PDA

View Full Version : Rewatching aTm game...

Leroy Jenkins
08-02-2018, 05:58 PM
One of my favorites from last year.... after LSU. Forgot about the "liver smoothie banter".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7SAnVQKNTw

iPat09
08-02-2018, 07:35 PM
I was in Huntsville to see Kansas that night. Was able to watch the first half or so before leaving for the venue. Ended up sitting next to another State fan at the concert who kept me updated on the score.

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-02-2018, 07:44 PM
That was the final nail in the coffin for Sumlin. They just had a bye week, were playing at home, had played Bama close, then we walk in there and physically dominate both the lines. Nothing gives you the wool like consistently lining up and blowing the other team's line back several yards... Don't get me wrong I want to be more balanced than we were last year, but some good old fashioned big man getting nasty is always my favorite to watch

NCDawg
08-02-2018, 07:44 PM
we were lucky they didn't score on their first series. Had guys open behind our secondary two straight times. QB overthrew the first time and second time their guy dropped the ball. We were also lucky in the LSU game where their first long pass for a TD got called back due to offensive pass interference. Bottom line, we got beat deep many times last year. I hope our secondary will improve this year.

Homedawg
08-02-2018, 07:53 PM
Well Bama( and others ) were lucky we didn't connect on he first play from scrimmage which was td too. So there's that. But yeah we did get burned plenty.

RocketDawg
08-02-2018, 08:47 PM
Well Bama( and others ) were lucky we didn't connect on he first play from scrimmage which was td too. So there's that. But yeah we did get burned plenty.

As I recall, Georgia connected on the first play from scrimmage. Then kept on doing it ....

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-02-2018, 08:48 PM
we were lucky they didn't score on their first series. Had guys open behind our secondary two straight times. QB overthrew the first time and second time their guy dropped the ball. We were also lucky in the LSU game where their first long pass for a TD got called back due to offensive pass interference. Bottom line, we got beat deep many times last year. I hope our secondary will improve this year.

The problem was scheme. We were so aggressive with our S. Got a ton of safety blitz sacks, but UGA and Auburn saw how aggressive we were and play actioned us right out of the gate. In the Bama game, almost every single catch Ridley had was with McLaurin/Abrams in man coverage on him. Our scheme left strong safeties to cover the 2nd best receiver in our conference.... that's all scheme, no secondary can handle that. Against OM we just didn't have any safety help over the top. As you say, LSU and A&M beat our S deep, they just couldn't connect.

I really don't think the DBs were that slow/forgetful of assignments, we just told them to be way too aggressive against the run and our coverages seemed to interchange SS with CBs. I think we give up more 10-30 yard passes but less long TDs this year as we keep the S back more

Todd4State
08-02-2018, 09:12 PM
The problem was scheme. We were so aggressive with our S. Got a ton of safety blitz sacks, but UGA and Auburn saw how aggressive we were and play actioned us right out of the gate. In the Bama game, almost every single catch Ridley had was with McLaurin/Abrams in man coverage on him. Our scheme left strong safeties to cover the 2nd best receiver in our conference.... that's all scheme, no secondary can handle that. Against OM we just didn't have any safety help over the top. As you say, LSU and A&M beat our S deep, they just couldn't connect.

I really don't think the DBs were that slow/forgetful of assignments, we just told them to be way too aggressive against the run and our coverages seemed to interchange SS with CBs. I think we give up more 10-30 yard passes but less long TDs this year as we keep the S back more

I think Shoop will help with that as far as scheme and I think Brian Cole will be a key player for us that will help with match-ups.

Goldendawg
08-02-2018, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the link. Enjoying watching again. KO's made me wonder. Was R. Todd really one of our best choices to run back kicks? Know he is not in school, but how fast is he?

JoseBrown
08-02-2018, 11:10 PM
And also we had a #1 that bit on every single head n shoulder fake a WR gave him last year. In his defense he almost ran a couple of them down from behind inside the ten before they scored though...

IMissJack
08-03-2018, 05:08 PM
I was at the game and it was a butt whipping from the initial snap. The score was not indicative of the game, however many Mullen games were like that. He never could keep the foot on the gas.