PDA

View Full Version : I keep hearing how good The Bears WR's are and I believe they are that good but......

Jack Lambert
08-23-2018, 07:40 PM
Everyone seems to forget that ole miss has only won 11 games in two seasons with them. Talk about talent being wasted.

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-23-2018, 08:23 PM
That D is absolutely abysmal though, and the run game isn't good enough to make D's respect it. The fact they've won 11 games in 2 years -instead of say 7- is because of the OL that is ok at pass protection, a decent passing QB, and the freak WRs. The WRs have saved them from being a complete laughing stock on the field

The problem with the perception is that when people think of OM, they naturally think of how great those WRs are and they get blinded to the flaws that still sum up to OM being a bad team. I think if you make the D a little better and the WRs a little worse, OM would win the same number of games. But the talking heads would view them as being worse just because there's no "dangerous" unit to build a positive mental image around. Same thing happens with LSU and their RBs; yeah the RB is elite, but the passing game is so bad the O overall sucks, but every year analysts talk about how tough it'll be for teams to stop them because of it. Problems with the OL and QB get somewhat overlooked because of Guice/Fournette overshadowing them.

Same thing happens in reverse- if you want to make a team bad, it's easy to find the one really terrible unit and say that's the reason they'll go 3-9. Talking heads in the media though are always looking to hype, so the OM WRs are what they pay attention too

ShotgunDawg
08-23-2018, 09:04 PM
My biggest question with Ole Miss is: what if Ta'amu really isn't very good?

dawgday166
08-23-2018, 09:08 PM
Don't sell the Bears short. Their Oline pretty good too. Not sure on D yet tho. I think they'll surprise a team or 2 this year.

Jack Lambert
08-23-2018, 09:18 PM
Don't sell the Bears short. Their Oline pretty good too. Not sure on D yet tho. I think they'll surprise a team or 2 this year.

I think they are going to put the fear in Bama but end up losing by 20.

dawgday166
08-23-2018, 09:21 PM

I kinda think that may happen too, early in the game. I know I hope we don't take them lightly this year. Maybe Moorhead won't be on phone with TN & FL this year. *

codeDawg
08-23-2018, 09:46 PM
All UM fans care about at the end of the day is pointing to an eliete player or two on a team. They want the chandelier in the pop up tent. It’s about being perceived as someone who could be the best, not actually being the best.

Captain Falcon
08-23-2018, 10:09 PM

This. He had good games against Arkansas, Kentucky, and ULL, and completed a few long passes against us (even though he was less than 50% for the game), but we’ve yet to see him for a full year when teams actually have film on him. I think there are still some questions about him.

Maridian Dawg
08-23-2018, 10:36 PM
All UM fans care about at the end of the day is pointing to an eliete player or two on a team. They want the chandelier in the pop up tent. It’s about being perceived as someone who could be the best, not actually being the best.
THIS. All my OM buddies jerk off to AJ and DK, but refuse to talk about any other position or area on the team. I think they're offense can be explosive, but a decent secondary can shut Ta'amu down. And don't even get me started on Corral. If they get into a game where their defense would have to do the heavy-lifting, things will get dicey very quickly.

justwin
08-23-2018, 10:40 PM
what happens when every SECW DC & Muschamp double team AJ and take him out of the lineup? I dont see any other threats in that scenario

ShotgunDawg
08-23-2018, 11:04 PM
what happens when every SECW DC & Muschamp double team AJ and take him out of the lineup? I dont see any other threats in that scenario

Metcalf and Lodge are better than anything we have. Guidry MAY be better but hasn't proven anything

TUSK
08-24-2018, 01:00 AM
what happens when every SECW DC & Muschamp double team AJ and take him out of the lineup? I dont see...

FIFY

msbulldog
08-24-2018, 06:29 AM

I bet Saban runs the score up by 60 again, he ain't forgot the recently beat him twice. He's just that kind of A-hole.

Ari Gold
08-24-2018, 06:54 AM
They are the SEC version of a 7-7 team
That won’t win you many games.

But yes those trio of WRs are as advertised

confucius say
08-24-2018, 07:00 AM
Metcalf and Lodge are better than anything we have. Guidry MAY be better but hasn't proven anything

Neither has Lodge. He's averaged 19 receptions per year for 304 yards per year over his three year career. Yet he's better than anybody on our roster 🙄

Behrdawg
08-24-2018, 07:45 AM
In today's SEC, you aren't going to win big without a strong RB. Do they even have a guy?

MStateDawg
08-24-2018, 08:16 AM
They have 2 other high end (possibly NFL caliber) receivers. Putting 2 guys on AJ isn't some guaranteed success strategy.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-24-2018, 08:19 AM

Throw it to Metcalf and Lodge.

ShotgunDawg
08-24-2018, 08:27 AM
Neither has Lodge. He's averaged 19 receptions per year for 304 yards per year over his three year career. Yet he's better than anybody on our roster ��

He is at this point.

thf24
08-24-2018, 09:53 AM

I think it's telling that SECN has been hyping the shit out of AJ and OM's WR stable, but hasn't said one word about the guy who's going to be throwing to them.

MedDawg
08-24-2018, 10:50 AM
Everyone seems to forget that ole miss has only won 11 games in two seasons with them. Talk about talent being wasted.

Their WR's are top notch, but don't forget that OM has a mediocre running game (#89 in rushing yards in 2017), and finished only #37 in scoring offense. OM fans (and some national writers) act like they were a top scoring offense last year and should have "one of the best offenses in college football" this year, but the stats don't back them up. They only had about 1,600 yards rushing as a team in 2017, and their 1,000-yard running back is now gone.

TNDawg35
08-24-2018, 10:54 AM
Haven't y'all seen what they like to do. Hawaii 5-0 will suck cause people have film. Teams will tee off on him and halfway through the yr, he will get yanked for Corral. No one will have film on him and he will do good and NM will think he is god again.

Seems like it happens every yr now...

I seen it dawg
08-24-2018, 11:01 AM

Or next Saturday he gets blown the hell up first quarter and lost for the yr....

NCDawg
08-24-2018, 11:07 AM

Their OL is pretty good. They gave Ta'Mu (whatever) plenty of time to throw against our defense last year, and they knocked our defensive line and LB off the ball when their mediocre RB ran for long TD's against us last year.

BB30
08-24-2018, 01:58 PM
Matt Luke is going to coach them out of some of their winnable games and I would be willing to bet by the middle end of the season Brown will be looking at his draft stock vs winning another game or two. Their defense was quite arguably the worst defense in the country in regards to P5 defenses last year and I don't see many game changers coming through those doors. I take that back after looking, they weren't but 115th out of 129 teams is pretty close.

BrunswickDawg
08-24-2018, 05:19 PM
Their OL is pretty good. They gave Ta'Mu (whatever) plenty of time to throw against our defense last year, and they knocked our defensive line and LB off the ball when their mediocre RB ran for long TD's against us last year.

Gave him time to get sacked 5 times and to go 10 of 24 - which is 44%. His last 2 SEC games - A&M and Us he was under 50%. His stats Egg Bowl were more about AJ Browns ability than his.

IMissJack
08-24-2018, 09:31 PM
Or next Saturday he gets blown the hell up first quarter and lost for the yr....

I was about to say, when you are one dimensional on offense, you are one injury away from zero dimensional.

Drewbowski
08-24-2018, 10:20 PM
And 1 of those 11 was State in Starkville.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-25-2018, 09:18 AM
Ole Miss has an exceptional receiving group and a very good offensive line. The whole issue is that defense. The defense will decide their season.

Pit Bull
08-25-2018, 12:15 PM

That has been their most talented group for the last several years.....but as you say other than the years Kemdiche was there, they pretty much went to waste. They can score plenty of points in the passing game, but cannot stop other teams passing or running, thus get outscored. They exposed our secondary last year to score just enough to upset us. Of course, had Fitz not been hurt, we win that game by 2+ TDs. Evan Engram was an absolute stud receiver and a total mismatch for us at TE or WR. He started his first year in the NFL....shows how good he was. Then throw in Stringfellow, Treadwell, Van Jefferson, etc, etc....they probably had the best receiving corps in the nation that year. They have an amazing niche for attracting WRs for some reason $$$.

Pit Bull
08-25-2018, 12:16 PM
Ole Miss has an exceptional receiving group and a very good offensive line. The whole issue is that defense. The defense will decide their season.

BINGO!

Pit Bull
08-25-2018, 12:21 PM

I guess we would then see what their newest hotshot QB can do.....Matt Corral. He's a bit of a problem child like Machine Gun Kelly was, but is very highly rated and recruited.

thf24
08-25-2018, 02:41 PM
I guess we would then see what their newest hotshot QB can do.....Matt Corral. He's a bit of a problem child like Machine Gun Kelly was, but is very highly rated and recruited.

Highly rated yes, highly recruited no. At least not when it mattered. They only got him because everyone else backed off of him.

lastmajordog
08-25-2018, 03:17 PM
delete