PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain this to me?

Cowbell
08-10-2018, 10:27 AM
I was listening to the first take this morning, and a draft analyst named Jeffries Simmons as the top inside Dlineman in the country. So we have the best interior lineman And arguably the best defense end. How much drop off can there be in the other 2 starters to make Clemson the better Dline on paper?

smootness
08-10-2018, 10:51 AM
I was listening to the first take this morning, and a draft analyst named Jeffries Simmons as the top inside Dlineman in the country. So we have the best interior lineman And arguably the best defense end. How much drop off can there be in the other 2 starters to make Clemson the better Dline on paper?

Well, here are a few thoughts:

1) Not everyone shares the same opinion. So while this person has Simmons as the best interior DL, most have Ed Oliver from Houston at the top and then Christian Wilkins and Dexter Lawrence from Clemson just behind him. So a lot of people have two Clemson DTs above Simmons. I would personally disagree, but regardless, the fact that they definitely have 2 of the top 5 or so is pretty insane.

2) If Sweat is arguably the best DE, then Clelin Ferrell and Austin Bryant...from Clemson...definitely are as well.

3) ESPN has all 4 of Clemson's starting DL ranked ahead of any of ours. Sure, they could be wrong, and they like pumping up the top teams. But they do have a player from Houston #1 overall. So were someone to rank us ahead of them, wouldn't Clemson fans have a better argument than we do currently?

In short, it is absolutely arguable, and probably just incorrect, that our top 2 DL are better than theirs. And their #3 and #4, at least right now, certainly look much better.

gravedigger
08-10-2018, 11:09 AM

The people ranking position players are:

Not coaches

Playing to certain fan bases

Wondering that if we are fool enough to believe recruiting stars, maybe there is something else we?ll pay money for.

Cowbell
08-10-2018, 11:13 AM
Well, here are a few thoughts:

1) Not everyone shares the same opinion. So while this person has Simmons as the best interior DL, most have Ed Oliver from Houston at the top and then Christian Wilkins and Dexter Lawrence from Clemson just behind him. So a lot of people have two Clemson DTs above Simmons. I would personally disagree, but regardless, the fact that they definitely have 2 of the top 5 or so is pretty insane.

2) If Sweat is arguably the best DE, then Clelin Ferrell and Austin Bryant...from Clemson...definitely are as well.

3) ESPN has all 4 of Clemson's starting DL ranked ahead of any of ours. Sure, they could be wrong, and they like pumping up the top teams. But they do have a player from Houston #1 overall. So were someone to rank us ahead of them, wouldn't Clemson fans have a better argument than we do currently?

In short, it is absolutely arguable, and probably just incorrect, that our top 2 DL are better than theirs. And their #3 and #4, at least right now, certainly look much better.

Thanks Smoot - this is what I was looking for - someone to explain to me since I am ignorant on their defensive line (besides the fact that I watch them and know they are incredible as a unit).

I do belove Gerri Green looks like a new man and he and Rivers could change the argument pretty quick.

Bully13
08-10-2018, 11:20 AM
The only way IMO to rank players is to have coaches across their respective conferences rank them. In other words, if you wanna know who the best D-Linemen are in the SEC, get a take from the O-Coordinators and O-Line coaches that have gone up against them. So on and so forth.

TUSK
08-10-2018, 11:38 AM

I can't speak to the accuracy of this site, but it's user friendly as you can search NFL prospects by position...

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008P.php#2019positions

They've got 3 of Clemson's DL going really early and the 4th DL in the 2nd round...

fishwater99
08-10-2018, 11:49 AM
I can't speak to the accuracy of this site, but it's user friendly as you can search NFL prospects by position...

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008P.php#2019positions

They've got 3 of Clemson's DL going really early and the 4th DL in the 2nd round...

They really are still saying Simmons has off-field issues.. Wow..

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/MississippiState_logo.gif

Jeffery Simmons*, DT, Mississippi State
Height: 6-4. Weight: 301.
Projected 40 Time: 4.95.
Projected Round (2019): 1-2.
6/15/18: Simmons is extremely talented athletically and possesses a ton of upside. In 2017, he totaled 60 tackles with 12 tackles for a loss, five sacks, two forced fumbles and one pass batted. As a freshman, he had 40 tackles with two forced fumbles. While Simmons is a great athlete with a superb skill set, he has off-the-field concerns, including a video of him striking a woman with multiple punches in a street fight. Similar to Joe Mixon, that video could cause Simmons to slide in his draft class.

smootness
08-10-2018, 11:56 AM
They really are still saying Simmons has off-field issues.. Wow..

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/MississippiState_logo.gif

Jeffery Simmons*, DT, Mississippi State
Height: 6-4. Weight: 301.
Projected 40 Time: 4.95.
Projected Round (2019): 1-2.
6/15/18: Simmons is extremely talented athletically and possesses a ton of upside. In 2017, he totaled 60 tackles with 12 tackles for a loss, five sacks, two forced fumbles and one pass batted. As a freshman, he had 40 tackles with two forced fumbles. While Simmons is a great athlete with a superb skill set, he has off-the-field concerns, including a video of him striking a woman with multiple punches in a street fight. Similar to Joe Mixon, that video could cause Simmons to slide in his draft class.

Make no mistake, that will absolutely come up around draft time, especially if he's looking like a potential top 10-15 pick. It may not ultimately alter his stock, but it will be brought up, both by teams and in the media.

Political Hack
08-10-2018, 12:07 PM
Make no mistake, that will absolutely come up around draft time, especially if he's looking like a potential top 10-15 pick. It may not ultimately alter his stock, but it will be brought up, both by teams and in the media.

I think nfl teams will quickly dismiss it just as the authorities did. Plus, you look at his off the field record since and it's damn near unbelievable.

BrunswickDawg
08-10-2018, 12:23 PM

When Simmons go pro, his agent needs to have a top notch PR person - and they need to have him do a detailed interview on ESPN of what led up to that incident and what he has done since.
Being young and poor, the kid couldn't defend his image. It was an ugly incident - and I am no means saying he should have done it - but from what I have read on this incident over the years I think many of us would have done the exact same thing in that situation.

RocketDawg
08-10-2018, 04:01 PM

Males, especially ones the size of football players, should not go around beating up on women. But Mixon severely injured what appeared to be about a 100 pound girl, knocking her off the chair. She darn near flew through the air with the blow. The woman Simmons beat on was about his size, had apparently been taunting him, and he caused no injury that I know of. Nevertheless, he overstepped civility but apparently has toed the line since then.

Todd4State
08-10-2018, 04:31 PM
I think nfl teams will quickly dismiss it just as the authorities did. Plus, you look at his off the field record since and it's damn near unbelievable.

Remind me- did Nkemdiche's off the field issues come up during the draft? Certainly didn't keep him out of the first round.

I think if Simmon's falls to the second it's just because of the depth at DT this year. I know this sounds crazy but he may be better off financially to come back for his senior year unless he is a surefire no doubt first round pick. He could definitely go off this year and be a first rounder.

Todd4State
08-10-2018, 04:32 PM
Males, especially ones the size of football players, should not go around beating up on women. But Mixon severely injured what appeared to be about a 100 pound girl, knocking her off the chair. She darn near flew through the air with the blow. The woman Simmons beat on was about his size, had apparently been taunting him, and he caused no injury that I know of. Nevertheless, he overstepped civility but apparently has toed the line since then.

Wasn't she also beating up Simmons sister too? It was a little more than just taunting.

Cowbell
08-10-2018, 05:52 PM
Remind me- did Nkemdiche's off the field issues come up during the draft? Certainly didn't keep him out of the first round.

I think if Simmon's falls to the second it's just because of the depth at DT this year. I know this sounds crazy but he may be better off financially to come back for his senior year unless he is a surefire no doubt first round pick. He could definitely go off this year and be a first rounder.

The guy on first take this morning thought he would be a possible top 10 pick.

Hambone
08-10-2018, 06:49 PM
The problem is,, they are only going to play that 30 second clip that shows him hitting her... they won’t dare show the entire video that shows him and others trying to break the fight up multiple times and then him going to extremes to protect his sister.

Not giving an excuse what so ever, hitting women is just not acceptable, however I feel it would shed a different light on this bad situation