PDA

View Full Version : JoMo on how he'll use new red shirt rule

starkvegasdawg
08-11-2018, 12:54 PM
Says he's looking at them playing the first two games, one of the next 8, and then in the bowl game. I like that approach. Would be a nice touch to get your last game as a true freshman be the bowl game.

Todd4State
08-11-2018, 02:19 PM
That seems pretty logical. Since K-State is our second opponent I'd probably lean more towards the ULL game though.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-11-2018, 02:53 PM
He said playing them in 2 of the 1st 4 games.

Cowbell
08-11-2018, 03:06 PM
Says he's looking at them playing the first two games, one of the next 8, and then in the bowl game. I like that approach. Would be a nice touch to get your last game as a true freshman be the bowl game.

I?m hoping that we play in 2 bowl games

Leroy Jenkins
08-11-2018, 03:20 PM
Love the new rule..... With 85 scholarships that equates to every 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string player at every position (including punter and kicker) getting a full ride, and still have 13 scholarships left. I think it is easier on coaches now especially when they don't to have to decide if they want to burn a shirt for a guy to fill in for a few games due to injury or some other issue. Going back to 2007 the average D1 program plays 55 players a game (so you can infer there were usually 30ish RS and medical hold-outs not participating to make the 85) I would expect the participation roster to go up.

Perhaps the RS participation rule matriculates to other sports. I know baseball wishes they could have those 13 left over scholarships.

Quaoarsking
08-11-2018, 04:28 PM
#1 goal: Limit KT to only 4 games, not necessarily in the above pattern.

Todd4State
08-11-2018, 04:32 PM
He said playing them in 2 of the 1st 4 games.

That makes more sense.

Todd4State
08-11-2018, 04:34 PM
Love the new rule..... With 85 scholarships that equates to every 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string player at every position (including punter and kicker) getting a full ride, and still have 13 scholarships left. I think it is easier on coaches now especially when they don't to have to decide if they want to burn a shirt for a guy to fill in for a few games due to injury or some other issue. Going back to 2007 the average D1 program plays 55 players a game (so you can infer there were usually 30ish RS and medical hold-outs not participating to make the 85) I would expect the participation roster to go up.

Perhaps the RS participation rule matriculates to other sports. I know baseball wishes they could have those 13 left over scholarships.

I like how it gives a lot more roster flexibility. Playing an Air Raid team? Let's add another DB or two from the redshirt list. Playing a pro-style team? Add in another LB or two.

Leroy Jenkins
08-11-2018, 06:44 PM

CJM has already said he doesn't see a scenario where KT red-shirts. I think his words were, its more likely that both QBs are on the field at the same time than KT red-shirts.

ShotgunDawg
08-11-2018, 06:55 PM

I don't think you can.

Just play the crap out of KT and have him 100% ready for 2019

NolaDawgPound
08-12-2018, 04:26 PM
CJM has already said he doesn't see a scenario where KT red-shirts. I think his words were, its more likely that both QBs are on the field at the same time than KT red-shirts.

Would love to see some UL Monroe style dual QB sets. They ran it a couple years ago and the defense did not know what to do. Of course they had one LH and one RH QB, which created more havoc.

Todd4State
08-12-2018, 10:22 PM
Would love to see some UL Monroe style dual QB sets. They ran it a couple years ago and the defense did not know what to do. Of course they had one LH and one RH QB, which created more havoc.

Penn State had some formations with two QB's on the field some last year. They didn't use them like ULM did. Essentially one functioned like an old school halfback that could throw, run or catch the ball. I'm pretty sure Key will do that for us this year and play that role- which is why he won't redshirt.

HoopsDawg
08-12-2018, 10:28 PM

First thing I've heard from JoMo that I don't like.

msstatelp1
08-13-2018, 09:07 AM
First thing I've heard from JoMo that I don't like.

No need to redshirt KT. We've got Mayden behind him and Shrader committed for 2019. KT will be the QB next year so get him as much playing time as possible.

Prediction? Pain.
08-13-2018, 09:20 AM
If you haven't watched the Media Day press conference, here's Moorhead's full statement on how he plans to handle the new redshirt rule, which I think is pretty spot-on from start to finish:

"We definitely have a plan. I think the first thing that needs to be addressed is we are not going to play them if they have not earned the right to play. You earmark a certain number of players that will be activated and be on the travel roster and have a chance to go into the game. We're not just going to put them in if they are not better than the two or the three in that position. So, the first thing is they have to earn the right to step on the field with their performance because it is not just something we are going to hand to them. We're going to say you're not going to play if you do not get better. I don't think that is something that benefits team morale if you are just throwing a freshman in there when you have guys that are older and better than them. We have looked at a model for if they have earned the right to play then we are going to get them in the game. Two of the first four, one of the last eight and then certainly down the line hopefully there are multiple post-season games that we have the opportunity to play in those games. That's our initial thought process, but certainly be an ongoing discussion as injuries occur and guys show that they deserve to be on the field."