PDA

View Full Version : Not to bring up a sore subject but .. WRs

BB30
08-01-2018, 01:14 PM
Got to thinking about it. Who was the last WR we signed coming out of high school that was considered a "stud"? I tried thinking back on it and really don't remember many if any. I know Fred Ross was fairly highly thought of and a couple of the WRs we signed last year were as well.

I really hope this staff utilizes the TE more in the passing game. I know Mullen did to an extent but I think we could use them a bit more to offset the issues we have had landing WRs.

preachermatt83
08-01-2018, 01:20 PM
Whop was/is a stud

louisvilledawg
08-01-2018, 01:22 PM
According to different sites, Devonta Jason was between 10-35 on the wr rankings. Some disparity among the sites, but i would consider him a stud.

msstate7
08-01-2018, 01:23 PM
Whop was/is a stud

I agree, and he was a huge get. With that said, whop is a Louisiana kid that LSU didn't offer, so he was not on AJ's level. Whop was more on Fred Ross' level recruiting wise imo

thf24
08-01-2018, 01:30 PM
If stud means prototypical X receiver (great speed, great size, great hands), then the easy answer is there simply aren't a lot of that type of receiver to go around nationwide, and as a program that hasn't fielded a WR-friendly offense in decades, if ever, we're at a disadvantage recruiting this small pool. I'm not sure we've had anyone who's a "stud" by this definition since Moulds. I think Bear or Ross would be the closest, or now Whop.

Tbonewannabe
08-01-2018, 01:40 PM
Chad Bumphis was a pretty good WR recruit.

sleepy dawg
08-01-2018, 01:50 PM
Probably Fred Ross.
Before that, it may have been Bumphis. Was Joe Morrow a big time recruit? I remember being really excited about him coming in at the time.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-01-2018, 01:52 PM
I agree, and he was a huge get. With that said, whop is a Louisiana kid that LSU didn't offer, so he was not on AJ's level. Whop was more on Fred Ross' level recruiting wise imo

LSU offered & would have taken him late.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-01-2018, 01:55 PM
If stud is 4* or better then Whop, Malik Dear, Malik Heath (of course he didn't qualify), Fred Ross, & Michael Carr would be the list this decade.

sandwolf
08-01-2018, 02:06 PM

Whop had a legit LSU offer.

msstate7
08-01-2018, 02:20 PM
LSU offered & would have taken him late.

My apologies.

LC Dawg
08-01-2018, 02:25 PM
If we had signed that kid out of Crawford a while back we may not be having these wr problems.

codeDawg
08-01-2018, 02:31 PM
If we had signed that kid out of Crawford a while back we may not be having these wr problems.

He was too small to play college football.

Doggie_Style
08-01-2018, 03:17 PM
He was too small to play college football.

....and too slow, kinda like Brooks Rayburn

Cary Hudson's little bro
08-01-2018, 03:20 PM
Sore subject? This is not a bad group of athletes.

X - Stephen Guidry, Jamal Couch, O. Mitchell
Z - Deddrick Thomas, Whop, Jesse Jackson
Slot - Mixon, Dear, A. Williams

confucius say
08-01-2018, 03:24 PM
If stud is 4* or better then Whop, Malik Dear, Malik Heath (of course he didn't qualify), Fred Ross, & Michael Carr would be the list this decade.

If you have a good grasp on the new hard 25 scholarship number and how it works, please share. I heard David Johnson say this morning he expects OM to sign 29-30 this upcoming cycle.

msstate7
08-01-2018, 03:24 PM

I like the potential of this group. Hate we lost todd

coachnorm
08-01-2018, 03:32 PM
First consider a programs business plan and proceed. Is the plan to base a pass attack based on precision of patterns only? Is the plan to run patterns and adjust during the play evolution? Some attacks demand strict compliance to precision patterns to get spacing with the QB reading coverage. This puts the weight on the QB. Some attacks allow some WR discretion with the patterns like bending the patterns on verticals. The receivers, in some attacks, seek voids in the coverage as a priority. The receivers are responsible to get positioned and not necessarily open. This puts more on the receiver and less on the QB thus a program has developed a 50-50 game? In a programs business plan, is there an acceptably time budget to practice 50-50 balls or does the program use up all the practice time on precision so the coach and quarterback are the focal point of everything and not the receiver? Elite receivers take notice of things like this. Hope we get some of this.

sleepy dawg
08-01-2018, 03:54 PM

I forgot Michael Carr ever existed until you posted that. What ever happened to him?

RocketDawg
08-01-2018, 04:12 PM
I forgot Michael Carr ever existed until you posted that. What ever happened to him?

Cool avatar. He was really zonked, huh? :)

DanDority
08-01-2018, 04:13 PM

I did too, till I googled him. He played 4 years. Best year was his Freshman season.

deltadawg99
08-01-2018, 06:45 PM
I think the highest rated WRs we signed in the last few years were that made it to campus or didn’t switch to TE were:
Whop
Dear
Ross
Morrow - hard to believe he was a 4* because he couldn’t catch at all
Bumphis

Bear wasn’t highly rated but obviously developed nicely and Fred Brown was making nice strides until he stepped in a pile of dumbass and got kicked out of school. I think he spent last year on the Colts practice squad and is now with the Rams.

It’s still infuriating to think what could have been in 2015 if Bear & Jrob don’t go pro and if Fred Brown didn’t get kicked out of school.

sleepy dawg
08-01-2018, 07:28 PM
I think the highest rated WRs we signed in the last few years were that made it to campus or didn?t switch to TE were:
Whop
Dear
Ross
Morrow - hard to believe he was a 4* because he couldn?t catch at all
Bumphis

Bear wasn?t highly rated but obviously developed nicely and Fred Brown was making nice strides until he stepped in a pile of dumbass and got kicked out of school. I think he spent last year on the Colts practice squad and is now with the Rams.

It?s still infuriating to think what could have been in 2015 if Bear & Jrob don?t go pro and if Fred Brown didn?t get kicked out of school.

I don't follow recruiting very closely, but I had a distinct memory of being super stoked about Joe Morrow. I just remember he was a highly rated recruit and really tall. I thought he was going to be huge for us. Then he became known as stone hands.

Pit Bull
08-02-2018, 07:59 AM

Of that group, the best one I have observed is Austin Williams. Incredible hands and good speed. Have heard he may be our wideout threat.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-02-2018, 08:33 AM
Whop was/is a stud

Welp..that didnt take long.

Jack Lambert
08-02-2018, 09:05 AM
I know Dear and Mixon can catch. I feel pretty good with those guys. Couch and Jackson all showed (at times) they can be big time receivers last season. They got size and speed. They just need some technique improvement and I don't think they were getting it from the last staff. In order for Coach Joe's offense to work they are going to have to get better and they will with this staff. I think our TE's are going to big part of our passing game going forward and they did pretty good last season when they did get thrown to. Then add in Guidry and Williams into the mix this season, I think Fitz is going to have a really big year.