PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Football opens big in the CFL......

Pit Bull
08-03-2018, 09:40 PM
Throws 4 interceptions in the first half as his team, Toronto, falls behind Hamilton 38-3 at the half. Johnny is all about setting records you know!

TheRef
08-03-2018, 09:43 PM
And he was playing Masoli who had a decent game on his part.

RocketDawg
08-03-2018, 09:56 PM
Are CFL games televised? I can't get used to their oversized field and only 3 downs to get a first. 110 yards is about 100 meters though, so that could be the reason the field is longer and wider. I suppose they want to have something different, but they'd probably get more US viewers if used "normal" rules. And they should talk in Fahrenheit, not Celsius ....

tireddawg
08-03-2018, 09:57 PM
You might wanna just stick to the NFL

RocketDawg
08-03-2018, 09:58 PM
You might wanna just stick to the NFL

I think so.

parabrave
08-03-2018, 10:01 PM
Are CFL games televised? I can't get used to their oversized field and only 3 downs to get a first. 110 yards is about 100 meters though, so that could be the reason the field is longer and wider. I suppose they want to have something different, but they'd probably get more US viewers if used "normal" rules. And they should talk in Fahrenheit, not Celsius ....

ESPN 2

Bully13
08-04-2018, 02:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDDJvC2CGaU

Bully13
08-04-2018, 02:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSTWw6-ueIs

somebodyshotmypaw
08-04-2018, 07:56 AM

100 meters? If God wanted us to use the metric system, we would have been born with meters on the end of our legs instead of feet. And we would have 10 toes instead of 12.

Bonus points for anyone who knows what MSU professor used to say that.

Quaoarsking
08-04-2018, 01:26 PM
I feel the need to point out that Canada didn't switch to the metric system until the 1970s and the field has been 110 yards for over a century. The similarity between 110 yards and 100 meters is a coincidence in the context of Canadian football.

RocketDawg
08-04-2018, 01:47 PM
100 meters? If God wanted us to use the metric system, we would have been born with meters on the end of our legs instead of feet. And we would have 10 toes instead of 12.

Bonus points for anyone who knows what MSU professor used to say that.

We have 12 toes? I have no idea who used to say that. Almost certainly after my time there.

RocketDawg
08-04-2018, 01:50 PM
I feel the need to point out that Canada didn't switch to the metric system until the 1970s and the field has been 110 yards for over a century. The similarity between 110 yards and 100 meters is a coincidence in the context of Canadian football.

We, the US, tried to covert to the metric system around that time but it never did take. Here, and maybe everywhere, they even had speed limits and distances on highway signs in kilometers. They've since been removed. People, including American scientists and other technical folks, just don't seem to be able to think in the metric system. Supposedly, one of the Mars missions failed because of mixed units.

Goldendawg
08-04-2018, 04:39 PM
We, the US, tried to covert to the metric system around that time but it never did take. Here, and maybe everywhere, they even had speed limits and distances on highway signs in kilometers. They've since been removed. People, including American scientists and other technical folks, just don't seem to be able to think in the metric system. Supposedly, one of the Mars missions failed because of mixed units.

The gas pumps also showed gallons/liters of gas at first and tried to go to liters only which people really hated. Only metric ever used and understood in the US was and is the kilo, which can still get you in much hot water (gallons or liters)!!*

Bully13
08-04-2018, 05:07 PM
If U.S. Golf Courses ever go Metric, I'm gonna go domestic terrorist and shit.

TheRef
08-04-2018, 05:31 PM

I can see it now.

Tiger...sitting about 2.5 metres from the hole here.

RocketDawg
08-04-2018, 07:12 PM
I was in Canada in 1977, and their gas pumps had "imperial gallons". Not metric, but larger than an American gallon. They still use it, so they didn't go totally metric. According to Wikipedia, an imperial gallon is the volume of 10 lbs of water at 62F.

RocketDawg
08-04-2018, 07:14 PM

Yeah, we'd have to learn our clubs all over again. Or still measure in yards using our laser range finders.