PDA

View Full Version : Is Hurts Going to Split Apart Bama's Team?

ShotgunDawg
08-04-2018, 12:21 PM
Interesting video

https://twitter.com/_alexbyington/status/1025789581650812929?s=21

Gotta say, I haven't been impressed with how Saban has handled this situation.

Todd4State
08-04-2018, 12:27 PM
I hope so.

Leeshouldveflanked
08-04-2018, 12:30 PM
He will get a mysterious injury and be processed. His career is basically over.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-04-2018, 12:33 PM
He will get a mysterious injury and be processed. His career is basically over.

He should leave RS & start 2yrs elsewhere. He'd put up huge #'s & be a Star in a read option offense. Mullen would kill for him.

lefty96
08-04-2018, 12:49 PM
He should leave RS & start 2yrs elsewhere. He'd put up huge #'s & be a Star in a read option offense. Mullen would kill for him.

He could borrow a gun from one of his players

1bigdawg
08-04-2018, 01:15 PM

Mullen tried hard to recruit him out of HS.

BuckyIsAB****
08-04-2018, 01:17 PM
Shocked Saban even let him talk. Hes gone. I feel for him. I thought he showed great leadership in the NC game after Tua came in.

People crowning Tua already easily forget he got lucky as hell to throw that TD that Ridley caught on accident and if it werent for a busted coverage by UGA safety they lose the game.

Im not sold on Tua.

TUSK
08-04-2018, 01:18 PM
Interesting video

Split the team? That'd be sweet. I'd love to see Bammer vs Bammer for the NC...***

Seriously, MDL has already told both Tua & Jalen to "STFU"... If Jalen thinks he can play this out in the media and come out a winner, he's mistaken...

IMO, What he needs to be working on is his down field passing accuracy/consistency and getting his degree in December...

bulldawg28
08-04-2018, 01:18 PM
Uh oh

TUSK
08-04-2018, 01:20 PM
Shocked Saban even let him talk. Hes gone. I feel for him. I thought he showed great leadership in the NC game after Tua came in.

People crowning Tua already easily forget he got lucky as hell to throw that TD that Ridley caught on accident and if it werent for a busted coverage by UGA safety they lose the game.

Im not sold on Tua.

I agree with err bit of this...

Dawg2003
08-04-2018, 01:24 PM
I doubt he'll split the team apart. The players want to go with who can win at the end of the day. They'll probably play it like Hurts is a crybaby and a distraction to the team.

Dawg2003
08-04-2018, 01:29 PM
Seriously, MDL has already told both Tua & Jalen to "STFU"... If Jalen thinks he can play this out in the media and come out a winner, he's mistaken...
Yeah, it never comes across well. Even if you have a legitimate gripe.

BuckyIsAB****
08-04-2018, 01:37 PM
I agree with err bit of this...

It is not courage to resist Bucky, it is courage to accept Bucky

TUSK
08-04-2018, 01:42 PM
It is not courage to resist Bucky, it is courage to accept Bucky

Repped.

RiverCityDawg
08-04-2018, 01:57 PM
Split the team? That'd be sweet. I'd love to see Bammer vs Bammer for the NC...***

IMO, What he needs to be working on is his down field passing accuracy/consistency and getting his degree in December...

Told them to shut up AFTER he let them talk? Very effective approach.**** He's trying to make sure Jalen stays on the team and playing it like he has his other QB battles. Problem is this situation is different, one guy is losing his job. Sounds like Hurts will just stay on the team as a malcontent and then transfer at the end of the season. He didn't have a chance in this battle, I'm not sure why he didn't transfer now so he would have 2 years to start somewhere rather than just 1 as a grad transfer.

KOdawg1
08-04-2018, 01:59 PM

Im not sold on Tua.

I'm not either. He very well may win them another NC, but his sample size (while on the biggest stage) is small. You knew what you had with Hurts

bulldawg28
08-04-2018, 02:04 PM
I doubt he'll split the team apart. The players want to go with who can win at the end of the day. They'll probably play it like Hurts is a crybaby and a distraction to the team.

Not how it works in locker rooms

bulldawg28
08-04-2018, 02:05 PM
I'd rather play against Tua than Hurts any day.

TUSK
08-04-2018, 02:09 PM
Told them to shut up AFTER he let them talk? Very effective approach.**** He's trying to make sure Jalen stays on the team and playing it like he has his other QB battles. Problem is this situation is different, one guy is losing his job. Sounds like Hurts will just stay on the team as a malcontent and then transfer at the end of the season. He didn't have a chance in this battle, I'm not sure why he didn't transfer now so he would have 2 years to start somewhere rather than just 1 as a grad transfer.

Couldn't Hurts play in up to 4 games this year, redshirt, then transfer as a Grad and have 2 years to play (He's played 2, so far)? If that's the case, I could see this working out for everyone... TUA gets a shot to win the job, if he flames out, then Hurts takes over and plays 2 more years at Bammer... If TUA kicks ass, Hurts can transfer and keep 2 years to play elsewhere...

note: I'm not savvy re: grad xfer rules...

TUSK
08-04-2018, 02:13 PM

No one outside the loop knows what Tua "is"... I just think Tua can do some things that Jalen can't (esp in the passing game)...

As a bammer, I'd much rather face Hurts than Tua.

KOdawg1

I agree.

Hurts the last 2 years: 40 TD and 10 INT. Only 1 INT last year.

Bully13
If Saban did indeed specifically instruct Tua & Hurts to STFU about this and Hurts went on about and did it anyway, Hurts will indeed be a distraction until he gone. I just don't see a guy like Saban tolerating that if that is how it all went down. And if Saban did instruct Hurts about it, then Hurts is lying about not having any discussions about the matter with a coach or coaches.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out. He's a great athlete and will resurface I bet.

TUSK
08-04-2018, 02:22 PM
If Saban did indeed specifically instruct Tua & Hurts to STFU about this and Hurts went on about and did it anyway, Hurts will indeed be a distraction until he gone. I just don't see a guy like Saban tolerating that if that is how it all went down. And if Saban did instruct Hurts about it, then Hurts is lying about not having any discussions about the matter with a coach or coaches.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out. He's a great athlete and will resurface I bet.

What MDL actually said was "don't be a distraction" which, in Sabanese, means "STFU":

https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2018/7/24/17610056/alabama-football-saban-tua-tagovailoa-jalen-hurts-qb-espn

Bully13
08-04-2018, 02:33 PM
Good stuff Tusk. Considering this came out in late July, it appears JH wasn't totally forthcoming on the video. If I played for Saban, he's the last MF I'd wanna piss off and get on the wrong side of.

No way JH wins the PR or team battle on this vs Saban. Bamer's the current natty title holder due to the boldest and smartest 1/2 time move I've ever seen a HC make in the natty. Saban knew he was going to lose if he didn't add an additional element to his offense as UGA was not going to be beat by Bamer's ground game.

LC Dawg
08-04-2018, 02:34 PM
Hurts has been a high quality guy during his Bama career. He handled winning with class and he definitely handled being replaced in the championship game with class. I enjoyed watching him play and I hate Bama. The coaches could have shown a little class and addressed the situation with him. Saban's a dick. Yeah, I know he wins but he's a dick and everyone is scared to call him on it. If he only won 8 games a year it would be widely discussed what a dick he is. I hope Hurts transfers somewhere and comes back and whips Bama's ass.

TUSK
08-04-2018, 02:44 PM
Hurts has been a high quality guy during his Bama career. He handled winning with class and he definitely handled being replaced in the championship game with class. I enjoyed watching him play and I hate Bama. The coaches could have shown a little class and addressed the situation with him. Saban's a dick. Yeah, I know he wins but he's a dick and everyone is scared to call him on it. If he only won 8 games a year it would be widely discussed what a dick he is. I hope Hurts transfers somewhere and comes back and whips Bama's ass.

Address what "situation"? I don't understand...

I agree with you re: Hurts, though... Up until now he has been the consummate team player and outstanding leader. Don't get me wrong, I like Jalen and, based on what I know, would likely give him the nod...

Lastly, a Bammer Defense would stuff an offense lead by Hurts...

Dawg2003
08-04-2018, 02:44 PM

What if the locker room turns against him for airing dirty laundry? Regardless, I don't think Saban will allow it to have an impact on the field.

TUSK
08-04-2018, 02:50 PM
What if the locker room turns against him for airing dirty laundry? Regardless, I don't think Saban will allow it to have an impact on the field.

I'm with you, on this... He'll shut that shit down... Dude is a (Napoleonic) Dictator...

http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/sporting_news/6d/91/saban-napoleon-ftr-0904-bo-hicks_18iyr6vrfzaks18fuq58b2463w.jpg?t=-1734995121&w=960&quality=70

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-04-2018, 02:56 PM
Saban hasn't filled in Hurts on the situation because his whole goal was to string Jalen along so he didn't have time to transfer. Saban knows Tua is the starter, but Hurts as a backup is a significant upgrade over the 3rd string guy. Hurts is upset because he fells like he's lost the job and never got a straight conversation about it, which is exactly how Saban wanted it to go. Jalen may as well stay this year.

IMO the team is already behind Tua. Saban will do his Jedi mind tricks and get the team to view Jalen as being in the wrong; few in the locker room will want to appear to side with Jalen. Jalen is a good kid and leader, I doubt he'll do much that would sabotage the season.

Now this could be a problem is Tua struggles... many may want t go back to Jalen, and I can't imagine a competitor like Jalen wouldn't push to take over. That's the only situation where I see a distraction happening; half the team wants Hurts to play since he'd do better, the other half and the staff want Tua to play though his struggles since he's got the higher ceiling

confucius say
08-04-2018, 03:09 PM

Thank you.

Said it a month ago, Saban better get his house in order

confucius say
08-04-2018, 03:17 PM
I'm with you, on this... He'll shut that shit down... Dude is a (Napoleonic) Dictator...

http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/sporting_news/6d/91/saban-napoleon-ftr-0904-bo-hicks_18iyr6vrfzaks18fuq58b2463w.jpg?t=-1734995121&w=960&quality=70

It wouldn't be the first time he lost a locker room.

confucius say
08-04-2018, 03:20 PM

Some of the team will. But not all. Which is the point. You have a split. Saban would have been much better off making Tua the guy and letting Jalen transfer.

TUSK
08-04-2018, 03:33 PM
Some of the team will. But not all. Which is the point. You have a split. Saban would have been much better off making Tua the guy and letting Jalen transfer.

Jalen said he doesn't want to transfer until he graduates.

Regarding your next to last post, when did Saban "lose the locker room"? I don't remember that happening at Bammer, but my memory does suck...

confucius say
08-04-2018, 04:02 PM
Jalen said he doesn't want to transfer until he graduates.

Regarding your next to last post, when did Saban "lose the locker room"? I don't remember that happening at Bammer, but my memory does suck...

In Miami for sure.

Arguably in 2004 in Red Stick, although the evidence there is only circumstantial.

Goldendawg
08-04-2018, 04:03 PM
Tusk, any chance you might redshirt Hurts, Tua, and maybe even your MDL especially this year? We may well be headed to something special this year and any help would be appreciated. Hail State!

TUSK
08-04-2018, 04:06 PM
In Miami for sure.

Arguably in 2004 in Red Stick, although the evidence there is only circumstantial.

ohhhhh... I thought ya meant at Bammer...

I think he's a different coach post NFL...

Most of the Bammer teams the last decade have been "self-policing"... I don't think he really has to get involved much with stuff like that due to the "culture" he's created.

ShotgunDawg
08-04-2018, 04:09 PM
And Hurts is a significantly better runner and bigger guy

TUSK
08-04-2018, 04:18 PM
And Hurts is a significantly better runner and bigger guy

Actually, save an inch, they are exactly the same size... Hurts has a ridiculous combination of speed & strength, though...

But Bammer doesn't need a QB that can run the ball with the talent at the RB position...

IMO, Tua's upside as a passer is much greater than what we'd lose with a running QB... Although Tua is underrated as a runner...

ShotgunDawg
08-04-2018, 04:24 PM
Actually, save an inch, they are exactly the same size... Hurts has a ridiculous combination of speed & strength, though...

But Bammer doesn't need a QB that can run the ball with the talent at the RB position...

IMO, Tua's upside as a passer is much greater than what we'd lose with a running QB... Although Tua is underrated as a runner...

We'll see. I still think Tua pushes the ball.

I'd argue that Hurts and Simms ability to run the ball hurt MSU more in 2014 and 2017, than the passing game.

bulldawg28
08-04-2018, 05:44 PM
No one outside the loop knows what Tua "is"... I just think Tua can do some things that Jalen can't (esp in the passing game)...

As a bammer, I'd much rather face Hurts than Tua.

I hope Saban believes this too.

bulldawg28
08-04-2018, 05:45 PM
We'll see. I still think Tua pushes the ball.

I'd argue that Hurts and Simms ability to run the ball hurt MSU more in 2014 and 2017, than the passing game.

This all day.

Pollodawg
08-04-2018, 07:10 PM

This is the correct answer. Two good drives doesn?t a championship caliber QB make. Hurts got em where they were. He?s basically the only reason they left DWS with a win. Well, that and refs.

Dawgowar
08-04-2018, 07:27 PM
Address what "situation"? I don't understand...

The rumor that you are also having a kicker controversy. Saban to settle with a Bitch Slapping bout between the two little guys at the 50 yard line. Can you confirm?

Lastly, a Bammer Defense would stuff an offense lead by Hurts..

Not if he is running an offense coached by Chip Kelly .

Saltydog
08-04-2018, 07:41 PM
the pro game.

bulldawg28
08-04-2018, 08:53 PM
This is the correct answer. Two good drives doesn?t a championship caliber QB make. Hurts got em where they were. He?s basically the only reason they left DWS with a win. Well, that and refs.

Its crazy how some bama fans forget this.

confucius say
08-04-2018, 10:34 PM
the pro game.

Even though the REC pays as well as the Dolphins

FriarsPoint
08-04-2018, 11:12 PM

I see a few folks agreeing with this. Go watch the replays of Auburn/Alabama Georgia/Alabama again. If you can not watch those two games with an unbiased eye and see that Tua is the better all around threat, I can?t help you. Tua wins the Auburn game if he starts.

Bully13
08-05-2018, 01:18 AM
I see a few folks agreeing with this. Go watch the replays of Auburn/Alabama Georgia/Alabama again. If you can not watch those two games with an unbiased eye and see that Tua is the better all around threat, I can?t help you. Tua wins the Auburn game if he starts.

Spoken as if you are Ten Bears.

TUSK
08-05-2018, 01:32 AM
This is all really silly, fellas... Mac Jones could go 10-2 and get bammer in the CFP...

TUSK
08-05-2018, 01:34 AM
I hope Saban believes this too.

football some more when you've the time, buddy....

You'll dig it.

bulldawg28
08-05-2018, 03:23 AM
football some more when you've the time, buddy....

You'll dig it.

I'm really going to dig it this year watching a certain fanbase melt when boywonder plays as I expected.

Dawg61
08-05-2018, 07:21 AM
He's a napoleonic dictator because he has napoleon's

Dawg61
08-05-2018, 07:24 AM

And Grantham's dumbass calling 3 straight blitzes

confucius say
08-05-2018, 09:04 AM
And Grantham's dumbass calling 3 straight blitzes

And the same blitz look before and after the 3rd down timeout on bama's last drive. Let's show it, call timeout ourselves at the snap, and then show the exact same look and blitz out of the timeout. I mean damn.

TUSK
08-05-2018, 06:09 PM
I'm really going to dig it this year watching a certain fanbase melt when boywonder plays as I expected.

You may well be correct. I dunno if TUA will live up to the lofty expectations Bammers have for him, but I do know this:

TUA's post season passing numbers will be better than 51% Comp, 4.8 YPA, a 105 Rating and 32% on 3rd Down Conv.

gravedigger
08-05-2018, 06:54 PM
Interesting video

No. Saban is great because his management style fits this very situation. Kids can do this and the rest of the team knows what?s coming. There is no doubt. Hurts will recant to the team and profess his undying love for bama or he?ll be processed without a second thought. The rest of the team knows that is true for them too.

All that will result is that saban will get whatever qb he chooses come February. I?d love to think we might gain some advantage and we could if his replacement doesn?t have a strong chin like hurts does. In the end, this will disappear like a fart in the wind.

TUSK
08-05-2018, 07:00 PM
No. Saban is great because his management style fits this very situation. Kids can do this and the rest of the team knows what?s coming. There is no doubt. Hurts will recant to the team and profess his undying love for bama or he?ll be processed without a second thought. The rest of the team knows that is true for them too.

All that will result is that saban will get whatever qb he chooses come February. I?d love to think we might gain some advantage and we could if his replacement doesn?t have a strong chin like hurts does. In the end, this will disappear like a fart in the wind.

Yup.

ShotgunDawg
08-05-2018, 07:04 PM
Yup.

Does Bama assign a "trusted poster" to have a presence on every SEC message board so that the honor of Bama can be defended?

ShotgunDawg
08-05-2018, 07:04 PM

True. You never know though.

craigmid
08-05-2018, 07:18 PM
Does Bama assign a "trusted poster" to have a presence on every SEC message board so that the honor of Bama can be defended?

Lol..

CadaverDawg
08-05-2018, 07:44 PM
Bama's schedule is such that I could QB them to the CFP, and I couldn't run a 5 yard dash without passing out right now.

Us and Auburn are the only tests, and Bama gets both at home.

CadaverDawg
08-05-2018, 07:50 PM
I will say this though, Due to the weak schedule I don't think Bama makes the CFP with anything worse than 1 loss and a SEC Championship Win. Undefeated regular season but losing the SEC Championship will not still get them in with this schedule

TUSK
08-05-2018, 09:53 PM
Cadaver, I think you’re dead on...

I think 12-1 with an SECC gets em in for certain. If they lose the SECCG, they’d have have a margin of victory average of 30 and a close loss to an undefeated UGA, IMO.

dawgoneyall
08-05-2018, 09:55 PM
Yes.

Token Bammer
08-05-2018, 11:21 PM
Hurts will never play a down of QB in the NFL. Tua is likely a 1st or 2nd round pick. The talent difference is substantial between the two. Hurts is a great athlete playing quarterback and dang good college football player. Tua is a great quarterback who also happens to be a great athlete.

Gary Danielson (guy drives me insane but knows football) recently said in an interview that Hurts needs to learn how to play the position of quarterback.

Hurts makes Alabama one dimensional and handicaps the talent around him because he lacks the ability to distribute the ball. Tua makes the players around him better because he's not a running back, he's a quarterback. Every good/great defense Jalen has faced since the 2016 LSU game, he has struggled mightily.

Hurts feelings got hurt because a better player took his position. That's all this is, sour grapes. It's nothing personal, but Jalen and his family has turned a position battle personal and public. If Jalen had any chance to beat out Tua, chance probably just left the building. It's going to be difficult for Saban and the team to rally around Hurts moving forward. Jmo

I wonder how Jalen and his family took it when they were taking Blake Barnett's job back in 2016?

TUSK
08-05-2018, 11:28 PM
Hurts will never play a down of QB in the NFL. Tua is likely a 1st or 2nd round pick. The talent difference is substantial between the two. Hurts is a great athlete playing quarterback and dang good college football player. Tua is a great quarterback who also happens to be a great athlete.

Gary Danielson (guy drives me insane but knows football) recently said in an interview that Hurts needs to learn how to play the position of quarterback.

Hurts makes Alabama one dimensional and handicaps the talent around him because he lacks the ability to distribute the ball. Tua makes the players around him better because he's not a running back, he's a quarterback. Every good/great defense Jalen has faced since the 2016 LSU game, he has struggled mightily.

Hurts feelings got hurt because a better player took his position. That's all this is, sour grapes. It's nothing personal, but Jalen and his family has turned a position battle personal and public. If Jalen had any chance to beat out Tua, chance probably just left the building. It's going to be difficult for Saban and the team to rally around Hurts moving forward. Jmo

I wonder how Jalen and his family took it when they were taking Blake Barnett's job back in 2016?

Oh, snap. [mic drop]

I’ve been wondering where the (other) “elephant in the room” was...

sandwolf
08-05-2018, 11:45 PM

And we have been blessed with 2 such posters....

bulldawg28
08-06-2018, 05:07 AM
And we have been blessed with 2 such posters....

They all think alike

bulldawg28
08-06-2018, 05:17 AM

Other than pure homerism what makes you think Tua is drafted at all let alone 1st or 2nd round? He hasn't played 1 full game as starter. In case you didn't realize it. BAMA DOESN'T PRODUCE NFL DRAFTABLE OR STARTING QB'S IN THE NFL. The dude is 5'10 he's probably not playing in the NFL.

dawgday166
08-06-2018, 06:34 AM
Other than pure homerism what makes you think Tua is drafted at all let alone 1st or 2nd round?He hasn't played 1 full game as starter. In case you didn't realize it. BAMA DOESN'T PRODUCE NFL DRAFTABLE OR STARTING QB'S IN THE NFL. The dude is 5'10 he's probably not playing in the NFL.

I was SMH on this too. Off of 1 half of football he seems to be better than Heath Shuler, Ryan Leaf, and even Peyton Manning. Of course he do play for the greatest QB developer of all time in Saban ***

I figure once he throws a few more picks and Saban jumps all in his ass like he's a DLineman, we'll see what that does to his confidence.

Token Bammer
08-06-2018, 09:24 AM
Other than pure homerism what makes you think Tua is drafted at all let alone 1st or 2nd round? He hasn't played 1 full game as starter. In case you didn't realize it. BAMA DOESN'T PRODUCE NFL DRAFTABLE OR STARTING QB'S IN THE NFL. The dude is 5'10 he's probably not playing in the NFL.

His talent is off the charts. He's the most gifted quarterback Alabama has had since Namath. Scouts and those who predict this sort of thing are already disagreeing with you about him not playing in the NFL, but we'll all see soon enough and know for sure. If he stays healthy, If he plays most of the next two season, he'll go 1st round (this is my prediction) and draw comparisons to guys like Russell Wilson with his pocket presence, leadership, and ability to make plays on the run.

McCarron got drafted (5th), and McElroy got drafted (7th). Tua is much more gifted than either. That's tough to say with such limited experience because AJ was the best QB UA had in decades, but it's true.

Tua is 6'0".

The only reason Tua didn't start earlier was because Saban thought he could win with Jalen simply not turning the ball over. Jalen was and is great with ball control, and Saban is more than content winning that way. Everyone at UA knew what they had with Tua, but Tua was a freshman and freshman make mistakes. Tua is no longer a freshman, and if you didn't notice, even as freshman, the team came alive and believed they could beat UGA as soon as Saban put him in the game.

Here are some Heisman odds from Vegasinsider...

Bryce Love (Stanford) 8/1
Jonathan Taylor (Wisconsin) 8/1
Tua Tagovailoa (Alabama) 8/1
Jake Fromm (Georgia) 10/1
Khalil Tate (Arizona) 16/1
Shea Patterson (Michigan) 16/1
Trevor Lawrence (Clemson) 16/1
Kyler Murray (Oklahoma) 16/1
JK Dobbins (Ohio State) 20/1
Will Grier (West Virginia) 20/1
Trace McSorley (Penn State) 20/1
Jarrett Stidham (Auburn) 25/1
Cam Akers (Florida State) 25/1
Rodney Anderson (Oklahoma) 25/1
Dwayne Haskins (Ohio State) 25/1
AJ Dillon (Boston College) 33/1
Jake Browning (Washington) 33/1

Tua isn't going away.

Dawg61
08-06-2018, 10:17 AM
I'm going to enjoy Tua being a bust

RocketCityDawg
08-06-2018, 10:25 AM
I'm going to enjoy Tua being a bust

Same here. Jeremy Johnson had pretty good Heisman odds too a few years ago.

BrunswickDawg
08-06-2018, 10:32 AM
His talent is off the charts. He's the most gifted quarterback Alabama has had since Namath. Scouts and those who predict this sort of thing are already disagreeing with you about him not playing in the NFL, but we'll all see soon enough and know for sure. If he stays healthy, If he plays most of the next two season, he'll go 1st round (this is my prediction) and draw comparisons to guys like Russell Wilson with his pocket presence, leadership, and ability to make plays on the run.

McCarron got drafted (5th), and McElroy got drafted (7th). Tua is much more gifted than either. That's tough to say with such limited experience because AJ was the best QB UA had in decades, but it's true.

Tua is 6'0".

The only reason Tua didn't start earlier was because Saban thought he could win with Jalen simply not turning the ball over. Jalen was and is great with ball control, and Saban is more than content winning that way. Everyone at UA knew what they had with Tua, but Tua was a freshman and freshman make mistakes. Tua is no longer a freshman, and if you didn't notice, even as freshman, the team came alive and believed they could beat UGA as soon as Saban put him in the game.

Tua isn't going away.

I just don't see it. And using McCarron and McElroy as your examples of "NFL caliber" QBs is laughable. And trust us - if MSU fans know one thing from years of observation it is QBs who can't cut it.

McCarron, McElroy, Hurts, were all the same QB. Hurts has more speed and running ability. That's the only difference.

Tua benefited in the NC against UGA by being a wild card. Bama is banking on a RAT becoming a star. His stats in that game were comparable to Keyton Thompson's in the Egg Bowl - which while good for the situation - are not indicative of a QB who is ready to win in the grind of the SEC. Since he did it on a big stage in a big game he is getting unwarranted hype. 8/1 Heisman odds are a joke.

BrunswickDawg
08-06-2018, 10:36 AM
Same here. Jeremy Johnson had pretty good Heisman odds too a few years ago.

LOL - yeah, they were 10/1 odds https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/07/jeremy_johnsons_heisman_trophy.html

Higher than the 3 finalists that year - McCaffrey (no odds listed), Watson (16/1), and Henry (16/1)

Token Bammer
08-06-2018, 10:45 AM
I just don't see it. And using McCarron and McElroy as your examples of "NFL caliber" QBs is laughable. And trust us - if MSU fans know one thing from years of observation it is QBs who can't cut it.

McCarron, McElroy, Hurts, were all the same QB. Hurts has more speed and running ability. That's the only difference.

Tua benefited in the NC against UGA by being a wild card. Bama is banking on a RAT becoming a star. His stats in that game were comparable to Keyton Thompson's in the Egg Bowl - which while good for the situation - are not indicative of a QB who is ready to win in the grind of the SEC. Since he did it on a big stage in a big game he is getting unwarranted hype. 8/1 Heisman odds are a joke.

McCarron is and was much better than both McElroy and Hurts at playing Quarterback. There is a big difference between he and the others. McCarron is going into his 5th season and competing for a starting role. That's NFL caliber. It's obviously not Hall of Fame, but 2/3 of the QBs in the NFL are backups. Hurts can't make a read to his #2 receiver, and Hurts doesn't throw with the accuracy of AJ either. McCarron is a much better Quarterback. Hurts is an athlete playing QB.

Only reason I used them as my example was because they played for UA and both got drafted. It was said Tua will NOT play in the NFL. Baring injury, that's just wrong.

Tua made his stats with one half of football and 1 throw in overtime against the #1 team in the country.

You may think his Heisman odds are a joke, and I can understand why with his limited sample, but to deny this guy's talent is hard to do.

BrunswickDawg
08-06-2018, 11:04 AM
McCarron is and was much better than both McElroy and Hurts at playing Quarterback. There is a big difference between he and the others. McCarron is going into his 5th season and competing for a starting role. That's NFL caliber. It's obviously not Hall of Fame, but 2/3 of the QBs in the NFL are backups. Hurts can't make a read to his #2 receiver, and Hurts doesn't throw with the accuracy of AJ either. McCarron is a much better Quarterback. Hurts is an athlete playing QB.

Only reason I used them as my example was because they played for UA and both got drafted. It was said Tua will NOT play in the NFL. Baring injury, that's just wrong.

Tua made his stats with one half of football and 1 throw in overtime against the #1 team in the country.

You may think his Heisman odds are a joke, and I can understand why with his limited sample, but to deny this guy's talent is hard to do.

AJ MCCARRON COULDN't WIN THE BENGALS QB JOB

Token Bammer
08-06-2018, 11:09 AM
AJ MCCARRON COULDN't WIN THE BENGALS QB JOB

That's not the point but ok.

smootness
08-06-2018, 11:28 AM
8/1 Heisman odds are a joke.

Those odds are simply a reflection of the hype, not a driver of it. He has tons of hype, therefore lots of people want to put money on him to win the Heisman, therefore the oddsmakers adjust the odds accordingly.

Token Bammer
08-06-2018, 11:37 AM
Those odds are simply a reflection of the hype, not a driver of it. He has tons of hype, therefore lots of people want to put money on him to win the Heisman, therefore the oddsmakers adjust the odds accordingly.

I agree, but it still says a lot of people see his talent. He's no Jeremy Johnson. Jeremy Johnson's hype was created by his own head coach and barners believing Gus' every word. Tua's hype has been created by his performance on the field. Not just in the NCG, but in the 7 other games he appeared in he made plays every time out.

TUSK
08-06-2018, 11:47 AM

You don't know what you are talking about.... (no offense intended.)

Additionally, I don't understand why people (these days) ask a question and then get offended/outraged/triggered when someone with more knowledge/insight answers said question...

TUSK
08-06-2018, 12:01 PM
"I'm most looking forward to see how dominant Alabama will be with Tua (Tagovailoa) at quarterback," Herbstreit said. "Bama has never had this kind of QB, and he ? along with their typical outstanding defense and special teams ? will make this Bama team maybe the best Saban has had yet!" - Kirk Herbstreit

Gary Danielson article - https://bamahammer.com/2018/07/19/alabama-football-unlockling-key-tide-qb-situation/

Mel Kiper - "He gives defenses more to worry about. He's able to give Alabama more of an opportunity to expand the playbook...with Jalen, there is some limitations"@MelKiperESPN says Tua Tagovailoa gives Alabama the best chance to win another title.

I dunno if ANY of these cats are correct... and I dunno if Tua will be a 1st round pick, or not... but, should he win the starting gig, I'd be willing to bet his post season metrics are better than Jalen Hurts...

smootness
08-06-2018, 12:37 PM
I agree, but it still says a lot of people see his talent. He's no Jeremy Johnson. Jeremy Johnson's hype was created by his own head coach and barners believing Gus' every word. Tua's hype has been created by his performance on the field. Not just in the NCG, but in the 7 other games he appeared in he made plays every time out.

Not necessarily. I believe Tua is extremely talented, but these odds mean nothing. They just mean he has a lot of hype, that's it.

BrunswickDawg
08-06-2018, 12:39 PM
"I'm most looking forward to see how dominant Alabama will be with Tua (Tagovailoa) at quarterback," Herbstreit said. "Bama has never had this kind of QB, and he ? along with their typical outstanding defense and special teams ? will make this Bama team maybe the best Saban has had yet!" - Kirk Herbstreit

Gary Danielson article - https://bamahammer.com/2018/07/19/alabama-football-unlockling-key-tide-qb-situation/

Mel Kiper - "He gives defenses more to worry about. He's able to give Alabama more of an opportunity to expand the playbook...with Jalen, there is some limitations"@MelKiperESPN says Tua Tagovailoa gives Alabama the best chance to win another title.

I dunno if ANY of these cats are correct... and I dunno if Tua will be a 1st round pick, or not... but, should he win the starting gig, I'd be willing to bet his post season metrics are better than Jalen Hurts...

Quotes about Jeremy Johnson -
"Is he the next Cam Newton?" - https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2544262-auburn-qb-jeremy-johnson-the-next-cam-newton

"The hype is real" - http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/sec-media-days-jeremy-johnson-auburn-quarterback-gus-malzahn-cam-newton/m1hu5slyurl31j319hntm6lgq

"The one thing I'm not concerned at all about is Jeremy Johnson at Auburn. I think Jeremy is a tremendous talent. Tongue and cheek with (Gus Malzahn) last year after practice after watching Jeremy play a little bit I sort of jokingly said to him 'Are you sure you're playing the right guy?' I think Jeremy is going to have a tremendous season for Auburn." - Rece Davis, ESPN - https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/07/espn_rece_davis_auburn_alabama.html

Let's look at Jeremy's stats over 2 seasons prior to "THE HYPE"

2013 - 29 of 41 (70.7%) for 422 yards, 6 TDs, 2 INTs
2014 - 28 of 37 (75.7%) for 436 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT
total - 57 of 78 (73%) for 858 yards, 9 TDs, 2 INTs

Tua to date: 49 of 77 (64%) for 636 yards, 11 TDs, 2 INTs

The only difference is his performance as a RAT in a National Championship game.

TUSK
08-06-2018, 12:51 PM
"Is he the next Cam Newton?" - https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2544262-auburn-qb-jeremy-johnson-the-next-cam-newton

"The hype is real" - http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/sec-media-days-jeremy-johnson-auburn-quarterback-gus-malzahn-cam-newton/m1hu5slyurl31j319hntm6lgq

"The one thing I'm not concerned at all about is Jeremy Johnson at Auburn. I think Jeremy is a tremendous talent. Tongue and cheek with (Gus Malzahn) last year after practice after watching Jeremy play a little bit I sort of jokingly said to him 'Are you sure you're playing the right guy?' I think Jeremy is going to have a tremendous season for Auburn." - Rece Davis, ESPN - https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/07/espn_rece_davis_auburn_alabama.html

The only difference is his performance as a RAT in a National Championship game.

I'll bet you a hundo that Tua ends up with better NCAA numbers than JJ...

I'll bet you another hundo that Tua has better post season numbers than Hurts (if he wins the gig)...

confucius say
08-06-2018, 01:32 PM

I'll bet you another hundo that Tua has better post season numbers than Hurts (if he wins the gig)...

The only stat that matters for Tua is 26-2 with back to back natty appearances. Can he do that? We'll see. But if he can't, Saban has screwed up.

Token Bammer
08-06-2018, 01:39 PM

There are many differences between the two. Stats are only a piece of the whole story. 26 days to football. We all find out soon.

Ironically....

J. Johnson vs Louisville 9/5/15

11-21, 137 YDS, 1 TD, 3 INT

Tua vs Louisville 9/1/18

Remains to be seen.

Token Bammer
08-06-2018, 01:43 PM
The only stat that matters for Tua is 26-2 with back to back natty appearances. Can he do that? We'll see. But if he can't, Saban has screwed up.

It's not the only stat the matters. How can anyone say that after Jalen went 3-8 for 21 yards and getting him is butt handed to him by the UGA defense, and then having to get bailed out by a true freshman who never started a game?

Hurts was the QB who got us there, but we won it with Tua playing QB. Honestly, we probably wouldn't have scored if Hurts remained in the game.

MSUDAWGFAN
08-06-2018, 02:12 PM

Additionally, I don't understand why people (these days) ask a question and then get offended/outraged/triggered when someone with more knowledge/insight answers said question...

Who really knows what they are talking about? I mean, Tom Brady, the best QB in NFL history was drafted in the 6th round. That means that EVERY team in the NFL missed on him, including the Patriots. Dak Prescott was drafted in the 5th round. Yep, even the Cowboys missed on him too. Looking at it from another viewpoint, Ryan Leaf was drafted in the first round and is much considered one of the biggest busts in NFL history. Others drafted in the first round include Troy Smith, Jamarcus Russell, Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Heath Shuler, Rick Mirer, David Klingler.... I could name many others. These guys that made these draft picks have likely watched every second of said prospect's time on the field while in college, interviewed them, had them take tests, physicals, etc. And they still made these mistakes. Does Token have more knowledge/insight than than these guys making these picks? Asking for a friend.

MSUDAWGFAN
08-06-2018, 02:14 PM

I'm not asking for this, so don't get this confused - would you bet a hundo that Tua gets ever becomes a full time starter at QB in the NFL?

Token Bammer
08-06-2018, 02:33 PM
Who really knows what they are talking about? I mean, Tom Brady, the best QB in NFL history was drafted in the 6th round. That means that EVERY team in the NFL missed on him, including the Patriots. Dak Prescott was drafted in the 5th round. Yep, even the Cowboys missed on him too. Looking at it from another viewpoint, Ryan Leaf was drafted in the first round and is much considered one of the biggest busts in NFL history. Others drafted in the first round include Troy Smith, Jamarcus Russell, Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Heath Shuler, Rick Mirer, David Klingler.... I could name many others. These guys that made these draft picks have likely watched every second of said prospect's time on the field while in college, interviewed them, had them take tests, physicals, etc. And they still made these mistakes. Does Token have more knowledge/insight than than these guys making these picks? Asking for a friend.

No, I don't know more. My prediction of Tua being a 1st rounder is only a prediction, or a guess based on what I have seen and believe.

However, all those guys you listed were NFL players. Some turned out great, and others busts, but they all made millions and made it to the league. Tua will be among them (NFL) whether in the 1st round or 5th unless he gets injured. That much is easy to see. Tua easliy has the ability to be drafted and make it to the league. Projecting a draft pick and projecting NFL success is a lot different, as you've noted.

MSUDAWGFAN
08-06-2018, 03:01 PM
No, I don't know more. My prediction of Tua being a 1st rounder is only a prediction, or a guess based on what I have seen and believe.

However, all those guys you listed were NFL players. Some turned out great, and others busts, but they all made millions and made it to the league. Tua will be among them (NFL) whether in the 1st round or 5th unless he gets injured. That much is easy to see. Tua easliy has the ability to be drafted and make it to the league. Projecting a draft pick and projecting NFL success is a lot different, as you've noted.

My question was for Tusk, who had said you had more insight/knowledge than the other posters that said Tua will be a bust. (Eidted to say maybe not a bust - just maybe not as good as Hurts). Look, I've never seen him take one single snap, so I have no opinion. What I do know is that Saban has never had a guy go on to be a full time NFL starter. The best QB he has ever had is riding the bench for the Bengals. Hey, I'm not criticizing because I would trade places with him in a heartbeat, but NFL success he is not. The other guy, McElroy he inherited. And he has signed at least a 4 star QB every year he has been at Alabama. Those are facts. What makes Tusk think you are more knowledgable than these other posters? Because Tua plays for Alabama?

I remember just before Jeremy Johnson's season started, I called in to an XM radio station. They had Butch Davis as a guest that day. The topic was "Which team has something to prove everybody wrong and which team has to prove everybody right." I called in and said Auburn had to prove everybody right because they are predicted to win the SEC, #3 or some nonsense like that. I listed that they had lost a few receivers, a running back, several Olinemen, and their QB. When Butch Davis (side note - is not a coach at Auburn, did not receive a degree from Auburn, and to my knowledge doesn't own a barn) commented he said (paraphrasing) "You are exactly right about all of their personnel losses, but I can assure you this - Gus Malzahn might worry about some things but he doesn't lose one second of sleep over Jeremy Johnson at QB. Most people think he will be an upgrade and I agree."

It's much easier to come in and play well when you are the backup and the DCs haven't been studying film countless hours to find ways to stop you. Exhibit A: Jeremy Johnson. As far as Tua goes - you may be right. And some NFL team may draft him. Or he may flame out. My question was to point out that really nobody knows. There's several examples of guys coming in as college QBs and they were going to be what you are saying Tua will be. Another one of those was Brock Berlin who had to transfer out of Florida to Miami. Nobody knew what Rex Grossman would turn out to be.

All that being said - I will repeat - I haven't seen him take one snap so I have no opinion. He may end up being better than every QB in SEC history. Or he may be the next Jeremy Johnson.

Token Bammer
08-06-2018, 03:07 PM
My question was for Tusk, who had said you had more insight/knowledge than the other posters that said Tua will be a bust. Look, I've never seen him take one single snap, so I have no opinion. What I do know is that Saban has never had a guy go on to be a full time NFL starter. The best QB he has ever had is riding the bench for the Bengals. Hey, I'm not criticizing because I would trade places with him in a heartbeat, but NFL success he is not. The other guy, McElroy he inherited. Those are facts.

I remember just before Jeremy Johnson's season started, I called in to an XM radio station. They had Butch Davis as a guest that day. The topic was "Which team has something to prove everybody wrong and which team has to prove everybody right." I called in and said Auburn had to prove everybody right because they are predicted to win the SEC, #3 or some nonsense like that. I listed that they had lost a few receivers, a running back, several Olinemen, and their QB. When Butch Davis (side note - is not a coach at Auburn, did not receive a degree from Auburn, and to my knowledge doesn't own a barn) commented he said (paraphrasing) "You are exactly right about all of their personnel losses, but I can assure you this - Gus Malzahn might worry about some things but he doesn't lose one second of sleep over Jeremy Johnson at QB. Most people think he will be an upgrade and I agree."

It's much easier to come in and play well when you are the backup and the DCs haven't been studying film countless hours to find ways to stop you. Exhibit A: Jeremy Johnson. As far as Tua goes - you may be right. And some NFL team may draft him. Or he may flame out. My question was to point out that really nobody knows. There's several examples of guys coming in as college QBs and they were going to be what you are saying Tua will be. Another one of those was Brock Berlin who had to transfer out of Florida to Miami. Nobody knew what Rex Grossman would turn out to be.

All that being said - I will repeat - I haven't seen him take one snap so I have no opinion. He may end up being better than every QB in SEC history. Or he may be the next Jeremy Johnson.

Good read and thoughts. Thanks for the post.

Yep. Proof will be in the pudding. 26 days to football.

Jack Lambert
08-06-2018, 03:57 PM
It's not the only stat the matters. How can anyone say that after Jalen went 3-8 for 21 yards and getting him is butt handed to him by the UGA defense, and then having to get bailed out by a true freshman who never started a game?

Hurts was the QB who got us there, but we won it with Tua playing QB. Honestly, we probably wouldn't have scored if Hurts remained in the game.

How do you know Hurt would not have brought you back?

Token Bammer
08-06-2018, 04:24 PM
How do you know Hurt would not have brought you back?

3/8, 21 yards and zero points is enough of a sample to know UGA was too much for Jalen. What if Jalen played well in the 1st half? What if Tua didn't bring us back? There's no end to the "if" game. But we do know Jalen struggled against every quality defense he faced from November 2016 thru January 2018.

Jack Lambert
08-06-2018, 04:28 PM
3/8, 21 yards and zero points is enough of a sample to know UGA was too much for Jalen. What if Jalen played well in the 1st half? What if Tua didn't bring us back? There's no end to the "if" game. But we do know Jalen struggled against every quality defense he faced from November 2016 thru January 2018.

HOw many times have you seen someone struggle the first half then come out and light them up the second half? A Bunch! The fact is we don't know what the out come would be. Your guessing.

bulldawg28
08-06-2018, 04:32 PM

Tua is 6'0".

Tua isn't going away.

Lmao... you serious doc?

bulldawg28
08-06-2018, 04:35 PM

Really, I was not offended. Your a good poster but this Tua hype is beyond laughable.

Ezsoil
08-06-2018, 04:39 PM

Im not sold on Tua.

This^^^^^^^^

Ezsoil
08-06-2018, 04:52 PM
Correct me if I?m wrong....didn?t some obscure third string QB come on the scene beat a top ranked Alabama in a semifinal game, then lead Ohio State to a national title, only to flame out? I saw him projected as a first round pick by these same geniuses....where is he now?

bulldawg28
08-06-2018, 06:22 PM
Correct me if I?m wrong....didn?t some obscure third string QB come on the scene beat a top ranked Alabama in a semifinal game, then lead Ohio State to a national title, only to flame out? I saw him projected as a first round pick by these same geniuses....where is he now?

He's buried on the Chargers roster

Goldendawg
08-06-2018, 08:19 PM

Dang Tusk, we already have to concede the SEC West, the SEC Championship, and the National title to you guys every year before the 1st game is even played. Now we have to also concede the Heisman to a bama QB before the 1st snap! Can we not play for something that is yet to be determined?*** Fitz for Heisman! Hail State, West Champs, 2018!

TUSK
08-06-2018, 08:57 PM
Really, I was not offended. Your a good poster but this Tua hype is beyond laughable.

Daddio, we cool and I completely agree that the Heisman/Tua talk is waaaay premature.

My ?end all/be all? point is that I believe Tua will make Bammer more lethal on offense.

That being said, Hurts could win the thing, as well. Thanks for the exchange!

TUSK
08-06-2018, 09:06 PM
Dang Tusk, we already have to concede the SEC West, the SEC Championship, and the National title to you guys every year before the 1st game is even played. Now we have to also concede the Heisman to a bama QB before the 1st snap! Can we not play for something that is yet to be determined?*** Fitz for Heisman! Hail State, West Champs, 2018!

Somebody is ready for opening weekend! Love it. Me too!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Goldendawg again.

Token Bammer
08-06-2018, 10:08 PM
Daddio, we cool and I completely agree that the Heisman/Tua talk is waaaay premature.

My ?end all/be all? point is that I believe Tua will make Bammer more lethal on offense.

That being said, Hurts could win the thing, as well. Thanks for the exchange!

I know you know this, but it's just a prediction. Much better chance of Tua not winning the Heisman than winning it. I honestly don't care if he wins the award or not, I was just stating he's caught the eye of many.
It's still the off-season, isn't that what the off-season is for? Speculation and prediction? Well, I'm either going to be right or wrong, correct? It's going to be fun watching either way. Is it arrogant to say I know Tua is going to light it up and I'm not really doubting that at all? He's just good.

Tua has 2 or 3 seasons until he's drafted. In that time, I predict he'll become 1st round worthy.

I don't go around hyping players, so this is new for me, but there's not a doubt in my mind how special this kid is. He's the most talented I've ever seen in person to play for Alabama. No doubt about it.

Tebow didn't start in 2006 as a freshman, but played a role. Won the Heisman in 2007, a championship 2008, and was drafted after the 2009 season. Many knew Tebow was special before he ever took over as starter in 2007. I believe Tua is similar. I'm not projecting Tua to win the Heisman, but I am saying he's that type of player.

The Alabama offense is going to look a whole lot different with this kid leading the troops then it ever did with Jalen. Good thing too, because we lost a lot on defense and are inexperienced at some positions and thin at others.

I've said my piece on Tua. If I'm wrong I'll never live it down. Lol. I'm ok with that.