PDA

View Full Version : LSU's QB Situation Is Dire

TrapGame
08-18-2018, 04:25 PM
Myles Brennan - 5-19, 47 yards, 1 INT
Joe Burrow - 10-24, 120 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

That's from the scrimmage today.

In total, that?s a combined 15-for-43 passing, good for an abysmal 34.8-percent completion rate. After losing two quarterbacks ? Justin McMillan and Lowell Narcisse ? to transfer this week, that?s not what Coach O or LSU fans were hoping for. (Copied from SDS article)

Harrydawg
08-18-2018, 04:45 PM
But that D must be salty******

Bdawg
08-18-2018, 04:47 PM
With that schedule, O appears to be a dead man walking

msstate7
08-18-2018, 04:49 PM
But that D must be salty******

It really is. No joke

Bothrops
08-18-2018, 04:51 PM
Brennan should have gone to USM.

Dawg61
08-18-2018, 04:51 PM
Half the SEC has great defenses.

Bothrops
08-18-2018, 04:57 PM
If LSU's defense is as good as expected and they have average QB play, they will upset a team or two.

Tbonewannabe
08-18-2018, 05:07 PM
If LSU's defense is as good as expected and they have average QB play, they will upset a team or two.

I don't keep up with other teams but LSU lost Key, did they return a lot of guys? We also stomped a mud hole in their ass last year, did their Defense improve after our game?

TrapGame
08-18-2018, 05:22 PM
I fully expect Aranda to be interim HC by November. I'm sure Aranda has a good defense but O can't help himself. That offense is going to be bad. Close to McCorvey/Croom bad.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-18-2018, 06:38 PM
I expect LSU's defense to be pretty good.

That schedule screams 7-5 at best.

I think losing two quarterbacks helps the position because the reps can now be spread among two guys rather than four guys. The coaching, the reps, everything gets focused more closely onto the two remaining. Of course if you get an injury you are screwed. That's why you really don't want 4 guys competing for the job. We have an ideal situation because we have three, but Mayden isn't competing for the job. So we aren't wasting first team reps on Mayden, and he isn't getting equal quality reps with Fitz and KT. You have to have a pecking order at QB.

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-18-2018, 06:42 PM
LSU returns a lot in the secondary, will be more experienced at LB, and will be deeper on the DL. Last year poorly balanced recruiting classes caught up to them at OL and DL. This year one of those should be solved: Last years bad OL lost 1 to graduation, 2 to early entry, and one to suspension, It's why I'm not concerned about their O even if Burrow is ok; I don't think they can protect him or run the ball on us. But their D will be improved this year. i still think we can move the ball though if our OL comes ready to be nasty

Pit Bull
08-18-2018, 06:56 PM
I don't keep up with other teams but LSU lost Key, did they return a lot of guys? We also stomped a mud hole in their ass last year, did their Defense improve after our game?

Don't think LSU was ready for us last year. I think they thought they would just walk in to Davis Wade, go through the motions, and leave with a routine win. And we were hitting on all cylinders....thus a rout! I don't think we were that much better than the score indicated, but we were definitely the better team. I like coach O, but just don't view him as a good SEC coach.....maybe average. He has his work cut out to keep his job this year.

TrapGame
08-18-2018, 06:58 PM
LSU returns a lot in the secondary, will be more experienced at LB, and will be deeper on the DL. Last year poorly balanced recruiting classes caught up to them at OL and DL. This year one of those should be solved: Last years bad OL lost 1 to graduation, 2 to early entry, and one to suspension, It's why I'm not concerned about their O even if Burrow is ok; I don't think they can protect him or run the ball on us. But their D will be improved this year. i still think we can move the ball though if our OL comes ready to be nasty

As Penn State OC JoMo made Michigan's #3 ranked defense look like Swiss cheese. I think Joe can scheme with the best of them. With our talent and his scheme we should be able to move the ball.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-18-2018, 07:00 PM
To clarify my point on QB's, I do think you can have too many competing. Two years ago we had an issue with Fitz, Staley, and Williams competing. We had Tiano also. Any reps spent on Staley became wasted (some were first team reps). The hierarchy was not clear to the team. Players can start picking sides. QB is one position where you want depth, but you also want a clear depth chart. Like we had last year with Fitz and KT. And we have it this year with Fitz, KT, and Mayden. Everybody is clear who is 1, 2, and 3. And the reps can be given accordingly.

Goldendawg
08-18-2018, 09:36 PM
To clarify my point on QB's, I do think you can have too many competing. Two years ago we had an issue with Fitz, Staley, and Williams competing. We had Tiano also. Any reps spent on Staley became wasted (some were first team reps). The hierarchy was not clear to the team. Players can start picking sides. QB is one position where you want depth, but you also want a clear depth chart. Like we had last year with Fitz and KT. And we have it this year with Fitz, KT, and Mayden. Everybody is clear who is 1, 2, and 3. And the reps can be given accordingly.

Don't forget the Damien Williams debacle over Fitz for a while also.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-19-2018, 07:37 AM
Don't forget the Damien Williams debacle over Fitz for a while also.

I remember. Competition is a good thing, but QB is a little different. You have to settle that position quickly so the team can build around a guy. And that guy can develop his leadership. Fitz is our guy and everybody knows it. KT knows Fitz is the guy also. KT is our second stringer and the team has tremendous confidence in him to lead if Fitz gets hurt. But Fitz is the guy.

msstate7
08-19-2018, 08:47 AM
OT, but Georgia lost zamir white (5-star freshman RB) to ACL

TrapGame
08-19-2018, 09:24 AM
OT, but Georgia lost zamir white (5-star freshman RB) to ACL

Well, that will certainly help us in the SECCG.**

bostondawg
08-19-2018, 12:54 PM
LSU's QB situation has always been dire. That hasn't stopped them from winning games. We'll have a physical contest in Baton Rouge this fall.