PDA

View Full Version : Even Kirk hierbstreet is giving us love....the woolly wool keeps growing.....

99jc
08-21-2018, 07:21 PM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2018/08/21/college-football-predictions-kirk-herbstreit-espn-2018-season/1051653002/

MetEdDawg
08-21-2018, 07:28 PM
Here's the thing. This team was 9-4 last year. We are better at every single position. The only argument that can legitimately be made against us is that we don't know what the new staff will do. I'll address that.

I will continue to maintain that Dan Mullen underperformed at MSU because of his in game coaching and inability to recruit. Yes Dan changed the culture some and fixed a lot of things. But I compare him to a principal that walks in at a school and spends a lot of money to make things better. It's easy to get better when you spend money. Get new resources, better stadium, energize a fan base, etc. You can't help but get better. But what you do culturally is what really matters when trying to compete with the big boys and make yourself known on the national stage.

I think we had a cultural issue under Mullen. I think Moorhead has hired a markedly improved staff and I think Moorhead has the temperament and experience to do what's necessary to make us a winner.

99jc
08-21-2018, 07:35 PM
I have to admit I am not totally sold on Moorhead yet. I like him and his hires. If he is as good as everybody thinks he will be we win 11 games. If we go 8-4 or worse he is a bust.

msstate7
08-21-2018, 07:39 PM
I have to admit I am not totally sold on Moorhead yet. I like him and his hires. If he is as good as everybody thinks he will be we win 11 games. If we go 8-4 or worse he is a bust.

I'm waiting to see. I do think he will be good, but I doubt he walks on water like most our fanbase believes.

ShotgunDawg
08-21-2018, 07:40 PM
Bama may be unreal but how would anyone know with so few returning starters? And that's not even getting into the Tua hype parade.

Saban's best team?

Jarius
08-21-2018, 07:41 PM
Here's the thing. This team was 9-4 last year. We are better at every single position. The only argument that can legitimately be made against us is that we don't know what the new staff will do. I'll address that.

I will continue to maintain that Dan Mullen underperformed at MSU because of his in game coaching and inability to recruit. Yes Dan changed the culture some and fixed a lot of things. But I compare him to a principal that walks in at a school and spends a lot of money to make things better. It's easy to get better when you spend money. Get new resources, better stadium, energize a fan base, etc. You can't help but get better. But what you do culturally is what really matters when trying to compete with the big boys and make yourself known on the national stage.

I think we had a cultural issue under Mullen. I think Moorhead has hired a markedly improved staff and I think Moorhead has the temperament and experience to do what's necessary to make us a winner.

We didn’t have a cultural issue under Mullen. That was one of the main things he did right. Our guys played their asses off. His only issue as a coach is his recruiting and some in game decisions. Yes, he left us a loaded team, but he had 2 loaded teams in 9 years. That was the problem.

ShotgunDawg
08-21-2018, 07:43 PM
I'm waiting to see. I do think he will be good, but I doubt he walks on water like most our fanbase believes.

With Mullen, we knew what his flaws were and accepted them to some degree.

With Moorhead, we just don't know the weakness yet, and he does have one like every coach has them, but because we don't know what the weakness is yet, we aren't totally sure we can live with it.

Once we figure out what JoMo is bad at, we'll likely feel much more comfortable

msstate7
08-21-2018, 08:03 PM
We didn’t have a cultural issue under Mullen. That was one of the main things he did right. Our guys played their asses off. His only issue as a coach is his recruiting and some in game decisions. Yes, he left us a loaded team, but he had 2 loaded teams in 9 years. That was the problem.

Maybe my expectations are too low; but if we have an actual sec contender 2 out of every 9 years, I'm good.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-21-2018, 08:04 PM
Maybe my expectations are too low; but if we have an actual sec contender 2 out of every 9 years, I'm good.

Yes your expectations are too low.

msstate7
08-21-2018, 08:09 PM

So to be a consistent sec championship threat, we have to recruit top 4 in sec year-in, year-out. What's your plan to recruit with Georgia, bama, aTm, auburn, and LSU? We have a loaded team with plenty of hype entering the season and loaded state of HS talent, yet we can't keep in-state studs home and break through to top of sec recruiting. How you figure we gonna do this in years with even less talent?

maroonmania
08-21-2018, 08:09 PM
We didn?t have a cultural issue under Mullen. That was one of the main things he did right. Our guys played their asses off. His only issue as a coach is his recruiting and some in game decisions. Yes, he left us a loaded team, but he had 2 loaded teams in 9 years. That was the problem.

2 loaded teams? When was the 2nd? Besides the 2014 team with Mullen we never went better than 8-4 in a season. If you don't win more than 8 games on a 12 game schedule you don't fit the description of loaded.

msstate7
08-21-2018, 08:10 PM
2 loaded teams? When was the 2nd? Besides the 2014 Mullen we never went better than 8-4 in a season. If you don't win more than 8 game you don't fit the description of loaded.

Look at preseason poll

Ifyouonlyknew
08-21-2018, 08:17 PM
So to be a consistent sec championship threat, we have to recruit top 4 in sec year-in, year-out. What's your plan to recruit with Georgia, bama, aTm, auburn, and LSU? We have a loaded team with plenty of hype entering the season and loaded state of HS talent, yet we can't keep in-state studs home and break through to top of sec recruiting. How you figure we gonna do this in years with even less talent?

I don't think we have to be top 4 just consistent 5-7. Recruit in the 17-21 range instead of 26-30 range. That's 2-3 more 4* a class. Outside of Bama we've held our own with every other team in the West. So a couple better players each year would put us in position to challenge for the West every 2-3 years. I didn't say win but challenge.

TaleofTwoDogs
08-21-2018, 08:18 PM

I second that emotion. The idea is to play consistently with the big boys. 5 or 6 out of every 9 is where we need to be.

pilldawg
08-21-2018, 08:44 PM
I don't think we have to be top 4 just consistent 5-7. Recruit in the 17-21 range instead of 26-30 range. That's 2-3 more 4* a class. Outside of Bama we've held our own with every other team in the West. So a couple better players each year would put us in position to challenge for the West every 2-3 years. I didn't say win but challenge.

Is will the team play with a toughness and edge? It seems like he runs an NFL style camp with not so much in your face tough love and/or brutal preseason camp. This team may mask some of that being so veteran, but that is my biggest worry. Hope he is able to instill a toughness into the team with his seemingly humble and aw shucks personality.

PMDawg
08-21-2018, 08:50 PM
"Fighting Stupidity & Ignorance With Every Key Stroke"

Keep up the fight buddy! If you keep trying hard, I'm sure one day you'll overcome them both. No doubt, it will be a long hard fight, but don't ever give up!

Jack Lambert
08-21-2018, 09:23 PM
Bama may be unreal but how would anyone know with so few returning starters? And that's not even getting into the Tua hype parade.

Saban's best team?

Saban might have to do his best coaching job he has done since being at Bama this season.

Ezsoil
08-21-2018, 09:39 PM

Mullen moved the needle about expectations. His formula was simple, schedule 4 wins in the OOC and dominate the east..that gets MSU bowl eligible. Now that Arky and A&M are likely wins and we are close to even splits with Auburn and LSU, 8 wins is a reasonable expectation. So perhaps a fresh face and new perspective can move the needle to 10 win seasons.

There are two things about Moorhead make him an immediate upgrade from Mullen.

1. The best player will play
2. Clock management (any coach, and most of us on this board can manage the clock better than Mullen)

Are these worth 2 wins, I think they are....

GreenheadDawg
08-21-2018, 09:41 PM
Is will the team play with a toughness and edge? It seems like he runs an NFL style camp with not so much in your face tough love and/or brutal preseason camp. This team may mask some of that being so veteran, but that is my biggest worry. Hope he is able to instill a toughness into the team with his seemingly humble and aw shucks personality.

Well maybe we can hire Durkin and Court to come make men out of these twats. Because you can’t show toughness without screaming and public humiliation. ***

maroonmania
08-21-2018, 09:46 PM
Look at preseason poll

Well, this team's story is yet to be written but certainly things look good at the moment. I was assuming the 9 seasons referred to were the 9 teams that Mullen actually coached.

pilldawg
08-21-2018, 09:54 PM
Well maybe we can hire Durkin and Court to come make men out of these twats. Because you can?t show toughness without screaming and public humiliation. ***

I was thinking more of a Saban or Smart style edge. Just a concern based off of my theory that most good coaches are dickheads.

TUSK
08-21-2018, 10:39 PM

Saban's best team?

Assuming Tua starts, this is the the best pre-season Bammer team since MDL has been there.

Conversely, it is the most suspect 2ndary in several years. The front 7 will be comparable to the mean, IMO.

dawgs
08-21-2018, 11:57 PM

You don't need to be an asshole to coach guys up and get them to play hard. I'd tune out an asshole coach and stop trying. I'd run through a wall for a coach that treated me with respect and coached me instead of yelling at me and calling me a ***** under the guise of "tough love".

dawgs
08-22-2018, 12:00 AM
I was thinking more of a Saban or Smart style edge. Just a concern based off of my theory that most good coaches are dickheads.

There's a lot of dickhead coaches that suck too. Being an asshole isn't a prerequisite to being a good coach. When almost every coach is a huge asshole, then almost all of the good and bad ones are gonna be assholes.

Jarius
08-22-2018, 06:57 AM
2 loaded teams? When was the 2nd? Besides the 2014 team with Mullen we never went better than 8-4 in a season. If you don't win more than 8 games on a 12 game schedule you don't fit the description of loaded.

I probably should have said ten years. This team is loaded and he is responsible for that.

Ari Gold
08-22-2018, 07:14 AM
I probably should have said ten years. This team is loaded and he is responsible for that.

Yes you have to give some credit since he was the HC for the talent that is here.
But there are a lot of names on that defense this year that CDM had very little if any influence on being here. Believe what you want I’m just telling you facts.

hacker
08-22-2018, 07:24 AM
Well, this team's story is yet to be written but certainly things look good at the moment. I was assuming the 9 seasons referred to were the 9 teams that Mullen actually coached.

He said Mullen "left us a loaded team"

pilldawg
08-22-2018, 07:26 AM
There's a lot of dickhead coaches that suck too. Being an asshole isn't a prerequisite to being a good coach. When almost every coach is a huge asshole, then almost all of the good and bad ones are gonna be assholes.

I am not worried that we will be good or bad. I am prettty sure we will be good, but will our team be good like a Mark Richt coached team or good like a Smart/Saban type team. I believe the big difference is mental toughness and is Moorhead able to instill that mental edge that makes good teams a little better. We will soon find out.

ShotgunDawg
08-22-2018, 07:35 AM
Assuming Tua starts, this is the the best pre-season Bammer team since MDL has been there.

Conversely, it is the most suspect 2ndary in several years. The front 7 will be comparable to the mean, IMO.

Really?

I don't understand this perspective.

Its amazing how you guys have already decided how awesome Tua is. I just find the it fascinating how you guys are all in on him with so little evidence.

Jarius
08-22-2018, 08:01 AM
Yes you have to give some credit since he was the HC for the talent that is here.
But there are a lot of names on that defense this year that CDM had very little if any influence on being here. Believe what you want I’m just telling you facts.

My entire premise was to say he didn't have a loaded team enough times, so I'm with you.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-22-2018, 08:03 AM
I am not worried that we will be good or bad. I am prettty sure we will be good, but will our team be good like a Mark Richt coached team or good like a Smart/Saban type team. I believe the big difference is mental toughness and is Moorhead able to instill that mental edge that makes good teams a little better. We will soon find out.

Or good like Dabo or Chris Peterson or David Shaw or even the guy he just left James Franklin isn't a dickhead to his players. There's plenty good coaches who teams play well & hard without their coaches treating them like shit.

TrapGame
08-22-2018, 08:27 AM
Or good like Dabo or Chris Peterson or David Shaw or even the guy he just left James Franklin isn't a dickhead to his players. There's plenty good coaches who teams play well & hard without their coaches treating them like shit.

I guess if camp doesn't look like a scene out of The Junction Boys that means we'll be soft as Charmin.

Liverpooldawg
08-22-2018, 09:07 AM
That would be this year's team.

Bully13
08-22-2018, 09:39 AM
I know our overall history screams "Be cautiously optimistic" but based on the last 5 years, there is no reason not to have thick wool in my opinion.

The coaches poll has us at #18 and only 2 of our opponents are ranked higher pre-season.

I'm not expecting a trip to the final 4. I am expecting 9-3 at worse though with a legit chance at 10-2 and a Major Bowl Game. Why should my expectations be considered overly wooly? Would any fan outside the Blue Bloods be expecting differently? Why should we? Why focus more on our overall history than last year's results and returning depth? If JOMO's stint at Fordham had been just "above avg", I'd be willing to go along with "this is his 1st time head coaching" but his stint there was anything but "above avg". he inherited a team that had gone 1-10 the previous year and went 6-5 then the next year he wins more games in their school history. League titles with a pleothora of 1st time accomplishments for Fordham.

There is no logical reason for caution for us this year.

TrapGame
08-22-2018, 09:58 AM
I know our overall history screams "Be cautiously optimistic" but based on the last 5 years, there is no reason not to have thick wool in my opinion.

The coaches poll has us at #18 and only 2 of our opponents are ranked higher pre-season.

I'm not expecting a trip to the final 4. I am expecting 9-3 at worse though with a legit chance at 10-2 and a Major Bowl Game. Why should my expectations be considered overly wooly? Would any fan outside the Blue Bloods be expecting differently? Why should we? Why focus more on our overall history than last year's results and returning depth? If JOMO's stint at Fordham had been just "above avg", I'd be willing to go along with "this is his 1st time head coaching" but his stint there was anything but "above avg". he inherited a team that had gone 1-10 the previous year and went 6-5 then the next year he wins more games in their school history. League titles with a pleothora of 1st time accomplishments for Fordham.

There is no logical reason for caution for us this year.

Joe's magic at Fordham is like him going to Vandy and taking them to Atlanta his third and fourth years as HC.

tireddawg
08-22-2018, 10:01 AM
Agree Bully. I think Moorehead is the next elite coach. His approach is alot like Dabo's.

Johnson85
08-22-2018, 10:24 AM

I agree. I feel really good about Moorhead and I'm not sure there is another hire I would have traded for that was realistic (I would rank him a better hire than Chad Morris and a wayyyyy better hire than Pruitt). But I would have expected Mcelwain to be good too after doing well at Colorado St. It's just a crap shoot and and surprised so many of our fans have convinced themselves he's definitely better than Mullen already.

TUSK
08-22-2018, 11:15 AM
Really?

I don't understand this perspective.

Its amazing how you guys have already decided how awesome Tua is. I just find the it fascinating how you guys are all in on him with so little evidence.

You make a good point... But the evidence is overwhelming that Hurts struggles to throw the ball downfield... I'm not saying that TUA is "awesome", I'm just saying he can go through progressions (Hurts hasn't shown that very often) and throws a much more consistent, accurate downfield ball....

This article does a pretty decent job of showing the disparity: https://www.theringer.com/2018/1/9/16868318/alabama-tua-tagovailoa-national-championship-game-recap

Note: I meant to say that Bammer's Offense could be Saban's best yet... Not necessarily the whole team...

Bully13
08-22-2018, 11:24 AM
I agree. I feel really good about Moorhead and I'm not sure there is another hire I would have traded for that was realistic (I would rank him a better hire than Chad Morris and a wayyyyy better hire than Pruitt). But I would have expected Mcelwain to be good too after doing well at Colorado St. It's just a crap shoot and and surprised so many of our fans have convinced themselves he's definitely better than Mullen already.

The only thing we can go on right now is gut instinct and past history as far as the JOMO / Mullen comparison.

Gut instinct:

I believe what our former kicker said about Mullen over at SPS. It confirmed a lot about Mullen what others "in the know" have been saying for years: Mullen is a jerk and there's a difference between being a hard nosed, no nonsense coach and a jerk.

I believe what a poster posted here a while back who said he was in NYC for our bowl game and 4 of JOMO's former Fordham players came in to watch sporting MSU Gear. He's a loved man by his former players.

I know there a are exceptions to the rule. I am friends with someone who played at a high level in college (was invited to the Cowboy's camp but didn't make the cut) who has a close friend who played under Saban. I'm sure Token and Tusk will confirm this as well: Saban is an A-#1 Asshole who gets results out of intimidation , fear and assholedry. VERY few coaches can get the best from their players in that fashion. Most of The rest have to balance that shit out. All of them have their own unique style of getting 100% effort from all players.

From everything I've seen and heard, JOMO was Totally in charge of that Penn State Offense. He had a REMARKABLE stint as Fordham's HC.

Mullen definitely got 100% from a lot of our players, otherwise we would not have won as many games as we did. I just think JOMO will get MORE players keying in with 100% just out of pure love and respect for him. If a guy just doesn't have what it takes, I see JOMO putting his arm around the guy and asking him to have a sit down discussion with him as opposed to being an asshole like Mullen. These players love one another for the most part and when a coach shits on a player(s) they all talk and I don't think that is what clicks for 97% of the teams across the country.

I would not trade JOMO for MULLEN at all. And I sincerely mean it.

TrapGame
08-22-2018, 11:55 AM

McElwain walked into a culture problem at Florida that's been going on since the waning Urban Meyer years. Mullen has his hands full. You notice Boom turned South Carolina around pretty quick. Florida has problems that go beyond who the HC happens to be.

Tbonewannabe
08-22-2018, 02:30 PM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2018/08/21/college-football-predictions-kirk-herbstreit-espn-2018-season/1051653002/

Looking at the QBs, Fitz isn't listed at all. It has the top ten and then 5 that just missed. Oddly enough McSorely is #1. Stidham is #5 for the first SEC QB with Locke from Mizzou at #7, Fromm from UGA at #9, and Bentley from South Carolina #11, and Tua from Bama @14.

Here is hoping Fitz opens some eyes.

Tbonewannabe
08-22-2018, 02:36 PM
McElwain walked into a culture problem at Florida that's been going on since the waning Urban Meyer years. Mullen has his hands full. You notice Boom turned South Carolina around pretty quick. Florida has problems that go beyond who the HC happens to be.

Is this kind of like the issues at Texas? Does anyone think Mullen will be able to fix it or is he just going to win his 8-9 games and cash out in 3-4 years?

TrapGame
08-22-2018, 02:48 PM
Is this kind of like the issues at Texas? Does anyone think Mullen will be able to fix it or is he just going to win his 8-9 games and cash out in 3-4 years?

Exactly! Texas loaded with 5 stars and lets a shitty ole miss team beat them like a $2 hooker. Mullen walked into our situation with the clock cleaned so to speak. He's got cancers in the locker room.

BB30
08-22-2018, 04:46 PM
The only thing we can go on right now is gut instinct and past history as far as the JOMO / Mullen comparison.

Gut instinct:

I believe what our former kicker said about Mullen over at SPS. It confirmed a lot about Mullen what others "in the know" have been saying for years: Mullen is a jerk and there's a difference between being a hard nosed, no nonsense coach and a jerk.

I believe what a poster posted here a while back who said he was in NYC for our bowl game and 4 of JOMO's former Fordham players came in to watch sporting MSU Gear. He's a loved man by his former players.

I know there a are exceptions to the rule. I am friends with someone who played at a high level in college (was invited to the Cowboy's camp but didn't make the cut) who has a close friend who played under Saban. I'm sure Token and Tusk will confirm this as well: Saban is an A-#1 Asshole who gets results out of intimidation , fear and assholedry. VERY few coaches can get the best from their players in that fashion. Most of The rest have to balance that shit out. All of them have their own unique style of getting 100% effort from all players.

From everything I've seen and heard, JOMO was Totally in charge of that Penn State Offense. He had a REMARKABLE stint as Fordham's HC.

Mullen definitely got 100% from a lot of our players, otherwise we would not have won as many games as we did. I just think JOMO will get MORE players keying in with 100% just out of pure love and respect for him. If a guy just doesn't have what it takes, I see JOMO putting his arm around the guy and asking him to have a sit down discussion with him as opposed to being an asshole like Mullen. These players love one another for the most part and when a coach shits on a player(s) they all talk and I don't think that is what clicks for 97% of the teams across the country.

I think you most certainly can get what you need out of players being the a#1 a** hole. In order to do so you have to be the A#1 a hole to everybody equally on the field. I think for it to work you have to be more of a father figure off of the field so that the team will respect you.

Some of my favorite coaches were a holes on the field and yet, I felt like if I needed to I could go and talk to them about anything in my personal life and they would lend guidance/provide a helping hand.

Those were also some of the best teams I played for.

Conversely, I don't think you can be a nice coach and act like everyone's best friend and get the results your looking for. Kind of like a parent that tries to be their kids best friend all of the time and not a parenting figure. Players just won't respect you or at the very least won't take you seriously. I feel like this was one of Butch Jones problems and a large reason as to why they were pretty soft.

Pit Bull
08-22-2018, 07:33 PM

Saban's best team?

BAMA's 2nd and 3rd strings could win the SECC.

Bully13
08-22-2018, 07:40 PM

No

TUSK
08-22-2018, 09:03 PM

There’s literally 0-0.1% Chance that bammers 3rd team could win the SECC.

dawgs
08-22-2018, 09:33 PM
I think you most certainly can get what you need out of players being the a#1 a** hole. In order to do so you have to be the A#1 a hole to everybody equally on the field. I think for it to work you have to be more of a father figure off of the field so that the team will respect you.

Some of my favorite coaches were a holes on the field and yet, I felt like if I needed to I could go and talk to them about anything in my personal life and they would lend guidance/provide a helping hand.

Those were also some of the best teams I played for.

Conversely, I don't think you can be a nice coach and act like everyone's best friend and get the results your looking for. Kind of like a parent that tries to be their kids best friend all of the time and not a parenting figure. Players just won't respect you or at the very least won't take you seriously. I feel like this was one of Butch Jones problems and a large reason as to why they were pretty soft.

I don't respond to an asshole in my face yelling and calling me an idiot for missing a block or something. Come over and ****ing coach me to move my feet the proper way or use my hands differently, don't come yelling at me, because I'll shot you down. I'm a person and if you aren't gonna show me basic human decency, then I'm not gonna bust my ass for you.

TUSK
08-22-2018, 09:56 PM
I don't respond to an asshole in my face yelling and calling me an idiot for missing a block or something. Come over and ****ing coach me to move my feet the proper way or use my hands differently, don't come yelling at me, because I'll shot you down. I'm a person and if you aren't gonna show me basic human decency, then I'm not gonna bust my ass for you.

#millennialsmatter

TaleofTwoDogs
08-22-2018, 10:15 PM
Looking at the QBs, Fitz isn't listed at all. It has the top ten and then 5 that just missed. Oddly enough McSorely is #1. Stidham is #5 for the first SEC QB with Locke from Mizzou at #7, Fromm from UGA at #9, and Bentley from South Carolina #11, and Tua from Bama @14.

Here is hoping Fitz opens some eyes.

The writer of that article probably read a CL press clipping that said Fitz retired after the Egg Bowl injury and without him the MSU Delta Devils were toothless. ***

sandwolf
08-23-2018, 11:00 AM

I definitely wouldn't trade Moorhead the person for Mullen the person either, but I could say the same thing about Croom. At the end of the day, I don't care whether our coach is likable or a complete dick, just as long as he wins. And for the record, I think we have the best of both worlds with Moorhead.....I'm just anxious to see it.

dawgs
08-23-2018, 11:20 AM
#millennialsmatter

Nah, you earn respect. If you are a giant asshole who flies off the handle and berates me instead of coaching me, then you aren't earning respect. One thing millennials have right is that respect is not given blindly and indefinitely. There's a certain level of respect you give people for being a human being, but if someone acts in a way that doesn't garner respect, I'm not gonna continue to give them respect blindly because of a title or a position. Continuing to give an asshole respect because of a title isn't respect, that's fear or obligation.

I have a friend that is a partner in a law firm. I've had 3 other friends work for that law firm and quit within a year because the founding partner is a psychopath that berates and yells at associates constantly and treats them less than human. She told one guy she didn't wanna see his face anymore so he went to leave her office, she kept yelling that she didn't tel him to leave the office then made him stand in the corner while she yelled at his back. Another friend worked in their second office and she called him up yelling while he was meeting with a client. He told her he was with a client and would call her back, she told him to go to the other office and proceeded to go off on him cause a photographer had the same name as him so when you googled him name, pics of nude and scantily clad women came up and wanted to know what he was gonna do about it. She didn't earn their respect, they both left the firm soon thereafter. Sorry, but being an asshole just makes you an asshole. It doesn't garner respect.

Now you can be stern and demand discipline, and there's even a time and place to get loud, but being a maniac all the time just cheapens the occasions when you really do need to chew someone's ass out. Just look at last chance u, when you constantly yell at and berate guys, they just tune you out, and even though sometimes they deserve it, there's far too many times when an adult conversation or a coaching lesson would've been far more beneficial, and then when the coach does fly off the handle, the players know it's serious. Instead, they're pretty much assuming the coach is just losing his mind over some dumb menial shit every time he starts yelling and tune him out as soon as he raises his voice because he flies off the handle non-stop.

Dawg61
08-23-2018, 11:41 AM

I'm very comfortable. Some people aren't bad at anything.

TUSK
08-23-2018, 11:45 AM
Nah, you earn respect. If you are a giant asshole who flies off the handle and berates me instead of coaching me, then you aren't earning respect. One thing millennials have right is that respect is not given blindly and indefinitely. There's a certain level of respect you give people for being a human being, but if someone acts in a way that doesn't garner respect, I'm not gonna continue to give them respect blindly because of a title or a position. Continuing to give an asshole respect because of a title isn't respect, that's fear or obligation.

I have a friend that is a partner in a law firm. I've had 3 other friends work for that law firm and quit within a year because the founding partner is a psychopath that berates and yells at associates constantly and treats them less than human. She told one guy she didn't wanna see his face anymore so he went to leave her office, she kept yelling that she didn't tel him to leave the office then made him stand in the corner while she yelled at his back. Another friend worked in their second office and she called him up yelling while he was meeting with a client. He told her he was with a client and would call her back, she told him to go to the other office and proceeded to go off on him cause a photographer had the same name as him so when you googled him name, pics of nude and scantily clad women came up and wanted to know what he was gonna do about it. She didn't earn their respect, they both left the firm soon thereafter. Sorry, but being an asshole just makes you an asshole. It doesn't garner respect.

Now you can be stern and demand discipline, and there's even a time and place to get loud, but being a maniac all the time just cheapens the occasions when you really do need to chew someone's ass out. Just look at last chance u, when you constantly yell at and berate guys, they just tune you out, and even though sometimes they deserve it, there's far too many times when an adult conversation or a coaching lesson would've been far more beneficial, and then when the coach does fly off the handle, the players know it's serious. Instead, they're pretty much assuming the coach is just losing his mind over some dumb menial shit every time he starts yelling and tune him out as soon as he raises his voice because he flies off the handle non-stop.

I'm down with that, buddy... There's definitely a "line" that shouldn't be crossed... When it goes from "instructive/motivational" to "abuse", I believe that line has been crossed...

That being said, I also believe the "line" isn't static.

TrapGame
08-23-2018, 11:57 AM

Maybe Joe knows his flaws (unlike Mullen's Ego) and is willing to take critical advice from his coaches. I wonder how many times when Muffins screwed us on the clock by not using a TO when it was obviously needed an asst. coach was in his headset yelling "Are you effing kidding me?!" That's shit you need to learn from and Mullen NEVER did. His ego won't let him.

Tbonewannabe
08-23-2018, 12:46 PM

If you eliminate Bama's entire 1st string, they aren't winning MSU, Auburn, possibly LSU, and maybe Mizzou with that offense. Bama's greatest strength is their depth and they lose that advantage if you eliminate their 1st string.

TUSK
08-23-2018, 01:03 PM
If you eliminate Bama's entire 1st string, they aren't winning MSU, Auburn, possibly LSU, and maybe Mizzou with that offense. Bama's greatest strength is their depth and they lose that advantage if you eliminate their 1st string.

Lock would throw for 80 bazillion yards....