PDA

View Full Version : Think we'll have a full house for opening day?

RocketDawg
08-17-2018, 06:49 PM
Perhaps, with a new coach we will. And to see if the team measures up to expectations, particularly to see how Fitz has recovered.

ShotgunDawg
08-17-2018, 07:04 PM
With a night game, I think it'll be close. Stephen F Austin bringing no fans will hurt though.

Coldsleeve Jr.
08-17-2018, 07:08 PM
Normally I'd say no but new coach I say yes

Ezsoil
08-17-2018, 07:11 PM
Perhaps, with a new coach we will. And to see if the team measures up to expectations, particularly to see how Fitz has recovered.

Based on the tickets available on the secondary market, it may be a sell out but I bet it will be hard to get much over 50k in the stadium

Bass Chaser
08-17-2018, 07:50 PM
With a night game, I think it'll be close. Stephen F Austin bringing no fans will hurt though.

Are you going to be there?

Pit Bull
08-17-2018, 08:31 PM
Should be a big crowd. Most folk I know are going just to see the start of the Joe Moorhead era.

99jc
08-17-2018, 08:58 PM
I'd say 53000 max

Goldendawg
08-17-2018, 09:23 PM
When was our last hard sellout? Not against Stephen F. Austin either. Will be a good crowd however. Our 8 will be there (50 plus years of family having season tickets - raised right!) as usual. Hail State!

Homedawg
08-17-2018, 10:01 PM

No will be several thousand short.

Homedawg
08-17-2018, 10:02 PM
Based on the tickets available on the secondary market, it may be a sell out but I bet it will be hard to get much over 50k in the stadium

Secondary market? Heck our ticket office still has plenty left.

RocketDawg
08-17-2018, 10:11 PM
When was our last hard sellout? Not against Stephen F. Austin either. Will be a good crowd however. Our 8 will be there (50 plus years of family having season tickets - raised right!) as usual. Hail State!

I think we've had lots of sellouts, but having a actual full stadium doesn't happen often.

Last hard sellout may have been last year's Egg Bowl, or maybe Alabama before that. Even if the Egg was a sellout, I know there were at least two no-shows ... me.

Bothrops
08-17-2018, 11:04 PM
This game/scrimmage will not pack the stadium, but I guess I could be wrong. Probably the weakest opponent we've played since Jackson State in '09. If they score anything more than a miracle field goal, I won't like it.

Todd4State
08-18-2018, 12:55 AM
I think we've had lots of sellouts, but having a actual full stadium doesn't happen often.

Last hard sellout may have been last year's Egg Bowl, or maybe Alabama before that. Even if the Egg was a sellout, I know there were at least two no-shows ... me.

The Egg Bowl was third behind Alabama and LSU last year in attendance. And just barely ahead of the Kentucky game. Playing on Thanksgiving hurt the actual attendance. We would have easily gotten the other 2-3K on a Saturday.

Goldendawg
08-18-2018, 01:06 AM
I got an e-mail today to purchase single game tickets and they were available for every home game, I think. Anyone know how many season tickets were sold?

Pit Bull
08-18-2018, 06:44 AM
We should have somewhere in the neighborhood of 55 -60K. To have less than that would not be impressive to JoMo…….we need to show him we support him strongly out of the gate. I really hope we can hit 60K. We all need to make an effort to be there to kick off what could be a special season. I'm not going to see Stephen F. Austin.....I'm going to see Miss. State begin a new era. And if we want our coach to stay long term, he needs to see that commitment from us during our OOC schedule as well. See ya' there!!…..and I will be walking around with a cast on my broken foot. No excuses unless you are dead or on your death bed!! Besides....we need to make sure JoMo gets a good taste of cowbell for suppa!!!

Dawgbite
08-18-2018, 07:59 AM
I normally don?t make Labor Day Weekend home games, we usually take advantage of the long weekend for a trip. We usually play some cupcake at 11am when it 102* too. JoMo and the night start time made me change, we will be there.

KOdawg1
08-18-2018, 08:23 AM
The top corners of the upper decks won't be full.

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2018, 08:45 AM

Much over 50K? Heavily disagree

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2018, 08:48 AM
The Egg Bowl was third behind Alabama and LSU last year in attendance. And just barely ahead of the Kentucky game. Playing on Thanksgiving hurt the actual attendance. We would have easily gotten the other 2-3K on a Saturday.

Completely agree.

Another thing that always hurts Egg Bowl attendance is that the opposing team's fans just refuse go to the other school's campus. From an away team's travel perspective, it's almost like a non-conference game vs a G5 school.

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2018, 08:50 AM
I do think that our fan base has become oddly apathetic during this winning era. Not sure what the reasons are for that. Maybe it's Bama's dominance. Not sure.

When Mullen was building up the program, it feels like we were selling more tickets. It's odd

KOdawg1
08-18-2018, 09:07 AM
I do think that our fan base has become oddly apathetic during this winning era. Not sure what the reasons are for that. Maybe it's Bama's dominance. Not sure.

When Mullen was building up the program, it feels like we were selling more tickets. It's odd

Part of the reason is TV. People can sit at home and not have to spend money, fight crowds, etc.

10-15 years ago, a game vs SFA wouldn't have been nationally televised, so if you wanted to see it, you'd be there.

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2018, 09:09 AM
Part of the reason is TV. People can sit at home and not have to spend money, fight crowds, etc.

10-15 years ago, a game vs SFA wouldn't have been nationally televised, so if you wanted to see it, you'd be there.

Yeah, maybe. There were a ton of games on TV when we were selling out every game as well

Captain Falcon
08-18-2018, 09:12 AM
We also expanded the stadium by about 6,000 seats. Some games with noticeable empty seats in 2017 would have been full houses in 2011 or 2012.

BogeyGolfer
08-18-2018, 09:21 AM
I love Miss. State, but I will be on my deck over-looking the lake grilling, drinking and watching football all day. When I was younger, the only way to see us play was visually through the radio unless we were playing Bama or LSU etc...With every game being on TV, I only make a couple of games a year and I live about 1 hour and 15 minutes from campus. The hassle of getting in and out of the stadium, cost of tickets and stress of dealing with it all isn't worth it to me anymore. I have made this argument the last couple of years, the college football culture has changed, people want convenience. The focus around the country is now on premium seating as well as it should be.

IMissJack
08-18-2018, 10:00 AM
If we don't have a sellout it is not the price of a ticket that is the issue. I saw some online for around 10 bucks.

MaroonFlounder
08-18-2018, 10:52 AM
Are you going to be there?

Shotgun strikes me as a guy that never attends the games. Shocking, being that has a record post count****

MaroonFlounder
08-18-2018, 10:58 AM
I love Miss. State, but I will be on my deck over-looking the lake grilling, drinking and watching football all day. When I was younger, the only way to see us play was visually through the radio unless we were playing Bama or LSU etc...With every game being on TV, I only make a couple of games a year and I live about 1 hour and 15 minutes from campus. The hassle of getting in and out of the stadium, cost of tickets and stress of dealing with it all isn't worth it to me anymore. I have made this argument the last couple of years, the college football culture has changed, people want convenience. The focus around the country is now on premium seating as well as it should be.

I understand the convenience and comfort of home and watching on TV, but I would hope that people like you would make an effort to attend more than a couple of games a year, being only 1.25 hrs away. I want coach Mo and this team to see the stadium packed. I don't think we take the next step until that happens.

MaroonFlounder
08-18-2018, 11:04 AM
If JoMo's first game is not a sellout (or close to it), there will be the prevailing narrative that the MSU fan base is not excited about the new HC and staff, which is not the case.

99jc
08-18-2018, 11:21 AM
If JoMo's first game is not a sellout (or close to it), there will be the prevailing narrative that the MSU fan base is not excited about the new HC and staff, which is not the case.

Not true its because were playing a team we will beat by 60. But I will be there.

Maroonthirteen
08-18-2018, 12:04 PM
Not true its because were playing a team we will beat by 60. But I will be there.

Yep. There will be many many empty seats. It is all because of the opponent. It just isn’t an interesting game.

MagicDawg
08-18-2018, 12:39 PM
3 of us will be there coming in from Atlanta. Son will march in high school honor band at halftime.

Goldendawg
08-18-2018, 01:55 PM

Disagree. Not all about JoMo. Our family has been there for 55 years and will be for this opener. College FB is a very $erious committment. Many people, some even true Maroon Dawgs no longer feel it is worth the $ to see a game against a SFA ( even below cupcake status in my opinion). I will be there for all home games but the product you are paying to see OOC needs to be improved.

Todd4State
08-18-2018, 03:10 PM
Disagree. Not all about JoMo. Our family has been there for 55 years and will be for this opener. College FB is a very $erious committment. Many people, some even true Maroon Dawgs no longer feel it is worth the $ to see a game against a SFA ( even below cupcake status in my opinion). I will be there for all home games but the product you are paying to see OOC needs to be improved.

We're not selling out the SEC games either. I don't think it has much to do with the opponent for most people because the OOC games which most were at 11 AM last year were only like 2-5K less than Alabama.

I think if I was doing the scheduling for our OOC our FCS team would always be an in state SWAC school. That creates more interest from our fans, the local media, and it's much easier for the SWAC schools to travel to MSU than say Stephen F Austin.

The other two games would be between some combination of USM, Tulane, Memphis, UAB, La Tech, Middle Tennessee State, South Alabama, and Arkansas State. All of those teams border Mississippi and we have a degree of rivalry with most of them. Most of them are in or near fairly large cities where we could schedule a road game in a 2 for 1 situation. La Tech we could maybe get them to move to Shreveport, MTSU maybe Nashville at the Titans stadium, and Arkansas State maybe get them to move to Memphis at the Liberty Bowl. ULM, ULL, and Georgia State would be the next three on my list. No more UMass or Bowling Green.

The last game I would try to get a service academy to be our mandatory P5 opponent (I think they could count but I may be wrong). It fits with our school's military/ROTC history and those teams have a lot of personnel in Mississippi or veterans who may come to Starkville to check out their team. Especially Army and Air Force.

TALL DAWG
08-18-2018, 03:12 PM
We should have somewhere in the neighborhood of 55 -60K. To have less than that would not be impressive to JoMo??.we need to show him we support him strongly out of the gate. I really hope we can hit 60K. We all need to make an effort to be there to kick off what could be a special season. I'm not going to see Stephen F. Austin.....I'm going to see Miss. State begin a new era. And if we want our coach to stay long term, he needs to see that commitment from us during our OOC schedule as well. See ya' there!!?..and I will be walking around with a cast on my broken foot. No excuses unless you are dead or on your death bed!! Besides....we need to make sure JoMo gets a good taste of cowbell for suppa!!!

I do not think JoMo is the type of guy to get butt hurt over not having 55-60/k seats filled against SFA. And, With it being open day of dove season I do not think we will have over 55k there. Opening day of Dove season is a huge deal for a lot of families. It is like an annual family reunion in a lot of cases with a ton of field (and food prep) going into it.
Im sure JoMo is aware of that.
Hail State!

MaroonFlounder
08-18-2018, 04:22 PM
I do not think JoMo is the type of guy to get butt hurt over not having 55-60/k seats filled against SFA. And, With it being open day of dove season I do not think we will have over 55k there. Opening day of Dove season is a huge deal for a lot of families. It is like an annual family reunion in a lot of cases with a ton of field (and food prep) going into it.
Hail State!

Dove season? Really?

Let's see. Go to a field in 90 degree heat. Shoot up 2 boxes of shells, and come out of there with not much more than a sore shoulder....doves each have a hunk of meat about the size of a plum.

I'd choose a college football game over that.

RocketDawg
08-18-2018, 06:21 PM
If we don't have a sellout it is not the price of a ticket that is the issue. I saw some online for around 10 bucks.

Didn't parking go up to something like $30 this year?

RocketDawg
08-18-2018, 06:25 PM
Hail State!

Why is opening day of dove season such a big deal? Does it just last one day? Couldn't you go hunting the next day? It's not like all the birds are going to be killed on day one.

Pit Bull
08-18-2018, 06:48 PM

I think ticket prices are having an effect now.....not just MSU, everywhere. I remember when I did not like having to pay $50 for a bowl game ticket. Now, you are lucky to get one under $100 for a regular season game. Coaches salaries and the drive to win at all costs have upped the ticket costs to where it is a substantial investment to take a family of 4. People are opting to stay home with their big screen tv, not buy a full season ticket, and just pick and choose a game or two to attend every year. Plus, the hassle of parking in the hinterlands and then paying $20 to walk several miles to the stadium is not exactly appealing. I fear one day we may be parking as far out as Phobe, MS and shuttling to the game and back. I wish we had the vision and wherewithal to build a high speed train connecting the MSU campus and athletic facilities from points like West Point, Columbus, Louisville, and Eupora...a dream, yes, but would still be cool. At least put in some escalators at key points to serve the upper deck.....the elevators are just big traffic jams. I'm an industrial engineer and can tell you a good motion and time study would have been useful before we decided to go with elevators vs escalators. Yes, escalators are more expensive, but IMO, well worth it over the long haul. Got to do things to make the fans WANT to be at the game. Also, need chairbacks with cupholders in 100% of the stadium.

Goldendawg
08-18-2018, 09:29 PM
I think ticket prices are having an effect now.....not just MSU, everywhere. I remember when I did not like having to pay $50 for a bowl game ticket. Now, you are lucky to get one under $100 for a regular season game. Coaches salaries and the drive to win at all costs have upped the ticket costs to where it is a substantial investment to take a family of 4. People are opting to stay home with their big screen tv, not buy a full season ticket, and just pick and choose a game or two to attend every year. Plus, the hassle of parking in the hinterlands and then paying $20 to walk several miles to the stadium is not exactly appealing. I fear one day we may be parking as far out as Phobe, MS and shuttling to the game and back. I wish we had the vision and wherewithal to build a high speed train connecting the MSU campus and athletic facilities from points like West Point, Columbus, Louisville, and Eupora...a dream, yes, but would still be cool. At least put in some escalators at key points to serve the upper deck.....the elevators are just big traffic jams. I'm an industrial engineer and can tell you a good motion and time study would have been useful before we decided to go with elevators vs escalators. Yes, escalators are more expensive, but IMO, well worth it over the long haul. Got to do things to make the fans WANT to be at the game. Also, need chairbacks with cupholders in 100% of the stadium.

We love MSU, but the ticket price is chump change compared to the license fee (Bulldog Club dues) to buy them. We also buy two parking passes and a couple of chairbacks (have 8 season tickets - had 12 in the Jackie years before my Superdawg Dad passed away and my 81 year old Mom now watches at home). The donation no longer being a tax write off is a bummer also. The drop in food prices is a welcome change and long overdue especially for water on 11 a m Sept games. Many good MSU people I know have been priced out of the mrkt. The arm$ race in coaches salaries and facilities has to be paid someway. I think attendance in college football has plateaued. Lots of empty seats all over the country with virtually all games televised.

TALL DAWG
08-18-2018, 10:28 PM
Why is opening day of dove season such a big deal? Does it just last one day? Couldn't you go hunting the next day? It's not like all the birds are going to be killed on day one.

Good point. However, for probably 85-90% of hunters the opening weekend is the only time they go dove hunting. I am in my early 50s and have not missed an opening weekend of hunting since I was 6-7. Catfish fry, pig in ground, hamburger cooking or whatever with 20-30 folks over every year. Like a small family reunion.
To each his own and Hail State!

TALL DAWG
08-18-2018, 10:32 PM
Dove season? Really?

Let's see. Go to a field in 90 degree heat. Shoot up 2 boxes of shells, and come out of there with not much more than a sore shoulder....doves each have a hunk of meat about the size of a plum.

I'd choose a college football game over that.

Lol!

Well, when u take a limit in morning and another in afternoon
that is a lot of plum meat...!

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2018, 10:54 PM

Agree. That and the Arkansas game usually falling on the opening day of deer season are two excuses that belong to a fan base that doesn't deserve to win. Absurd

Todd4State
08-18-2018, 11:40 PM
I don't hunt- I fish.

But for those that hunt, don't most people do that early in the morning? I would think with a 6:30 kickoff a lot of people could do both.

Pit Bull
08-19-2018, 05:51 PM
We love MSU, but the ticket price is chump change compared to the license fee (Bulldog Club dues) to buy them. We also buy two parking passes and a couple of chairbacks (have 8 season tickets - had 12 in the Jackie years before my Superdawg Dad passed away and my 81 year old Mom now watches at home). The donation no longer being a tax write off is a bummer also. The drop in food prices is a welcome change and long overdue especially for water on 11 a m Sept games. Many good MSU people I know have been priced out of the mrkt. The arm$ race in coaches salaries and facilities has to be paid someway. I think attendance in college football has plateaued. Lots of empty seats all over the country with virtually all games televised.

Oops.....when I talk "ticket price"....I did mean ALL the costs associated with getting them....including as you say the seat licensing fees to just be able to buy them and BC member fees, etc. Indeed you are correct......not a cheap proposition.

MaroonFlounder
08-19-2018, 08:51 PM
Catfish fry, pig in ground, hamburger cooking or whatever with 20-30 folks over every year. Like a small family reunion.

That sounds like a good time, actually. Where do you hunt?

RocketDawg
08-19-2018, 08:58 PM
Oops.....when I talk "ticket price"....I did mean ALL the costs associated with getting them....including as you say the seat licensing fees to just be able to buy them and BC member fees, etc. Indeed you are correct......not a cheap proposition.

And when you throw in hotel expenses ... two night minimum if you stay in Starkville and some Columbus hotels ... the cost seat premiums and ticket cost is pretty much doubled, depending on where you sit.

RocketDawg
08-19-2018, 09:00 PM
Good point. However, for probably 85-90% of hunters the opening weekend is the only time they go dove hunting. I am in my early 50s and have not missed an opening weekend of hunting since I was 6-7. Catfish fry, pig in ground, hamburger cooking or whatever with 20-30 folks over every year. Like a small family reunion.
To each his own and Hail State!

Probably a lot lower chance of getting yourself shot if you wait a couple days after opening day. **

BorneDawg
08-19-2018, 09:11 PM
Try affording a family of 5 on a hs teachers salary. Easy $200 to sit so hi you can't hardly see what's going on. I love going and would every game if I could afford to spend $2300 a year for season tickets! But usually only get to go to a couple by myself and 1 with the family

BB30
08-20-2018, 02:05 PM
Completely agree.

Another thing that always hurts Egg Bowl attendance is that the opposing team's fans just refuse go to the other school's campus. From an away team's travel perspective, it's almost like a non-conference game vs a G5 school.

Ill never step foot in oxford for a football game again. Poor experience the last time I went.

Lord McBuckethead
08-20-2018, 02:51 PM
I do agree. It seems like our fan base made it more of a priority through the 2014 year. After Dan losing the egg bowls and bama like he has, people would rather sometimes just to watch it from their couch.

Maroonthirteen
08-20-2018, 02:53 PM
I got an e-mail today to purchase single game tickets and they were available for every home game, I think. Anyone know how many season tickets were sold?

I have no idea the number. However today, August 20, I went to the ticket purchase site and put in that I wanted 2 tickets in best available. I could have bought two season tickets today in section 2 row 44. Where is that? About 10-20 yard line?

I?m going to guess numbers are way down. Unfortunately.