PDA

View Full Version : Scrimmage Notes (4/12)

BeastMan
04-13-2013, 08:53 AM
Sorry about the hold up. Busy day. I know Mic had some good stuff yesterday so hopefully I hit on at least a cpl new thing. And thanks for that yesterday Mic. You get sun burned like me?

http://3rdand57.wordpress.com/2013/04/13/spring-scrimmage-notes-412/

batDAWGrilla
04-13-2013, 09:16 AM
Great write up Beast. Glad to have someone keeping us informed.

hailmari
04-13-2013, 10:12 AM
Pretty cool to hear about Nick James, if he keeps this attitude going, he'll become a fan favorite in no time. I like how we're using Turtle now. I've played basketball with him before, and we should feel good about the athleticism he brings to that spot.

mic
04-13-2013, 10:21 AM
Sorry about the hold up. Busy day. I know Mic had some good stuff yesterday so hopefully I hit on at least a cpl new thing. And thanks for that yesterday Mic. You get sun burned like me?

http://3rdand57.wordpress.com/2013/04/13/spring-scrimmage-notes-412/

Good stuff beast... I agree with everyhting,, And I see you are like me C Hughes may not start but its going to be damn hard to keep him off the field..
I am not as worried about our tackles as some may be. It may be that we just have an All-SEC DE and def a pro in Autry and Preston may be turning into one.
yes Holloway is sooo fast. I wish CDM would have him back on KOR instead of RoJo.. jmo
And B Brown looked very good out there. He and richie are going to be hell in a few years.

Everyone may bitch and moan about our record this year or why cant we do this or that but to me this is the best and deepest talent we have had here since the late 90's teams that were so good. If we just had that OL from back then we would be VERY scary..

BeastMan
04-13-2013, 11:29 AM
I agree on those 90's OL. I think our OL is pretty good but I just worry about about our running game vs good opponents

hacker
04-13-2013, 01:12 PM
"Chris Jones is huge"

he graduated early? or was he just in attendance?

BeastMan
04-13-2013, 01:55 PM
Just roaming the sideline. He reports June 6th. He does not look like a high schooler. The guy looks like an SEC starter right now

TexasDawg
04-13-2013, 06:30 PM
What I'm hearing from within the team is that Nick James and Quay Evans are definitely NFL talents, but they honestly just do not give a shit and have zero work ethic. Also heard that Nick James tried to say we wasn't mentally prepared to take English comp 1 in the fall

gravedigger
04-13-2013, 08:39 PM
Also heard that Nick James tried to say we wasn't mentally prepared to take English comp 1 in the fall

Ignoring the fact that the practice report contradicts what you heard, how about explain this quote. Doesn't make sense.

War Machine Dawg
04-13-2013, 08:57 PM
That's the point, Grave. And what TD said about James being lazy & having no work ethic is the same thing I heard at the Gator Bowl. That could've changed, but thought I'd pass it along.

Coach34
04-13-2013, 09:39 PM
That's the point, Grave. And what TD said about James being lazy & having no work ethic is the same thing I heard at the Gator Bowl. That could've changed, but thought I'd pass it along.

They still have some issues and will continue to have some because basically- they are both dumb as shit. However, both have started busting it in the weight room and have really improved their bodies. Quay really has- so it's surprising to me that he is not having a good Spring.

We have to have one of them to play to their ability- can't have both turd out on us

BeastMan
04-13-2013, 10:13 PM
They still have some issues and will continue to have some because basically- they are both dumb as shit. However, both have started busting it in the weight room and have really improved their bodies. Quay really has- so it's surprising to me that he is not having a good Spring.

We have to have one of them to play to their ability- can't have both turd out on us

I did some checking today. Quay still is dealing with the high ankle sprain and they aren't pushing him too hard. I mean, he's a sophomore and its the spring. Quay has made huge strides with his body. He has worked hard and that's not even debatable. Nick has looked great in practice and is making a huge push. Nothing about him in practice says lazy. I can't speak to either's academic performance but they're practicing, so that means they're passing.

FlabLoser
04-14-2013, 07:19 AM
Awesome news on Nick James. The scoop on him from last year was that he just needed to get in shape. Sounds like he has.

gravedigger
04-14-2013, 09:06 AM
Yea, I didnt mean to insinuate anything about TD himself. But when a couple of practice reports coming out saying two guys are really stepping up, I just didnt understand the nature of the post. MAINLY the nature of the quote.

Was Nick James saying HE wasnt ready to take comp this coming fall, wasnt ready last fall?. If he meant WE who else did he mean?

That is what I didnt get.

PendingTransaction
04-14-2013, 12:36 PM

If Quay doesn't change his attitude, he will be the biggest bust in MSU history.

FlabLoser
04-14-2013, 01:50 PM
If Quay doesn't change his attitude, he will be the biggest bust in MSU history.

#1 recruit Dante Walker disagrees

msstate7
04-14-2013, 01:51 PM
#1 recruit Dante Walker disagrees

Walker was good till senior year. He was too busy selling crack and eating to stay in shape

BeastMan
04-14-2013, 02:10 PM
Walker was good till senior year. He was too busy selling crack and eating to stay in shape

The crazy thing was that he was out of shape his soph year. That's how talented he was. He ran straight threw Tex Am built like a butterball

TexasDawg
04-14-2013, 07:38 PM
Sorry haven't been on in a while. The person who told me that directly works with the football as a GA. So I assume if anybody knows what is up with Quay or Nick that it would be him. And yes I meant to say "he" wasn't mentally capable of taking it in the upcoming fall. Just wanted to pass the info along thinking y'all would find it interesting

FISHDAWG
04-15-2013, 08:27 AM
Clausell just having an off day or does this appear to be symptomatic ?

BeastMan
04-15-2013, 08:39 AM
Clausell just having an off day or does this appear to be symptomatic ?

Clausell actually does better vs Auty types (speed rushers). Preston Smith has got a mean ass bull rush that Blaine doesn't handle as well. Again, I don't think Clausell is bad. He'll be fine. I think Preston Smith is really good

Bo Darville
04-15-2013, 08:40 AM
What I'm hearing from within the team is that Nick James and Quay Evans are definitely NFL talents, but they honestly just do not give a shit and have zero work ethic.

I can believe this. However, after watching James at the scrimmage on April 6th, he looked like he had turned the corner. He looked in better shape and the effort was there. Many guys come in from high school with a lack of work ethic. Anyone good enough to receive an SEC football scholarship was good enough to coast through high school on talent alone. It is a wake-up call for all incoming freshmen when they see the work that is required to compete at this level. James and Quay are just having to adjust like any new player. Hopefully they both will. I was impressed with Nick James at the April 6th scrimmage. Last fall he looked like was going to die after playing a few plays. At the scrimmage I didn't see that.

BeastMan
04-15-2013, 09:12 AM
Very well said Bo. I agree

FlabLoser
04-15-2013, 12:01 PM
I thought NJ looked in shape at the 5:12 mark here http://youtu.be/rINeLK0EXVk

War Machine Dawg
04-15-2013, 12:21 PM
To talk about something other than NJ......it was nice to see that Morrow made a few nice catches, especially in the redzone. It's still too soon to fully label him a bust, but he's certainly been rather disappointing. If he can be at the very least a reliable redzone weapon, that would be huge for us.

Also, can someone help J-Rob work on pass blocking? Sounds like that's pretty much all that's keeping him from taking over at RB. That was one of the reasons I was on the Nick Griffin bandwagon the second half last season: He excelled at pass blocking and blitz pickup. Speaking of Griffin, any word on how his rehab is coming along? I would think he'd be a medshirt candidate, considering how late in the year he tore his ACL.

CadaverDawg
04-15-2013, 12:28 PM
I thought NJ looked in shape at the 5:12 mark here http://youtu.be/rINeLK0EXVk

That's pretty funny.

I really hope James can be one of the guys that brings the swagger back to our defense. We have been lacking enthusiasm as an entire team, and especially on D. I don't want us throwing fins up after every damn play, but I DO like to see us get up and get excited after a big hit....the team feeds off of stuff like that.

Smoot, Bean, Wyms, Love, Ashley Cooper, etc...all had that swag, and I want us to get it back. Enough with us winning nicely and business-like. I want us to have an intimidation factor like we did in the late 90's

pdawg10msu
04-15-2013, 12:44 PM
Coach34 is an awesome mf'er!!! Forreal