2018, 02:54 PM
Yes. I would not expected Fitz's girlfriend or family to be there, thus shrinking the attendance by 5 or so people

TUSK
08-27-2018, 03:01 PM
Shirley it'll be a hard sellout... New coach, new excitement, really good team, first game of the year.....

no?

LC Dawg
08-27-2018, 03:01 PM
I don't think Fitz not playing will affect attendance. I don't expect a good crowd though. We are lucky it's a 6:30 kickoff because if it were a day game attendance would be embarrassingly low.

ShotgunDawg
08-27-2018, 03:05 PM
I don't think Fitz not playing will affect attendance. I don't expect a good crowd though. We are lucky it's a 6:30 kickoff because if it were a day game attendance would be embarrassingly low.

Bullshit

Why would it be an embarrasingly low attedance?

What evidence do you have to make that statement?

LC Dawg
08-27-2018, 03:35 PM
Bullshit

Based on recent non-conference games against weak opponents when it was hot as hell and combining that info with it being the opening day of dove season.

ShotgunDawg
08-27-2018, 03:41 PM
Based on recent non-conference games against weak opponents when it was hot as hell and combining that info with it being the opening day of dove season.

Is our attendance really effected by the start of dove season?

That seems absurd to me. Do people look more forward to dove season than college football season? I don't know any of those people.

If so, that's not exactly the type of commitment that helps programs get over the hump IMO

Irondawg
08-27-2018, 03:47 PM

That seems absurd to me. Do people look more forward to dove season than college football season? I don't know any of those people.

If so, that's not exactly the type of commitment that helps programs get over the hump IMO

You'd be surprised. It's a big event for a bunch of folks - the night game gives us a chance to make it decent because you can do a morning and early afternoon hunt and still maybe make the game. It's still going to put a small dent in attendance though. The cooler weather at night helps out a ton as well

msstate7
08-27-2018, 03:51 PM
Only 602 tickets on stubhub, which is a good sign

LC Dawg
08-27-2018, 03:51 PM

Yes, our attendance is affected by dove season. I don't dove hunt so it doesn't affect me. Day game attendance suffers a lot more than night games. Some people close enough will hunt and still make the game.
I don't expect to have a good tailgating crowd Saturday because of the heat and dove hunting but I hope the game crowd is good.
I personally think its unacceptable to not have a sellout for the #18 team in the nation with the excitement of a new coach but actual sellouts have been rare, especially for non-conference.

ShotgunDawg
08-27-2018, 04:04 PM
Saturday's weather looks to be a high of 91 & a low of 69 with a 40% chance of rain.

So looks to be in the mid to upper 80s & possibly humid.

Not horrible

TUSK
08-27-2018, 04:10 PM

That's kinda what I was thinkin' 'Gun...

ShotgunDawg
08-27-2018, 04:14 PM
That's kinda what I was thinkin' 'Gun...

Yeah Tusk. Until our fan base stops stepping on their dick it'll be tough to really take another step.

This type of thing would never happen at Bama. It's pretty sad IMO

LC Dawg
08-27-2018, 04:16 PM
Saturday's weather looks to be a high of 91 & a low of 69 with a 40% chance of rain.

So looks to be in the mid to upper 80s & possibly humid.

Not horrible

I should admit that I haven't looked at the forecast for Saturday but I was in Starkville this past weekend and it was miserably humid. We ate lunch outside Saturday and were discussing tailgating and dreading the heat. If the humidity will drop some it may not be that bad.

Jack Lambert
08-27-2018, 04:17 PM
Yeah Tusk. Until our fan base stops stepping on their dick it'll be tough to really take another step.

This type of thing would never happen at Bama. It's pretty sad IMO

Those are some long dicks.

TUSK
08-27-2018, 04:20 PM
Those are some long dicks.

You're en fuego, today, DevilDawg....

Liverpooldawg
08-27-2018, 04:39 PM
Bullshit

It won't be a big crowd.

Ezsoil
08-27-2018, 04:45 PM
Bullshit

Well there are tickets available at every outlet including the MSU ticket office....stubhub has hundreds for $6..

Leeshouldveflanked
08-27-2018, 04:53 PM
Last I checked, there were more tickets available for Bama-Ole Miss than SFA-MSU....

TUSK
08-27-2018, 05:00 PM
Last I checked, there were more tickets available for Bama-Ole Miss than SFA-MSU....

That's a sad commentary on the OM fan base... I'd guess it'll sell out even if it takes 30,000 Bammers to do so... We did set the VHS attendance record last trip there (I think)...

Todd4State
08-27-2018, 06:05 PM

Last year I think all of our OOC games were at 11 AM if I'm not mistaken. That hurt attendance a lot.

Activated Alpha
08-27-2018, 06:47 PM
Any early football game in the south would suffer despite who's playing. As any bammer fan would say, "It'll be hotter than a sheep's titty." Lucky for us it's at night.

RocketDawg
08-27-2018, 06:48 PM
I don't think it'll hurt opening day attendance at all.

Jack Lambert
08-27-2018, 07:42 PM
Last year I think all of our OOC games were at 11 AM if I'm not mistaken. That hurt attendance a lot.

I remember opening day being a cool one. Cool for September.

LC Dawg
08-27-2018, 07:54 PM

2 of the 3 were and I agree that hurts attendance but I think other things affect it just as much. It takes a significant financial investment and a time investment to attend a game. Some people don't want to make that commitment for a glorified scrimmage when they can watch it at home for free and have more time to do other things. Mullen didn't help when it seemed that he put almost no effort in OOC games.
My wife and I love music and have wanted to go to the Piney Woods Picnic the last couple of years but it has fallen on a home game weekend. I love their lineup this year but I will be at the ULL game because I feel I'm committed to go because I bought season tickets and I'm a member of a tailgate group. I also love Mississippi State and feel like our team deserves my support even though I think I would enjoy the Piney Woods Picnic more than what should be a thrashing of ULL.

RocketDawg
08-27-2018, 07:59 PM
I remember opening day being a cool one. Cool for September.

I was curious ... you can find almost anything on the internet. What I found was for Jackson, MS, so Starkville may have been a little cooler. The high was 88 and low was 64. The game with Charleston Southern was at 3:00 p.m. I seem to remember that last summer was pretty brutal, so yeah, that would have felt "cool", or at least tolerable. I can't even remember if we went to that game.

RocketDawg
08-27-2018, 08:01 PM

According to hailstate, our opening game with Charleston Southern last year was at 3:00 in the afternoon.

TUSK
08-27-2018, 09:08 PM
I may get flamed for this, but I think it’s imperative to fill up the joint (at least on opening day with a new coach) regardless of “tee time” & other external factors in order to send a message that you are “knocking on the door”...

But I do understand that ticket prices, convenience, TV, etc have a mitigating effect on attendance...

Hail State
08-27-2018, 09:10 PM
Attendance will not be effected in the least bit. Stop getting your hair all up over this. We have good fans. Taking the bait and getting bent out shape makes you look stupid.

BuckyIsAB****
08-27-2018, 09:16 PM

Cmon dude...I know a lot of folks who miss the first game for Dove season and the Arkansas game at home for the first day of deer season depending on the time for both.

Our ability to go over the hump has 0 to do with fans not going to a game when they want to go hunting. Lighten up

Lance Harbor
08-28-2018, 07:18 AM
It won't be a big crowd. Crappy opponent. Holiday weekend. Lot's of people and students going out of town. Oh, and it's pretty easy to get a hotel room:

https://www.kayak.com/hotels/Starkville,MS-c8798/2018-08-31/2018-09-02/2adults?sort=rank_a

It won't be a big crowd.

Liverpooldawg
08-28-2018, 08:08 AM
Attendance will not be effected in the least bit. Stop getting your hair all up over this. We have good fans. Taking the bait and getting bent out shape makes you look stupid.

You are right there. It wouldn't be that big of a crowd no matter who is at QB. I'm just glad it's at night. That will help some.

Bothrops
08-28-2018, 12:38 PM
I will be surprised if it's a big crowd. Dove season probably doesn't hurt that much though, because the MSU dove hunters I know would be watching this game on TV either way. Labor day, TV and the anticipation of a poor opponent hurts. I'd love to see 52ish, but I doubt we get there.

45-50K is going to be a hell of a lot different than the crowds JoMo was used to in Happy Valley. You could put DWS on one side plus half endzone in that place.

Jack Lambert
08-28-2018, 01:19 PM

Sounds to me your the one getting hair all up. I just asked a simple question and I have yet gotten bent out of shape or taking bait.

Hail State
08-28-2018, 01:35 PM
Sounds to me your the one getting hair all up. I just asked a simple question and I have yet gotten bent out of shape or taking bait.

He always takes things to the infinite level. Like calling out our fanbase saying we don't have what it takes to take our program to the next level because attendance MIGHT be bad Saturday.

It will be packed Saturday. He gets all dramatic and makes a problem where there ain't one.

Jack Lambert
08-28-2018, 01:37 PM
He always takes things to the infinite level. Like calling out our fanbase saying we don't have what it takes to take our program to the next level because attendance MIGHT be bad Saturday.

It will be packed Saturday. He gets all dramatic and makes a problem where there ain't one.

I wasn't sure who you were replying to.