PDA

View Full Version : Dodgeball

RocketDawg
08-04-2018, 06:17 PM
I had no idea dodgeball was a real sport, but found it listed on the TV guide for ESPNU. Watched about 30 seconds of it, and as you might expect, it's a bit different than what we played in school.

When I was in the 8th grade, we sometimes played dodgeball during PE. The school had a partially deflated leather-covered ball about the size of a soccer ball. One seam of the cover was split, so you could slide your fingers under it for a really good grip. Our PE "coach" would participate, and throw hard enough to knock you down, or at least raise a good sized welp. He'd probably be arrested nowadays.

iPat09
08-04-2018, 09:13 PM
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Activated Alpha
08-04-2018, 09:32 PM
I watched a couple games of England vs Scotland because I had nothing else to do at the fire station, but the girls on the teams were getting their faces smashed in by the hard thrown balls. No sexual innuendo intended.....

Tbonewannabe
08-04-2018, 10:01 PM
We had a volleyball that was used. Of course in 7th grade the guys who failed a year threw a little bit harder and occasionally our 12th grade student overseeing us would also play. Not very fun.

Bully13
08-04-2018, 10:03 PM
When I was in the 6th , 7th & 8th grade at Bankston in Greenwood, we played in the gym and it was a small court to the best of my memory.

It was very intimidating to say the least. The soccer balls were NOT deflated. This was back in the mid 70's. I remember standing with my back to the wall while some guy started at his wall preparing to crush us with running starts.

I remember protecting myself with my left arm but it was stiff and locked as the ball banged into my palm springing my arm. I went straight to the bathroom and threw up from having the shit kicked out of me. I went to the Dr and they did some work and put me in a brace that was wrapped up.

The next day I got chicken pox. Life sucked for my young ass for 3 days. Hard.

TUSK
08-05-2018, 02:01 AM
Back in mah day... in the mid to late 1800s, our "dogdeballs" were made of stone...

and we threw them... up hill... in the snow... both ways.

now, get the phuck off mah lawn, dammit.

Todd4State
08-05-2018, 02:28 AM
When I was in the 6th , 7th & 8th grade at Bankston in Greenwood, we played in the gym and it was a small court to the best of my memory.

It was very intimidating to say the least. The soccer balls were NOT deflated. This was back in the mid 70's. I remember standing with my back to the wall while some guy started at his wall preparing to crush us with running starts.

I remember protecting myself with my left arm but it was stiff and locked as the ball banged into my palm springing my arm. I went straight to the bathroom and threw up from having the shit kicked out of me. I went to the Dr and they did some work and put me in a brace that was wrapped up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQqkQKde_kU

Dodgeball is a game of violence, exclusion, and degredation.

Bully13
08-05-2018, 11:29 AM
LOL Todd. Awesome! Yep, I was Winston that day.

NWADAWG
08-05-2018, 12:16 PM
We played a modified version in football offseason in high school. We called it battle ball. It was just like regular dodge ball where the team on one end of the court couldn't cross the freethrow line on the other end when throwing. The difference was that if you could tackle someone, grab them by the feet or whatever and drag them across the line, they were still out for crossing the line. It was full contact dodge ball. People got lots of bruises and strawberries from being drug but no real injuries. Very intense. Very fun. Also good way to learn aggression and killler instinct.

starkvegasdawg
08-05-2018, 12:37 PM

I remember Bankston. And yes, that gym was tiny. Worst part was the very low ceiling. Had to shoot a line drive playing basketball or it'd hit the ceiling.

MagicDawg
08-05-2018, 01:16 PM
In the late 70s I would go to summer day camp at the Northside Y in Jackson. We'd stay outside all day long and once in a while the counselors would put all the campers in the middle of a clearing under the trees. They would stand on either side -- like the "end zones" -- and we would play dodge ball. They would throw through the crowd and bean some kid (or miss) and then the counselor on the other side would throw it back the other way. I won that game repeatedly. The counselors hated me and tried to pound me with that stupid ball but I would manage to dodge it.

I was never very athletic, but I was pain-averse and quick, and my only athletic ability was a superhuman talent for getting the fudge out of the way of an angrily thrown projectile. It has served me well for 23 years of marriage (as of today, in fact).

Token Bammer
08-05-2018, 11:51 PM
Saw the thread title and automatically thought, "nobody makes me bleed my own blood".