PDA

View Full Version : OT- Moving my daughter to college, or, "The Day Of The Three Refrigerators"

Mutt the Hoople
08-18-2018, 05:11 PM
Last Wednesday, my daughter and I go from Texas to MUW. She stopped in Jackson to spend the night with her brother, while I went on up to her apartment to unpack her stuff.

Anyway, I asked the Landlord if they had fixed the Air conditioning...and it wasn't. So, after spending the night at a hotel, I went back over the next day and the Super had some repairmen in there to fix the AC. That's when I noticed that the refrigerator wasn't working (freezer was fine, but something was wrong with the frig). So, the Landlord said that he'd move another refrigerator in there the next day.

Friday, we both manage to barely get the 1st refrigerator out the door, then move another refrigerator from the adjacent apartment into my daughter's. We turn it on.....and it doesn't work.

That afternoon, the Landlord and I move THAT refrigerator out of the apartment, and move a brand new on from his "Show" apartment into our...and that one worked.

Several things I learned:

1) It's hard...VERY hard, to get a refrigerator out your average door.
2) Refrigerators are VERY bulky and can tear up a fence if you tip it on one.
3) There's some nice 3 bed/1 bath apartments CHEAP over in Columbus if you need a place to stay, if you or someone you know is going to State or MUW or is wanting to live somewhere in the Golden Triangle. If you know someone, PM me and I can give you the Landlord's number.

SailingDawg
08-18-2018, 07:32 PM
Male MUW graduate here. After a few years at State the W offered low tuition, and I was living at home in Columbus and working. Good school, town's getting sketchy, though. Tell her to be careful.

BrunswickDawg
08-18-2018, 08:01 PM
I lived in Columbus my last 2 years at State back in the early 90s. My future wife was in school at the W and I was spending more time there than Starkville so it made sense. Was a ton cheaper then. I still love the W campus - beautiful historic atmosphere.

iPat09
08-18-2018, 09:31 PM
I loved my time at The W. Started out at State, graduated as part of the Long Blue Line. After living in 2 corners and working in the third, I'm not real sure which is the best part of the GT. I know which is one is the worst though...

TUSK
08-19-2018, 12:59 AM
I took some classes there pre-Bammer and post-USMC... late 80s and early 90s...

Columbus was a different place, then....

TUSK
08-19-2018, 01:00 AM
I loved my time at The W. Started out at State, graduated as part of the Long Blue Line. After living in 2 corners and working in the third, I'm not real sure which is the best part of the GT. I know which is one is the worst though...

Fact. I lived there, as well....

Bothrops
08-19-2018, 01:21 AM
Moving sucks. Moving sucks worse from an upstairs apartment.

DawgRockur
08-19-2018, 01:40 AM
I live in Columbus, very, very, sorry to hear that you moved your daughter here.

iPat09
08-19-2018, 11:56 AM
Moving sucks. Moving sucks worse from an upstairs apartment.

Yes. Yes it does.

But if you're on the top floor and didn't have to hear upstairs neighbors walking around all the time, it's worth it. Once had some living above me (in Columbus, no less) and I swear every square inch of their floor squeaked. Between that and a few other things, we only lived there a year before moving somewhere else and specifically requesting the top floor. Ended up being there 3 years, so it was worth the few days of discomfort moving in and out.