PDA

View Full Version : Urban Meyer

KOdawg1
08-22-2018, 08:08 PM
Suspended for the first 3 games this season

RocketDawg
08-22-2018, 08:12 PM
I'm surprised they punished him at all. If he'd lied to the OSU administration, that would be reason for firing. Apparently he did not do that. Lying to the media, not so bad ... it just hurt the feelings of some journalists.

Schultzy
08-22-2018, 08:22 PM
If he didn't lie to the administration, then why did they suspend him?

Score after one full inning.

Arky AD Jeff Long - 0
OSU Admins- 1

Ari Gold
08-22-2018, 08:32 PM
Maybe Urb can spend more time with his family now.. since that’s one reason he left Fla..
this guy is making Freeze look like half way decent

Captain Falcon
08-22-2018, 08:43 PM
"While those denials were plainly not accurate, Coach Meyer did not in our view deliberately lie."

How do you tell a lie that isn’t deliberate??

TUSK
08-22-2018, 08:46 PM
Love it. We’ll get to see his ass quit again...

After Tressel/TattooGate, this wasn’t unexpected.

And I won’t blame them, either.

KOdawg1
08-22-2018, 08:52 PM
When asked what he would say to the alleged victim, Urban said, "I have a message for everyone in this; Im sorry we are in this situation."

Percho
08-22-2018, 09:14 PM
Probably depends upon what, "is," is!

Cooterpoot
08-22-2018, 09:22 PM
AJ Green got 4 games and had to pay $1000 for selling a bowl game jersey. The NCAA, OSU, & Meyer are all a damn joke.

Goldendawg
08-22-2018, 09:29 PM
Suspended for the first 3 games this season

With or without pay? $7 mil a year, highest paid public employee in Ohio?

RocketDawg
08-22-2018, 09:35 PM
With or without pay? $7 mil a year, highest paid public employee in Ohio?

But isn't that like other coaches ... a relatively small base salary from the state, the rest from boosters?

RocketDawg
08-22-2018, 09:36 PM
If he didn't lie to the administration, then why did they suspend him?

Score after one full inning.

Arky AD Jeff Long - 0
OSU Admins- 1

Fair question, but the answer has to be optics. Looking to satisfy most people.

msstate7
08-22-2018, 09:45 PM
AJ Green got 4 games and had to pay $1000 for selling a bowl game jersey. The NCAA, OSU, & Meyer are all a damn joke.

Did the NCAA suspend urban?

Rustydawg
08-22-2018, 09:57 PM
Winning. Money. Everything else is shit.

Commercecomet24
08-22-2018, 10:04 PM

This exactly!

Cooterpoot
08-22-2018, 10:13 PM
Did the NCAA suspend urban?

Hell no. The NCAA wants that OSU $$$.

TrapGame
08-22-2018, 10:15 PM
Hugh Freeze will make his triumphant return to ole miss football Fall 2019.**

msstate7
08-22-2018, 10:26 PM
Hell no. The NCAA wants that OSU $$$.

I didn't think they did. Just wondering why you compared this to an NCAA case. The NCAA has hit Ohio state before though

Commercecomet24
08-22-2018, 10:36 PM
The Big 10 has always looked down their noses at the SEC and claimed the Big 10 to be a bastion of academia and morality. Yet they keep showing us their true colors. Win at all costs.

Cooterpoot
08-22-2018, 11:35 PM
I didn't think they did. Just wondering why you compared this to an NCAA case. The NCAA has hit Ohio state before though

I threw them in because they’d rather hurt a kid playing under their banner of amateurism than take action against a guy coaching under it who protected a wife beater. The NCAA controls their money. Nothing more.
Now, are we going to destroy a kid’s football career and take his free education because he didn’t feed his girlfriends dog? Crazyness

TUSK
08-23-2018, 12:30 AM
The Big 10 has always looked down their noses at the SEC and claimed the Big 10 to be a bastion of academia and morality. Yet they keep showing us their true colors. Win at all costs.

This is ABSOLUTELY correct.

When they catch lightning in a bottle & win, they pimp B1G academics.

When they get beaten down like a rented mule, they throw rocks at us...

Pit Bull
08-23-2018, 02:32 AM
Just read where investigators have discovered that Urban erased many messages from his smartphone before turning it over.....stay tuned, could get worse.

GreenheadDawg
08-23-2018, 07:12 AM
Just read where investigators have discovered that Urban erased many messages from his smartphone before turning it over.....stay tuned, could get worse.

It’s over. Nothing will happen

smootness
08-23-2018, 08:00 AM

Yeah, those findings were released in the report that was published after the suspension was announced. That was in their investigation that led to the suspension. He's only suspended 3 games.

Lord McBuckethead
08-23-2018, 08:02 AM

Well Meyer is an employee. AJ was free labor. Can't let the free labor have an inch of the good life.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is all that matters.

Jack Lambert
08-23-2018, 08:03 AM
It's their school and they can handle the situation as they see fit. It's their brand and they have to live with it. A lot of people are out rage over the punishment but I wonder how many of them would be out rage if Myer was at their school coaching and competing for the NC every season. I suspect just like OSU fans they would be out there suporting him and defending the decision. I also wonder how many are out rage because they just don't like Myers. It's is easy to sit back and throw rocks because you don't like a school or a coach. I just like many of you were out there defending Mullen's decision to keep Simmons and forgave Simmons. Also iI want to add in Myers case he didn't hit anyone.

It's over lets move on.

Cooterpoot
08-23-2018, 08:27 AM
Simmons was a kid that let taking up for a relatively be go too far. Meyer is an adult over kids. He allowed and covered up a coach on his staff to beat his wife- pregnant wife- and basically act as a damn perv. There’s no comparison.
We fired a coach for an affair. That’s far less disgusting than what Meyer did. Don’t even attempt to justify it.

DovaDawg
08-23-2018, 08:36 AM
But isn't that like other coaches ... a relatively small base salary from the state, the rest from boosters?

Which raises the question, will his six games without pay be based on his state salary but the boosters can still pay him fully?

THE Bruce Dickinson
08-23-2018, 08:48 AM
Love it. We?ll get to see his ass quit again...

After Tressel/TattooGate, this wasn?t unexpected.

And I won?t blame them, either.

^^^ Maybe the biggest Bama propaganda/myth there is

"Saban made Urban quit"

They have played 4 times head to head. The record is 2-2.

SEC Championship Games 1-1
CFB Playoff Games 1-0 to Urban

Saban has 6 national titles
Urban has 3

Urban is 12 years younger than Saban as well

Jack Lambert
08-23-2018, 08:54 AM
Simmons was a kid that let taking up for a relatively be go too far. Meyer is an adult over kids. He allowed and covered up a coach on his staff to beat his wife- pregnant wife- and basically act as a damn perv. There’s no comparison.
We fired a coach for an affair. That’s far less disgusting than what Meyer did. Don’t even attempt to justify it.

I agree about Simmons but that doesn't change the fact that he beat the shit out of a girl who was 25% his size. I am not also defending Meyer. I'm just saying it is easy to raise hell and point the figure when it's not your school. I sorry to say it but If Meyer was at State and going to the play off every year you would have MSU people defending the decision., Ya'll remember Joe Mixon? Yeah we all raised hell about it but you had OK folks out defending it. Also if it is proven that A&M was making players practice hurt and doing the things they were accused of and A&M turns a blind eye to it we will be raising hell about it and you will have A&M folks defending the decision. That is human nature.

MSUDAWGFAN
08-23-2018, 09:05 AM

"Saban made Urban quit"

Urban has 3

Another is this: Meyer faked a heart attack.

You don't get admitted in the hospital for faking health problems. He had legitimate health problems. He didn't quit because of Saban.

ShotgunDawg
08-23-2018, 09:16 AM
Here is what Ohio State's defense of Urban reminds me of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwdba9C2G14

LC Dawg
08-23-2018, 09:39 AM

"Saban made Urban quit"

Urban has 3

This is the truth. It's the only way they can deal with the fact that someone is competitive with Saban.

Johnson85
08-23-2018, 10:03 AM
It's their school and they can handle the situation as they see fit. It's their brand and they have to live with it. A lot of people are out rage over the punishment but I wonder how many of them would be out rage if Myer was at their school coaching and competing for the NC every season. I suspect just like OSU fans they would be out there suporting him and defending the decision. I also wonder how many are out rage because they just don't like Myers. It's is easy to sit back and throw rocks because you don't like a school or a coach. I just like many of you were out there defending Mullen's decision to keep Simmons and forgave Simmons. Also iI want to add in Myers case he didn't hit anyone.

It's over lets move on.

I would be upset if I was an OSU fan as to how they handled this. This is not a situation where you can split the baby. They could have come out and said while Meyer did not handle the issue in the manner they prefer, he complied with his contract and did not embroil himself or the university in a he said/she said situation involving adults off campus.

They could have come out and said that he violated his contract (although it probably would have been a loser claim for them w/r/t the buyout because of the clause limiting his reporting obligatino to "in connection with university events" or whatever it said) and fired him and used the more general clauses to at least negotiate down the buyout. Three games is just stupid. Yes, there can be contract violations/policy violations that merit suspension but not firing, but this was not a situation they should do that. Nut up one way or the other.

Martianlander
08-23-2018, 10:41 AM
Hugh Freeze will make his triumphant return to ole miss football Fall 2019.**

I know this was in jest, but it would not totally surprise me.

BB30
08-23-2018, 11:00 AM
It is all about the $$$$ and winning. They weren't going to be able to get out of that 38 million dollar contract and winning trumps everything else.

I don't understand why its so hard for a coach to just do the right thing and fire the guy when he found out about it. It is simple, you go to the AD and say I have a woman beater on my staff that has to go immediately. It's not like a position coach was really so important that he couldn't be fired.

Just go find another position coach, Saban does it every single year with coordinators and is fine, I am sure OSU and Meyer would have survived the loss of a position coach.

TrapGame
08-23-2018, 11:10 AM
I know this was in jest, but it would not totally surprise me.

I almost didn't put in the **. I can see them doing this. Luke is a place holder for the return of Freezus when he has purged the demons of lust from his mortal flesh.

Dawg2003
08-23-2018, 12:06 PM

It's over lets move on.

I agree. People love to pile on in a group. On the spectrum of things people have done, this is pretty mild. A lot of people probably would have done the same thing, but they can't miss an opportunity to point the finger at someone else. The kid dying at Maryland is a lot worse in the grand scheme of things, but that story disappeared. Makes you wonder.

Ari Gold
08-23-2018, 06:54 PM

It's over lets move on.

Comparing What happened with Jeffery and all the shit with Urban is ridiculous
A heat of the moment reaction by a 17 year old kid compared to a premeditated coverup by a head coach with A checkered past
And your take on Urban didn’t hit anyone? By not reporting it and sweeping it under the rug when it happeded he might as well had

Jack Lambert
08-23-2018, 07:13 PM
Comparing What happened with Jeffery and all the shit with Urban is ridiculous
A heat of the moment reaction by a 17 year old kid compared to a premeditated coverup by a head coach with A checkered past
And your take on Urban didn’t hit anyone? By not reporting it and sweeping it under the rug when it happeded he might as well had

I am not comparing shit. All I am doing is saying every school will stand up for their school and make excuses for their school when bad shit goes down their school. By the way bullying at schools is another hot item that everyone gets their asses in a up roar over and every other school in the South East was getting their asses in a up roar over Simmons. But it's our school and we made the decision to forgive the guy and give him a second chance. That paid off for him and Misss State but at the time we didn't know if he learned from his mistake and I am glad he did. Now if Simmons had sign with Ole Miss, Bama or someone else we would have had our asses in a up roar as well. So tell me you wouldn't have made negative comments about Ole Miss if Simmons had signed with them. I would have and I would still be doing it. That's the bottom line.

Now I don't like that bastard Meyer and I hate Ohio State and I hope both Meyer and OSU has to end up eating shit over it.

Ari Gold
08-23-2018, 07:22 PM
I am not comparing shit. All I am doing is saying every school will stand up for their school and make excuses for their school when shit goes down their your school. By the way bullying at schools is another hot item that everyone gets their asses in a up roar over and every other school in the South East was getting their asses in a up roar over Simmons. But it's our school and we made the decision to forgive the guy and give him a second chance. Now if Simmons had sign with Ole Miss, Bama or someone else we would have had our asses in a up roar as well. So tell me you wouldn't have made negative comments about Ole Miss if Simmons had signed with them. That's the bottom line.

This isn’t about Jeffery Simmons. That’s the bottom line.
It’s ****ing bullshit to even bring it up on here.
Compare it to Hugh Freeze or Art Briles or hell even Coach Cann .
How is that school looking right now standing up for Urban.??
If you are going to start comparing Urban and the situation there with college athletes you might as well start with the letter A and go all the way to W because every school has a situation
Oh and check out Urbs track record at Fla with arrest
And if what had happened with Jeffery had happened while he was enrolled at MSU its prob a whole different ballgame.

Jack Lambert
08-23-2018, 07:32 PM
This isn?t about Jeffery Simmons. That?s the bottom line.
It?s ****ing bullshit to even bring it up on here.
Compare it to Hugh Freeze or Art Briles or hell even Coach Cann .
How is that school looking right now standing up for Urban.??
If you are going to start comparing Urban and the situation there with college athletes you might as well start with the letter A and go all the way to W because every school has a situation
Oh and check out Urbs track record at Fla with arrest
And if what had happened with Jeffery had happened while he was enrolled at MSU its prob a whole different ballgame.

That's fine but wonder just how much of your up roar is because you hate Meyer or because he let a guy stay on his staff that was accused of beating his wife. I personally wished he was fire for both the reasons and I am happy as can be to have given Simmons a second chance. Reply to my post all you want because that is Ohio State and I don't give a shit what they do and this is my last post on the subject.

TUSK
08-23-2018, 08:31 PM
That's fine but wonder just how much of your up roar is because you hate Meyer or because he let a guy stay on his staff that was accused of beating his wife. I personally wished he was fire for both the reasons and I am happy as can be to have given Simmons a second chance. Reply to my post all you want because that is Ohio State and I don't give a shit what they do and this is my last post on the subject.

You’re correct.

justwin
08-23-2018, 10:47 PM
Urban is the best coach in America by far. He has won big at every stop including NCs at different schools. Plus, he's never coached in the most fertile conference in America in college football, the SECW, but still has won.

Saban coached at Mich State for 5 seasons, 3 of which were 6 win seasons. Saban then coached 5 seasons @ LSU, 2 of where were 8 wins & one 9 win. For comparison, Les Miles coached 12 seasons @ LSU and his worst 2 seasons were 8 wins. Much of Saban's success is due to REC.

Ohio State had to do what they had to do to keep him.

TUSK
08-24-2018, 01:15 AM
Urban is the best coach in America by far. He has won big at every stop including NCs at different schools. Plus, he's never coached in the most fertile conference in America in college football, the SECW, but still has won.

Saban coached at Mich State for 5 seasons, 3 of which were 6 win seasons. Saban then coached 5 seasons @ LSU, 2 of where were 8 wins & one 9 win. For comparison, Les Miles coached 12 seasons @ LSU and his worst 2 seasons were 8 wins. Much of Saban's success is due to REC.

Ohio State had to do what they had to do to keep him.

Welcome back, C34!

BiscuitEater
08-24-2018, 05:55 AM
You don't get admitted in the hospital for faking health problems. He had legitimate health problems.

Apparently, you don't work in the medical field. Went to an Emergency Room one night about 20 years ago. TV had the NBA playoffs on. Game over .. half the ER emptied.

With malpractice lawyers today, hospitals can't afford the risk. You may not stay long BUT they will admit you.

msbulldog
08-24-2018, 06:22 AM
It's pretty simple, Zach Smith worked for Urban for a long time. He knows where a lot of Urban's bodies are buried, Urban didn't want to fire him for that reason.

RocketDawg
08-24-2018, 07:08 PM
Which raises the question, will his six games without pay be based on his state salary but the boosters can still pay him fully?

Thought it was 3 games, not 6. Anyway, good question. If it's his entire salary, that would be a pretty substantial fine of about $2.5M or $5M, depending on 3 or 6 games without pay. No idea what his state salary is, but probably much, much less than what the total amount is.