PDA

View Full Version : Ole Miss Question

ShotgunDawg
10-12-2013, 11:52 PM
Does Ole Miss play a hell of a lot faster on turf than they do on grass?

We have all watched OM play on TV this year, and it seems like their offense only works on turf, but I don't understand why or if I'm just imagining things. Just seems like on grass they look much slower.

Have they won a game on grass since Freeze has been the coach?

CadaverDawg
10-12-2013, 11:56 PM
Not sure, but their turf looks awful on TV. It looks like the grass in an Easter basket. That shiny, cheap looking stuff.

Oxfordawg
10-12-2013, 11:56 PM
Well it helps when the opposing D is standing around looking at the D coordinator when the ball is snapped

ShotgunDawg
10-12-2013, 11:58 PM
Just looked it up. OM is 0-5 in the Freeze era on grass. Their next chance to play on grass will be the Egg Bowl

Dawg61
10-12-2013, 11:58 PM
Not sure, but their turf looks awful on TV. It looks like the grass in an Easter basket. That shiny, cheap looking stuff.

They've had that shitty turf forever. Dumb 17s built the stadium wrong and it blocks out the sun too much and kills the grass. They are stuck with turf in MISSISSIPPI. Thats 17ing retarded. I could understand New Mexico but Mississippi?

State82
10-13-2013, 12:01 AM

Easter basket grass. Now that's funny right there. As aggravated as I have been tonight, this comment, along with the FG at the horn, made me lighten up a bit. Well, that and this Bacardi.

CadaverDawg
10-13-2013, 12:04 AM
Easter basket grass. Now that's funny right there. As aggravated as I have been tonight, this comment, along with the FG at the horn, made me lighten up a bit. Well, that and this Bacardi.

+1

Westdawg
10-13-2013, 12:09 AM
They've had that shitty turf forever. Dumb 17s built the stadium wrong and it blocks out the sun too much and kills the grass. They are stuck with turf in MISSISSIPPI. Thats 17ing retarded. I could understand New Mexico but Mississippi?

Ha! Even funnier to me because I coach in NM, and most high schools out here have artificial turf. Heck, we even have an indoor practice facility. And yes, their field looks worse than the high school turf out here.

Coach 57
10-13-2013, 12:19 AM
Some coaches think it's an old wives tale and say players are at least 2 tenths faster on turf. I don't know, only played/coached on the stuff twice.

Westdawg
10-13-2013, 12:39 AM
I don't think they are faster, but I think it is a bit advantageous for quicker cuts and lateral movements. Don't ha e to worry about slipping in mud, things like that. I did coach against a high school in northwest TN that cut their grass tall, like about 4 inches high. It definitely slowed players down some.

Todd4State
10-13-2013, 01:38 AM

I was in the band in 1996 when we beat them in the monsoon- the entire field was mud. You could hear the sound of mud squishing every time we moved over the sounds of the band.

I think the lighting there is bad too. We played them at night in 1998 and their field just looked weird then too- almost surreal.

bully99
10-13-2013, 08:14 AM
Isn't that why Cohen put artificial turd along the baselines because players were faster on it. Swindoll or somebody said studies done were that fake was 3 tenths faster than natural grass.

Political Hack
10-13-2013, 08:22 AM

maybe those are rabbit teeth and not beaver teeth.