PDA

View Full Version : Post Summer Ball Baseball Thoughts

Todd4State
08-19-2018, 12:43 AM
I usually do this around the 4th of July but then weird things started to happen with the baseball team- Carter Stewart, Cole Gordon, LA and etc. Here is how I think we look going into the fall and then we'll revisit based on who does well.

Ace- Small
Sat- Keegan James. He had a strong summer in the Cape.
Sun- JT Ginn. I think this is a good spot for him because he is likely a two way guy for us and this will allow him to rest on Monday.
Midweek- Tyler Spring. I really like him. He's a JUCO guy but he started out at Alabama and then had Tommy John.
Darkhorse- Eric Cerentola. He was a top 200 MLB draft prospect who was drafted and played for Team Canada. I think he's a weekend guy one day and is quietly a really good pickup for us.

Bullpen- I think next year will be unique in that we will have three guys that can go multiple innings for us. I'm not sure that we will be traditional because of that but we'll see how it plays out.

Closer- Self. Only because in my mind he is the most consistent guy.
Gordon. It's huge to pick him back up and yes, he could definitely emerge as the closer as he builds off of his postseason performance. Because I think he will emerge I have him as closer two and probably will move to closer one by the end of the year.
Plumlee. I know Genespage thinks that he is a starter- but I like him better out of the bullpen. He had a good summer but in a league where he was one of the older players- and at least he dominated like he should have. So there is something to be said for that. Hopefully he improves on keeping the ball in the yard.

Spencer Price is a wild card for me. We'll see how he looks coming off of Tommy John. I'm expecting him to be similar to Blake Smith next year. May look good at times but may also get worn down by the end of the year.

I think Scott Foxhall will improve our staff a lot too. We could see some surprise performances next year because of that.

Catcher- Hayden Jones is a freshman that I think will win the job over Skelton, Gilbert, Hancock, and Tucker Childers. What will be interesting to see is how much Kyle Cheesbrough can improve the veteran catchers because last year it looked like they were playing on roller skates behind the plate. If Jones struggles or needs to rest it's good that we have a couple of veteran guys that have played a lot in the SEC behind him.

First Base- Josh Hatcher. He needs to learn to hit LHP though or it could be Ginn or someone else here.

Second Base- Tanner Allen. He spent the summer playing second base so that's probably a good indication of where the staff wants him to end up.

Third Base- Justin Foscue. He had a monster summer hitting the ball. I think the light may be starting to come on for him.

Shortstop- Jordan Westburg. Also had a monster summer hitting the ball and I think his light started to come on in Omaha. I'm not expecting LA back- or if he does I expect him to miss a significant amount of the season.

Wildcard- Gunner Halter. He put up big numbers in JUCO but didn't have a great summer hitting the ball. He could also close for us as a pitcher. If one of the infielders falters like Hatcher or someone else- Halter will probably figure in somewhere.

Left Field- Rowdey Jordan. He struggled this summer but I think he will be fine. He should be better after spending a year in the outfield and he has some surprising pop given his frame and size.

Center Field- Jake Mangum. Getting him back for his senior year is huge. He may win the SEC batting title. He will also be the team leader and is IMO the best CF we have ever had at MSU.

Right Field- Elijah MacNamee. He got hot late but I hope he gets hot a lot sooner. Definitely could be a 10 home run guy for us and should be a good senior leader.

DH- Ginn. Although as usual this is pretty up in the air depending on who performs. As I said I could see Ginn at first if Hatcher struggles. Foscue's summer makes me think he stays at third. If Westburg struggles defensively we may move him here, Halter to SS, and then Ginn probably to first.

Pinch hitter- I think Tucker Childers will emerge in this role unless we redshirt him.

Pinch runner- Basiel Williams. He's a raw freshman but he can run.

MarketingBully
08-19-2018, 12:52 AM
That’s one hell of a team. Talent and experience wise, that’s a national seed team. Great write up Todd per usual.

Randolph Dupree
08-19-2018, 07:09 AM
I think we may see Jake pitch some this year. My guess is it will be out of the pin.

ShotgunDawg
08-19-2018, 08:15 AM
Todd, I'm not liking that middle infield.

Westburg is not an SEC SS defensively and when combined with Allen at 2B the collective range of our middle infield is sub standard for the SEC.

Additionally, if you then combine Westburg, Allen, and Jones behind the plate, you are extremely limited defensively in the middle of the field where great teams are typically very strong.

We are gonna have to find a SS. Halter can probably play SS at a higher level than Westburg defensively, but I think Halter is more of a 2B or 3B in this conference.

I'm not totally sure of Foscue's skill set, but can he play 2B or SS and this allow Halter or Westburg to play 3B?

ShotgunDawg
08-19-2018, 08:15 AM
That’s one hell of a team. Talent and experience wise, that’s a national seed team. Great write up Todd per usual.

It's a decent lineup. Defensively, it's a disaster.

I seen it dawg
08-19-2018, 08:39 AM
We played with a SS all last yr with limited range so what's the problem...i bet Westburg is better than some people give him credit for...

No one will match Stovall's range so it would be unfair to compare anyone else to him. And we absolutely sucked donkey balls behind the plate so we won't get any worse.

If Tanner and Westburg make the routine plays and we get an actual catcher then we will be fine.

ShotgunDawg
08-19-2018, 08:50 AM
We played with a SS all last yr with limited range so what's the problem...i bet Westburg is better than some people give him credit for...

No one will match Stovall's range so it would be unfair to compare anyone else to him. And we absolutely sucked donkey balls behind the plate so we won't get any worse.

If Tanner and Westburg make the routine plays and we get an actual catcher then we will be fine.

While you make solid points, Luke had good hands and feet along with a strong arm that limited the damage of his below average range. Westburg does not have those skills.

Alexander and Stovall are a significantly better defensive unit than Westburg and Allen.

shoeless joe
08-19-2018, 08:56 AM
I know nothing of the new catchers comin in besides Hancock and he is an elite defender. Elite. And he has a big league arm right now. Compared to what we had last yr he would be the starter this yr. maybe there's a newcomer better tho.

Todd4State
08-19-2018, 12:49 PM
Todd, I'm not liking that middle infield.

Westburg is not an SEC SS defensively and when combined with Allen at 2B the collective range of our middle infield is sub standard for the SEC.

Additionally, if you then combine Westburg, Allen, and Jones behind the plate, you are extremely limited defensively in the middle of the field where great teams are typically very strong.

We are gonna have to find a SS. Halter can probably play SS at a higher level than Westburg defensively, but I think Halter is more of a 2B or 3B in this conference.

I'm not totally sure of Foscue's skill set, but can he play 2B or SS and this allow Halter or Westburg to play 3B?

I agree that the defense is something that we are going to have to work on big time in the infield. Stovall and LA may have been the best defensive MIF in the SEC last year. I'm not sure what the solution is. Halter may be our best option at SS and he made a ton of errors in JUCO.

Todd4State
08-19-2018, 12:51 PM
I know nothing of the new catchers comin in besides Hancock and he is an elite defender. Elite. And he has a big league arm right now. Compared to what we had last yr he would be the starter this yr. maybe there's a newcomer better tho.

If he is elite as a catcher he may start. But I'm not sure that he is ready offensively.

I seen it dawg
08-19-2018, 03:05 PM
While you make solid points, Luke had good hands and feet along with a strong arm that limited the damage of his below average range. Westburg does not have those skills.

Alexander and Stovall are a significantly better defensive unit than Westburg and Allen.

I want to see Westburg with the lights on before I say he won't be better than foambat. And i agree with you on 18 mif defense will be better than 19. But significantly I'm gonna go back to my first sentence. Stovall was so good it is gonna skew it.

I seen it dawg
08-19-2018, 03:06 PM
If he is elite as a catcher he may start. But I'm not sure that he is ready offensively.

If he can hit .210 then he can play for us as long as he can handle the defense...remember foambat?

shoeless joe
08-19-2018, 07:16 PM

His approach is outstanding. However the two negatives on him are 1) I personally have never been able to watch him when facing a d1 type talent so I can't speak to hisboffense in that regard (although he does what he's supposed to against high school pitchers 2) IMO he's small for a d1 catcher. I'm sure he'll add some pounds once he get in our weight program so this may be a non issue

Ezsoil
08-19-2018, 09:11 PM
I usually do this around the 4th of July but then weird things started to happen with the baseball team- Carter Stewart, Cole Gordon, LA and etc. Here is how I think we look going into the fall and then we'll revisit based on who does well.

Ace- Small
Sat- Keegan James. He had a strong summer in the Cape.
Sun- JT Ginn. I think this is a good spot for him because he is likely a two way guy for us and this will allow him to rest on Monday.
Midweek- Tyler Spring. I really like him. He's a JUCO guy but he started out at Alabama and then had Tommy John.
Darkhorse- Eric Cerentola. He was a top 200 MLB draft prospect who was drafted and played for Team Canada. I think he's a weekend guy one day and is quietly a really good pickup for us.

Bullpen- I think next year will be unique in that we will have three guys that can go multiple innings for us. I'm not sure that we will be traditional because of that but we'll see how it plays out.

Closer- Self. Only because in my mind he is the most consistent guy.
Gordon. It's huge to pick him back up and yes, he could definitely emerge as the closer as he builds off of his postseason performance. Because I think he will emerge I have him as closer two and probably will move to closer one by the end of the year.
Plumlee. I know Genespage thinks that he is a starter- but I like him better out of the bullpen. He had a good summer but in a league where he was one of the older players- and at least he dominated like he should have. So there is something to be said for that. Hopefully he improves on keeping the ball in the yard.

Spencer Price is a wild card for me. We'll see how he looks coming off of Tommy John. I'm expecting him to be similar to Blake Smith next year. May look good at times but may also get worn down by the end of the year.

I think Scott Foxhall will improve our staff a lot too. We could see some surprise performances next year because of that.

Catcher- Hayden Jones is a freshman that I think will win the job over Skelton, Gilbert, Hancock, and Tucker Childers. What will be interesting to see is how much Kyle Cheesbrough can improve the veteran catchers because last year it looked like they were playing on roller skates behind the plate. If Jones struggles or needs to rest it's good that we have a couple of veteran guys that have played a lot in the SEC behind him.

First Base- Josh Hatcher. He needs to learn to hit LHP though or it could be Ginn or someone else here.

Second Base- Tanner Allen. He spent the summer playing second base so that's probably a good indication of where the staff wants him to end up.

Third Base- Justin Foscue. He had a monster summer hitting the ball. I think the light may be starting to come on for him.

Shortstop- Jordan Westburg. Also had a monster summer hitting the ball and I think his light started to come on in Omaha. I'm not expecting LA back- or if he does I expect him to miss a significant amount of the season.

Wildcard- Gunner Halter. He put up big numbers in JUCO but didn't have a great summer hitting the ball. He could also close for us as a pitcher. If one of the infielders falters like Hatcher or someone else- Halter will probably figure in somewhere.

Left Field- Rowdey Jordan. He struggled this summer but I think he will be fine. He should be better after spending a year in the outfield and he has some surprising pop given his frame and size.

Center Field- Jake Mangum. Getting him back for his senior year is huge. He may win the SEC batting title. He will also be the team leader and is IMO the best CF we have ever had at MSU.

Right Field- Elijah MacNamee. He got hot late but I hope he gets hot a lot sooner. Definitely could be a 10 home run guy for us and should be a good senior leader.

DH- Ginn. Although as usual this is pretty up in the air depending on who performs. As I said I could see Ginn at first if Hatcher struggles. Foscue's summer makes me think he stays at third. If Westburg struggles defensively we may move him here, Halter to SS, and then Ginn probably to first.

Pinch hitter- I think Tucker Childers will emerge in this role unless we redshirt him.

Pinch runner- Basiel Williams. He's a raw freshman but he can run.

Plumlee is the one who was the beast in the Cape ...I look for him to be the Saturday guy unless he has been processed out

MzTerry
08-19-2018, 09:52 PM
Plumlee is the one who was the beast in the Cape ...I look for him to be the Saturday guy unless he has been processed out

Plumlee was not a beast in the cape as he was not in the cape. He played in the Perfect Game League which is significantly less competitive than the Cape.

The Federalist Engineer
08-20-2018, 01:40 AM
The Jordans at SS and 2B

We also have Landon Jordan as a highly regarded freshman. 6-0 tall prospect.

Rowdy Jordan is also an IF. Cohen has mentioned him specifically as an IF player for MSU. He came with an arm injury that forced him into the OF in 2018, plus we had Stovall and LA of course

louisvilledawg
08-20-2018, 02:27 PM
The Jordans at SS and 2B

We also have Landon Jordan as a highly regarded freshman. 6-0 tall prospect.

Rowdy Jordan is also an IF. Cohen has mentioned him specifically as an IF player for MSU. He came with an arm injury that forced him into the OF in 2018, plus we had Stovall and LA of course

Explain the arm injury thing to me plz.

How do you have an arm injury that prevents you from playing infield, but enables you to play outfield?

sandjunky
09-03-2018, 01:45 PM
So we may have to scratch Hancock off list - suspended indefinitely per the twitters

Todd4State
09-03-2018, 03:07 PM
So we may have to scratch Hancock off list - suspended indefinitely per the twitters

Yes. Domestic violence. Not sure what his future with the team is now.

msbulldog
09-03-2018, 03:08 PM
Great posting guys, always love baseball talk! Hey, NC Time!

msbulldog
09-03-2018, 03:14 PM
Yes. Domestic violence. Not sure what his future with the team is now.

Misdemeanor, he didn't kill anybody.

Clarion ledger story.
A Mississippi State University baseball player is facing a domestic violence charge following his arrest Sunday.

Luke Hancock, 19, was arrested shortly after midnight by officers with the Starkville Police Department and booked into the Oktibbeha County Jail, according to jail records.

Hancock was charged with misdemeanor domestic violence. He bonded out around 5 a.m. Sunday. When asked about a bond amount, jail personnel referred questions to the police department.

A police department spokesman said a public records request would need to be filed with the Starkville City Clerk.

Hancock did take a mugshot but, per protocol, it will not be released to the media without the sheriff's permission, jail personnel said. The sheriff was not in the office Monday due to the Labor Day holiday.

Hancock is a freshman catcher on the MSU baseball team.

A spokesperson for the MSU athletic department was not immediately available for comment.