PDA

View Full Version : My wife weighs in on Tiger Woods two stroke penalty...

Original48
04-13-2013, 09:37 AM
Me: Tiger Woods was just given a two stroke penalty for an illegal drop. Sucks.
Her: Does he not know the rules by now?? Where was his caddy? He should be fired on the spot! And aren't there rules officials everywhere? Call one over! I mean..how long has he been playing golf?? He needs to fire his caddy.

And to think..only 20 short years ago she would walk through the room and roll her eyes when golf was on TV.

mparkerfd20
04-13-2013, 11:02 AM
Stupidest penalty in all of sports in my opinion.

Rick Danko
04-13-2013, 11:09 AM
No matter what happens from this point forward there will be a cloud over this tournament. If he wins, some will say he should have been dq'd and some will say it was a fair ruling and an amazing comeback. If he loses there will be some who say it was ultimately the masters tourney's fault for not picking up on this until he gave the interview. Ultimately, the ruling in my opinion came down to money and viewers. Bad deal either way but I believe the only answer to make sense would be for him to withdraw, but pretty positive that's not going to happen.

Original48
04-13-2013, 11:31 AM
Ultimately, the ruling in my opinion came down to money and viewers. Bad deal either way but I believe the only answer to make sense would be for him to withdraw, but pretty positive that's not going to happen.
As I stated on sixpack, it appears Mike Slive is moonlighting as a Masters rules official.

Quaoarsking
04-13-2013, 01:16 PM
Call me a con$piracy theori$t, but I think if it haf been anyone else, it would have been a DQ.

gravedigger
04-13-2013, 01:45 PM
All rulings in any sport should be made by the spirit of the rule first and foremost in the mind of he official.

That any professional sport outcome could depend on a phone in from a spectator to do what any official could do very easily is a joke. Calls are missed.

What I hate more than anything is that there are so many unwilling to use some common sense here. The two shot penalty removed far more than any advantage he could have gotten by where he dropped.

The biggest atrocity here is that a major championship doesn't have a better means of officiating than hoping people will call in and help them do what they should have been there to do in he first place.

PendingTransaction
04-13-2013, 02:34 PM
All rulings in any sport should be made by the spirit of the rule first and foremost in the mind of he official.

That any professional sport outcome could depend on a phone in from a spectator to do what any official could do very easily is a joke. Calls are missed.

What I hate more than anything is that there are so many unwilling to use some common sense here. The two shot penalty removed far more than any advantage he could have gotten by where he dropped.

The biggest atrocity here is that a major championship doesn't have a better means of officiating than hoping people will call in and help them do what they should have been there to do in he first place.

+1

State82
04-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Bingo. You nailed it right there.

FISHDAWG
04-15-2013, 10:17 AM
I think a bigger atrocity was going after the 14 year old for taking a few seconds longer to play his shot ... (Masters competition committee )- I know, lets charge the nobody teenager and let the superstar (who should know better) slide ... we wouldn't want to loose some TV viewers

slickdawg
04-15-2013, 10:26 AM
Well, it's not like this was the first time Tiger got in trouble for misplacing his balls.

fishwater99
04-15-2013, 10:36 AM
Yep, anyone but Tiger and they would have been Disqualified... I am so glad Tiger didn't win, but his old caddie did..

Dawgdom
04-15-2013, 02:21 PM