PDA

View Full Version : Mike Brown - former assistant baseball coach

Todd4State
08-01-2018, 06:02 PM
Hired on at Hawaii as an assistant for them.

Hope he does well and becomes a head coach one day!

msbulldog
08-01-2018, 06:25 PM
Well I guess if you get fired and have to draw unemployment, Hawaii is not a bad gig! Thank you for your effort Mike Brown, for MSU! We wish you best of luck in your future endeavors!

Hambone
08-01-2018, 07:44 PM
Man, I’d say he landed on his feet quite nicely!

sandjunky
08-01-2018, 09:05 PM
Happy for the dude! My favorite of all the assistant coaches I interacted with

Todd4State
08-01-2018, 09:36 PM
Man, I’d say he landed on his feet quite nicely!

Absolutely!

Schultzy
08-01-2018, 11:08 PM
He was great at the younger kids Palmeiro Center camp he ran in February. As were all the other assistants and players who were there.

Pit Bull
08-01-2018, 11:30 PM
Hawaii really should have a stupendous baseball program. Don't understand why they don't. Probably have a top ten stadium.....and you'd think baseball would be a huge draw there.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
08-02-2018, 02:04 AM
Don’t know but I’m guessing the cost of living out there would play a big part in it. Off campus living has got to be ridiculous compared to most any college on the main land. Not to mention groceries, etc. 11.7 scholarships goes a little further in places like Starkville, Fayetteville, Lubbock than Honolulu. I’d also say they only have so many quality kids to pull from on the Islands.

That being said, they did have some strong teams in the 80’s and were CWS runner ups in 1980. Seems like we went out there and played a series back in the 80’s. Don’t know if we ever hosted them in a return series.

Pit Bull
08-02-2018, 06:20 AM
Don’t know but I’m guessing the cost of living out there would play a big part in it. Off campus living has got to be ridiculous compared to most any college on the main land. Not to mention groceries, etc. 11.7 scholarships goes a little further in places like Starkville, Fayetteville, Lubbock than Honolulu. I’d also say they only have so many quality kids to pull from on the Islands.

That being said, they did have some strong teams in the 80’s and were CWS runner ups in 1980. Seems like we went out there and played a series back in the 80’s. Don’t know if we ever hosted them in a return series.

We played them out there in a 4 game series in 2009 (Cohen's first year). I made the trip and turned it into a vacation as my only trip ever to Hawaii. Also, the girls softball team played in their classic at the same time. The stadiums were right next to each other and we went back and forth to support the guys and gals. Loads of fun. MSU even had a girl player from Honolulu and she got to go home to play in that tourney. Boys lost 3 out of 4 to the Rainbow Warriors. Hawaii has a beautiful modern stadium and had pretty good crowd support there too. Tyler Whitney pitched and won the first game, then the Warriors whooped us good the next 3 games. Connor Powers was our best hitter. Butch Thompson was the pitching coach and I think Mingione was there too. One of the best trips my wife and I ever did. Got to hang out with the teams at functions like boat trips and Luau's. Would love to do that again!

Bully13
08-02-2018, 09:21 AM
Hawaii really should have a stupendous baseball program. Don't understand why they don't. Probably have a top ten stadium.....and you'd think baseball would be a huge draw there.

I'll tell you why they'll never have a dominant program in any sport. Because there are many folks out there that share the same opinion about HI as I do. I've never been to HI, would LOVE to go though and one day I will. But after about a month, I'd be crawling the walls to get back to the States. Knew a girl who lived there for 3 years who could not wait to get back to the mainland. There's even a word for it out there but I forget what it is.