PDA

View Full Version : Ole Miss has 24 commitments...

Jack Lambert
07-30-2018, 10:10 AM
Are they holding that last spot for Dean and or Jackson? Also Florida is at 37th. Mullen must going to finish strong.

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2018, 10:10 AM
They will be cutting guys loose.

Cooterpoot
07-30-2018, 10:36 AM
They aren't getting Dean or Jackson.

Tbonewannabe
07-30-2018, 10:56 AM
So are they done with their penalites? You can only sign 25 max now or am I not understanding the new rules correctly. I thought the new rules were that you couldn't count backwards anymore and you couldn't sign over 25. There isn't a sign and place anymore. So is UM back to max schollies?

BiscuitEater
07-30-2018, 11:13 AM
They will be cutting guys loose.

Yancy said it best ..'It's all for show and keeping OM in the news.' They will be 'weeding out' commits as soon as they get >25 guys on the hook.

Surely, the REST of the SEC is going to keep using ole Fancy's post from Spirit to point out just how 'ethical' OM recruiting continues to be to all 'cruits.

confucius say
07-30-2018, 11:15 AM
So are they done with their penalites? You can only sign 25 max now or am I not understanding the new rules correctly. I thought the new rules were that you couldn't count backwards anymore and you couldn't sign over 25. There isn't a sign and place anymore. So is UM back to max schollies?

You can count December signees backwards. You can sign 25 in a calendar year.

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2018, 11:21 AM
Yancy said it best ..'It's all for show and keeping OM in the news.' They will be 'weeding out' commits as soon as they get >25 guys on the hook.

Surely, the REST of the SEC is going to keep using ole Fancy's post from Spirit to point out just how 'ethical' OM recruiting continues to be to all 'cruits.

Unethical or not, it was a pretty smart strategy. Here's why:

- OM had no clue how they would recruit this year. While obviously hopeful, they couldn't be sure how they would be perceived.
- To combat that, they decided to eat up a bunch of mid 3 star croots early in an effort to set the floor of their class. Guys like Bryce Ramsey, the Tupelo WR, etc.
- It was smart to eat up that market early because, as better recruiting schools begin to miss on guys, OM will have the upper hand by already having the other school's fall back plans committed.
- Then, if they just happen to recruit better than they thought, they cut loose the mid-3 stars one by one.

They were just acting in their best interest. It'll be interesting to see if you go after any of their mid 3 stars late & to see the response from those players.

Tbonewannabe
07-30-2018, 12:44 PM
You can count December signees backwards. You can sign 25 in a calendar year.

I thought the new rules this year did away with that.

confucius say
07-30-2018, 01:18 PM
I thought the new rules this year did away with that.

They did away with counting back across the calendar. So you can't count feb signees back to the previous year.

Turfdawg67
07-30-2018, 02:31 PM
They aren't getting Dean or Jackson.

I'm just gonna start saying stuff like this just like everyone else. And then when a Dannis flips, all I have to say is "Hey, things change".

Tbonewannabe
07-30-2018, 03:31 PM
They did away with counting back across the calendar. So you can't count feb signees back to the previous year.

You could never count a February 2019 signee in February 2018. What you could do is have 25 signees in February but only 22 get into school. You then could sign 3 December signees and have them count in the Feb 2018 class instead of the 2019 class. Basically signing someone that will enroll in 2019 but actually counts in the previous class.

This is what I thought the new rules did away with along with making the 25 signing a hard number. If you sign 25 players then if someone has to go Juco, it doesn't allow coaches to replace that signee. At least that is the way I thought the rule worked.

Ari Gold
07-30-2018, 03:36 PM
Numbers will work out for every school. UM will dump some kids to hit the number if they need too.
I wonder if High school coaches will rip Luke like a certain coach did a few years ago when CDM dropped a kid from Oxford months before signing day... and will the CL and DJ make it front page news.. ??
my guess is not a chance in hell.

confucius say
07-30-2018, 04:47 PM
You could never count a February 2019 signee in February 2018. What you could do is have 25 signees in February but only 22 get into school. You then could sign 3 December signees and have them count in the Feb 2018 class instead of the 2019 class. Basically signing someone that will enroll in 2019 but actually counts in the previous class.

This is what I thought the new rules did away with along with making the 25 signing a hard number. If you sign 25 players then if someone has to go Juco, it doesn't allow coaches to replace that signee. At least that is the way I thought the rule worked.

I think you're right on the counting back in that it use to be December back to February and that it could be done to replace guys who were signed in February but had to go to juco. That is no longer allowed. You lose a guy to juco and you lose that scholly for that cycle.

But if you only sign 23 in February 2018, you can sign 2 in December 2018 and that puts you at 25 for the 2018 calendar year. You can then sign 25 more February 2019, so it is like getting 27 in the December 2018/February 2019 cycle.

That is how it was explained to me.

Tbonewannabe
07-30-2018, 05:56 PM
I think you're right on the counting back in that it use to be December back to February and that it could be done to replace guys who were signed in February but had to go to juco. That is no longer allowed. You lose a guy to juco and you lose that scholly for that cycle.

But if you only sign 23 in February 2018, you can sign 2 in December 2018 and that puts you at 25 for the 2018 calendar year. You can then sign 25 more February 2019, so it is like getting 27 in the December 2018/February 2019 cycle.

That is how it was explained to me.

Ok, that makes sense. You just can't sign 25 in February or else that signing class is done. Back to my original question, is UM done with their schollie sanctions? If they can sign 25 then that is the lightest penalties in the history of the NCAA for Level 1 violations. That wouldn't even be a slap on the wrist, more like a Memphis hooker handjob.

Thick
07-31-2018, 06:53 AM
Ok, that makes sense. You just can't sign 25 in February or else that signing class is done. Back to my original question, is UM done with their schollie sanctions? If they can sign 25 then that is the lightest penalties in the history of the NCAA for Level 1 violations. That wouldn't even be a slap on the wrist, more like a Memphis hooker handjob.

They will be hit with the one visit per year sanction soon. It doesn’t matter if it’s official or unofficial, it has to be reported to the NCAA by the school. This will take place once their appeal is denied. That’s a pretty big penalty!

Tbonewannabe
07-31-2018, 10:15 AM
They will be hit with the one visit per year sanction soon. It doesn’t matter if it’s official or unofficial, it has to be reported to the NCAA by the school. This will take place once their appeal is denied. That’s a pretty big penalty!

So what happens if the player just comes down to hang out with guys on the team and doesn't interact at all with the coaches? Are the players expected to report the recruit just coming to Oxford?

Thick
07-31-2018, 10:58 AM
It’s a slippery slope bc of the social media aspect of it as well. Hard to keep kids for spilling their guts for everyone to see. Visiting players regardless of coaches involvement could be considered an unofficial visit.

Turfdawg67
07-31-2018, 10:59 AM
delete