PDA

View Full Version : Poll: MSU?s First Team Natty

TXDawg
08-05-2018, 11:03 PM
Not sure how to make this post as a poll, but I want to know the board?s opinion on this question:

Which program will deliver State?s first National Championship?

Football

Men?s Basketball

Baseball

Women?s Basketball

Other

Todd4State
08-05-2018, 11:44 PM
I voted baseball because of the resources we put into it. I would say that Women's Basketball has a very good chance of winning a National Title though. I would actually put football third most likely.

The Federalist Engineer
08-06-2018, 01:51 AM
I think we should work the Women's Softball angle. We need to romance these big country and Hispanic girls to Starkville. As Borat or Ali G once said, girls like bad boys. We just some smooth talking frat boys, Coast Rats that look like young matthew mcconaughey or a dirk Bentley...To act like "boyfriends" to these heavy-set power hitters and pitchers that Bama, Florida, and Oklahoma seem to get.

Our Guy: "it sure will break my heart, if I don't see you in Starkville next spring, Big Hannah" must be delivered with extreme southern accent while wearing a Kenny Cheney straw hat

Big Hannah: "but my Daddy loves Bama"

Our Buy: "You're always gonna go what Daddy tells'ya?" Said with direct, intense, and daring eye contact

Big Hannah: "nah, I don't always do what my Daddy wants me to do"

Catfish our way to some prestige. Somebody has to take one for the team.

jackindabox
08-06-2018, 09:02 AM
I voted Mens Basketball, the reason is because the team this year is loaded. Potentially 5 NBA players in next years draft. Definitely 4, not sure older Weatherspoon or Peters will be high in the draft or even if the succeed in the NBA but someone will draft them. They play in a conference where I think 8 or 9 teams will enter the tournament and I think state is no worse then 3rd best in the conference. Once your in the tournament veteran leadership goes a long way and flashy young teams rarely take it to the house unless they are just insanely loaded like a couple UNC teams and maybe a duke and Kentucky in there somewhere. Baseball is a close second but it hard to win in baseball even if your the best team on the planet, lots of factors, have to sidestep maybe an ace from a team that is not that good but if you loose your out. Womens B ball is perhaps the best as far as talent vs the rest of the country but UConn is always looming I think last year was the best chance. I think potentially the football team might win one under Moorhead but I think in the next two years one of the other teams will beat him to the punch. The football team this year has an outside chance of making it to playoffs but it would be the most shocking thing ever if they took it to the house the first time they played in a game of that magnitude.

BrunswickDawg
08-06-2018, 10:44 AM
I think we should work the Women's Softball angle. We need to romance these big country and Hispanic girls to Starkville. As Borat or Ali G once said, girls like bad boys. We just some smooth talking frat boys, Coast Rats that look like young matthew mcconaughey or a dirk Bentley...To act like "boyfriends" to these heavy-set power hitters and pitchers that Bama, Florida, and Oklahoma seem to get.

Our Guy: "it sure will break my heart, if I don't see you in Starkville next spring, Big Hannah" must be delivered with extreme southern accent while wearing a Kenny Cheney straw hat

Our Buy: "You're always gonna go what Daddy tells'ya?" Said with direct, intense, and daring eye contact

Reminds me of a frat brother of mine who hooked up with a girl at a party one weekend. That Monday at chapter meeting he was chided before the whole chapter for bringing embarrassment upon us all with his actions. When he defended himself with talk about how hot her body was, another brother yells from the back "BUT, SHE HAD A MUSTACHE!!!!" That ended his spirited defense.

Cooterpoot
08-06-2018, 10:49 AM
Women's BBall- Should've won it this year.

bostondawg
08-06-2018, 05:29 PM
Baseball is the only sport we're capable of being a national powerhouse with any coach. Therefore baseball is the answer to this question. Women's bball is dependent on Vic Schafer being here.

Dawg2003
08-06-2018, 05:40 PM
I think women's basketball is the closest to actually winning one right now. Baseball could win one at some point. We have the resources, history, and recruiting ground to become elite. Right now, our baseball program has allowed too many SEC schools to pass them. I think that's because a lot of our fans and administration lived in the past and thought we didn't need to get better. Meanwhile, FL and Vandy were building elite programs and leaving us behind.

Men's tennis also has a legitimate shot next year.

yjnkdawg
08-06-2018, 05:53 PM
Women's BBall- Should've won it this year.

With the addition of Anriel Howard, I am definitely with you on this one.

DawgBone
08-06-2018, 10:34 PM
Baseball is the only sport we're capable of being a national powerhouse with any coach. Therefore baseball is the answer to this question. Women's bball is dependent on Vic Schafer being here.

I feel like Vic is here for the long run. He recently bought a decent chunk of land here in Starkville. I don’t see him investing in something he has no use for. Therefore, I voted WBB.

TXDawg
08-06-2018, 11:52 PM
For the record, I voted WBB. Baseball certainly has a shot (especially if both first round pitchers make it to campus). BUT, even with losing the 4 seniors, WBB just reloaded with some serious talent. If they don’t win it all in the next 2-3 seasons, I’ll be shocked.

ScottH
08-07-2018, 12:46 AM
Other - Men's Tennis

Captain Falcon
08-07-2018, 06:41 AM
For the record, I voted WBB. Baseball certainly has a shot (especially if both first round pitchers make it to campus). BUT, even with losing the 4 seniors, WBB just reloaded with some serious talent. If they don?t win it all in the next 2-3 seasons, I?ll be shocked.

This is the correct answer. The current freshman class (including Taylor and the two transfers) is insanely talented. If we don?t win a title this year, that group will before they are done.

smootness
08-07-2018, 09:25 AM
I voted baseball because of the resources we put into it. I would say that Women's Basketball has a very good chance of winning a National Title though. I would actually put football third most likely.

Football is the one that is closest to a 0% chance. There's just a certain level of recruiting you pretty much have to sustain to be able to win a national title in football, and we aren't close to that and likely won't ever get there. That's not a hard-and-fast rule, but it's generally true.

In men's basketball, we can do it. With Howland, we can compile enough talent to put ourselves in position to make a run. It could even happen in the next 2-3 years.

I think it's clearly:
1) Women's basketball (we've played for it 2 years in a row, that seems pretty clear)
2) Baseball (and the most likely to continue to have a chance indefinitely)
3) Other - I'm sure there's a random sport we could suddenly have a shot in
4) Men's basketball
5) Football

Homedawg
08-07-2018, 01:42 PM
Football is the one that is closest to a 0% chance. There's just a certain level of recruiting you pretty much have to sustain to be able to win a national title in football, and we aren't close to that and likely won't ever get there. That's not a hard-and-fast rule, but it's generally true.

In men's basketball, we can do it. With Howland, we can compile enough talent to put ourselves in position to make a run. It could even happen in the next 2-3 years.

I think it's clearly:
1) Women's basketball (we've played for it 2 years in a row, that seems pretty clear)
2) Baseball (and the most likely to continue to have a chance indefinitely)
3) Other - I'm sure there's a random sport we could suddenly have a shot in
4) Men's basketball
5) Football

We return our entire men's tennis team and adding one new guy. They will at least be in the hunt.

CadaverDawg
08-07-2018, 01:47 PM
1. WBB
2. Baseball
3. Other
4. MBB
5. Football

ETA: Looks like I agree with smootness (sorry, didn't read responses first)

KOdawg1
08-07-2018, 02:41 PM
As long as Vic is here, the correct answer is Women's BB.

If Vic ever leaves, then baseball becomes the correct answer.

cujo
08-08-2018, 06:32 PM
That?s a team sport. So was this a trick question?

fishwater99
08-09-2018, 12:00 PM
That?s a team sport. So was this a trick question?

This !!

Do we really count WBB?

In the Big 3 sports it's baseball..

Mutt the Hoople
08-11-2018, 11:19 AM

With women softball players, I think they're more attracted to Taylor Swift or Carrie Underwood.

Ezsoil
08-11-2018, 12:30 PM
I believe we get two this school year.....