PDA

View Full Version : O.T. Tom Wolfe, Esquire Mag, Jr. Johnson & NASCAR 1965

Bully13
08-12-2018, 04:11 PM
A story that needs not be forgotten. Wolfe was considered the best writer in his time. A NYC writer decided to take a trip to NC Appalachia bootleg country. Don't waste your time watching Hollywood's version of Wolfes Last American Hero version.

I've been to one NASCAR race in my life despite living 8 miles from Texas Motor Speedway for 15 years. And that's cuz I got free tics to see Gordon's last race. I forget who won, but I had earphones on when I heard the pit crew yell "Hell Yea Baby, Back on Top!!". As a "non fan" like me, the impact that moment had on me was memorable to me. I'll never forget the last few moments listening to the winning pit crew. I was actually surprised at how many seconds of silence that were involved. I came away that at the end of the day, it's up to the individual drivers, kinda like golfers.

Oh, it was Jimmy Johnson who won.

Google tom Wolfe, jr Johnson if you care to read one of the most revolutionary culture and sports stories of all time.

There is a video of Jr Johnson and Wolfe met for a video interview decades later.

Jr Johnson was an American Bad Ass.

parabrave
08-12-2018, 07:55 PM
Gary Busey did a great job portraying him.

SailingDawg
08-13-2018, 12:11 PM
Used to be a big NASCAR fan in the 80s and 90s. I hate to see it dying off but attendance is horrible.

You can still see bootlegging racing at your local dirt track!

LC Dawg
08-13-2018, 02:57 PM
Jr Johnson was an American Bad Ass.

Yep.

The Federalist Engineer
08-13-2018, 10:40 PM
I love T. Wolfe, this dude is totally fearless and awesome.

He wrote a book that made Noam Chomsky his bitch. The thing about nasty little communist sappers like Chomsky is that they cant stand to be laughed at.

Also, his satire on Psychology in Back to Blood is almost too damn good. MSU should give him an honorary doctorate and ask him to give a commencement address.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/9765684-3x2-940x627.jpg