PDA

View Full Version : Consensus Observations From the First Few Days of Practice

ShotgunDawg
08-06-2018, 06:55 PM
After reading a lot & listening to Boneyard & Wimberly's podcast, here are the consensus observations that present media seem to have about our team thus far.

- Rosebowl say we always looked good, but this year it's on another level as far as speed & athleticism.

- Many players appear to have trimmed up. Considering our depth on the DL & at RB, being more explosive makes sense & gives us a greater chance of winning big games due to the potential to make more big plays, shorten drives, & cause turnovers due to speed.

- Stephen Guidry is LEGIT. Early reviews appear to indicate that he is an NFL caliber talent. Here is video of him today: I get a taller version of Fred Brown feeling with him when watching this. I don't think we've had anyone over 6'0" have this type of burst off the line in a long time. https://twitter.com/i/status/1026615453945405440 https://twitter.com/i/status/1026616683983785985.

- There is a growing consensus that due to Guidry, Austin Williams' progression, Mixon & Dear being healthy, Whop's physicality, Dedrick Thomas' shake, & Jesse Jackson's consistency, that WR could end up being a strength for this team this year. (If it is, we should be in the running for Atlanta.

- Kylin has literally lost 15 & looks it. Apparently looks much quicker.

- Nathanial Watson looks like a legit future SEC LB.

- Fitz is healthy. Here is video of him throwing today: https://twitter.com/i/status/1026613337923178503
https://twitter.com/i/status/1026616976850989056.

If anyone else has heard anything, please add to this thread. What I've posted is what all the media guys appear to agree on.

starkvegasdawg
08-06-2018, 07:14 PM
http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdghxtJeT41qb8pdro1_400.gif

Todd4State
08-06-2018, 08:31 PM
I'll just say this- we're getting a lot of love and more than usual. And rightfully so. But at the same time, I think we're still a little underrated in some regards because a lot of the experts don't know about some of our guys like Guidry and Cole. Yet.

TrapGame
08-06-2018, 08:37 PM
I'll just say this- we're getting a lot of love and more than usual. And rightfully so. But at the same time, I think we're still a little underrated in some regards because a lot of the experts don't know about some of our guys like Guidry and Cole. Yet.

True. When Jordan Rodgers was praising us on SECN tonight and mentioned Getsy working with WRs he didn't name a single WR we have now. He actually spoke as though it's the same guys as last year.

ShotgunDawg
08-06-2018, 08:52 PM
Apparently Abram missed practice today. Does anyone know what is going on?

Can't afford to lose him

Cooterpoot
08-06-2018, 08:53 PM
WR will not be a strength. But we do have more of them and more young talent. I’ll wait til we’re hitting everyone in pads before I get too excited.

ShotgunDawg
08-06-2018, 08:54 PM
True. When Jordan Rodgers was praising us on SECN tonight and mentioned Getsy working with WRs he didn't name a single WR we have now. He actually spoke as though it's the same guys as last year.

I don't think people realize that even the guys we had last year were mostly hurt.

Last year is not indicative of our WR core in any way, but yet is being presented that way

HoopsDawg
08-06-2018, 09:03 PM
I don't think people realize that even the guys we had last year were mostly hurt.

Last year is not indicative of our WR core in any way, but yet is being presented that way

Mullen and crew recruited very poorly at WR the past few years. We are really banking on 2 first year D1 players in Whop and Guidry. They have talent, but right now, who knows how they will perform. Big drop off in talent after those 2. Mixon, Thomas and Dear can make plays in the slot, but they have certain limitations. And Austin Williams is another 1st year guy. These are the facts.

Secondary depth is a big concern. And we can absolutely not afford to lose our center. So there are some question marks when you talk about being an elite team. But no reason we shouldn't go 9-3, 8-4 at worst.

Cooterpoot
08-06-2018, 09:05 PM
The question is how productive will the new guys, outside of Guidry, be. Can freshmen get it done? Not many are very successful vs SEC defenses. Just a fact of life.

SmokeyDawg
08-06-2018, 09:07 PM
WR will not be a strength. But we do have more of them and more young talent. I’ll wait til we’re hitting everyone in pads before I get too excited.

I think our WRs will catch some teams off guard, not only bc of last seasons stats, but bc of our concepts, new comers, and you still have to stop an extremely dynamic run attack. I don't see it being The strength but I see us being a lot more balanced.

ShotgunDawg
08-06-2018, 09:12 PM
The question is how productive will the new guys, outside of Guidry, be. Can freshmen get it done? Not many are very successful vs SEC defenses. Just a fact of life.

Doesn't Moorhead only run 3 WR sets & keep the best 3 WRs on the field 80% of the time?

You making it out like we need 8 dudes or something. Best I can tell, Guidry, Mixon, Williams, Whop, Dear, Thomas, & Jackson should be more than enough to run anything Moorhead has in the playbook.

We don't need DL & OL depth in the WR unit. If Guidry & any two of the ones I listed are good, then we will be fine at WR. Guidry is the most important

HoopsDawg
08-06-2018, 09:15 PM
I think our WRs will catch some teams off guard, not only bc of last seasons stats, but bc of our concepts, new comers, and you still have to stop an extremely dynamic run attack. I don't see it being The strength but I see us being a lot more balanced.

They need to be able to beat man coverage. If they can't consistently beat man to man coverage, we won't reach our potential.

Cooterpoot
08-06-2018, 09:17 PM
No, I’m saying the best freshman in the SEC only put up 646 yards last year in an offense that will throw the ball a lot more than our offense. The FR are going to have struggles. Our older guys are less talented. I’m saying our WRs arent going to be a team strength.

ShotgunDawg
08-06-2018, 09:20 PM
No, I’m saying the best freshman in the SEC only put up 646 yards last year in an offense that will throw the ball a lot more than our offense. The FR are going to have struggles. Our older guys are less talented. I’m saying our WRs arent going to be a team strength.

With our running game & defense, they don't need to be a team strength.

Without looking, can anyone name 3 Auburn WRs? ............. Didn't think so. Point is, you don't need Ole Miss' WR core to be a complete offense. With our running game, if our WR can just be average rather than deficient, that's going to make stopping our running game almost impossible.

Commercecomet24
08-06-2018, 09:23 PM
They need to be able to beat man coverage. If they can't consistently beat man to man coverage, we won't reach our potential.

This is the key right here. Absolutely have to be able to beat man coverage for us to become elite. I honestly believe Whop and Guidry are gonna be beasts but how quickly they get up to speed is the question.

HoopsDawg
08-06-2018, 09:24 PM

Without looking, can anyone name 3 Auburn WRs? ............. Didn't think so. Point is, you don't need Ole Miss' WR core to be a complete offense. With our running game, if our WR can just be average rather than deficient, that's going to make stopping our running game almost impossible.

Depends on your expectations. If you are fine with 8-4 then our WR's can be average. If you want to win the West, then they must be much better than average.

We need Guidry to be a juco impact along the same lines as Duke Williams at AU and Cordarrelle Patterson at UT. I'm not sure he's that kind of player.

NCDawg
08-06-2018, 09:26 PM
Mullen and crew recruited very poorly at WR the past few years. We are really banking on 2 first year D1 players in Whop and Guidry. They have talent, but right now, who knows how they will perform. Big drop off in talent after those 2. Mixon, Thomas and Dear can make plays in the slot, but they have certain limitations. And Austin Williams is another 1st year guy. These are the facts.

Secondary depth is a big concern. And we can absolutely not afford to lose our center. So there are some question marks when you talk about being an elite team. But no reason we shouldn't go 9-3, 8-4 at worst.

You're correct about our secondary being a big concern. We got beat way too many times last year. Let's hope this year shows a great improvement.

Cooterpoot
08-06-2018, 09:27 PM

I was just responding to you saying they could be a strength. We’re 3 days into camp. Take all the hype with a grain of salt. That’s all I’m saying. It’s like a spring game 7v7 right now.

KOdawg1
08-06-2018, 09:38 PM
Sounds like we're good in the slot. We have Mixon, Thomas, Dear, and possibly Whop and Williams there. Plenty of athleticism, talent, and experience. It's outside where I have questions. Guidry seems to be as good as advertised, so we just need Jesse Jackson and Couch to step up. I'm hoping Jesse has a good year. He was decently rated out of high school, but hasn't contributed as much as I'd hoped. Being his senior year, maybe he'll be a factor for us.

ShotgunDawg
08-06-2018, 09:39 PM
Depends on your expectations. If you are fine with 8-4 then our WR's can be average. If you want to win the West, then they must be much better than average.

We need Guidry to be a juco impact along the same lines as Duke Williams at AU and Cordarrelle Patterson at UT. I'm not sure he's that kind of player.

Were Auburn's WRs above average in 2017? They won the West

justwin
08-06-2018, 09:41 PM
Doesn't Moorhead only run 3 WR sets & keep the best 3 WRs on the field 80% of the time?

You making it out like we need 8 dudes or something. Best I can tell, Guidry, Mixon, Williams, Whop, Dear, Thomas, & Jackson should be more than enough to run anything Moorhead has in the playbook.

We don't need DL & OL depth in the WR unit. If Guidry & any two of the ones I listed are good, then we will be fine at WR. Guidry is the most important

No no, whop is the most important

Been wAiting on whop for a long long time

No drama, enrolled early, grinder, alpha, day 1 unquestioned starter

justwin
08-06-2018, 09:48 PM

Yep, no more Donald banana route gray either. The absolute best wrs run routes with precision focusing on the cut and brakes creating larger windows & space. Much like they do in Green Bay. The closest analogy I can think of this year with getsy & our improved wr development is year 1 in what Dan did with the relf offense in how I was so amazed at what Dan got out of his qb.

KOdawg1
08-06-2018, 09:50 PM
Is Osirus Mitchell still on the team? Never hear anything about him.

Todd4State
08-06-2018, 09:52 PM

And with our slot guys being pretty productive known quantities it means that only two among the Guidry, Whop, Austin Williams, Couch, and Jesse Jackson group have to step up.

ShotgunDawg
08-06-2018, 09:55 PM

Whop is going to be really really good, but Guidry is the key IMO because he's a legit deep threat.

ShotgunDawg
08-06-2018, 09:56 PM
And with our slot guys being pretty productive known quantities it means that only two among the Guidry, Whop, Austin Williams, Couch, and Jesse Jackson group have to step up.

I think Guidry has to be one of the three to step up if we are going to have a chance to win the West.

We simply have no one else like him.

BuckyIsAB****
08-06-2018, 10:17 PM
This league is won in the trenches not at WR. And we are going to be one of the best in the league on both sides. WRs dont have to be great. All you need is 1 to be really good to make the defense account for him and you are solid. He makes your others better and can occupy a safety and that helps with your numbers in the box.

Farrod Green and Justin Johnson have been underused as well. Green may have a breakout year

BuckyIsAB****
08-06-2018, 10:18 PM

Yes and he will get a chance now that Todd is gone

SmokeyDawg
08-06-2018, 10:32 PM
I think Guidry has to be one of the three to step up if we are going to have a chance to win the West.

I agree with this. If Guidry has a big year it will open up the field for not only the run game but for the other receivers as well. Hill will be running some deep routs too. I think Getsy will prove to be a valuable commodity.

Todd4State
08-06-2018, 10:37 PM
I agree with this. If Guidry has a big year it will open up the field for not only the run game but for the other receivers as well. Hill will be running some deep routs too. I think Getsy will prove to be a valuable commodity.

This makes me smile. Finally utilizing the talent that we have instead of just relying on our QB to bulldoze everyone is going to be nice for a change.

HoopsDawg
08-06-2018, 10:37 PM

Yes they most certainly were above avg. Ryan Davis and Darius Slayton were big time recruits and were productive players who had to be accounted for. And I like Hill/Williams but kerryon johnson and Kam Pettway are NFL backs.

Todd4State
08-06-2018, 10:39 PM

I agree. We need him to be the go to receiver on day one.

hacker
08-06-2018, 10:42 PM
Haven’t seen it mentioned that Kylin is first on the depth chart at RB

SmokeyDawg
08-06-2018, 10:52 PM
Haven’t seen it mentioned that Kylin is first on the depth chart at RB

I wasn't alluding to that, and maybe Aries is used the same way but I think Hill's skill set is more dangerous to get behind the defense. Especially if someone matches up a linebacker with him. I just remember Saquon running several deep routs for touchdowns. I'm not sure how frequent it was used but I like the concept

Cowbell
08-06-2018, 11:02 PM
I live in Big 12 country and I remember vividly that OU was so concerned this time last year at their lack of WR experience going into the season (but they did have a good TE). But a great QB made up the difference. Hopefully we get the same kinda of play out of Fitz - he is the most important key to WR success.

hacker
08-06-2018, 11:08 PM
I wasn't alluding to that, and maybe Aries is used the same way but I think Hill's skill set is more dangerous to get behind the defense. Especially if someone matches up a linebacker with him. I just remember Saquon running several deep routs for touchdowns. I'm not sure how frequent it was used but I like the concept

I just meant that Hill got bumped to first string today and haven?t seen anyone talking about it.

SmokeyDawg
08-06-2018, 11:25 PM
I just meant that Hill got bumped to first string today and haven?t seen anyone talking about it.

Got you. I did not see that. I'm sure they'll split the time as the #1 through camp and the season unless one becomes unstoppable and even then we pack a nice 1, 2 punch.

CadaverDawg
08-06-2018, 11:43 PM
This early camp hype of Guidry is giving me Tony Burks flashbacks.

Thank God this isn't going to be a McCorvey offense though, so I'm hopeful

bulldawg28
08-07-2018, 01:37 AM

Be quiet some guys may freak out.

bulldawg28
08-07-2018, 01:41 AM

Great point. You can also add Georgia. They didn't have 1 all SEC WR last year.

Dawg61
08-07-2018, 05:09 AM
WR will not be a strength. But we do have more of them and more young talent. I?ll wait til we?re hitting everyone in pads before I get too excited.

No, I?m saying the best freshman in the SEC only put up 646 yards last year in an offense that will throw the ball a lot more than our offense. The FR are going to have struggles. Our older guys are less talented. I?m saying our WRs arent going to be a team strength.

I was just responding to you saying they could be a strength. We?re 3 days into camp. Take all the hype with a grain of salt. That?s all I?m saying. It?s like a spring game 7v7 right now.

Your posts aren't just a grain of salt they are a 50lb bag of Morton's.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71ANkbUa8GL._SL1500_.jpg

Jack Lambert
08-07-2018, 08:11 AM
Your posts aren't just a grain of salt they are a 50lb bag of Morton's.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71ANkbUa8GL._SL1500_.jpg

When I was a little kid I was amaze with the chick on box. I thought it was cool she got to walk in the rain.

Johnson85
08-07-2018, 09:21 AM

Where is this being reported? Was he just running with the 1's, or did we actually put out a new depth chart?

I'm actually surprised if he was listed as #1. For everything but QB and DB, my approach would be for the touches/plays to tell the tale of who is really #1, but I'd let a good upperclassmen leader retain his spot as "starter" on the depth chart.

Johnson85
08-07-2018, 09:24 AM
This league is won in the trenches not at WR. And we are going to be one of the best in the league on both sides. WRs dont have to be great. All you need is 1 to be really good to make the defense account for him and you are solid. He makes your others better and can occupy a safety and that helps with your numbers in the box.

Farrod Green and Justin Johnson have been underused as well. Green may have a breakout year

Yes, all you need is one, but that's not exactly an easy task for us historically. And we will be counting on a first year JUCO transfer or a true freshman to do that this year. That's not an envious position to be in even though Guidry has the measurables.

Ari Gold
08-07-2018, 09:27 AM
You're correct about our secondary being a big concern. We got beat way too many times last year. Let's hope this year shows a great improvement.

Shoop will be coaching the Dbs which will make them and the scheme better

Ari Gold
08-07-2018, 09:29 AM

Outside of Austin Williams, he had the best spring of the WR

Ari Gold
08-07-2018, 09:35 AM
Hopefully I can Get a practice in next week.

Howboutdemdogs
08-07-2018, 09:37 AM
The one thing I am most happy about is that there is "no farm". We have a top caliber facility, and we finally utilizing it to it's full potential.

ShotgunDawg
08-07-2018, 11:16 AM
Shoop will be coaching the Dbs which will make them and the scheme better

Ever since Saban, Kirby, and Muschamp have become defensive savants, I've always wondered if DB coaches make the best DCs?

Like catcher in baseball, it would seem to me that DBs would have a more instinctive, clearer picture of the entire scheme, since they can see it all in front of them.

Hopefully this theory is correct.

hacker
08-07-2018, 11:48 AM
Where is this being reported? Was he just running with the 1's, or did we actually put out a new depth chart?

I'm actually surprised if he was listed as #1. For everything but QB and DB, my approach would be for the touches/plays to tell the tale of who is really #1, but I'd let a good upperclassmen leader retain his spot as "starter" on the depth chart.

Paul has been posting daily depth charts based on practices. Last week Aeris was first string and Kylin was second string. Kylin moved to first string yesterday.

Of course, I don?t think he?s posting an official depth chart or anything. I think it?s just based on observations. But something changed in practice yesterday to make him think Kylin is #1 now.

Ari Gold
08-07-2018, 11:53 AM
Outside of a few positions it doesn’t matter who is with the Ones .. all it does is gets ur name, picture and a video on the Jumbotron pre game ..
so don’t worry so much who is with ones or 2’s ..
unless you see a true freshman or redshirt frosh moving up the depth charts

msu15
08-07-2018, 12:02 PM

Criminal how poorly he was used while he was here.

deltadawg99
08-07-2018, 12:34 PM

Tony Burka was pretty good his Jr. Year. He had 850 yards, 5 TDs and averaged 24.3 yards per catch. His senior year was down because we had a true freshman at QB.

Co-Eric Riley is the one i hope Guidry doesn?t turn in to.

Dawg61
08-07-2018, 12:36 PM
Criminal how poorly he was used while he was here.

Was he the guy that dropped the wide open touchdown vs Auburn the year they had Cam and won the NC? He catches that ball Auburn doesn't beat us, doesn't win the natty and probably doesn't bring Cam back after the scandal broke so he doesn't win the Heisman either which probably means he doesn't go #1 in the draft the next year to the Panthers. Damn this could go on for awhile. He shoulda caught that game winning pass.

bluelightstar
08-07-2018, 12:53 PM
Was he the guy that dropped the wide open touchdown vs Auburn the year they had Cam and won the NC? He catches that ball Auburn doesn't beat us, doesn't win the natty and probably doesn't bring Cam back after the scandal broke so he doesn't win the Heisman either which probably means he doesn't go #1 in the draft the next year to the Panthers. Damn this could go on for awhile. He shoulda caught that game winning pass.

Think that was Leon Berry

Dawg61
08-07-2018, 02:43 PM
Think that was Leon Berry

You're right it was. Have some rep for memory skills.

justwin
09-26-2018, 09:27 PM

****ing bullshit! Put whop in the game @ slot. Sick of seeing 4 alligator arms, Mixon drops, Austin drops. Put whop in the game. He?s a immediate mismatch and he?ll fight in traffic. It?s not rocket science. He enrolled early. If you?re hell bent on throwing go with whop. Mingo & Dannis will take notice. He snatches the ball with his hands and his few opportunities in the spring and so far show he?s ready. sick of this bullshit

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4662074/5a43340b2aa6240eacbd6dbb

BhamDawg205
09-27-2018, 12:04 AM
After last Saturday, quite a few positions should be open for competition.

sandwolf
09-27-2018, 12:22 AM
****ing bullshit! Put whop in the game @ slot. Sick of seeing 4 alligator arms, Mixon drops, Austin drops. Put whop in the game. He?s a immediate mismatch and he?ll fight in traffic. It?s not rocket science. He enrolled early. If you?re hell bent on throwing go with whop. Mingo & Dannis will take notice. He snatches the ball with his hands and his few opportunities in the spring and so far show he?s ready. sick of this bullshit

Dear lord.....do you really think he would be on the bench if he was a better option than the guys that are playing? If that were the case, what could Moorhead possibly have to gain by sitting him?

Dawg61
09-27-2018, 12:36 AM

Can Whop jump 15 feet in the air to catch overthrown passes?

TUSK
09-27-2018, 03:36 AM
Can Whop jump 15 feet in the air to catch overthrown passes?

I have a few extras that can... Need one?

Pit Bull
09-27-2018, 05:28 AM
Eric Moulds was 6'2"/6'3" and just as fast as Guidry if not faster.

Behrdawg
09-27-2018, 06:55 AM
This goes to show you that game time is a total different beast from practice.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-27-2018, 08:55 AM
Dear lord.....do you really think he would be on the bench if he was a better option than the guys that are playing? If that were the case, what could Moorhead possibly have to gain by sitting him?

What an idiot you must be. You actually think the coaches know our WR core better than justwin? justwin knows far more about our players and their abilities than Getsy or Moorhead every could, you do best to remember that.

Seriously though, I get us as fans going "X payer looked good in his few snaps, I'd like to see him get more", but it takes serious hubris to say "X player that hardly ever sees the field -and hasn't done anything in a game yet- should be the starter for sure, its bull**** for him not to be already!!". Like to actually think the staff is that wrong and you know more than them seems like a level of arrogance i hope I never get

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-27-2018, 08:58 AM
This goes to show you that game time is a total different beast from practice.

Yep. I've been shocked at how little Austin Williams has shown up, for example. Guidry doesn't show u pa ton but at least when he does he's making the big plays we were promised. Williams dropped the TD against KState, and I remember 1 catch since. Mitchell, Mixon, Thomas, and Guidry have doe far more.

Irondawg
09-27-2018, 09:18 AM
Except for the back to back big drops in the 1st drive of the 2nd quarter, I think our WR have looked pretty decent.

I still think Whop is going to be great. Nobody has mentioned it, I would think that learning Joe's playbook is tough on a freshman WR b/c it's all variable routes based on defensive looks. Even though the system is new to everyone, the guys with more experience studying film probably picked up on it faster and then Whop had the late injury.

RocketDawg
09-28-2018, 07:01 PM
Except for the back to back big drops in the 1st drive of the 2nd quarter, I think our WR have looked pretty decent.

I still think Whop is going to be great. Nobody has mentioned it, I would think that learning Joe's playbook is tough on a freshman WR b/c it's all variable routes based on defensive looks. Even though the system is new to everyone, the guys with more experience studying film probably picked up on it faster and then Whop had the late injury.

Remind me Whop's real name again? And while you're at it, might as well include Dolla Bill.

biggun
09-29-2018, 04:34 PM
Our WR’s as a group are what most people thought they would be: average on a national level but below average for the SEC with Guidry being the only who has flashed the potential to one day be a “difference maker”. Whop is just a true freshman so give him time but the rest are all about on the same level, not a good thing.