PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs #18 in AP preseason poll

Dawgology
08-20-2018, 11:52 AM
But what I don't understand...

is how the voters left the best football team in Mississippi completely out of the poll...**

I guess Sallee didn't get a vote this year.

fishwater99
08-20-2018, 12:36 PM
Sallie thinks Bama will lose to Da Bears...

Jack Lambert
08-20-2018, 01:07 PM
Sallie thinks Bama will lose to Da Bears...

The bears are catching them at a good time.

TrapGame
08-20-2018, 01:14 PM

They always do.

TUSK
08-20-2018, 01:16 PM

I think the game being early in the year certainly bodes well for OM given the Bammer 2ndary situation...

That being said, OM may have to score 50 or 60 points to win the game... Bammer may not have to punt this year...

LC Dawg
08-20-2018, 01:39 PM
This poll shows our reputation nationally. We have have multiple articles written about us contending for the SEC title and being a dark horse for the CFP but the voters have essentially said we are the same team as last year.
It's kind of comical because last year we lost 4 games: to #1, #2, #10 and a team with a bounty on our quarterbacks. This preseason poll has us 18, which would probably be a 4 loss team, but only 2 teams on our schedule are ranked ahead of us. If we had a good football history we would be ranked around 12, maybe 14. It's not that big of a deal but it is interesting to watch. I'm not complaining because most preseason and final polls have not included Mississippi State so this is progress. A great season this year will go further to enhance the views of us nationally.

bostondawg
08-20-2018, 01:42 PM
Highest preseason AP ranking since 1981 (#14 preseason).

fishwater99
08-20-2018, 01:42 PM
I think the game being early in the year certainly bodes well for OM given the Bammer 2ndary situation...

That being said, OM may have to score 50 or 60 points to win the game... Bammer may not have to punt this year...

The Bears have no defense.

TrapGame
08-20-2018, 01:43 PM
The Bears have no defense.

Jeffrey Dahmer had a better defense than the Bears will have this year.

Pit Bull
08-20-2018, 02:05 PM

I've seen anywhere from #16 to #24. Which is ok. I don't place a lot of emphasis in preseason stuff anyway. I think BAMA wins the NC with out breaking a sweat. Their schedule is as good as it could get and now they have proven depth at the QB position. I think we go 10-2 at best and 8-4 at the worst....so we should be able to make some bowl plans! Tide should beat Louisville in their opener by 3-4 TDs.

BigEasyDawg
08-20-2018, 02:23 PM
I've seen anywhere from #16 to #24. Which is ok. I don't place a lot of emphasis in preseason stuff anyway. I think BAMA wins the NC with out breaking a sweat. Their schedule is as good as it could get and now they have proven depth at the QB position. I think we go 10-2 at best and 8-4 at the worst....so we should be able to make some bowl plans! Tide should beat Louisville in their opener by 3-4 TDs.

We are 12-0 at best. We are 10-2 if nothing goes wrong. 8-4 if we suck it up.

TrapGame
08-20-2018, 02:43 PM
Would Dan staying have us ranked higher? Maybe #16?

LC Dawg
08-20-2018, 02:51 PM

I think so. Having a new coach leads to uncertainty, especially with the media who don't want to do any research.

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-20-2018, 02:57 PM

Yes, since the average voter thinks highly of Mullen and thus assumes the new guy won't have us playing as well. However, having Mullen would also stem some of our higher predictions since some people are really high on Moorhead

IMissJack
08-20-2018, 03:07 PM
Steve showed a tweet from some AP voter that had USCeast at 11 and us unranked. I assume he was from SC.

TrapGame
08-20-2018, 03:14 PM
Steve showed a tweet from some AP voter that had USCeast at 11 and us unranked. I assume he was from SC.

Man, that meth is strong in South Carolina.*

DownwardDawg
08-20-2018, 04:06 PM

It all depends on how much your coach decides to throw the ball. RTDF, and you win in a total beat down. Throw the ball, and it could be interesting for a while. This has been the case for the past few years when inept coaching by Bama allowed the inferior team to compete.

Jack Lambert
08-20-2018, 04:19 PM

We would have been ranked higher preseason with Mullen but I think we will be ranked higher at the end with Moorehead. Mullen would screw it up at the end somehow. He would be looking for that next job.

WyldStallyns
08-20-2018, 04:33 PM

I want to say some had us in the top 15?

TrapGame
08-20-2018, 05:26 PM
I want to say some had us in the top 15?

I think that was SI. They had us #15 and spent most of the write up talking about our Navy SEAL style S&C. A lot of good that did.

dawgday166
08-21-2018, 05:16 AM
We would have been ranked higher preseason with Mullen but I think we will be ranked higher at the end with Moorehead. Mullen would screw it up at the end somehow. He would be looking for that next job.

Looking for next job and going to his patented designed QB draw when having slight lead in games against upper tier teams would be the downfall if Mullen were still coaching this team.

Not sure how this team will end up, but I've rewatched the Bama game from last year a couple of times lately. Between the bad no calls for Bama to help them win game and Mullen running his QB draw when leading late, I got pissed all over again.

We may lose a game with JoMo, but it probably won't be due to running a QB draw on 3rd and 8 with a slight lead against a team like Bama. I'm just glad I ain't got to watch that stupid shit anymore, knowing the play is coming before ball is even snapped.

Token Bammer
08-21-2018, 08:31 AM
OM is going to be trash and I'm excited about it. They can spend all the off-season time and attention in the world trying to polish that turd, but once the season starts it's still going to be a turd. If only awbren would derail...

TUSK is right though. Their receivers, along with Louisville's, are going to be tough early season tests for the Tide secondary.

I'm personally looking forward to State's week 2 contest with KSU.

gravedigger
08-21-2018, 08:36 AM
I don't place a lot of emphasis in preseason stuff anyway. I think BAMA wins the NC with out breaking a sweat.

I dont care much about the preseason polls either but I do think this isnt going to be your typical Bama runs away with it year. They have some issues to grind out. Tua is talented but I dont know if he has the head to lead them to the championship. They could very well win it all though.

TrapGame
08-21-2018, 08:52 AM
Looking for next job and going to his patented designed QB draw when having slight lead in games against upper tier teams would be the downfall if Mullen were still coaching this team.

Not sure how this team will end up, but I've rewatched the Bama game from last year a couple of times lately. Between the bad no calls for Bama to help them win game and Mullen running his QB draw when leading late, I got pissed all over again.

We may lose a game with JoMo, but it probably won't be due to running a QB draw on 3rd and 8 with a slight lead against a team like Bama. I'm just glad I ain't got to watch that stupid shit anymore, knowing the play is coming before ball is even snapped.

Just FYI: Go watch the Penn St/Michigan game from last year. JoMo and James Franklin did not shrink they attacked Michigan's defense all four quarters. And Michigan's defense was ranked like #3 at the time.

msu15
08-21-2018, 09:11 AM

Agreed. I know it's week 2, but that game will definitely be a barometer(at least for me) for what we truly have this year.

TrapGame
08-21-2018, 09:29 AM
OM is going to be trash and I'm excited about it. I'm personally looking forward to State's week 2 contest with KSU.

Me too. That offense will be stressed to keep up with the defense's crappiness.

And I'm really interested in the K State game. That's going to be a good one. If we walk into K State and lay a beat down I'm going to get very excited about the rest of the season.

TUSK
08-21-2018, 12:34 PM
It all depends on how much your coach decides to throw the ball. RTDF, and you win in a total beat down. Throw the ball, and it could be interesting for a while. This has been the case for the past few years when inept coaching by Bama allowed the inferior team to compete.

Agreed... Although last year we did it right, IMO...

Check out the rushing box score (Note - I played hungover):

Alabama Rushing
CAR YDS TD LONG
J. Hurts 10 101 1 29
D. Harris 7 67 0 46
J. Jacobs 2 51 0 45
N. Harris 7 43 1 12
T. Tagovai 4 37 1 16
B. Robins 7 34 0 11
R. Clark.. 5 22 1 9
B. Scarb 6 18 1 6
Tusk..... 3 -8 0 0
TEAM..... 51 365 5 46

msu15
08-21-2018, 12:46 PM
Agreed... Although last year we did it right, IMO...

Check out the rushing box score (Note - I played hungover):

Alabama Rushing
CAR YDS TD LONG
J. Hurts 10 101 1 29
D. Harris 7 67 0 46
J. Jacobs 2 51 0 45
N. Harris 7 43 1 12
T. Tagovai 4 37 1 16
B. Robins 7 34 0 11
R. Clark.. 5 22 1 9
B. Scarb 6 18 1 6
Tusk..... 3 -8 0 0
TEAM..... 51 365 5 46

Learn you're blocking assignments better and you'll get more carries.

Token Bammer
08-21-2018, 01:46 PM
=If we walk into K State and lay a beat down I'm going to get very excited about the rest of the season.

I'm thinking the same way and I'll be excited for you all. I'd love to see State have a great year. Shoot, I just love to see good football, especially southern football. There's only a few programs I love to hate, and OM and AU are at the top of the list.

TUSK
08-21-2018, 02:08 PM
I'm thinking the same way and I'll be excited for you all. I'd love to see State have a great year. Shoot, I just love to see good football, especially southern football. There's only a few programs I love to hate, and OM and AU are at the top of the list.

No Great Pumpkin?!?

You're suspect!*

Token Bammer
08-21-2018, 02:20 PM
No Great Pumpkin?!?

You're suspect!*

Haha. You know the pumpkin is on the list. That goes without saying.

Jack Lambert
08-21-2018, 02:31 PM
OM is going to be trash and I'm excited about it. They can spend all the off-season time and attention in the world trying to polish that turd, but once the season starts it's still going to be a turd. If only awbren would derail...

TUSK is right though. Their receivers, along with Louisville's, are going to be tough early season tests for the Tide secondary.

I think Bama will be ok with Ole Miss passing. Bama will blitz and rush the shit out of Five-0. Plus I think Bama defense will shut ole miss offense down way more times then Ole Miss defense will shuts Bama's offense down. They will hit a few deep passes but if those passes don't get them into the end zone Ole Miss will settle for Field Goal. They do not have a red zone offense.