PDA

View Full Version : CL Rumor: Hugh out

BeastMan
08-06-2018, 08:35 AM
From sps where a poster is saying HK is out. If they got a good sports editor who was down the middle would you at least work their digital articles back in to your rotation? Will Sammon had won me over to at least read from time to time. Haven?t read a single thing from the new guy.

Bully13
08-06-2018, 08:43 AM
Is HK the guy who looks like a homely lesbian? (not that there's anything wrong with that)

bluelightstar
08-06-2018, 08:44 AM
From sps where a poster is saying HK is out. If they got a good sports editor who was down the middle would you at least work their digital articles back in to your rotation? Will Sammon had won me over to at least read from time to time. Haven?t read a single thing from the new guy.

You're missing out - the new guy is actually good.

HereComesTheSpiral
08-06-2018, 10:35 AM
Is HK the guy who looks like a homely lesbian? (not that there's anything wrong with that)

https://lastditchcritic.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/its-pat.jpg

somebodyshotmypaw
08-06-2018, 11:04 AM
Newspapers like to blame their demise on the internet, and certainly that is a factor. But service is an even bigger factor. Unreliable delivery, poor customer service, reporters and editors who are incompetent, and biased reporting contributed as much, or more, as the rise of the internet. People still respect, and will still pay, for good investigative journalism and good service. The Clarion Ledger was a clown show during the Ole Miss NCAA investigation. Rosebowl wrote circles around them. They ignored the biggest story in Mississippi at the time. They had a horrible headline when MSU won the SEC in baseball a few years back and blamed it on a headline writer in Nashville. Nobody took accountability for the action. Somebody should have lost a job over that headline. That is the way life works in the private world. Newspapers will continue to die until they are willing to step up and hold themselves accountable for their reporting and service. The last one to leave the Clarion Ledger building should turn out the light.

msbulldog
08-06-2018, 12:13 PM
You're missing out - the new guy is actually good.

I agree.

Tbonewannabe
08-06-2018, 01:25 PM
Newspapers like to blame their demise on the internet, and certainly that is a factor. But service is an even bigger factor. Unreliable delivery, poor customer service, reporters and editors who are incompetent, and biased reporting contributed as much, or more, as the rise of the internet. People still respect, and will still pay, for good investigative journalism and good service. The Clarion Ledger was a clown show during the Ole Miss NCAA investigation. Rosebowl wrote circles around them. They ignored the biggest story in Mississippi at the time. They had a horrible headline when MSU won the SEC in baseball a few years back and blamed it on a headline writer in Nashville. Nobody took accountability for the action. Somebody should have lost a job over that headline. That is the way life works in the private world. Newspapers will continue to die until they are willing to step up and hold themselves accountable for their reporting and service. The last one to leave the Clarion Ledger building should turn out the light.

The Clarion Ledger WAS the news in MS for a long time and it seems like they haven't caught up that the internet gives people the ability to no longer need them.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-06-2018, 01:33 PM
The Clarion Ledger WAS the news in MS for a long time and it seems like they haven't caught up that the internet gives people the ability to no longer need them.

True. But I didn't quit subscribing because of the internet. I quit subscribing because I got my paper about 4 days per week (while paying for 7 days per week). I quit subscribing because their coverage got shitty. I quit subscribing because they quit covering the big stories. I'm sorry, but if you are the biggest newspaper in Ohio and you aren't covering the Urban Meyer story right now, then you are incompetent. You just are. And damn they write crap that is just factually wrong, without any accountability or corrections. I quit reading because they SUCK!

CadaverDawg
08-06-2018, 03:18 PM
Yes. If FatBurger is gone, and it's someone down the middle replacing him, I'll give them a chance again.

BeastMan
08-06-2018, 03:37 PM
Judging from his social media I see nothing he’s indicating saying he’s gone. That said, I could easily see him taking a pay raise at another publication. The CL can’t keep anyone

somebodyshotmypaw
08-06-2018, 03:44 PM
Judging from his social media I see nothing he’s indicating saying he’s gone. That said, I could easily see him taking a pay raise at another publication. The CL can’t keep anyone

You mention a pay raise at another publication. If that is true, then we all have our answer as to why newspapers are failing. In what other profession could an employee of Kellenberger's caliber get a pay raise to go to a better job? I'm in the wrong dang profession I guess. I always had to move up in the world by performing well and accomplishing stuff. You can't reward incompetence and actually turn out a good product at the same time. It can't be done.

FanninDawg
08-06-2018, 03:49 PM
I quit subscribing for the same reasons as shotpaw. If they change, I will subscribe again. My dog misses fetching it.

biggun
08-06-2018, 04:21 PM
The C-L hit a HR in June with their hire of the hottie from the University of Indiana just before the CWS! Take a look at some of her pregame and post game interviews/videos, WOW!!! Not sure if she is even completing sentences but JUST WOW!!

BeastMan
08-06-2018, 04:27 PM
You mention a pay raise at another publication. If that is true, then we all have our answer as to why newspapers are failing. In what other profession could an employee of Kellenberger's caliber get a pay raise to go to a better job? I'm in the wrong dang profession I guess. I always had to move up in the world by performing well and accomplishing stuff. You can't reward incompetence and actually turn out a good product at the same time. It can't be done.

I don’t remember where I saw this and don’t know if it’s accurate but somebody said the beat writers make $28k a year. That’s on level with unskilled labor. Im sure editor ain’t too much over that. It’s not inconceivable that he get a job that pays more in another market.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-06-2018, 05:04 PM
I don’t remember where I saw this and don’t know if it’s accurate but somebody said the beat writers make $28k a year. That’s on level with unskilled labor. Im sure editor ain’t too much over that. It’s not inconceivable that he get a job that pays more in another market.

Probably so. But better service, accountability, and professionalism would mean more customers. More customers would mean more revenue. More revenue would mean higher salaries. That's how it works. If you are the Clarion Ledger, you have to make me want to read it. I read certain blogs or websites, and contribute to them financially, because they bring the goods.

And Rick Cleveland committed a cardinal sin for the organization when he was there that summed up the entire industry and why they are failing at customer service. Rick Cleveland can suck it.

Todd4State
08-06-2018, 05:17 PM
Won't miss him. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up writing for Yancy.

Lord McBuckethead
08-06-2018, 05:20 PM
Probably so. But better service, accountability, and professionalism would mean more customers. More customers would mean more revenue. More revenue would mean higher salaries. That's how it works. If you are the Clarion Ledger, you have to make me want to read it. I read certain blogs or websites, and contribute to them financially, because they bring the goods.

And Rick Cleveland committed a cardinal sin for the organization when he was there that summed up the entire industry and why they are failing at customer service. Rick Cleveland can suck it.

What is the cardinal sin

somebodyshotmypaw
08-06-2018, 05:30 PM
I'll sum up customer service in a nutshell. If you want a successful organization, everybody must realize the goal is to keep the customer happy and spending money. So for example, let's say you work the paint aisle at Home Depot. A customer comes in and says "Where are the 2x4's". There are several answers you can give:

1. Angrily say "Screw you, this is the paint aisle. I don't handle 2x4's".
2. Politely say "not my department and I will not help you"
3. Politely say "They are on aisle 3. So if you head that way, another friendly Home Depot associate will assist you. I'll call that associate on my radio and tell him to be looking for you. If you don't get any assistance down there, come back and I will get my manager involved".

Answers 1 and 2 above will lose business for the company. Answer 3 will make the customer happy. I remember having delivery issues with my newspaper. I bumped into Rick Cleveland and mentioned it and he said in a smart ass tone "tough crap, not my problem". I said "it will be your problem when you have one less reader supporting your salary". Rick could have simply said "call Jane Doe in the distribution department and she will help you. I'll shoot her a quick email to let her know you will be contacting her. We certainly don't want to lose you as a reader and subscriber". If you are reading this Rick, you can suck it.

If you think the only difference in McDonald's and Chick-Fil-A is the food, then you haven't been paying attention.

yjnkdawg
08-06-2018, 05:47 PM
He's probably going on speaking engagements with the other Hugh.****

somebodyshotmypaw
08-06-2018, 06:01 PM
I preach to my staff every day. Politeness, friendliness, helpful, accountable. And I have fired people for the way they talked to customers or represented our company to the community. I've also given substantial raises for the ones who get it.

Goldendawg
08-06-2018, 08:31 PM
Come on, guys. I thought the title of the thread meant that Rev. Hugh Festus was out as an inspirational speaker. What a downer!** Hail State!