PDA

View Full Version : Movies You've Watched Multiple Times and Still Continue to Watch

Bully13
08-03-2018, 06:21 PM
I watched Men in Black I & II the other day and then proceeded to pay $3.99 to watch 3. I never get enough of that shit. Laughing my ass off continuously while appreciating the history shit thrown into the mix. Tommy Lee's and Will Smith's relationship doesn't get any better. 2 of the best in the business. trumped Nolty and Murphy's another 48.

Forest Gump. For the same reasons as MIB.

Outlaw Josey Wales. Just simply Kicks Ass. I can never get enough of the meeting with Ten Bears and the end when Josey shoves that blade up asshole's gut after those numerous blank clicks. The end with southern general and Josey's blood dripping on his boot, eye contact and shit. good stuff. "I reckon so"

Godfather 1 & 2. No comment needed.

Shawshank Redemption. I never get enough of the ending. I've never failed to get off on a movie with Morgan Freeman. He just kicks so much ass on multiple fronts. "Cause quite frankly sonny, I don't give a damn" I'll never forget watching that movie the 1st time. It blew my 17ing mind.

Driving Mrs. Daisy. Still chop onions when he's feeding her the Thanksgiving Pie to close the movie out. Never get tired of watching Morgan outsmarting Dan Aykroyd in getting his raise . Good American History references to boot.

Devil's Advocate. Can't stand Reye's (or whatever the 17's his name) fake southern accent. Great movie thanks to one of the all time greats though, Pacino. Every scene is so damned relevant. Surprising end to boot.

I may think of more later, that's all for now.

TheRef
08-03-2018, 07:17 PM
Twister - A Meteorologist's required watching

Sharknado series - Just for the entire luls

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - Once again, for the luls

BeardoMSU
08-03-2018, 09:52 PM

I love Twister, lol. Classic Bill Paxton. Holy Grail never gets old, either.

I've been watching Indiana Jones (originals, obviously) my whole life....I never get tired of them. They are the most important 3 films to me, both personally and professionally.

Clerks. (1994) is literally one of my favorite movies ever made, and the most impressive thing about it, is it's just a film about a few people talking to each other. The dialogue is what makes it.

The Saint (1996). So, this is one of my guilty pleasures. I know they took several liberties compared to the original TV show, but the Val Kilmer 1996 film is just fun as hell. For some reason, I've been watching this movie since it came out, had it on VHS, and now have it on DVD; and I'll have it on Bluray if they ever release it. Also, Elizabeth Shue is a smoke show.

The Thing (1981). Literally, one of the greatest scifi/horror films ever made. I love the claustrophobia of it all.

Alien (1978). The greatest scifi/horror film ever made, and one that I think about all the time. I'm obsessed with it. I even talked my bird into letting us name our daughter Ripley, so it's obviously a film I hold near and dear.

Heaven's Gate (1980). This is, without a doubt, one of the most beautifully shot films ever made. I've become obsessed with it. It was shredded by reviewers when it was released, but the vast majority of the criticism was caused by the circus surrounding the production, not the performances on the screen. It's a beautiful movie (directed by Michael Cimino, the same bloke who gave us The Deer Hunter, another masterpiece).

Jackie Brown (1997). In my opinion, Quentin's best film, and definitely Sam Jackson's best role.

Trainspotting (1996). This is another one I'm obsessed with (a common theme I know, lol). One of the greatest movies about self destruction ever made. The characters are riveting. I've been enamored with this film since it came out. The sequel, T2: Trainspotting (2017) is one of the rare occasions when decades later sequel actually successfully builds upon the original. Where the original is about the visceral waste of youth and feeling indestructible, the sequel is about loss, getting old, repeating mistakes, and memory. It's a perfect book end to the characters.

BeardoMSU
08-03-2018, 10:04 PM
The title of your thread is very interesting to me, Bully. Not that this applies to you, but I know so many people who can watch a movie once and never feel the need to see it again. I've never understood that. I love watching movies. I watch (and collect) movies like people listen to their favorite songs. Over and over and over, lol.

BeardoMSU
08-03-2018, 10:35 PM
Behold the craft...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72q3LgR6Uqc&t=16s

BeardoMSU
08-03-2018, 10:40 PM
Children of Men (2006). Not mentioned above, but I've definitely talked about Children of Men in previous movie threads.....this scene, literally makes my eyes water every time I watch it. Even if you haven't seen this film [which I can't recommend enough] or know what it's about, you can't deny the power of this scene....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBzWTIexszQ

Bully13
08-04-2018, 01:12 AM

How the hell I let out Monty Python on that whim of a thread starter I have no idea. I've never failed to laugh my ass off continuously on everything those British Guys ever did. They kick.

iPat09
08-04-2018, 10:37 PM
Shawshank Redemption - it's my all time favorite movie. Last year, I was in an antique store over in Columbus. I was browsing around, looked up on a shelf and spotted a rectangle tin with an old cruise ship on it. Immediately grabbed it and it's sitting in my room currently. Not a prop. A real life box from the era the movie is set in, and looks almost exactly like the one Red finds next to the stone wall in that field in Buxton, ME.

O Brother, Where Art Thou - Love this movie. The main reason why I listen to bluegrass music. Most of the movie was shot in Mississippi.

Back to the Future - IMO, one of the best written movies ever. A classic that should never be remade. This is one of those movies that every kid needs to see while growing up.

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure - Another 80s movie that really helped define time travel. Also an easily quotable movie with a most outstanding soundtrack.

Blazing Saddles - One of the best movies made by one of the best comedic directors of all time, and would stand no chance of being made today. Another easily quotable movie.

The Muppet Movie - The original. Might be a case of nostalgia, but it's still a great movie made by one of the all time greats to come out of Mississippi. Rainbow Connection gets me every time.

Secondhand Lions - If you haven't seen this movie, you really need to. It has a great cast, and great storytelling. And it's comedy gold.

msstatelp1
08-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Everyone's made great suggestions so far. I'd add Monty Python "Life of Brian" and "The Meaning of Life" to the list.

Secondhand Lions - If you haven't seen this movie, you really need to. It has a great cast, and great storytelling. And it's comedy gold.

Can't go wrong with Michael Caine and Robert Duvall. An excellent movie that doesn't get the credit it deserves.

Another very good underrated movie IMHO is "Never Cry Wolf". It's a Disney movie about Farley Mowat's research into the Arctic Wolf's effect on Caribou populations.

Bully13
08-05-2018, 01:28 AM
I love Twister, lol. Classic Bill Paxton. Holy Grail never gets old, either.

I've been watching Indiana Jones (originals, obviously) my whole life....I never get tired of them. They are the most important 3 films to me, both personally and professionally.

Clerks. (1994) is literally one of my favorite movies ever made, and the most impressive thing about it, is it's just a film about a few people talking to each other. The dialogue is what makes it.

The Saint (1996). So, this is one of my guilty pleasures. I know they took several liberties compared to the original TV show, but the Val Kilmer 1996 film is just fun as hell. For some reason, I've been watching this movie since it came out, had it on VHS, and now have it on DVD; and I'll have it on Bluray if they ever release it. Also, Elizabeth Shue is a smoke show.

The Thing (1981). Literally, one of the greatest scifi/horror films ever made. I love the claustrophobia of it all.

Alien (1978). The greatest scifi/horror film ever made, and one that I think about all the time. I'm obsessed with it. I even talked my bird into letting us name our daughter Ripley, so it's obviously a film I hold near and dear.

Heaven's Gate (1980). This is, without a doubt, one of the most beautifully shot films ever made. I've become obsessed with it. It was shredded by reviewers when it was released, but the vast majority of the criticism was caused by the circus surrounding the production, not the performances on the screen. It's a beautiful movie (directed by Michael Cimino, the same bloke who gave us The Deer Hunter, another masterpiece).

Jackie Brown (1997). In my opinion, Quentin's best film, and definitely Sam Jackson's best role.

Trainspotting (1996). This is another one I'm obsessed with (a common theme I know, lol). One of the greatest movies about self destruction ever made. The characters are riveting. I've been enamored with this film since it came out. The sequel, T2: Trainspotting (2017) is one of the rare occasions when decades later sequel actually successfully builds upon the original. Where the original is about the visceral waste of youth and feeling indestructible, the sequel is about loss, getting old, repeating mistakes, and memory. It's a perfect book end to the characters.

Damn Beard. yea, all the Indiana Jones flicks, I always watch again. Great Stuff. Holy Grail? Nuff Said. Roger That.

The Alien. So Bad , 17ing ass. I forgot about that one. I think I may have fantasized a time or two having a child with Sigourney Weaver on the space station.

What puzzles me though is you are mentioning movies my old ass has never heard of. And that bothers me because I respect your opinion on this shit.

Bully13
08-05-2018, 01:35 AM
Shawshank Redemption - it's my all time favorite movie. Last year, I was in an antique store over in Columbus. I was browsing around, looked up on a shelf and spotted a rectangle tin with an old cruise ship on it. Immediately grabbed it and it's sitting in my room currently. Not a prop. A real life box from the era the movie is set in, and looks almost exactly like the one Red finds next to the stone wall in that field in Buxton, ME.

O Brother, Where Art Thou - Love this movie. The main reason why I listen to bluegrass music. Most of the movie was shot in Mississippi.

Back to the Future - IMO, one of the best written movies ever. A classic that should never be remade. This is one of those movies that every kid needs to see while growing up.

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure - Another 80s movie that really helped define time travel. Also an easily quotable movie with a most outstanding soundtrack.

Blazing Saddles - One of the best movies made by one of the best comedic directors of all time, and would stand no chance of being made today. Another easily quotable movie.

The Muppet Movie - The original. Might be a case of nostalgia, but it's still a great movie made by one of the all time greats to come out of Mississippi. Rainbow Connection gets me every time.

Dude, watched so many back to the future movies. They are so awesome.

Oh and Blazing Saddles? Just the title itself make me laugh my ass off. "SCUSE Me while I whip this out" "Are we Drunk?" "Are we Black?" Gene 17ing Wilder. God I miss that dude, RIP dude, you kicked 17ing ass. (one of the most under rated talents of all time IMO).

Oh and that reminds me, as a child I loved Wonka's Chocolate Factory. I still watch that epic show to this day. Just like Wizard of Oz.

Tbonewannabe
08-05-2018, 09:22 AM
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - the Ben Stiller version. It is a great movie but the cinematography is amazing if you enjoy that type of thing.

Edge of Tomorrow - I honestly can't say why I love this movie unless it just appeals to playing video games. Emily Blunt is super hot and Tom Cruise does his thing.

Blazing Saddles is my favorite comedy but Holy Grail is also up there.

My wife and I watch the Lord of the Rings trilogy once or twice a year. My wife will watch the Harry Potter series anytime she is sick or just working and wants something in the background.

Star Wars is another I have seen a bunch.

Guardians of the Galaxy 1 &2 - my favorite movies, not just comic book movies. Great comedy, action, and some cutting onions.

BeardoMSU
08-05-2018, 09:47 AM
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - the Ben Stiller version. It is a great movie but the cinematography is amazing if you enjoy that type of thing.

Edge of Tomorrow - I honestly can't say why I love this movie unless it just appeals to playing video games. Emily Blunt is super hot and Tom Cruise does his thing.

Blazing Saddles is my favorite comedy but Holy Grail is also up there.

My wife and I watch the Lord of the Rings trilogy once or twice a year. My wife will watch the Harry Potter series anytime she is sick or just working and wants something in the background.

Star Wars is another I have seen a bunch.

Guardians of the Galaxy 1 &2 - my favorite movies, not just comic book movies. Great comedy, action, and some cutting onions.

Edge of Tomorrow is great. It's scifi groundhog day, lol.

And the Guardians movies are easily the best Marvel films.

BeardoMSU
08-05-2018, 09:50 AM

Can't agree with this more. Luckily, Robert Zemeckis (director and producer) has repeatedly stated it will never be re-booted or re-made. Thank God.

Tbonewannabe
08-05-2018, 11:12 AM
Edge of Tomorrow is great. It's scifi groundhog day, lol.

And the Guardians movies are easily the best Marvel films.

Have you seen the Secret Life of Walter Mitty? I seriously love this movie. I can't get my wife to watch it but it is fantastic.

Bully13
08-05-2018, 11:17 AM
It's a Wonderful Life---Jimmy Stewart

Brian's Song (original version)

Rocky I & II

Pulp Fiction

Tbonewannabe
08-05-2018, 11:45 AM
Kill Bill volume 1&2 - I love sword fights

BeardoMSU
08-05-2018, 12:09 PM
Have you seen the Secret Life of Walter Mitty? I seriously love this movie. I can't get my wife to watch it but it is fantastic.

I haven't. I'll definitely check it out though.

BeardoMSU
08-05-2018, 12:24 PM
Glad someone mentioned Monty Python's Life of Brian. That movie is so ****ing funny.

I thought of a few more...

The Goonies (1985). How did I not list this before?

Snatch (2000). One of the funniest British heist/gangster movies ever. Lots of great lines.
Bullet Tooth Tony: Boris the Blade? As in Boris "The Bullet Dodger"?
Cousin Avi: Why do they call him "The Bullet Dodger"?
Tony: Because he dodges bullets, Avi.

Heat (1995). Love this film. DeNiro and Pacino in top form. A great Los Angeles crime movie.

Beetlejuice (1988)....nuff said

Ernest Goes to Camp (1987). I watched this movie over and over as a kid. I still pop it in from time to time now, lol.

Plains, Trains, and Automobiles (1987). John Candy. Steve Martin. What's not to love?

Chasing Amy (1997). Another Kevin Smith/Ben Affleck collaboration, and probably the best efforts for both.

The Birdcage (1996). One of the funniest movies ever made. Amazing dialogue, and a great performances by Robin Williams, Nathan Lane, and Gene Hackman.

"So this is Hell....and there's a crucifix in it."

Love it, lol.

Mjoelner34
08-05-2018, 12:42 PM
In no particular order:

1. Oh Brother Where Art Thou
2. Apollo 13
3. Master and Commander
4. Jeremiah Johnson

Dawg61
08-05-2018, 12:45 PM
Saving Private Ryan, probably seen this movie thirty times now. By far my favorite war movie.

Blade Runner 2049, fantastic soundtrack by Hans Zimmer and the cinematography make this movie phenomenal to watch/hear.

Predator, Arnold in the jungle with the beast. Fantastic.

Die Hard, it's a Christmas movie. Don't care what Bruce says.

Alien is one of my top 10 favorite movies all-time. The super quiet creepy effects make this movie so good. Wish more movies would copy this style. The other Alien moves are good too except Resurrection. Bill Paxton is great in Aliens. Prometheus and Alien Covenant are both good but could have been so much better. This franchise could have been the greatest of all but they've really stumbled it since the 2nd movie. Oh well I still love these movies and will always go see a new one if Disney decides to continue. There are some shots/artwork done for a new one that has Sigourney in it and would take place in between Alien 2 and 3 called Alien Awakening.

Bully13
08-05-2018, 12:54 PM
In no particular order:

2. Apollo 13
3. Master and Commander
4. Jeremiah Johnson

Thanks for reminding me of Jeremiah Johnson. watched several times and would watch again. Oh Brother Where Art Thou is fantastic.

BeardoMSU
08-05-2018, 01:18 PM
In no particular order:

2. Apollo 13
3. Master and Commander
4. Jeremiah Johnson

Master and Commander is a really awesome movie. The attention to detail is astounding.

BeardoMSU
08-05-2018, 01:35 PM
Saving Private Ryan, probably seen this movie thirty times now. By far my favorite war movie.

Blade Runner 2049, fantastic soundtrack by Hans Zimmer and the cinematography make this movie phenomenal to watch/hear.

Predator, Arnold in the jungle with the beast. Fantastic.

Die Hard, it's a Christmas movie. Don't care what Bruce says.

Alien is one of my top 10 favorite movies all-time. The super quiet creepy effects make this movie so good. Which more movies would copy this style. The other Alien moves are good too except resurrection. Bill Paxton is great in Aliens. Prometheus and Alien Covenant are both good too but could have been so much better. This franchise could have been the greatest of all but they've really stumbled it since the 2nd movie. Oh well I still love these movies and will always go see a new one if Disney decides to continue. There are some shots/artwork done for a new one that has Sigourney in it and would take place in between Alien 2 and 3 called Alien Awakening.

Strong post.

Saving Private Ryan is awesome. The Normandy scene is so ****ing visceral. Speaking of WWII movies from 1998, The Thin Red Line is also an epic masterpiece, though focused on the Japanese front.

2049 was my favorite movie of the year. The original is one of my all time favorite films. Not just scifi, but any category. I was so happy to see the sequel handled by someone who had as much reverence for the source material as I did. Where 1981 Blade Runner set up the world and provided backstory, 2049 absolutely continued and expanded the overall themes....And as you said, the score was ****ing dope. Zimmer did a marvelous job of keeping the main themes from Vangellis' original score, while adding his own touch. Blade Runner 2049 is up there with the greatest sequels ever made.

When I was in kindergarten, Predator was my favorite movie, lol. As long as there were no tits in a film, my parents would let me watch it. Nothing like watching a man having his spine ripped out at 5 years old. Ballin'.
I consider Predator one of the greatest scifi action films ever made. It's made so well, and absolutely holds up today.

Die Hard IS a Christmas movie. Without. A. Doubt. John McTeirman can direct a ****ing action movie: Predator, Die Hard, and though not an action film, The Hunt For Red October is a bad ass movie in its own right.

Don't get me started on the Alien franchise dude, lol. I can go on and on about the original. It's a perfect film. Aliens (the James Cameron sequel) is great too, but more of an action/war movie. It benefits heavily from the world already being set up so perfectly in the original, but it's still a bad ass movie. I actually like Alien 3. I love the prison setting, and that movie had enormous potential, but ultimately was destroyed by its shitty dealings behind the scenes and post-production editing. It's actually David Fincher's (Seven, Fight Club, Social Network, Zodiac) first film, and he was treated so poorly by production he almost gave up directing movies entirely and even now doesn't acknowledge Alien 3 as his own. Since Fincher refused to come back and develop a "directors cut" of the film, the producers did "their best" and released a "collective edition" that is as close to his original idea as possible. It's actually pretty good.

Even though Prometheus has some serious flaws, I really liked how it moved away from the xenomorphs, and instead explored the origins of the "space-jockey", which are now called the engineers. Alien Covenant was probably the most disappointing movie I've ever seen, but I'd have to write you a thesis to delve into that one, lol...

Dolphus Raymond
08-05-2018, 05:29 PM
All the President's Men
The Ghost and Mr. Chicken
Romero

Tbonewannabe
08-05-2018, 07:17 PM
The Last of the Mohicans. Daniel Day Lewis is just freaking amazing and beautiful cinematography. I love movies with beautiful backdrops. Blade Runner 2049 was also a beautiful movie.

A movie from when I was young was Enter the Dragon. Bruce Lee was badass. I probably watched it at least a couple times a week on VHS for about a year. I really wonder how he would have done in films with this better technology. He had to actually slow himself down so the camera could keep up or his movement looked blurry.

Dawg61
08-05-2018, 08:25 PM
Passengers with Chris Pratt would of been infinity better if he'd awoken 12 passengers because there was an Alien on board he needed help killing. Maybe one day I'll make this version.

BeardoMSU
08-05-2018, 11:36 PM
The Last of the Mohicans. Daniel Day Lewis is just freaking amazing and beautiful cinematography. I love movies with beautiful backdrops. Blade Runner 2049 was also a beautiful movie.

Yep, it's an amazing movie. DDL is great, but I'd like to add that Wes Studi as Magua was ****ing awesome. He absolutely owned that character.

Michael Mann has always been one of my favorite directors. I listed Heat above, and have definitely listed Last of the Mohicans in previous threads. His recent films haven't been met with high praise, but I actually really really like Public Enemies (John Dillinger film staring Johnny Depp) and I actually think Miami Vice (with Jamie Fox and Colin Ferrell) is a hugely underrated movie. Also, Collateral may be Tom Cruise's best role.

The Insider is a masterpiece, and I actually got to watch (from a distance) the scenes set in Pascagoula MS being filmed.

Oh, and Manhunter (1986) is easily the best film featuring Dr. Hannibal Lecter, and it doesn't even star Anthony Hopkins....I know blasphemy, right? Nope...

Pit Bull
08-06-2018, 01:53 AM
Alien
The Matrix
Fury
Sicario
Dantes Peak
The Hurt Locker
Fargo
The Maze Runner
The Town

BrunswickDawg
08-06-2018, 07:49 AM
The title of your thread is very interesting to me, Bully. Not that this applies to you, but I know so many people who can watch a movie once and never feel the need to see it again. I've never understood that. I love watching movies. I watch (and collect) movies like people listen to their favorite songs. Over and over and over, lol.

Yeah - I'll watch any movie again if I like it. If my family really enjoys it - we make an event out of it. Call a family movie night on a weekend or over a holiday and watch O, Brother Where Art Thou?, or do a Toy Story marathon.
Over Christmas Break we will watch all the Harry Potter movies, all the Indiana Jones movies (even Crystal Skull), Christmas Vacation, or A Christmas Story. Every Christmas Eve after everyone is gone, my kids (17 & 19) still want to watch "The Veggie Tales Star of Christmas" and then "It's a Wonderful Life".

We call getting sucked into a movie you've seen just because it is on "Shawshanked"

KOdawg1
08-06-2018, 08:16 AM
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is fantastic

The Godfather I and II

The Dark Knight. Heath Ledger is phenomenal in this

Interstellar (you have to watch it a couple of times to get it though)

AROB44
08-06-2018, 08:23 AM
1. Dr. Zhivago
2. Contact
3. Patton
4. Once Upon a Time in the West

Dawg61
08-06-2018, 09:17 AM
Jaws
Ghostbusters (original)
Last of the Mohicans
Caddyshack
Major League
Hoosiers
Book of Eli
Hot Fuzz
Friday
Disney/Pixar/Lego movies
Rambo First Blood and the last one Rambo
Rocky 4 and Creed
Beverly Hills Cop, 48 HRs
Money Ball
Braveheart
Den of Thieves
Drive
Gone in 60 Seconds
Fight Club
Both 300 movies

Tbonewannabe
08-06-2018, 11:50 AM
Anyone that likes scifi action type movies, Dredd is good. It was the reboot of Judge Dredd, the movie Stallone made campy. The new one has Karl Urban as Judge Dredd and it is non stop shooting and killing like the graphic novels.

Deadpool is one that I have watched multiple times.

Mad Max Fury Road is an extremely cool movie. Once again, I just love the look of the film.

Logan - the last wolverine movie. It is a damn shame that it didn't win an Oscar. Patrick Stewart wins it if it wasn't a "comic book" movie. The whole thing is acted beautifully by everyone. I enjoyed The Wolverine but Mangold went above and beyond with Logan. Even if you haven't seen the other movies, you should watch this. Great action sequences and just superb acting.

Thor Ragnarok is up there with Guardians of the Galaxy movies as far as comic book movies go. If James Gunn isn't rehired, I hope they bring in Waititi as director for GG3.

Tbonewannabe
08-06-2018, 11:57 AM
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is fantastic

The Godfather I and II

The Dark Knight. Heath Ledger is phenomenal in this

Interstellar (you have to watch it a couple of times to get it though)

Nice to find someone else that appreciates Walter Mitty.

I have never sat down and watched the Godfather series. I love movies but most mob movies just don't grab me. This is on my list to finally watch. I have watched Goodfellas, Casino, Scarface, and others but just never watched this one.

The Dark Knight is the best Batman film ever and that has a lot to do with Ledger. He definitely deserved the Oscar that year. I wonder if he hadn't died if he still would have won it.

Interstellar - I love Nolan movies. Very good movie but I have only seen it once. I actually read up on it after just so I understood everything. Interestingly enough, Nolan had some famous astrophysicist work with him on the script to make sure everything was possible. We may find out later things weren't, but as of now for all the information we have on how black holes work, the movie is accurate.

biscuit
08-08-2018, 12:52 PM
Outlaw Josey Wales
The Sandlot
Twister
Wolf of Wall Street - I laugh so hard everytime
Rounders
Field of Dreams
Back to the Future
Three Amigos
Any movie with Wesley Snipes
Saving Private Ryan

I will always stop and watch if any of these are on. My wife hates all of them too

somebodyshotmypaw
08-10-2018, 10:16 PM
Smokey and the Bandit (I can quote the whole thing)
Cars (the kid in me I guess)
Saving Private Ryan
We Were Soldiers
Animal House
Blazing Saddles
National Lampoons Vacation

TheRef
08-10-2018, 10:42 PM
Smokey and the Bandit (I can quote the whole thing)
Cars (the kid in me I guess)
Saving Private Ryan
We Were Soldiers
Animal House
Blazing Saddles
National Lampoons Vacation

Saving Private Ryan and We Were Soldiers are just two damn good movies who were cast and shot perfectly, in my opinion.

parabrave
08-11-2018, 08:51 PM
The Right Stuff, The Green Berets. 12 O'Clock High. The Bridge Too Far, The longest Day.

Bully13
08-11-2018, 10:36 PM
Blast from the past. Watching sergeant York. 1941

DawgFromOxford
08-11-2018, 11:54 PM
Basically anything by Christopher Nolan: The Dark Knight, Inception, The Prestige

Django Unchained
The Big Short
Step Brothers
Talladega Nights
Old School

Prediction? Pain.
08-12-2018, 12:40 PM
Strong posts in this thread. I share lots of these picks for ad nauseum viewing, especially Back to the Future, Die Hard, Star Wars, Shawshank, and The Thing. A few others no one has mentioned that I would always watch if I came across while flipping:

The Great Escape
The Longest Day
The Professional
Dazed and Confused
Clue
Murder on the Orient Express (the original)
Home Alone
The Breakfast Club
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Duck Soup
War Games
Little Man Tate and it's not-sequel sequel Searching for Bobby Fischer
Tommy Boy

I also tend to stop on anything involving Orson Welles, but I'm a nerd like that.

msstatelp1
08-12-2018, 01:57 PM
Blast from the past. Watching sergeant York. 1941

on TCM? Couldn't help myself, had to watch The Pride of the Yankees, then Sergeant York.

Bully13
08-12-2018, 04:58 PM
on TCM? Couldn't help myself, had to watch The Pride of the Yankees, then Sergeant York.

No doubt bro. TCM Kicks. Please tell more about pride of the Yankees. Sgt York is as good as it gets.

Dolphus Raymond
08-12-2018, 07:40 PM
After further thought, I'm adding the following to my list:
Being There
Doctor Zhivago "There will be no more peaceful demonstrations!" Pasha
The Big Lebowski
Smoky and the Bandit "Give me a Diablo Sandwich and a Dr. Pepper and make it fast; I'm in a god damn hurry." Buford T. Justice

BeardoMSU
08-12-2018, 08:43 PM
Strong posts in this thread. I share lots of these picks for ad nauseum viewing, especially Back to the Future, Die Hard, Star Wars, Shawshank, and The Thing. A few others no one has mentioned that I would always watch if I came across while flipping:

The Great Escape
The Longest Day
The Professional
Dazed and Confused
Clue
Murder on the Orient Express (the original)
Home Alone
The Breakfast Club
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Duck Soup
War Games
Little Man Tate and it's not-sequel sequel Searching for Bobby Fischer
Tommy Boy

I also tend to stop on anything involving Orson Welles, but I'm a nerd like that.

You've got some winners in here for sure...

I see you've got three John Hughs films grouped together. Is that coincidence, or is just how your mind works?

Regarding Orson Welles, I can only say...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/c26b20d3523d58572c00a59fabfc6650/tumblr_mtzmeqC16Z1qcga5ro1_500.gif

Prediction? Pain.
08-12-2018, 11:31 PM
You've got some winners in here for sure...

I see you've got three John Hughs films grouped together. Is that coincidence, or is just how your mind works?

Regarding Orson Welles, I can only say...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/c26b20d3523d58572c00a59fabfc6650/tumblr_mtzmeqC16Z1qcga5ro1_500.gif

Before Kurt Vonnegut, Pink Floyd, and indie rock stepped in, John Hughes split a four-way sublease on my brain alongside Matt Groening, the Nintendo Corporation, and whatever weirdo programmed all my mom's favorite old 40s and 50s movies to come on TCM and the original version of AMC. (Oh, and the Slush Puppie dog. How that dude didn't give my diabetes by age 12, I have no idea.) So yeah, that's just how it crumbled this afternoon, cookie-wise. (I also like Billy Wilder.)

How can you not stop to watch Welles doing Welles stuff? Watch Citizen Kane for more than five minutes and you'll undoubtedly say to yourself, "Oh, that's where that technique/shot/line/montage style/set design/narrative device came from." And The Third Man? Come on, dude. Whether he had squat to do with directing the thing, it doesn't get much better than that. I could watch and listen to that movie every month or two for the rest of my life and never tire of it.

Thought of a few more a minute ago:

Unforgiven
The Princess Bride
The Point (movie for the awesome Nilsson album of the same name)
The Freshman

I'm going back a ways with these -- my channel-flipping and repeat-movie-watching time is pretty limited these days -- but they were regulars that I never tired of.

Bully13
08-12-2018, 11:31 PM
Sgt York kills all. I'm getting ready to watch again and remind myself of God and country and Jesus and get off on truth love and Godly things

ScoobaDawg
08-13-2018, 01:20 AM
flipping through and saw the shawshank redemption on. Always will stop to watch that.

BrunswickDawg
08-13-2018, 10:14 AM
Can't believe we are 50 posts in and no one has mentioned Point Break or Roadhouse!

So much classic in those two, I always have to stop and watch.

parabrave
08-13-2018, 11:53 AM
Can't believe we are 50 posts in and no one has mentioned Point Break or Roadhouse!

OK those 2 and every Die Hard, Clint Eastwood, including "Where Eagles Dare" and "Kellys Heroes" movies are automatically included.

Tbonewannabe
08-13-2018, 12:34 PM
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. I liked Clerks and other Kevin Smith movies but this one is just funny to me. We used to watch it about every week in college.

Prediction? Pain.
08-13-2018, 02:16 PM
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. I liked Clerks and other Kevin Smith movies but this one is just funny to me. We used to watch it about every week in college.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnESedN4vSI

"Applesauce, bitch."

Dude, the gag reel for that scene made me and my friends totally lose it back in the day. For some reason the link to the exact spot in the video isn't working; go to the 7:40 mark. Funny as hell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMTzuwYs8IU&t=7m40s

msstatelp1
08-13-2018, 04:28 PM
No doubt bro. TCM Kicks. Please tell more about pride of the Yankees. Sgt York is as good as it gets.

It's stars Gary Cooper and is about Lou Gehrig. It was made in 1942 shortly after his death. I'm always up for a good baseball movie but what's kinda neat about this one is that it had some of the men that were on the team with him, like Babe Ruth. It is sappy like a lot of the older movies but still a classic.

Leroy Jenkins
08-14-2018, 08:09 PM
Tombstone- I'm your huckleberry.
Big Lebowski- The chinaman is not the issue. BTW, dude, chinaman is not the proper nomenclature.
Snatch- Proper fvcked?
Pulp fiction- Zeds dead, baby... Zeds dead.
Inglorious Basterds- If you ever want to eat a sour kraut sannich again...

Dawg61
08-15-2018, 09:56 PM
Training Day
The Edge
5th Element
Total Recall
3:10 to Yuma
No Country for Old Men
The Drop
Se7en
Terminator
Black Hawk Down
Full Metal Jacket
Platoon
Blood Diamond
Man on Fire
American Gangster
John Wick 1&2
Sicarrio
Hell or High Water
Running Man
The Town
I Am Legend
The Departed

somebodyshotmypaw
08-19-2018, 09:39 PM

Roadhouse is terrible. But I stop and watch it every time. I can't help it. Ass-kickin at the Double Deuce!

Dawg61
08-21-2018, 09:23 PM
Elysium is good, Sharlto Copley is awesome in it. He's actually awesome in everything I've seen him in. District 9, A-Team and Chappie.

DawgNamedScuba
08-22-2018, 04:55 PM
All these great movies but if this is ever on tv I will quote ever damn line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mqt2dN8W3c

BeardoMSU
08-23-2018, 10:48 PM
Roadhouse is terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV32IghHNpE

Bully13
08-24-2018, 04:24 PM
No sharknado fans here?**

BeardoMSU
08-24-2018, 04:30 PM

My cinema slum only goes so far...

parabrave
08-24-2018, 06:11 PM

Don't get any better that atomic shark.

rbdog82
09-05-2018, 08:30 PM
Y’all should checkout the Rewatchables podcast with Bill Simmons. He reviews a lot of the movies y’all have previously mentioned. Pretty entertaining.

Bully13
09-07-2018, 08:04 AM
Still catch some Smokie & the Bandit due to LOL at Gleason. (in memory of Burt) Still catch me some Up in Smoke, still LOL at Cheech & Chong. Watched (again) To Kill a Mockingbird last night. A Time to Kill still gets watched. Scent of a Woman.

DownwardDawg
09-07-2018, 07:44 PM
Tombstone
Pulp Fiction

Political Hack
09-11-2018, 11:00 AM
Star Wars, any of them.

Goonies.

Snatch. (Possibly my favorite)

Gangs of New York.

Field of Dreams.

Sandlot.

Varsity Blues.

Dazed and Confused.

Rambo I.

Back to the Future I.

E.T.

Most of the Indiana Jones series.

Fugitive.

Bloodsport.

Point Break (the original)

Big Lebowski

Open Range

Tombstone

Liverpooldawg
09-13-2018, 09:24 AM
The Quiet Man
Key Largo
Chariots of Fire
Big Jake
The Man who Shot Liberty Valence
Rio Lobo
The Sons of Katie Eldar
The Horse Soldiers
The Outlaw Josey Wales
The original Star Wars
The Harry Potter series
Hoosiers
The Longest Day
A Bridge Too Far
The Battle of Britain
Not a movie but still: Band of Brothers
Casablanca
Sands of Iwo Jima
A River Runs Through It
Any Bond movie with Sean Connery, Roger Moore, or Daniel Craig
Gangs of New York
Gettysburg
Field of Dreams
Bull Durham
Caddyshack
Animal House
The Blues Brothers

Remembered some more after reading Jack's list:
Patton
Goodfellas
The Godfather 1&2 (3 absolutely SUCKED)
Casino
Kelly's Heros
Tora Tora Tora
Forrest Gump
Secondhand Lions
McLintock
MASH
The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming
Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
A Christmas Story
Blazing Saddles
O Brother Where Art Thou
Doctor Zhivago
Ben-Hur
Gone With the Wind
Sink the Bismarck
Braveheart
The Blue Max
Zulu
The Right Stuff
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World

Jack Lambert
09-14-2018, 02:25 PM
God's and Generals,
Gettysburg,
Patton,
Kelly's Hero's,
War of the Wolds (Both Versions),
Waterloo,
Last of the Mohican's,
Gangs of New York,
Casino,
Good Fellas,
God Father I and II,
The Good The Bad and The Ugly,
They call me Trinity,
The Alamo (John Wayne),
Mid Way,
Full Metal Jacket (Boot camp Only),
Heart Break Ridge
Blues Brothers
The Unforgiving (Best Part is when Clint Eastwood finds his ball at the end)
Airplane I and II.

Tbonewannabe
09-14-2018, 02:42 PM
God's and Generals,
Gettysburg,
Patton,
Kelly's Hero's,
War of the Wolds (Both Versions),
Waterloo,
Last of the Mohican's,
Gangs of New York,
Casino,
Good Fellas,
God Father I and II,
The Good The Bad and The Ugly,
They call me Trinity,
The Alamo (John Wayne),
Mid Way,
Full Metal Jacket (Boot camp Only),
Heart Break Ridge
Blues Brothers
The Unforgiving (Best Part is when Clint Eastwood finds his ball at the end)
Airplane I and II.

My Dad used to watch all of the Trinity movies all of the time. I have probably watched those more than any other western.

tcdog70
09-18-2018, 11:27 AM
Hollywood Knights and Used Cars

Prediction? Pain.
09-22-2018, 08:46 AM
Doing the usual Saturday morning routine with the kids and some weird corner of my brain randomly lit up with this epiphany:

No one in this thread mentioned Big Trouble in Little China!

https://i.imgur.com/i8oPqdq.gif

Tbonewannabe
09-24-2018, 08:35 AM
Doing the usual Saturday morning routine with the kids and some weird corner of my brain randomly lit up with this epiphany:

No one in this thread mentioned Big Trouble in Little China!

https://i.imgur.com/i8oPqdq.gif

I believe the Rock is talking about doing a remake which will be nowhere close to the original.

Prediction? Pain.
09-24-2018, 11:43 AM
I believe the Rock is talking about doing a remake which will be nowhere close to the original.

Yeah, I've heard about that. What a travesty. Maybe more of a "reboot" than "remake"? Regardless, it's a ridiculous idea. May as well "reboot" the Godfather movies with Vin Diesel, Citizen Kane with Jack Black, Gone with the Wind with Amy Poehler, or The Ten Commandments with Tom Cruise. Vito Corleone, Charles Foster Kane, Scarlet O'Hara, Moses, Jack Burton . . . . Some roles are just too sacred to mess with.

But seriously, what's with this kind of crap? Is it really that hard to come up with new ideas for movies?

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-yA3riWJw-Kg/VvsH-V-42wI/AAAAAAAAAdg/uXdUrNZun2UMu7gqqiMZgnMjj05YwQmNA/s1600/ch920625.gif

ETA: Oh, and it now occurs to me that the gif I posted from this movie on Saturday morning turned out to be a spot-on preview of our offense in the Kentucky game later that evening. Yikes . . . .

parabrave
09-24-2018, 09:07 PM
Hollywood Knights and Used Cars

These two will make you blow snot out of your nose.

BeardoMSU
09-25-2018, 10:39 AM
But seriously, what's with this kind of crap? Is it really that hard to come up with new ideas for movies?

Though I agree in principle, there have been some really great remakes, re-boots, and late-sequels over the years: The Thing, Bladerunner 2049, 3:10 to Yuma, The Color of Money, Oceans Eleven (the original remake, not the new reboot), True Grit, The Longest Yard, Planet of the Apes (not the Tim Burton one, but the new ones), Dredd, Mad Max: Fury Road, Creed, etc. That's been a Hollywood practice since the beginning of cinema. Though for every decent to good remake, there are a dozen piles of shit eagerly seeking a money grab.

Speaking of film profit, it's really disheartening that a film made with such reverence and love for the original subject matter, like a Bladerunner 2049, could bomb at the box office, yet a Ghostbusters, any Michael Bay film, and the hordes of shitty horror movies will absolutely clean up.

Prediction? Pain.
09-25-2018, 11:48 AM
Though I agree in principle, there have been some really great remakes, re-boots, and late-sequels over the years: The Thing, Bladerunner 2049, 3:10 to Yuma, The Color of Money, Oceans Eleven (the original remake, not the new reboot), True Grit, The Longest Yard, Planet of the Apes (not the Tim Burton one, but the new ones), Dredd, Mad Max: Fury Road, Creed, etc. That's been a Hollywood practice since the beginning of cinema. Though for every decent to good remake, there are a dozen piles of shit eagerly seeking a money grab.

Speaking of film profit, it's really disheartening that a film made with such reverence and love for the original subject matter, like a Bladerunner 2049, could bomb at the box office, yet a Ghostbusters, any Michael Bay film, and the hordes of shitty horror movies will absolutely clean up.

No doubt, Beardo. I'm fine with new takes on old ideas, just as I am with continuing a story with existing characters so long as there is fertile ground left to be tilled. Re-telling old stories is part of the point of having the story in the first place. But as you said, for every worthwhile reinvention of an old story -- another great example is Last of the Mohicans, which was made into a film many times before Michael Mann created his masterpiece in the 1990s -- there are a dozen piles of poo.

https://comb.io/wdAFFh

BeardoMSU
09-25-2018, 12:37 PM

Haha!

Tbonewannabe
09-25-2018, 01:49 PM

I think it helps when the remake is for a movie old enough that most haven't seen the original. It also helps if the remake is using new technology like Planet of the Apes (no obvious ape masks). My wife liked the first Transformers movie after that the plot is just so nonexistent that we hated them. I have watched them when they come on HBO or something but I find that I am always trying to figure out what is happening. It is literally explosion porn. It seems like they write the movie as they go along.

Ghostbusters was also just not good. Feig wanted to blame the blowback on sexism but the truth is that it just wasn't a great movie. It wasn't very funny and Melissa McCarthy was kind of boring. A lot of her movies are like watching Adam Sandler do the same skit in every scene.

BeardoMSU
09-25-2018, 01:59 PM
It is literally explosion porn.

That's Michael Bay's M.O....to him, explosions = good movie

Tbonewannabe
09-25-2018, 02:04 PM
That's Michael Bay's M.O....to him, explosions = good movie

People gave Shia shit for saying the Transformer movies just weren't good but he was just telling the truth. I really don't know how Bay movies make money because most of them are garbage. It is like if a couple of people just stay up late one night shooting the shit about rebooting Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and he takes that rambling conversation and creates a script.

Political Hack
09-26-2018, 03:37 PM
Bay does re-dos with better effects. Used the existing audience and fans of old established stories to drive viewership of his flicks. I hope he redoes E.T. E.T. with more explosions would be great.***

BeardoMSU
09-26-2018, 04:38 PM
I hope he redoes E.T. E.T. with more explosions would be great.***

I'm going to track you down, and then I'm going kill you.**

parabrave
09-26-2018, 05:00 PM
Bay does re-dos with better effects. Used the existing audience and fans of old established stories to drive viewership of his flicks. I hope he redoes E.T. E.T. with more explosions would be great.***

Hey he could have ET invade earth and have a Battleship finally destroy it. And have chicken burritos served as dinner.

Tbonewannabe
09-27-2018, 03:41 PM
Hey he could have ET invade earth and have a Battleship finally destroy it. And have chicken burritos served as dinner.

And change the Drew Barremore character to be a hot 19 year old who likes to do yoga by the pool in a bikini.

BrunswickDawg
09-27-2018, 09:48 PM
No doubt, Beardo. I'm fine with new takes on old ideas, just as I am with continuing a story with existing characters so long as there is fertile ground left to be tilled. Re-telling old stories is part of the point of having the story in the first place. But as you said, for every worthwhile reinvention of an old story -- another great example is Last of the Mohicans, which was made into a film many times before Michael Mann created his masterpiece in the 1990s -- there are a dozen piles of poo.

I always think it is interesting when two films come out close together about the same topic and how polarizing opinions can be about which one people like more. A good example being Tombstone and Wyatt Earp. I love both of them for different reasons and can sit and watch both over again. Tombstone is funny, great action, and Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer are terrific and well cast. The flip side of that is Wyatt Earp is more of an epic storytelling piece. Dennis Quaid?s Doc Holliday is said to very historically accurate - and very convincing. I always thought Wyatt Earp got short changed because Tomstone was so tight by comparison - and downright fun to watch.

parabrave
09-28-2018, 02:32 AM
And change the Drew Barremore character to be a hot 19 year old who likes to do yoga by the pool in a bikini.

Dam right but only if her bikini is made out of whip cream, with homage to the greatest album cover ever.

Tbonewannabe
09-28-2018, 09:28 AM
I always think it is interesting when two films come out close together about the same topic and how polarizing opinions can be about which one people like more. A good example being Tombstone and Wyatt Earp. I love both of them for different reasons and can sit and watch both over again. Tombstone is funny, great action, and Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer are terrific and well cast. The flip side of that is Wyatt Earp is more of an epic storytelling piece. Dennis Quaid?s Doc Holliday is said to very historically accurate - and very convincing. I always thought Wyatt Earp got short changed because Tomstone was so tight by comparison - and downright fun to watch.

It is weird how that happens sometimes. I enjoyed both of those movies also. Armageddon and Deep Impact were also very close movies but no one seems to remember Deep Impact. It probably has to do with Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck having more star power.