PDA

View Full Version : Kickoff/kickoff return

Bass Chaser
08-05-2018, 10:19 AM
With the new fair catch rule on kickoffs what's your plan for kickoff and return?

Lord McBuckethead
08-05-2018, 10:11 PM
So if you fair catch it inside the 25, it goes to the 25? That is about dumb. I think if you pin them deep and they fare catch it, they should be down at most at the 20 yard line. Why do they deserve the 25? Just make all teams take the ball at the 20 yard line, no kickoffs after a TD then.

If it were me, and I didn't have a game breaker type of guy back there, I would take the ball at the 25 everytime. Limit injuries. Limit the fumbles coming out of the endzone.

Todd4State
08-05-2018, 10:18 PM
I'd make sure that I have a lot more guys that can catch a football on the field because I think a lot of teams may try to kick sky kicks to prevent returns if you have a good return guy.

Now that I kind of think about it- it may be better to have a lot of return type guys back there so that if a team tries to pop it up you have someone competent that can catch the ball and is dangerous enough to return it. I would probably put TE's on the field to function as the primary blockers instead of having an o-lineman on the field. A lot of teams probably already do that anyway.

Jack Lambert
08-06-2018, 09:13 AM
it is not going to change the strategy one bit.

RiverCityDawg
08-06-2018, 09:23 AM
I'd make sure that I have a lot more guys that can catch a football on the field because I think a lot of teams may try to kick sky kicks to prevent returns if you have a good return guy.

Now that I kind of think about it- it may be better to have a lot of return type guys back there so that if a team tries to pop it up you have someone competent that can catch the ball and is dangerous enough to return it. I would probably put TE's on the field to function as the primary blockers instead of having an o-lineman on the field. A lot of teams probably already do that anyway.

I can't remember the last time I saw an offensive lineman on kick off return. I don't think personnel will change much, you will just have teams fair catching and starting at the 25 unless it's a line drive kick off to the 5.

Bass Chaser
08-06-2018, 09:25 AM
it is not going to change the strategy one bit.

I thought it would because you wouldn't be able to pin anyone deep following a score. Why do you think the strategy wouldn't change?

smootness
08-06-2018, 09:45 AM
I thought it would because you wouldn't be able to pin anyone deep following a score. Why do you think the strategy wouldn't change?

I think it changes somewhat, but teams will still try to return it when it isn't kicked deep and risk not getting it out to the 25. You'll see more fair catches, but you'll still see returns as well.

Jack Lambert
08-06-2018, 09:48 AM

Usually you kick it out of the back of the end zone. If you kick it into the end-zone they usually run it out and normally only get it to the 20. If you kick it to the five they are going to run it to about the 25. I just don't see it changing the game all that much. Every coach ESPN has on it channel they ask them that same question how it's going to change what they do. The have all said it will change nothing.