PDA

View Full Version : Paidwell a bust

justwin
08-13-2018, 04:48 PM
http://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/26755/inside-laquon-treadwells-redemption-tour-why-year-3-is-different

So the OM friendly media now working for ESPN does a fluff piece on Paidwell and see how he's still blaming his leg injury years later that Cronin laps up. The same paidwell who everyone knew was slow and tried to hide it until finally running a ~4.7 @ pro day way after the combine.

Those comments by the HC Zimmer are tough, accurate and Zimmer's first impression is that he's a bust & SLOW and not a 1st rounder. SLOW does not work in the NFL as a WR. Zimmer's pissed that they never should've used a 1st round pick on him is justified.

All this to be said, I still don't get all of the offseason chatter about how AJ & DK are guaranteed 1st rounders and will be interested to see combines next year. AJ is 6'1 and 230 lbs and runs a high 4.5 (hopefully) which will be hard to translate to the NFL. To Paidwell's credit, he at least made big plays in college vs big teams. AJ better hope that he runs a 4.4 or low 4.5 otherwise, he's about to get stamped by the NFL as a potential bust like Paidwell much like the stigma that Dak got as a Tebow clone, unjustly. AJ had 75 for 1,252, ~17 yds/ catch & 11tds last year. Vs SEC, 45 for 678, ~15 yds & 5 tds including Vandy & KY. Vs SEC West excluding MSU, 24 for 272, ~ 11 yds per & 1 td (TXAM). VS MSU 6/167 & 1. So, he virtually matched his SEC W production against JT Gray on one play. Just seems that AJ has a long way to go this year in order to prove his draft stock in an early round pick. And you know the SEC west Defenses are going to stop AJ first and make the rest of them beat you. Can AJ score 10 tds vs the SEC West this year, which, to me, is the bar for going 1st round? Otherwise, catch 22 in that he has inflated #s vs lower competition with Paidwell's poor NFL performance "linked" to him. OM has Vandy @ Vandy and USC from the east too on top of SEC W. They play Vandy late in the year and that game will mean more to Vandy trying to get 6 wins instead of OM like always in Nashville.

For what it's worth, If I'm an NFL scout, I take DK over AJ anyday. DK's length translates better to the NFL.

Better hope Mingo & Dannis are keeping an eye on this as OM WRs may be getting dubbed as not ready for NFL offenses due to the limited, simple playbook. "smoke"...lol

So, through one preseason game, Paidwell has 1 catch/1 target/3 yds. And you know he's getting a ton of PT in preseason in order to try to get a roster spot.

I thought this was funny, a recent Cronin tweet on a Viking preseason game:

Stacy Coley had two nice catches, including a third-down grab and a 19-yard reception. He's been with the second-team offense in practice but could make a push into getting some reps with the starters. Laquon Treadwell's first half featured a lot of blocking assignments. He was only targeted one time by Trevor Siemian.

Courtney Cronin, ESPN Staff Writer

It just seems like all of the talking heads are assuming AJ is a lock 1st round & I just don't get it. Bo Bounds is bad about it and hard for me to believe that he really, by default, is saying AJ is a lock 1st round comparing to the likes of Julio Jones and Ridley, etc who are former SEC WRs gone 1st round. Bo had Mike D. few weeks ago talking how AJ & DK looked like DEs at a recent summer event and don't know how that's a good thing. NFL WRs are built on speed, precise routes, & separation, not mass.

happy monday!

somebodyshotmypaw
08-13-2018, 07:59 PM
I think AJ is a lock for the first round. Barring any major injury.

thf24
08-13-2018, 08:30 PM
AJ has all the tools he needs for the NFL. His weakness remains his work ethic and attitude. He's quit in too many games in which he faced a little resistance early on thus far in his career, the kind of resistance he's going to face every week in the NFL. If anything hurts his chances, in my opinion, it'll be that.

Dawg61
08-13-2018, 08:34 PM
AJ is mocked as a top ten pick right now

Mutt the Hoople
08-13-2018, 09:03 PM
The Ryan Leaf of wide Receivers.

Bass Chaser
08-13-2018, 09:19 PM
I don't see him as the type of receiver to take the top off. I think he's more of a possession type receiver. How does he do against DBs that are physical and in his face? Think about him vs. someone like Slay, he's not getting open.

msstate7
08-13-2018, 09:39 PM
AJ could be a mike Williams type. Williams is a big guy that's a 4.56 guy. Williams is a good bit taller though

Lord McBuckethead
08-13-2018, 11:47 PM
Look. AJ is good. He has always been good. He makes every college team better. DK is also good. It doesn't matter which team he played for in college. The only thing that is sad, is that he could have learned a little more football pretty much anywhere else in the SEC. Treadwell too for that matter.

MSU has by far a better coaching staff and teach our players how to get to the next level in their development. AJ at State would have been a sure fire first rounder. Heck, if he went to any SEC team other than UM and TN, there would be no denying him a first round pick.

munk_munk92
08-14-2018, 12:16 AM
I think your wrong on AJ. AJ has that it factor and is a really good route runner. Jerry Rice wasn't the fastest either but a great route runner. Mark it down, AJ will have a very good NFL career.

bulldawg28
08-14-2018, 05:22 AM
I think weight may be a problem with AJ in the future. He's built like a RB and probably runs a 4.6 with tremendous hands. That's what separates him. He doesn't drop the ball at all. However, he'll struggle in the NFL getting separation from the speed of the NFL db's. However, he's going to catch the ball if it touches his hands.

louisvilledawg
08-14-2018, 12:51 PM
I think weight may be a problem with AJ in the future. He's built like a RB and probably runs a 4.6 with tremendous hands. That's what separates him. He doesn't drop the ball at all. However, he'll struggle in the NFL getting separation from the speed of the NFL db's. However, he's going to catch the ball if it touches his hands.

Disagree with all of your negative points about him. That dude is going to be a good-very good NFL wr imo.

msstate7
08-14-2018, 01:07 PM
Disagree with all of your negative points about him. That dude is going to be a good-very good NFL wr imo.

I think so too, but who here predicted Treadwell would be a bust his last year of college? Treadwell led the sec in yards per game, and he was 2nd in yds per game in conference games only. I certainly didn't see him flopping.

bulldawg28
08-14-2018, 04:50 PM

I never said he wasn't going to be a good WR. I'm saying he's slow and will be a possession WR similar to Alshon Jeffery.
When he played elite Db's last year he struggled. Against Bama he had 6 yds recieving. Against LSU he had 38 yds receiving. Against Arkansas he had 48 yards receiving. All of those teams play bump and run man coverage. That's not impressive against the better corners in the SEC. He had 65 against Kentucky. He dominated weaker opponents and disappeared against any team with defensive backs with a pulse.