PDA

View Full Version : One gripe about MSU takeover day on SEC Network...

IMissJack
08-04-2018, 02:16 PM
Why not show the LSU game with the crowd rocking at Davis Wade, rather than the Tax Slayer bowl with 30K people? I'm glad we won that game, but it was nowhere as exciting an atmosphere as the LSU game. Also, it is nice to show the rest of the nation State beating LSU again.

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-04-2018, 02:43 PM
Do we actually get a say in what's played? Unless Cohen gets a say, the SECN would rather show a beaten up coachless mid level SEC team beat u pa mid level ACC team with a good coach and QB. The LSU game might make us look better but it also makes LSU look bad.

Personally, I'm glad it's the Taxslayer bowl. Why? Because Mullen, Grantham, and our QB were gone, the fact we won shows just hw solid the overall team is There's no "Mullen is so good at calling plays, they won't be as good this year without him" in 3rd party minds as there would be with the LSU game. People have to see our DL dominate, our backup QB play really well, and know we have a solid team even without Mullen.

TaleofTwoDogs
08-04-2018, 03:27 PM
NEWS FLASH....an MSU fan with only one gripe.....

just kidding with u.

IMissJack
08-04-2018, 03:36 PM
NEWS FLASH....an MSU fan with only one gripe.....

just kidding with u.

Today only*

Goldendawg
08-04-2018, 04:17 PM
Watching 1980 bama/State 6 -3. Next to the Kang years one of my favorite State uni's. The MSU on the maroon helmet was indeed cool and it doesn't even interlock. Bring it back at times. What a defense! Hail State!

Bully13
08-04-2018, 04:37 PM
Watching 1980 bama/State 6 -3. Next to the Kang years one of my favorite State uni's. The MSU on the maroon helmet was indeed cool and it doesn't even interlock. Bring it back at times. What a defense! Hail State!

Was there any other Defensive Effort in College Football better than State's was that afternoon? Keeping Thugh Bar out the end zone for 4 straight quarters?

Goldendawg
08-04-2018, 04:45 PM
Was there any other Defensive Effort in College Football better than State's was that afternoon? Keeping Thugh Bar out the end zone for 4 straight quarters?

IMO, this was one of the best D's in college FB. Jacobs just overthrew Joey Jones. Joey Jones, my how time flies.

Pit Bull
08-04-2018, 04:55 PM
No MSU D ever played better in history. Did sort of help that Ballard was the father of the Wishbone offense. I might be on TV....will have to keep watching now!

MStateDawg
08-04-2018, 05:37 PM
Why not show the LSU game with the crowd rocking at Davis Wade, rather than the Tax Slayer bowl with 30K people? I'm glad we won that game, but it was nowhere as exciting an atmosphere as the LSU game. Also, it is nice to show the rest of the nation State beating LSU again.

Probably didn?t want to endure 3.5hrs of Mullen talk.

Bully13
08-04-2018, 05:42 PM
No MSU D ever played better in history. Did sort of help that Ballard was the father of the Wishbone offense. I might be on TV....will have to keep watching now!

I was at the game, age 17. If you watch the Emory Bellard Show, I'm right behind the big guy running out on the field holding the brown bag concealing his felonious Kentucky Tavern. He was my Dad. He was 6-2 and I'm still my same 5'7". I'm the little guy trailing behind him. How the hell my drunk big assed Dad scaled the fence and beat me I have no idea to this day.

I remember being on the field , 5 feet from the massive pile of humanity still struggling for the "fumble" . Dude, 17 ultimate fighter bullshit. I've never seen so much snot and nutt shots in my life. I was so pumped with adrenaline I didn't know how much danger I had placed myself in as I shouted at them "Game Over , Dogs Win!!" as they continued to fight for the "fumble"

You see, there was NEVER a FUMBLE on that play. Thugh Bar had instructed his NG to knock the ball out of Kent's hand prior to the snap. Line Judges saw it and walked off and the game was over at that point. But Pandemonium continued for 4 to 5 extra minutes or so.

I didn't know any of this until I bumped into Kent's brother a few years later at a game in Vegas. Maury and I played little league ball together back in the day in Greenwood and knew each other well.

Once the cluster 17 broke up, Kent noticed my little ass immediately as I had sat next to him for an entire year in geometry class while I was a soph and he was a SR. I'll never forget him picking my little ass up in a bear hug saying "We Did it "my name" " . I still think I have back problems from that . He coulda / woulda killed me in 2 or 3 more seconds; LOL

I'll always be proud that the 1st fan Kent saw after that deal was me. Once he came to his feet, he was a big assed bad MOFO with an eye rage that was epic. My greatest sports moment in my life. Trumps being at game 7 in '86 X 10.

Dallas_Dawg
08-04-2018, 06:40 PM
RIP Kent. Great football player (should be in HOF) and even nicer person

Todd4State
08-04-2018, 07:09 PM
I was at the game, age 17. If you watch the Emory Bellard Show, I'm right behind the big guy running out on the field holding the brown bag concealing his felonious Kentucky Tavern. He was my Dad. He was 6-2 and I'm still my same 5'7". I'm the little guy trailing behind him. How the hell my drunk big assed Dad scaled the fence and beat me I have no idea to this day.

I remember being on the field , 5 feet from the massive pile of humanity still struggling for the "fumble" . Dude, 17 ultimate fighter bullshit. I've never seen so much snot and nutt shots in my life. I was so pumped with adrenaline I didn't know how much danger I had placed myself in as I shouted at them "Game Over , Dogs Win!!" as they continued to fight for the "fumble"

You see, there was NEVER a FUMBLE on that play. Thugh Bar had instructed his NG to knock the ball out of Kent's hand prior to the snap. Line Judges saw it and walked off and the game was over at that point. But Pandemonium continued for 4 to 5 extra minutes or so.

I didn't know any of this until I bumped into Kent's brother a few years later at a game in Vegas. Maury and I played little league ball together back in the day in Greenwood and knew each other well.

Once the cluster 17 broke up, Kent noticed my little ass immediately as I had sat next to him for an entire year in geometry class while I was a soph and he was a SR. I'll never forget him picking my little ass up in a bear hug saying "We Did it "my name" " . I still think I have back problems from that . He coulda / woulda killed me in 2 or 3 more seconds; LOL

I'll always be proud that the 1st fan Kent saw after that deal was me. Once he came to his feet, he was a big assed bad MOFO with an eye rage that was epic. My greatest sports moment in my life. Trumps being at game 7 in '86 X 10.

That's awesome!

Bully13
08-04-2018, 10:50 PM

I was never a close personal friend of Kent's. He and I talked on occasion during class as I was the smartest kid in Mr. Staten's geometry class and he and I sat right next to one another. The only reason I remember the teacher's name is that is was my favorite learning experience in high school. Unfortunately, I had a tough childhood (not making excuses) and ventured into the pot smoking crowd. It was not easy and the social ramifications were much worse than the weed itself back then. Kent was no dumbass, I can tell you that without a shadow of a doubt. Several people in that class flat out flunked as Mr. Staten took no shit and while a good teacher, his class was not easy for those who just couldn't deal with geometry. Kent took care of his school bidness in professional fashion. He was given no free rides, I can assure you of that.

My final exam , I made a 102 while high as a 17ing kite. One of the things I remember Kent telling me was "you are the smartest dope head I've ever known". But he said it with a smile on his face. He was always nice to me despite the crowd I hung around with. (unlike others back then). On the few times he asked me a question, he could just as easily asked someone else had he wanted to. He wasn't nice to me because I helped him a couple of times, that's just the way the man rolled. He was as genuine as it comes.

I also remember watching baseball practice and he played catcher. Watching his right arm fling the ball to 2nd base to catch a would be base robber was a thing of beauty. He had a natural tailing fastball that was so perfect the way it faded to the right. Never got to see him play hoops though. (at least no memories) but I'm pretty sure he was a decent center on the hardwood. If I had to guess, he only weighed about 210 or so back then. maybe less, not sure.

FriarsPoint
08-04-2018, 11:27 PM

If you re from Greenwood, you might know of one Thomas Obannon Fulton. Was on the team with my father under Spook Murray and the Murray Warmath. Served in the Air Force as a pilot. Rare as hens teeth, survived a mid air jet crash.

American treasure, smart as hell and funny as shit.

FriarsPoint
08-04-2018, 11:27 PM
Spook Murphy. Damn auto correct

Bully13
08-04-2018, 11:30 PM

Does he have a chance at the HOF in the future? Even though Houston first did it, the Bills perfected the hurry up and Kent was the leader of that offense. I've read so many quotes and stories from the likes of Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas , & Andre Reed about Kent and how he was the nucleus (brains and leader) of that incredible offense they produced.

After they all retired, they all often would head down to hang with Kent on his cattle farm and go duck hunting there in the Delta. It still sickens me to this day they couldn't get a win out of those 4 straight super bowl chances. I've always kinda liked the Bills not just because of Kent, but other great MSU players that played for the Bills. Remember that bad ass WR? shit, memory is failing me on dude's name. Remember our field general that whipped UT's ass in knoxville back in '86? he scored a superbowl TD as a RB.

At any rate, that bad ass WR. Anybody remember that ass whipping we put on U-Pig in Vegas in the rain? I still have his wrist band he tossed over the fence to the fans in the waning moments. I shoved a 12 year old kid to get it. yep, I was an asshole on that. But I still have the wrist band. WTF was that receiver's name?

FriarsPoint
08-04-2018, 11:33 PM
Does he have a chance at the HOF in the future? Even though Houston first did it, the Bills perfected the hurry up and Kent was the leader of that offense. I've read so many quotes and stories from the likes of Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas , & Andre Reed about Kent and how he was the nucleus (brains and leader) of that incredible offense they produced.

After they all retired, they all often would head down to hang with Kent on his cattle farm and go duck hunting there in the Delta. It still sickens me to this day they couldn't get a win out of those 4 straight super bowl chances. I've always kinda liked the Bills not just because of Kent, but other great MSU players that played for the Bills. Remember that bad ass WR? shit, memory is failing me on dude's name. Remember our field general that whipped UT's ass in knoxville back in '86? he scored a superbowl TD as a RB.

At any rate, that bad ass WR. Anybody remember that ass whipping we put on U-Pig in Vegas in the rain? I still have his wrist band he tossed over the fence to the fans in the waning moments. I shoved a 12 year old kid to get it. yep, I was an asshole on that. But I still have the wrist band. WTF was that receiver's name?

Eric Moulds and Don Smith

Bully13
08-04-2018, 11:40 PM
If you re from Greenwood, you might know of one Thomas Obannon Fulton. Was on the team with my father under Spook Murray and the Murray Warmath. Served in the Air Force as a pilot. Rare as hens teeth, survived a mid air jet crash.

American treasure, smart as hell and funny as shit.

Sorry Friar, my memory's failing me on this. I'm sure his last name has something to do with one of the main downtown roads in Greenwood that is named Fulton. I moved away after living there my 1st 17 yrs of life and I'm now 55. Thanks for sharing though. I always appreciate history stuff on the Delta.

FriarsPoint
08-04-2018, 11:41 PM
Hey, Bruce Arians has been to Friars Point. No shit. Ask him. During the Bible Bob days.

Had Tyler not lost his shit, we would be miles beyond where we are now. Anyway.............

FriarsPoint
08-04-2018, 11:46 PM
Sorry Friar, my memory's failing me on this. I'm sure his last name has something to do with one on the main downtown roads in Greenwood that is Fulton. I moved away after living there my 1st 17 yrs of life and I'm now 55. Thanks for sharing though. I always appreciate history shit on the Delta.

He is still walking around. Retired. You might remember Warner Wells Insurance Agency. Anyway.....bout the time frame you were in high school.

BTW. Only had a handful of interactions with Ken. Post locker room El Paso and a few times at Scott Field after he retired. Nice guy. Ive yet to find anyone that says different.

Bully13
08-04-2018, 11:50 PM
He is still walking around. Retired. You might remember Warner Wells Insurance Agency. Anyway.....bout the time frame you were in high school.

Most DEFINITELY remember Warner Wells Insurance Agency. Gotta ask a semi stupid question though. Was Warner a moto cross racer?

FriarsPoint
08-04-2018, 11:52 PM
Kent.

I dont like this phone.

FriarsPoint
08-04-2018, 11:53 PM
Most DEFINITELY remember Warner Wells Insurance Agency. Gotta ask a semi stupid question though. Was Warner a moto cross racer?

That was probably little Warner. Could be but I don?t remember. Big Warner ran the agency.

Bully13
08-04-2018, 11:56 PM
Hey, Bruce Arians has been to Friars Point. No shit. Ask him. During the Bible Bob days.

Had Tyler not lost his shit, we would be miles beyond where we are now. Anyway.............

You seem to have a few extra years on me. My Bob Tyler days are vague as I was very young back then. I do remember him wanting all the power or something like that back then. From what I remember, Thugh Bar 17'd him over. Thugh Bar didn't like what Bob was developing back then. I think Bamer 17'd us back then. Wasn't that the clothing discount crap or something?

FriarsPoint
08-05-2018, 12:00 AM
Check your inbox

Dallas_Dawg
08-05-2018, 03:18 AM
Kent should be in the HOF. Jim Kelly and others have said it.
You are right, he was the reason the K-Gun hurry up offense was able to work due to him being able to read a defense and communicate with the rest of the line.

Bully13
08-05-2018, 11:24 AM
I remember Jim Kelly once was talking about Kent and how many times Kent had to turn his head around and "WTF Jim?" and correct him at the line of scrimmage. Once Kent retired, Jim said that was his signal to retire too because he was not going to get used to sticking his hands under a new ass.

jumbo
08-06-2018, 01:16 PM
I kind of liked the fact that the game we picked didn't have Dan Mullen as the coach.