PDA

View Full Version : Good Article on MSU Recruiting Evaluation Process

ShotgunDawg
08-23-2018, 07:33 AM
https://twitter.com/brett_hudson/status/1032247147431976965?s=21

Pretty informative article here. Looks like we've made progress in our recruiting process.

TXDawg
08-23-2018, 07:50 AM
Great couple of articles from Hudson. Found this gem in Part 2:

"It's so unfair, especially to a linemen who developed a little bit later physically or coordination-wise ... to say, 'At our camp, he was no good, done with him,'" Villagrana said. "(If) he had some really good measurables and he had a decent skill-set, let's keep him in the tank. That ensures that we're going to continue to watch him.

"That's a frustration with some recruits, where they go to camp, they don't get an offer and they never hear from that guy again," he added.

Sound like a shot at Hev.

smootness
08-23-2018, 08:03 AM
Great couple of articles from Hudson. Found this gem in Part 2:

"It's so unfair, especially to a linemen who developed a little bit later physically or coordination-wise ... to say, 'At our camp, he was no good, done with him,'" Villagrana said. "(If) he had some really good measurables and he had a decent skill-set, let's keep him in the tank. That ensures that we're going to continue to watch him.

"That's a frustration with some recruits, where they go to camp, they don't get an offer and they never hear from that guy again," he added.

Sound like a shot at Hev.

This article was great, and I love the look into how we approach things. But when comparing to the old staff, especially when it's the new staff doing it, always take it with a grain of salt. No coach has ever come into anything and said, 'Things were already great here, we didn't need to change anything.'

ShotgunDawg
08-23-2018, 08:16 AM
I love how the recruiting staff has been expanded.

smootness
08-23-2018, 08:18 AM
I love how the recruiting staff has been expanded.

Agreed. That is definitely a positive change.

tireddawg
08-23-2018, 08:22 AM
This article was great, and I love the look into how we approach things. But when comparing to the old staff, especially when it's the new staff doing it, always take it with a grain of salt. No coach has ever come into anything and said, 'Things were already great here, we didn't need to change anything.'

I don't think the process will change much, it worked, and Villagrana knows what he's doing. The new staff may tweak it some, add to it, and def provide more effort. Jo ain't scared to approach big time recruits and that's one thing I didn't understand about Darn. As confident as he is and as big of any ego he has, you'd think he'd go to big time recruits with his nuts hanging, but he seemed scared to recruit them.

sandwolf
08-23-2018, 09:17 AM
Would someone mind linking the actual article instead of the tweet? Social media is blocked at the office...

ShotgunDawg
08-23-2018, 09:22 AM
Would someone mind linking the actual article instead of the tweet? Social media is blocked at the office...

http://cdispatch.com/sports/article.asp?aid=67901

sandwolf
08-23-2018, 09:33 AM
I don't think the process will change much, it worked, and Villagrana knows what he's doing. The new staff may tweak it some, add to it, and def provide more effort. Jo ain't scared to approach big time recruits and that's one thing I didn't understand about Darn. As confident as he is and as big of any ego he has, you'd think he'd go to big time recruits with his nuts hanging, but he seemed scared to recruit them.

I think his ego prevented him from doing the ass kissing that is often required during the recruiting process. Mullen is a really good coach, but if he ever wants to be great, he's going to have to fully buy into recruiting (and that includes holding his staff accountable for recruiting)......he'll never be a great recruiter just due to his personality, but he needs to realize that it's ok to tell kids a little bit of what they want to hear while they are recruits and then he and Hevesy can be assholes after they've signed on the dotted line.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-23-2018, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the heads up shotgun. Good reads.

TXDawg
08-25-2018, 01:07 AM
BUMP - Parts 3 and 4 are now up. They are linked in the Twitter post.