PDA

View Full Version : Combining my love of weather and MSU football

starkvegasdawg
08-19-2018, 12:53 AM
I've started looking at the models for our first game. Now, let me stress as hard as I can that 300 hours out the GFS can be about as accurate as an ole miss inside source, but for our opening game it is showing the temp at kick about 73 degrees under a clear sky and low humidity with temps falling into the 60's before the beatdown concludes. After all our opening day steam baths is it possible we get an opening day night game that feels more like a late October game? GFS says yes and I'm optimistic. Been seeing a lot of fall color starting to appear here in Starkvegas already and that has me hoping for an early fall. Really been surprised at the color I've seen. There's maples around Walmart already fully changed.

Mimi's Babies
08-19-2018, 06:34 AM
Spread the rep...

I PRAY you are correct.

Dawgbite
08-19-2018, 06:39 AM
I think that the color you are seeing is more from the drought than fall beginning but I hope you are correct. It hasn’t rained a single drop at my house in over 5 weeks, grass is already dead and oaks are beginning to shed leaves.

starkvegasdawg
08-19-2018, 06:49 AM
I think that the color you are seeing is more from the drought than fall beginning but I hope you are correct. It hasn’t rained a single drop at my house in over 5 weeks, grass is already dead and oaks are beginning to shed leaves.

I thought about that but the drought monitor does not have us in drought. Had a few areas abnormally dry. Still possible, though, that's playing at least some part in it, but I think a good chunk of it is trees changing early.

Dawgbite
08-19-2018, 07:33 AM
Seems like all the rain is along the 82 corridor and south or I22 and north. I’m stuck right in the middle and it is seriously dry, glad I don’t have a crop in the ground.

BorneDawg
08-19-2018, 08:53 AM
Belmont has had rain and some nice cooler shady days! Appreciate the shade ��

WesternSkyDawg
08-19-2018, 10:05 AM
I've started looking at the models for our first game. Now, let me stress as hard as I can that 300 hours out the GFS can be about as accurate as an ole miss inside source, but for our opening game it is showing the temp at kick about 73 degrees under a clear sky and low humidity with temps falling into the 60's before the beatdown concludes. After all our opening day steam baths is it possible we get an opening day night game that feels more like a late October game? GFS says yes and I'm optimistic. Been seeing a lot of fall color starting to appear here in Starkvegas already and that has me hoping for an early fall. Really been surprised at the color I've seen. There's maples around Walmart already fully changed.

Bring this home, and you are officially The Man!

RocketDawg
08-19-2018, 09:24 PM
I thought about that but the drought monitor does not have us in drought. Had a few areas abnormally dry. Still possible, though, that's playing at least some part in it, but I think a good chunk of it is trees changing early.

I haven't seen any maples changing color around here, but there are plenty of tulip poplar leaves down. I can mow and pick up leaves, and a couple hours later the ground is covered again. But that always happens with poplars ... they're always dropping something ... one of the messier trees to have.

tireddawg
08-19-2018, 10:29 PM
I spent 3 hours cleaning leaves from my pool. They're def falling early.

RocketDawg
08-20-2018, 06:08 PM
There's a front coming through now, and it will be a lot cooler by tomorrow night and Wednesday. No reason your outlook for September won't be accurate. It'll sure beat an 11 a.m. game at 100 degrees. By that time, not much of the game will be in daylight. Days are getting shorter rapidly now ... we're getting on the steep part of the curve.

DAWGS1
08-20-2018, 06:36 PM
I think your way off and I’d be willing to bet
you a steak dinner on it.
I’m seeing 92/93 for the high with low of only 71*
That’s way more typical than being at 73 at 6:00 PM, low humidity and
and going into the 60’s.
Just dont see it happening.

RocketDawg
08-25-2018, 05:32 PM

Vegas, your model outlook is now a week old. Is it still showing cooler weather for Saturday? We just had a nice cooling front to come through, so hopefully it'll be time for another one by Saturday.

Bully13
08-25-2018, 05:37 PM
I've been enduring one of the worst summers here in Ft Worth in recent memory. I can't believe y'all are having it so good there in MS. I can't remember a day under 95 here, no 17ing rain hardly and it seems fall will never arrive. It's been miserable as hell and feels like it's been summer for 12 months.

RocketDawg
08-25-2018, 06:31 PM
I've been enduring one of the worst summers here in Ft Worth in recent memory. I can't believe y'all are having it so good there in MS. I can't remember a day under 95 here, no 17ing rain hardly and it seems fall will never arrive. It's been miserable as hell and feels like it's been summer for 12 months.

I'm in north Alabama, so can't really speak for Mississippi, but the summer here hasn't been all that bad. It was late spring that was hot ... May was almost 7 degrees above normal, and June about 4 above. July and August have been relatively pleasant. We've had plenty of rain this year. A couple of mornings ago upper 50s were the norm around the area.

Liverpooldawg
08-25-2018, 06:36 PM
My yard is dead in spots, it's dry. We just got back from a European trip. I've never seen anything like it over there. The grass is DEAD, solid brown. The trees are starting to die. They are in a serious drought. There was talk of a water shortage in the Netherlands, the dang Netherlands.

TaleofTwoDogs
08-25-2018, 11:36 PM
My yard is dead in spots, it's dry. We just got back from a European trip. I've never seen anything like it over there. The grass is DEAD, solid brown. The trees are starting to die. They are in a serious drought. There was talk of a water shortage in the Netherlands, the dang Netherlands.

Not good. If nothing else, Europe is always green in most areas.

Harrydawg
08-26-2018, 10:07 AM

Can we get an update on this? Thanks for sharing

starkvegasdawg
08-26-2018, 10:09 AM

Not nearly as good but could be worse. Forecast high now 92. Temp by kick should be around 86 or so with a 20% chance of rain.

DownwardDawg
08-26-2018, 01:13 PM

Hot and miserable. Like opening day every single year unfortunately.

starkvegasdawg
08-26-2018, 01:25 PM
Most of the models showing 81-84 at 7:00pm an hour after kick.