PDA

View Full Version : OT - Bulldog Deli

Lord McBuckethead
07-31-2018, 04:47 PM
Man I miss that place. The "Bulldog" sandwich was awesome. Wish the bulldog burger place would pick up that sandwich. I would eat there every week. As it is now, I only eat there about once every 3 months or so.

ScoobaDawg
07-31-2018, 05:21 PM
Always loved swinging by there to hang out with Hobie for a bit especially when he was giving away free food on Facebook or twitter.

What was on the bulldog?

Lord McBuckethead
07-31-2018, 08:53 PM
Kielbasa

Dawg2003
07-31-2018, 09:35 PM
I worked there in college. Some people there were fans of the 10 second rule. If was a fun place though. Hobie was a fun boss. A lot of people sleeping together in that place like any restaurant in a college town. I worked at Oby's for a few years too and got myself into some trouble having relationships with co-workers. Those were some fun days. Oby's is the cleanest restaurant I've ever worked in, and they make everything from scratch down to their honey mustard.

Skydawg1
07-31-2018, 09:42 PM
I worked there in college. Some people there were fans of the 10 second rule. If was a fun place though. Hobie was a fun boss. A lot of people sleeping together in that place like any restaurant in a college town. I worked at Oby's for a few years too and got myself into some trouble having relationships with co-workers. Those were some fun days. Oby's is the cleanest restaurant I've ever worked in, and they make everything from scratch down to their honey mustard.Hey, does Oby's make their own poboy bread? That is some good bread.

NWADAWG
07-31-2018, 09:53 PM
The original McAllister's.

Dawg2003
07-31-2018, 10:10 PM
Hey, does Oby's make their own poboy bread? That is some good bread.

They don't make their own bread from scratch. I didn't even think about that actually. It's imported from Italy. I can't remember the brand though; it's been too long. I will ad add that they don't make their own waffle fries either. They do make their own breading for chicken tenders, fried shrimp, ect.

Skydawg1
07-31-2018, 10:29 PM
They don't make their own bread from scratch. I didn't even think about that actually. It's imported from Italy. I can't remember the brand though; it's been too long. I will ad add that they don't make their own waffle fries either. They do make their own breading for chicken tenders, fried shrimp, ect.Italian..as in Gambino's? Just wondering..thanks for replying. It is the perfect french bread IMO.

Homedawg
07-31-2018, 10:30 PM

Most don't know this, but you are correct. But they never matched Bulldog deli for quality imo

Dawg2003
07-31-2018, 10:47 PM
Italian..as in Gambino's? Just wondering..thanks for replying. It is the perfect french bread IMO.

If I had to guess, I would say Gambino's. But I'm not 100 percent sure. I actually thought Gambino's when you first asked but then second guessed myself.

Dawg2003
07-31-2018, 10:51 PM
Most don't know this, but you are correct. But they never matched Bulldog deli for quality imo

The Deli was so much better than McAlister's ever could be. The only bad part of that job was having to park on University Drive.

Cooterpoot
08-01-2018, 12:01 AM
I worked at Oby's for a few years too and got myself into some trouble having relationships with co-workers.

So, you?re saying the sloppy roast beef at Obys was better than the Bulldog at the Deli?

Pit Bull
08-01-2018, 05:58 AM
Obys was my favorite in Vegas for a long long time.

Tbonewannabe
08-01-2018, 09:19 AM
Man I miss that place. The "Bulldog" sandwich was awesome. Wish the bulldog burger place would pick up that sandwich. I would eat there every week. As it is now, I only eat there about once every 3 months or so.

The Bulldog sandwich was probably the best sandwich from any sandwich place. I do love the Muffaletta from Obys but the Bulldog was the best.

Cooterpoot
08-01-2018, 09:48 AM

The original Sweet Peppers.

fishwater99
08-01-2018, 10:12 AM

The Big Nasty!!!

Dawg61
08-01-2018, 11:33 AM
Bulldog Deli had a lot of great sandwiches. Muffalatta, Club, Chicken Club, but by far the greatest item on the menu was the loaded potatoes. They'd take two giant potatoes cut about 1/5th of the ends off and stick them together and then load it full of ham, turkey, bacon, cheese, olives, sour cream and chives. So good! I could probably design another Deli if y'all really want one again. PM me for price**

RocketDawg
08-01-2018, 04:37 PM
Bulldog Deli had a lot of great sandwiches. Muffalatta, Club, Chicken Club, but by far the greatest item on the menu was the loaded potatoes. They'd take two giant potatoes cut about 1/5th of the ends off and stick them together and then load it full of ham, turkey, bacon, cheese, olives, sour cream and chives. So good! I could probably design another Deli if y'all really want one again. PM me for price**

What'd they do with the center 3/5 of the potato?

RocketDawg
08-01-2018, 04:40 PM
They don't make their own bread from scratch. I didn't even think about that actually. It's imported from Italy. I can't remember the brand though; it's been too long. I will ad add that they don't make their own waffle fries either. They do make their own breading for chicken tenders, fried shrimp, ect.

Must get stale on the trip over ....

RocketDawg
08-01-2018, 04:42 PM
Why do places like Oby's and Bulldog Deli go out of business? They seemed to be really popular with the students, and from the one time that I was at the Deli, it was really good.

HotMop
08-01-2018, 04:44 PM
Why do places like Oby's and Bulldog Deli go out of business? They seemed to be really popular with the students, and from the one time that I was at the Deli, it was really good.

Oby's went out of business?

RocketDawg
08-01-2018, 06:34 PM

Not sure. I assumed so based on Posts 12 & 13 in this thread since they're in past tense.

BrunswickDawg
08-01-2018, 06:57 PM

Not sure. I assumed so based on Posts 12 & 13 in this thread since they're in past tense.

Obys is alive and well. Still good food and always packed.

NWADAWG
08-01-2018, 08:12 PM
Obys was my favorite in Vegas for a long long time.

The shrimp poboy was my Obys go to.

Homedawg
08-01-2018, 08:45 PM
The original Sweet Peppers.

The original both.... peppers would never have been had Robin fant- original owner of bulldog deli not walked away from
McAlister's.

DawgFromOxford
08-01-2018, 09:07 PM
They'd take two giant potatoes cut about 1/5th of the ends off and stick them together and then load it full of ham, turkey, bacon, cheese, olives, sour cream and chives. Now known as the spud max at McAllisters

Dawg61
08-01-2018, 09:52 PM
What'd they do with the center 3/5 of the potato?

The middle 4/5ths of both potatoes are pushed together and sliced down the middle. Then you open up the two potatoes made into one giant potato and it creates a bowl where you stuff all the goodies. Pop it in the steamer for 1:00 so the cheese melts. Shit is delicious. The two ends of the potatoes are thrown out. Probably could keep them and make a bomb ass loaded potato soup with them but when the line is out the door with hungover hungry college kids it and you got college kids making the food it's just not really feasible that the cooks will save the ends of the potatoes.

I doubt it went out of business because of lack of sales. More likely is the owner gets tired of having to be married to the restaurant 365 days outta the year and just wants some freedom from it. Go 20+ years in a row with constantly having to think about a restaurant can get tired for anyone.

viverlibre
08-01-2018, 11:18 PM
Never mind

Tbonewannabe
08-02-2018, 07:51 AM
The middle 4/5ths of both potatoes are pushed together and sliced down the middle. Then you open up the two potatoes made into one giant potato and it creates a bowl where you stuff all the goodies. Pop it in the steamer for 1:00 so the cheese melts. Shit is delicious. The two ends of the potatoes are thrown out. Probably could keep them and make a bomb ass loaded potato soup with them but when the line is out the door with hungover hungry college kids it and you got college kids making the food it's just not really feasible that the cooks will save the ends of the potatoes.

I doubt it went out of business because of lack of sales. More likely is the owner gets tired of having to be married to the restaurant 365 days outta the year and just wants some freedom from it. Go 20+ years in a row with constantly having to think about a restaurant can get tired for anyone.

I have friends who own a restaurant and this is exactly the case. They were coming to every football game while he was helping run his family's restaurant but now that they opened their own we only see them when we go there to eat. They love it but they both had worked in restaurants almost their entire life so they knew what they were getting into.