PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Transfer Rule

ShotgunDawg
08-20-2018, 08:50 PM
Just saw that Graham Ashcraft is eligible to play at UAB this season.

Has the NCAA just punted on making players sit out a year so long as they move to a college closer to their home?

So, for example: Could Lashely & Knott transfer from Bama next year to MSU & play immediately?

If not, why?

DogsofAnarchy
08-20-2018, 09:00 PM
Just saw that Braxton Ashcraft is eligible to play at UAB this season.

Has the NCAA just punted on making players sit out a year so long as they move to a college closer to their home?

So, for example: Could Lashely & Knott transfer from Bama next year to MSU & play immediately?

If not, why?

Yes they could, probably. The NCAA is creating a free agency nightmare in college football. Might be the end of the NCAA.

Cooterpoot
08-20-2018, 09:03 PM
Depends on sport.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-20-2018, 09:20 PM
Just saw that Braxton Ashcraft is eligible to play at UAB this season.

If not, why?

Are you talking about Graham Ashcraft?

Lord McBuckethead
08-20-2018, 09:58 PM
I don't know why they don't. Lashley is like 4th string now. After next signing day/draft he will be 5th string.

TUSK
08-20-2018, 11:29 PM
MDL argued against this.

confucius say
08-21-2018, 06:57 AM
Neither would play significant minutes for us anyway, barring injuries

But I agree with your larger point. It's ridiculous

Jack Lambert
08-21-2018, 08:08 AM
I think it hurts schools like Alabama more then the others. Reason being a lot of guys go there thinking they will be starters but end up riding the pine and if they had gone to another they would be starting. So they are going to hook up and leave.

Token Bammer
08-21-2018, 08:10 AM
MDL argued against this.

He did, for two solid years, and will likely benefit him more than most long term. The NCAA has allowed a huge problem with these new transfer rules. It's a shame.

Token Bammer
08-21-2018, 08:17 AM
I think it hurts schools like Alabama more then the others. Reason being a lot of guys go there thinking they will be starters but end up riding the pine and if they had gone to another they would be starting. So they are going to hook up and leave.

I disagree. Players don't come to Alabama expecting to start. The only thing players are promised at Alabama is an opportunity to work hard and compete, and if they earn it they will play. Players who want to be promised a starting position go to schools like UGA, because Kirby has been making such promises since he arrived in Athens. It's going to backfire eventually.

When Alabama is thin at a position (like LB this year) and a player has a chance to come in and play, win a ring, and possibly improve his draft status by doing so, Alabama is going to be tough to turn down.

The thing that concerns me the most about transfers isn't that a player or two will transfer because that's going to happen everywhere. I believe poaching players is going to skyrocket. I think staffs are going to have to recruit their own players who are already on roster and shouldn't have to be worried about. I believe their will be many, many problems down the road.

Johnson85
08-21-2018, 08:52 AM
Neither would play significant minutes for us anyway, barring injuries

But I agree with your larger point. It's ridiculous

Doesn't bother me that much. Players get four years of eligibility, but for many of them, there are realistically only going to really play for two. If a person RSs, and then spends two years fighting for playing time and doesn't get it, I have no problem with them getting to play somewhere immediately without having to drop down a division.

Stinks for the players that have a more realistic view of their talent and go somewhere that they can get playing time, only to have a big school transfer come in and take their spot. Maybe it should that players can transfer from power 5 to Group of 5 and vice versa, but not within Group of 5 or Power 5.

ShotgunDawg
08-21-2018, 09:04 AM
He did, for two solid years, and will likely benefit him more than most long term. The NCAA has allowed a huge problem with these new transfer rules. It's a shame.

I don't agree. I think it will hurt Bama.

Starters don't typically leave their current program. It's the disenfranchised players that don't play that leave

ShotgunDawg
08-21-2018, 09:05 AM
The thing that concerns me the most about transfers isn't that a player or two will transfer because that's going to happen everywhere. I believe poaching players is going to skyrocket. I think staffs are going to have to recruit their own players who are already on roster and shouldn't have to be worried about. I believe their will be many, many problems down the road.

I 100% agree with this. I don't like it either.

Jack Lambert
08-21-2018, 09:30 AM
I disagree. Players don't come to Alabama expecting to start. The only thing players are promised at Alabama is an opportunity to work hard and compete, and if they earn it they will play. Players who want to be promised a starting position go to schools like UGA, because Kirby has been making such promises since he arrived in Athens. It's going to backfire eventually.

When Alabama is thin at a position (like LB this year) and a player has a chance to come in and play, win a ring, and possibly improve his draft status by doing so, Alabama is going to be tough to turn down.

I don't think a kid commits to a school not thinking they are going to start. They commit to Bama they believe they are good enough to be a starter. If they thought they would ride the pine at Bama they would go to Tenn. :)

TUSK
08-21-2018, 10:09 AM
My take: I (selfishly) like it because it allows a kid that isn't good enough to contribute at Bammer to be replaced with one that is... It's like getting a "do over" on what turned out to be a "wasted scholarship"... And it really doesn't matter to me where they go...

At least that's how I look at it...

Regarding most of the guys that sign at Bammer; I think the frame of mind for most part is:

Freshman Year: Special Teams/Mop up duty
Sophomore Year: Contribute on the 22 Deep
Junior Year: Starter
Senior Year: What the hell is a "Senior"?

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-21-2018, 10:30 AM
I don't agree. I think it will hurt Bama.

Starters don't typically leave their current program. It's the disenfranchised players that don't play that leave

But there will be lots of great players on bad teams that want to win a ring. USF gets a great place kicker? Guess what, Bama needs one of those and can offer him a ring ring he joins them. LSU has everything but the QB? Well, that QB they ignored out of HS is a stud at UTEP and would love to play for his home team.

You're right that a mediocre, run of the mill starter for a 6-6 team isn't going to transfer to Bama. Why? because they wouldn't be a starter. But I worry that the studs will leave and fill those few recruiting holes in the blue bloods roster. Bama doesn't care much if Lashley transfers, they'd let 5 3rd stringers leave if it meant they got 1 starter at a position of need.

Jack Lambert
08-21-2018, 10:39 AM
My take: I (selfishly) like it because it allows a kid that isn't good enough to contribute at Bammer to be replaced with one that is... It's like getting a "do over" on what turned out to be a "wasted scholarship"... And it really doesn't matter to me where they go...

At least that's how I look at it...

Regarding most of the guys that sign at Bammer; I think the frame of mind for most part is:

Freshman Year: Special Teams/Mop up duty
Sophomore Year: Contribute on the 22 Deep
Junior Year: Starter
Senior Year: What the hell is a "Senior"?

With the limitation on how many you can sign each year and now players leaving you could end up small JR and SR classes which will effect the teams two deep. I really don't think you are going to have a mass exit.

bulldawg28
08-21-2018, 10:52 AM
But there will be lots of great players on bad teams that want to win a ring. USF gets a great place kicker? Guess what, Bama needs one of those and can offer him a ring ring he joins them. LSU has everything but the QB? Well, that QB they ignored out of HS is a stud at UTEP and would love to play for his home team.

This could be a killer. But it could work in our favor as well

ShotgunDawg
08-21-2018, 10:55 AM

You're right that a mediocre, run of the mill starter for a 6-6 team isn't going to transfer to Bama. Why? because they wouldn't be a starter. But I worry that the studs will leave and fill those few recruiting holes in the blue bloods roster. Bama doesn't care much if Lashley transfers, they'd let 5 3rd stringers leave if it meant they got 1 starter at a position of need.

Good points.

I'm not exactly sure how it would pan out.

ShotgunDawg
08-21-2018, 10:56 AM
With the limitation on how many you can sign each year and now players leaving you could end up small JR and SR classes which will effect the teams two deep. I really don't think you are going to have a mass exit.

Yeah, you can't just back fill the 85 man roster anymore since you can only sign 25 per year now

Johnson85
08-21-2018, 11:34 AM

It's not going to be a mass transfer. Lots of students I'm sure will view transferring as disruptive and not want to do it. But there are already a lot who do, and you're going to see a lot of significant transfers, as people transferring are going to generally want to go to the best team that can more or less guarantee them a starting position.

I think this will make sure the Bama's, UGA's, and OSU's always avoid having a significant weakness in their starting lineup, but they basically already manage this. I think it's going to do more for the teams in the tier right below them, that have one weak link preventing them from competing. How different would we feel about this upcoming year if we had a star widereceiver looking to transfer in? What if Auburn could grab just one blue chip OL to help them replace their losses.

Token Bammer
08-21-2018, 01:55 PM
There is also another angle to consider. In the 10 years Saban has coached at BAMA he's had many players transfer out. 95% of those players who transfered from Alabama to another school failed to amount to anything elsewhere. So there is something to the mentality of the player that isn't willing to remain and fight for the position that has proven itself true at other schools. I can only name a couple of players that this wasn't true.

TUSK
08-21-2018, 02:13 PM
There is also another angle to consider. In the 10 years Saban has coached at BAMA he's had many players transfer out. 95% of those players who transfered from Alabama to another school failed to amount to anything elsewhere. So there is something to the mentality of the player that isn't willing to remain and fight for the position that has proven itself true at other schools. I can only name a couple of players that this wasn't true.

I dunno if you saw it but I mentioned something similar to this in a thread a while back... It's a good "Did you know?"

9 of 10 QB signees have transferred out since MDL has been in TTown... (Excluding guys on the current roster and guys that transferred TO Bammer)...

Token Bammer
08-21-2018, 02:22 PM
I dunno if you saw it but I mentioned something similar to this in a thread a while back... It's a good "Did you know?"

9 of 10 QB signees have transferred out since MDL has been in TTown... (Excluding guys on the current roster and guys that transferred TO Bammer)...

That's good info, and no I missed your previous post.

Johnson85
08-21-2018, 05:00 PM

I wonder how much of that is the players just not being that good (b/c ones that are good enough to have a shot at playing time don't leave) versus them having mental issues versus it being because they've gone two or three years without seeing live action depending on when they leave and their redshirt situation.