PDA

View Full Version : John Emery with the curveball..

BankerDog
07-29-2018, 04:35 PM
Commits to UGA.

Doggie_Style
07-29-2018, 04:37 PM
Yup....next

Homedawg
07-29-2018, 04:38 PM
Lesson. Do not listen to rosebowl. Period.

Cooterpoot
07-29-2018, 04:38 PM
Lol...only RB....lol
He can get in line there.

Ari Gold
07-29-2018, 04:43 PM
But but but I thought everyone said LSU ..
this isn’t over . By a long shot

KOdawg1
07-29-2018, 04:45 PM
At least it wasn't LSU.

msstate7
07-29-2018, 04:46 PM
this isn’t over . By a long shot

Yep. LSU still has time

Big4Dawg
07-29-2018, 04:47 PM
this isn?t over . By a long shot

But but but I thought everyone said State and don't worry....

KOdawg1
07-29-2018, 04:48 PM
But but but I thought everyone said State and don't worry....
I don't think anyone said not to worry. They said it was looking good for us. And it was. Now, not so much. Shit changes.

Big4Dawg
07-29-2018, 04:51 PM
I don't think anyone said not to worry. They said it was looking good for us. And it was. Now, not so much. Shit changes.

Multiple people said not to worry when he pushed back his commitment date

Bothrops
07-29-2018, 04:53 PM
Wow Emery fooled some folks. What a show...what a show.

Ari Gold
07-29-2018, 04:53 PM

Yep and I was one of them .. Has he signed yet ??? It’s recruiting sorry I can’t bat .1000
Better for us in numerous ways he is committed to UGA than LSU

KOdawg1
07-29-2018, 04:57 PM
Yep and I was one of them .. Has he signed yet ??? It’s recruiting sorry I can’t bat .1000
Damn you Ari, you sonofab***h, you're only right 98% of the time. Get your shit together! **

Doggie_Style
07-29-2018, 04:58 PM

....as you and IYOK go down with the ship I can still hear y?all sing in unison ?Relax...It?s Not Over...We?re fine!....LOL

DownwardDawg
07-29-2018, 05:18 PM
Better for us in numerous ways he is committed to UGA than LSU

Bring back “the list”!!!!!!!!

yjnkdawg
07-29-2018, 06:09 PM
I'm sure glad the curve ball was thrown by GA and not LSU. I think we may can hit GA's curve ball later in the recruiting season, but possibly not LSU's , with all the local pressure, and all.

Ari Gold
07-29-2018, 06:24 PM
I'm sure glad the curve ball was thrown by GA and not LSU. I think we may can hit GA's curve ball later in the recruiting season, but possibly not LSU's , with all the local pressure, and all.

Somebody understands recruiting a little and different scenarios that could pan out.. and if it ends up being UGA in the end well good luck to the kid and I hope we see him Atl..

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-29-2018, 06:24 PM
Guys, it's over. I'm sorry but it is. How many 5 and 4* did they commit last year? And how many of them flipped? Not a one that I know of, certainly not a high % either way. So we can pretend like the pitch of "But Zamir White is ahead of him!" or "Athens of so far away", or "Huff coached Saquan" will work, but the fact is UGA is a monster in recruiting and they don't let guys get away once they decide. Emery is gone. Not saying UGA does it anywhere close to legal (honestly, they probably put OM to shame), but either way he's not likely to flip. Just glad we don't have to play him and that our staff knows the true lay of the land. Emery has made it clear this whole time he wan't to shut it down after he commits, he's never been the type you'd expect to flip.

Some have said Gray is not happy with his Michigan pledge; anyone with actual knowledge want to chime in on him?

msstate7
07-29-2018, 06:28 PM
Guys, it's over. I'm sorry but it is. How many 5 and 4* did they commit last year? And how many of them flipped? Not a one that I know of, certainly not a high % either way. So we can pretend like the pitch of "But Zamir White is ahead of him!" or "Athens of so far away", but the fact is UGA is monsters in recruiting and they don't let guys get away. Emery is gone. Not saying UGA does it anywhere close to legal (honestly, they probably put OM to shame), but either way he's not likely to flip. Just glad we don't have to play him and that our staff knows the true lay of the land

We were the favorites for forever, and then boom, 1 trip... it ova. I agree... we ain't flipping an out of state kid from Georgia. If anyone flips him, it'll be LSU bc of home state advantage

Doggie_Style
07-29-2018, 06:29 PM

UGA can only hand the ball off to one of their 5* RB’s at a time....yea I prefer UGA having him to LSU...the question has been for awhile now who will we target now? I would love to see Gray but do we have a realistic shot.

Bothrops
07-29-2018, 06:30 PM
I will be surprised if Emery doesn't stick with UGA.

Bothrops
07-29-2018, 06:36 PM
UGA can only hand the ball off to one of their 5* RB’s at a time....yea I prefer UGA having him to LSU...the question has been for awhile now who will we target now? I would love to see Gray but do we have a realistic shot.

I can't see how we wouldn't have a huge shot at a Memphis kid, playing in JoMo's offense and the SEC. I have a feeling, however, that it will eventually come down to us and Arkansas for Gray. Watch and see.

yjnkdawg
07-29-2018, 06:40 PM
Guys, it's over. I'm sorry but it is. How many 5 and 4* did they commit last year? And how many of them flipped? Not a one that I know of, certainly not a high % either way. So we can pretend like the pitch of "But Zamir White is ahead of him!" or "Athens of so far away", or "Huff coached Saquan" will work, but the fact is UGA is a monster in recruiting and they don't let guys get away once they decide. Emery is gone. Not saying UGA does it anywhere close to legal (honestly, they probably put OM to shame), but either way he's not likely to flip. Just glad we don't have to play him and that our staff knows the true lay of the land. Emery has made it clear this whole time he wan't to shut it down after he commits, he's never been the type you'd expect to flip.

I highly doubt that GA has to recruit the same way OM did to get the high rated players, that they did. OM's recruiting machine, "The Network" was running along smoothly, and doing fine till they put their little boat out in the deeper waters with the big boats.

confucius say
07-29-2018, 06:40 PM

Can you name a few? Serious question. Bc I missed that.

somebodyshotmypaw
07-29-2018, 06:41 PM
Lesson. Do not listen to rosebowl. Period.

Why? Because he can't accurately predict the future? Steve brings the best info he has at the time. Sometimes he's wrong. Sometimes things change. It's like people on this board (such as Ari Gold). They bring the best info they have, and I appreciate it. But these situations are fluid, things change, kids waver. All indications are that we were Emery's clear favorite at the time that Steve was reporting that we were a clear favorite. So Steve was right at the time. Things cooled over the last two months. It happens. We go to Plan B. And maybe Emery changes his mind later and flips to someone else.

confucius say
07-29-2018, 06:51 PM
He has been in Athens for 3 days on a vi$it. Let's just see what happens when he gets back home to L$Uisiana.

yjnkdawg
07-29-2018, 06:53 PM
I will be surprised if Emery doesn't stick with UGA.

UGA has a lot to offer, but it may have been an emotional decision, too. That does happen. I think his Dad likes us, he likes our coaches and he is friends with some of our players. I still think it is a better shot for us with GA than LSU, but I guess we will see what if anything happens later on down the recruiting road.

ShotgunDawg
07-29-2018, 06:54 PM
I highly doubt that GA has to recruit the same way OM did to get the high rated players, that they did. OM's recruiting machine, "The Network" was running along smoothly, and doing fine till they put their little boat out in the deeper waters with the big boats.

This is BS and the exact reason why blue bloods continue to get away with it.

How else do you explain 5 star willing to go back up 5 Stars while playing the same schedule as other SEC schools?

At some point it becomes about status and ego. Ridiculous

yjnkdawg
07-29-2018, 07:07 PM
This is BS and the exact reason why blue bloods continue to get away with it.

How else do you explain 5 star willing to go back up 5 Stars while playing the same schedule as other SEC schools?

At some point it becomes about status and ego. Ridiculous

So you don't think it is easier to recruit high 4's or 5*'s to GA than it is to OM? That is what i said. I didn't say GA didn't use other methods. Reading comprehension is very much needed sometimes.

starkvegasdawg
07-29-2018, 07:13 PM

Some have said Gray is not happy with his Michigan pledge; anyone with actual knowledge want to chime in on him?

Tunsil sends his regards.

somebodyshotmypaw
07-29-2018, 07:14 PM
The biggest thing we need right now is to show results. We say this offense is more wideout friendly (Mingo and Jackson), we say we can showcase a running back (Emery), we say we can compete for a championship. We need the season to start and show these things with actual proof. Right now it's empty promises and Moorhead has yet to win a single game. His vaunted offense hasn't scratched out a single first down or scored a single TD. We need to whip Florida and Auburn and LSU and Ole Miss and show these guys something.

somebodyshotmypaw
07-29-2018, 07:18 PM

I know for a fact that Gray is very happy with Michigan. I also know for a fact that he is starting to talk about the northern weather and the distance from home. Gray is happy with Michigan, but his mind can certainly be changed. He has an eye on his options. He's questioning his own decision.

Doggie_Style
07-29-2018, 08:28 PM
Completely agree!

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-29-2018, 08:37 PM
So you don't think it is easier to recruit high 4's or 5*'s to GA than it is to OM? That is what i said. I didn't say GA didn't use other methods. Reading comprehension is very much needed sometimes.

Obviously it is. But they are also pulling in guys that would put OM's best classes to shame.

Compare UGA's '18 and current '19 class to other blue bloods. FSU and UF will get a pass due to coaching turnover... UGA is blowing Bama, Auburn, LSU, Michigan, Clemson, Texas, Oklahoma, Miami, and Tennessee out of the water Ohio State is the only team that has kept op, and they have a more proven coach with less regional competition and a better history than UGA does. Seriously, They have FIVE 5* committed right now, which is as much as Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, A&M, and FSU have COMBINED

So it's not that UGA must be cheating a lot because they're getting better classes than OM, it's because they're destroying their peers. Even Saban isn't keeping up, he completely revamped his staff to try to handle this new recruiting monster and he's getting his ass beat this year again by the looks of it. I find it really hard to believe that Kirby Smart and co are really significantly more personable than almost any other blue blood staff... the only other option is that they are cheating more.

Think about it, a few days ago this board was saying that Emery would go to LSU because the boosters were putting on the pre$$ure. His Twitter has a new $30k Charger. If he was going from hot on State to hot on LSU because of their money, what was UGA selling him these past 3 days? "Yeah you'll only get like 40% of the caries and will have to wait a while to get them, but Atlanta is close!"? UGA is out cheating the other blue bloods, it's the only logical conclusion

Turfdawg67
07-29-2018, 08:45 PM
Stolen from Twitter (still can't figure out to embed a tweet)... this is sickening!

In 2019, UGA will be running junior 5-star RB D’Andre Swift, sophomore 5-star RBs Zamir White and James Cook, and freshman 5-star RB John Emery.

And they’ll be running behind a hoard of 5-star offensive lineman.

bulldawg28
07-29-2018, 08:57 PM
I know for a fact that Gray is very happy with Michigan. I also know for a fact that he is starting to talk about the northern weather and the distance from home. Gray is happy with Michigan, but his mind can certainly be changed. He has an eye on his options. He's questioning his own decision.

??? How can he happy and questioning his decision?

Bdawg
07-29-2018, 09:05 PM
UGA recruiting is a little too good to be true for sure. Thought they were underachieving a little under Richt with the talent in Ga. I thought a better coach would keep that instate talent at UGA and unlock their potentiality is the state, but Kirby has taken it to a level that I can't comprehend. I don't know of anyone except maybe Saban who can talk a 5 Star to come sit behind other 5 stars for maybe a couple years and exhaust 2 years of eligibility before seeing the field. I only know one explanation that makes sense to me. Hopefully it's not over for us with the kid but if it is I hope he stays at UGA. He will waste a couple years their anyway unless he is just all-world.

somebodyshotmypaw
07-29-2018, 09:11 PM
??? How can he happy and questioning his decision?

It's like having a job that you are happy and content with. But you also see another job that has an opening with better pay and better insurance. You think to yourself, "I'll interview for that other job to see what they have to offer. But if it doesn't pan out, I'm perfectly happy where I'm at."

He likes Michigan. But he also sees the advantage of being closer to home and is interested in opportunities at other places. Remember that when you get 30 scholarship offers, there isn't always 29 wrong schools and 1 right one. There might be 15 good opportunities out of those 30 and you can't go wrong with any of them. That's how life works.

He likes Michigan, but he's wondering if there might be something out there a little bit better. He will listen to other schools.

Jack Lambert
07-29-2018, 09:14 PM

I think last year it would be. Mullen would have moved on.

Todd4State
07-29-2018, 09:20 PM
The biggest thing we need right now is to show results. We say this offense is more wideout friendly (Mingo and Jackson), we say we can showcase a running back (Emery), we say we can compete for a championship. We need the season to start and show these things with actual proof. Right now it's empty promises and Moorhead has yet to win a single game. His vaunted offense hasn't scratched out a single first down or scored a single TD. We need to whip Florida and Auburn and LSU and Ole Miss and show these guys something.

This 100%.

ShotgunDawg
07-29-2018, 09:23 PM
Stolen from Twitter (still can't figure out to embed a tweet)... this is sickening!

In 2019, UGA will be running junior 5-star RB D’Andre Swift, sophomore 5-star RBs Zamir White and James Cook, and freshman 5-star RB John Emery.

And they’ll be running behind a hoard of 5-star offensive lineman.

They are cheating their asses off.

There is no way that anyone sane kid signs up for that depth chart. Absolutely lunacy

maroonmania
07-29-2018, 09:37 PM
They are cheating their asses off.

There is no way that anyone sane kid signs up for that depth chart. Absolutely lunacy

Exactly, 4 five star RBs in 3 recruiting classes? That's insane. There is only one football to go around.

Hambone
07-29-2018, 09:53 PM
They’ve done it for a while, even before Richt left. Georgia has always been an absolute RB factory. If you’re the best in the country why would you not go there?

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-29-2018, 10:02 PM
If you?re the best in the country why would you not go there?

... because you don't want to wait 2 years to ever see the field, split carries at best when you do, and possibly bet buried if one of the 3 5* RBs behind you are generational? The alternative is to come to a school like State (or even Auburn, they have solid RBs but not Emery level) and get carries in your first year with less risk of being left behind if you get injured. UGA has shown they can develop and NFL RB for sure, but that's not really a hard position to coach so a lot of places can get you there. Potential for rings is the biggest advantage they have but how sweet is it to win a ring if you're riding the bench?

msstate7
07-29-2018, 10:10 PM
... because you don't want to wait 2 years to ever see the field, split carries at best when you do, and possibly bet buried if one of the 3 5* RBs behind you are generational? The alternative is to come to a school like State (or even Auburn, they have solid RBs but not Emery level) and get carries in your first year with less risk of being left behind if you get injured. UGA has shown they can develop and NFL RB for sure, but that's not really a hard position to coach so a lot of places can get you there. Potential for rings is the biggest advantage they have but how sweet is it to win a ring if you're riding the bench?

Devil's advocate... if you're a 5-star, you are the best of the best. Each one probably feels they are better than the other one... Georgia probably plays this up by saying the better player will play no matter their class

ETA... with 2 of the best RBs in the country last season, Georgia still got 4 more RBs 50+ carries including a true freshman. By contrast, we got 2 RBs 50+ carries

ShotgunDawg
07-29-2018, 10:13 PM

THIS

The covering for blue bloods is ridiculous. It's pathetic how people can't think

ShotgunDawg
07-29-2018, 10:14 PM
Devil's advocate... if you're a 5-star, you are the best of the best. Each one probably feels they are better than the other one... Georgia probably plays this up by saying the better player will play no matter their class

ETA... with 2 of the best RBs in the country last season, Georgia still got 4 more RBs 50+ carries including a true freshman

Come mane.

There is no kid that grows up wanting to be in this depth chart situation. It's ridiculous that people can't see the obvious here

confucius say
07-29-2018, 10:18 PM
Tusk, time for the REC to get uga busted by the NCAA.

msstate7
07-29-2018, 10:18 PM
Come mane.

There is no kid that grows up wanting to be in this depth chart situation. It's ridiculous that people can't see the obvious here

I think everyone cheats. I can see the sell at Georgia though. Smart has revitalized that program... it's the hot program now. Even with 2 NFL RBs last season, Georgia got a true freshman 81 carries.

confucius say
07-29-2018, 10:22 PM
So starting next year uga will have the best talent in the country according to recruiting stars. Smart better start winnin the nattys.

ShotgunDawg
07-29-2018, 10:27 PM
I think everyone cheats. I can see the sell at Georgia though. Smart has revitalized that program... it's the hot program now. Even with 2 NFL RBs last season, Georgia got a true freshman 81 carries.

No, just no.

Everyone speeds, yes, but only blue bloods can get away with what they are currently doing.

Why? Because people like you give them the benefit of the doubt.

FWIW, I don't think the NCAA can stop this. I think the only way to create a more level playing field is to reduce scholarships. Instead of 85, reduce it to 70 total & you can sign 20 a year. That controls the problem immediately

ShotgunDawg
07-29-2018, 10:27 PM
So starting next year uga will have the best talent in the country according to recruiting stars. Smart better start winnin the nattys.

It's pretty obvious why they got rid of Richt

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-29-2018, 10:28 PM

Everyone cheats, but you have to ask "if they are all cheating at the same level, how come UGA is blowing all their peers out of the water?". This point isn't even about Emery specifically- UGA is blowing Texas, Bama, Oklahoma, Florida State, Clemson, and Auburn out of the water and while I get that it's a "hot" program, that also applies to Clemson and Texas. So what separates UGA? Saying Smart is the best recruiter only accounts for so much of the gap, but with a gap this big it doesn't account for all of it. The only conclusion I see is that they're cheating more than other blue bloods.

So, logically, this increased cheating would be extended to their #1 RB target. Whether you can excuse Emery himself because of UGA's pedigree of RB success, it doesn't account for the insane success with other 5* and high 4* targets relative to the other top programs

msstate7
07-29-2018, 10:29 PM
No, just no.

Everyone speeds, yes, but only blue bloods can get away with what they are currently doing.

FWIW, I don't think the NCAA can stop this. I think the only way to create a more level playing field is to reduce scholarships. Instead of 85, reduce it to 70 total & you can sign 20 a year. That controls the problem immediately

If you can't see why a kid would rather play at Georgia/bama/Ohio state than us, you probably are thinking with your heart too much

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-29-2018, 10:34 PM
No, just no.

I'm going to have to disagree with the scholarship part. All that would happen is that the blue bloods would cut the bottom 5 players each class (usually high 3*, sometimes low 4* too) and those players would bump the lowest 5/20 in say, our class. But UGA and Bama would still have same number of 5 and high/medium 4s, and on average they will still beat the low 4/high 3s that got the axe.

It might help a small amount, but there will still be the same incentives to cheat as is there now and UGA would have the same number of .95+ rated guys as they would anyway

msstate7
07-29-2018, 10:35 PM
If we would've gotten emery, good clean recruiting by an outstanding staff.

Georgia got emery bc they are low down, rotten cheaters

ShotgunDawg
07-29-2018, 10:44 PM
If you can't see why a kid would rather play at Georgia/bama/Ohio state than us, you probably are thinking with your heart too much

That's the not the question here. I completely realize why a kid would rather play for UGA, Bama, & OSU over us.

The question though is why would he rather play for UGA, Bama, & OSU over us so much that he'd enter into a depth chart of numerous other 5 star RBs when he could be the man at MSU playing the same schedule in the same conference.

Also, you realize we led for this guy 2 weeks ago... right? Are you telling me that he JUST decided he would rather play for UGA, LSU, or OSU over us?

Think about that.

ShotgunDawg
07-29-2018, 10:45 PM
If we would've gotten emery, good clean recruiting by an outstanding staff.

Georgia got emery bc they are low down, rotten cheaters

Well, they obviously outbid whatever we were offering.

ShotgunDawg
07-29-2018, 10:47 PM
I'm going to have to disagree with the scholarship part. All that would happen is that the blue bloods would cut the bottom 5 players each class (usually high 3*, sometimes low 4* too) and those players would bump the lowest 5/20 in say, our class. But UGA and Bama would still have same number of 5 and high/medium 4s, and on average they will still beat the low 4/high 3s that got the axe.

It might help a small amount, but there will still be the same incentives to cheat as is there now and UGA would have the same number of .95+ rated guys as they would anyway

Maybe. It would help though.

College football teams don't need 85 scholarships. 70 would be plenty.

I don't think you can remove the incentives to cheat & I don't think they NCAA is capable of stopping it. Therefore, I think all the NCAA can do is try to create rules that hopefully make it impossible to UGA to hoard 4-5 5* running backs on their roster.

ShotgunDawg
07-29-2018, 11:05 PM
Personally, I think Emery is just bleeding LSU for every dime & that they'll eventually meet his price & he'll sign with them.

I can't help but wonder what would've happened had he remained a 4 star. Would we have gotten him?

Jarius
07-29-2018, 11:15 PM

I?m sure he was leaning to LSU when every recruiting expert out there started crystal balling him to LSU. Just like you don?t want people calling you out when shit changes with recruits, you could return the favor.

dantheman4248
07-29-2018, 11:35 PM
Not everything in life is factored by purely money.

Honestly, if his goal is to get to the NFL, he stands a way better chance of doing that by going to Georgia. He gets the competition to force himself to be better. The pedigree of knowledge offered by the school that has a solid history of running backs to the NFL. Plus he won?t be worn down by too many carries by the time he gets to the NFL.

There is a whole list of factors that can sway his decision. I?m sorry, but you?re looking through Maroon-colored glasses if you think he has no reason to go to Athens over Starkville other than money.

Irondawg
07-29-2018, 11:38 PM
Here's where we got into trouble with Emery. The guys we pay for information kept talking about how he was handling his recruitment much differently than other 18 year old kids. He was studying everything with the program, the coaches. That he wanted to be the only back in the class, that he only wanted to make one commitment, etc. Then we had the July 7 date and we were led to believe that was going to be us. So it was all coming together, we were about to land an out of state stud RB that didn't like LSU for a few reasons and he was going to be solid.

Then he went and showed out at the camp and got boosted to 5 star. Suddenly it's a circus. Remember, nothing changed in how good the kid was, nothing changed with any school recruiting him. But the hype train is in full force and suddenly LSU is the leader, UGA is offering and then the week he's supposed to go to LSU, he takes a trip to GA (his first to my knowledge) and basically commits on the spot. So everything we've been told about what he's basing the decision on and the process was blown up in the span of a week or two.

In this situation we just let ourselves get our hopes up way too high, so the crash was hard.

Pit Bull
07-29-2018, 11:42 PM
UGA can only hand the ball off to one of their 5* RB?s at a time....yea I prefer UGA having him to LSU...the question has been for awhile now who will we target now? I would love to see Gray but do we have a realistic shot.

Yep....the filthy rich add another gold bar to their Fort Knox stack of gold bars. What else is new? Looks like it's gonna be UGA vs BAMA in Hotlanta battling it out for the foreseeable future. No one else is gonna be anywhere close to those 2 program's talent level.

Pit Bull
07-29-2018, 11:47 PM
Personally, I think Emery is just bleeding LSU for every dime & that they'll eventually meet his price & he'll sign with them.

I can't help but wonder what would've happened had he remained a 4 star. Would we have gotten him?

Had he committed to us, he would have dropped to a 3 star.

MarketingBully
07-30-2018, 12:38 AM

Honestly, if his goal is to get to the NFL, he stands a way better chance of doing that by going to Georgia. He gets the competition to force himself to be better. The pedigree of knowledge offered by the school that has a solid history of running backs to the NFL. Plus he won?t be worn down by too many carries by the time he gets to the NFL.

There is a whole list of factors that can sway his decision. I?m sorry, but you?re looking through Maroon-colored glasses if you think he has no reason to go to Athens over Starkville other than money.

We would use Emery the exact same way our guys used Barkley at Penn State. Did Barkley get run down? Did that hurt his draft stock? I don’t think the UGA commitment will stick. In interviews, this kid was all over the place. Emery is more like a Barkley type bag then Chubb/Michel. I agree with IYOK. This recruitment isn’t over and I think we still have a shot.

MarketingBully
07-30-2018, 12:42 AM
Here's where we got into trouble with Emery. The guys we pay for information kept talking about how he was handling his recruitment much differently than other 18 year old kids. He was studying everything with the program, the coaches. That he wanted to be the only back in the class, that he only wanted to make one commitment, etc. Then we had the July 7 date and we were led to believe that was going to be us. So it was all coming together, we were about to land an out of state stud RB that didn't like LSU for a few reasons and he was going to be solid.

Then he went and showed out at the camp and got boosted to 5 star. Suddenly it's a circus. Remember, nothing changed in how good the kid was, nothing changed with any school recruiting him. But the hype train is in full force and suddenly LSU is the leader, UGA is offering and then the week he's supposed to go to LSU, he takes a trip to GA (his first to my knowledge) and basically commits on the spot. So everything we've been told about what he's basing the decision on and the process was blown up in the span of a week or two.

In this situation we just let ourselves get our hopes up way too high, so the crash was hard.

None of that is true. It’s always been an MSU/UGA battle. The only curveball that was thrown in was him being interested in LSU all of a sudden. It was always an MSU/UGA battle though.

Matt3467
07-30-2018, 07:26 AM
We could potentially have the best WR (Brown) and the best RB (Akers) in the country if we could just recruit our state. Heck one was even in our own backyard! I'm not worried about Emery. It's not unbelievable that we didn't land a 5* OOS kid. If we could just recruit our state then I believe we could win our conference.

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2018, 07:43 AM

Really, a way better chance at UGA than MSU?

I would expect nothing less from a segment of our fan base.

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2018, 07:46 AM

Great post.

Pathetic how recruiting works.

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2018, 07:47 AM
We could potentially have the best WR (Brown) and the best RB (Akers) in the country if we could just recruit our state. Heck one was even in our own backyard! I'm not worried about Emery. It's not unbelievable that we didn't land a 5* OOS kid. If we could just recruit our state then I believe we could win our conference.

100% correct.

yjnkdawg
07-30-2018, 08:21 AM

I agree. Those schools have a long tradition of being national college football powers. If a kid doesn't mind competition , and apparently Emery doesn't, and believes that he is the best, then why not. As somebody said earlier, UGA has been known for a long time as getting elite running backs, and developing them for the next level, and they can get those highly recruited offensive line players to block for them. Emery's decision could have been an emotional decision, too. When the red carpet is placed in front of a recruit, and UGA can show him how running backs have excelled there and moved on to the next level, that means a lot to a potential recruit.

Irondawg
07-30-2018, 08:33 AM
None of that is true. It’s always been an MSU/UGA battle. The only curveball that was thrown in was him being interested in LSU all of a sudden. It was always an MSU/UGA battle though.

i'd have to go back and look but I thought I remembered reading constantly that the depth chart and distance to UGA were big barriers and thus they weren't really that much of a threat.

That said but as other have said developing NFL talent becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy if you sign Top 5 kids at a position every year.

But it is what it is.

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2018, 08:46 AM
That said but as other have said developing NFL talent becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy if you sign Top 5 kids at a position every year.

This

For whatever reason, many meathead MSU fans can't grasp this concept.

dantheman4248
07-30-2018, 08:53 AM
We would use Emery the exact same way our guys used Barkley at Penn State. Did Barkley get run down? Did that hurt his draft stock? I don’t think the UGA commitment will stick. In interviews, this kid was all over the place. Emery is more like a Barkley type bag then Chubb/Michel. I agree with IYOK. This recruitment isn’t over and I think we still have a shot.

I agree that the recruitment isn’t over. That wasn’t my point. There are plenty of reasons to come here. And this staff has 1 hit.

My point is that there are plenty of reasons to go to Georgia over Misssissippi State. Sure this staff had Barkley. But let’s look at Mississippi State in general. Two first round picks all time we’re spent on MSU halfbacks. One played one season in the 50s (Art David) and the other is often in conversation for Eagles worst draft pick ever (Michael Haddix). The best NFL running back from MSU is probably Boobie. That’s just simply bad.

Let’s compare to Georgia. Herschel Walker. Terrell Davis. Garrison Hearst. Hell, Knowshon Moreno. Oh yeah, Todd Gurley just got a crazy hefty deal. They even had one of their halfbacks turn out to be one of the best receivers for the Steelers (Hines Ward). Seriously. Only other colleges comparable to their track record are USC and maybe Wisoncsin.

The point is, we aren’t a perfect destination yet. We very well could be. But our staff has 0 wins currently. Georgia’s staff just got an SEC championship and lost in OT in the National Championship. We went 9-4. Much like Fletcher Cox’s deal is a huge recruiting sell, Gurley’s richest HB deal ever has a lot of sway. Is it a coincidence he committed so soon after that deal was inked?

StateDawg44
07-30-2018, 08:54 AM

This

It's not that hard to grasp at all really. I don't think there is anyone that is struggling to understand that.

But to think MSU is to that point as of today is the difference between your view point and the other "segment" of the MSU fanbase. So yeah, there would likely be a way better chance at UGA than MSU today.

dantheman4248
07-30-2018, 08:59 AM

I would expect nothing less than a rebuttal with no substance from you. Do you think I want it to be the case? Just look at the facts some times. You really think a school that’s best HB in the nfl was a special teamer for most of his career is the better spot than a place that has the richest HB contract in history + Herschel Walker + TD? You know how hard of a sell that is to someone who isn’t a State fan? Like objectively try to sell that. Seriously.

We got beat for now, but a good 10+ win season + Aeris and Kylin having great years could be a game changer. Recruitment isn’t over until he signs.

yjnkdawg
07-30-2018, 09:08 AM
This

LOL You are one to be talking about somebody not being able to grasp a concept. You should be our Football Recruiting Coordinator, and then you may see recruiting in the real world, from a different perspective, than from your fantasy message board recruiting concept.

Bothrops
07-30-2018, 09:08 AM
We won't ever land a 5* RB that's not out of Mississippi. Unfortunately guys like that come along about every 5-10 years in MS, whereas it's every year or two in Louisiana. It was either Akers or Hill in '17 and Hill was a little underrated, but we weren't going to get both.

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2018, 09:11 AM
It's not that hard to grasp at all really. I don't think there is anyone that is struggling to understand that.

But to think MSU is to that point as of today is the difference between your view point and the other "segment" of the MSU fanbase. So yeah, there would likely be a way better chance at UGA than MSU today.

UGA is recruiting 5 stars at RB though & 5 stars have an infinitely better chance of playing well in the NFL regardless of what school they attend.

MSU has done a wonderful job of developing RBs the should've never been drafted into draftable players.

You just can't say that because UGA has gotten 5 stars & turned them into good NFL players that a player is more likely to pan out at UGA than MSU. They are mutually exclusive.

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2018, 09:14 AM
I would expect nothing less than a rebuttal with no substance from you. Do you think I want it to be the case? Just look at the facts some times. You really think a school that’s best HB in the nfl was a special teamer for most of his career is the better spot than a place that has the richest HB contract in history + Herschel Walker + TD? You know how hard of a sell that is to someone who isn’t a State fan? Like objectively try to sell that. Seriously.

We got beat for now, but a good 10+ win season + Aeris and Kylin having great years could be a game changer. Recruitment isn’t over until he signs.

But you're giving UGA all the credit for turning these players out when they were all 5 star players or some of the most talented backs of their generation. That has nothing to do with UGA & everything to do with Herschal Walker's genetics.

That's like giving us credit for developing Jeffrey Simmons. Ridiculous. MSU has benefited way more from Simmons that we have benefited him. Simmons could've played at Alcorn & he was going to be an NFL player.

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2018, 09:15 AM
I would expect nothing less than a rebuttal with no substance from you. Do you think I want it to be the case? Just look at the facts some times. You really think a school that?s best HB in the nfl was a special teamer for most of his career is the better spot than a place that has the richest HB contract in history + Herschel Walker + TD? You know how hard of a sell that is to someone who isn?t a State fan? Like objectively try to sell that. Seriously.

We got beat for now, but a good 10+ win season + Aeris and Kylin having great years could be a game changer. Recruitment isn?t over until he signs.

But you're giving UGA all the credit for turning these players out when they were all 5 star players or some of the most talented backs of their generation. That has nothing to do with UGA & everything to do with Herschal Walker's genetics.

That's like giving us credit for developing Jeffrey Simmons. Ridiculous. MSU has benefited way more from Simmons that we have benefited him. Simmons could've played at Alcorn & he was going to be an NFL player.

Todd4State
07-30-2018, 09:15 AM
We won't ever land a 5* RB that's not out of Mississippi. Unfortunately guys like that come along about every 5-10 years in MS, whereas it's every year or two in Louisiana. It was either Akers or Hill in '17 and Hill was a little underrated, but we weren't going to get both.

I bet the odds of getting both would have been higher with Joe instead of Dan but we'll never know.

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2018, 09:16 AM
LOL You are one to be talking about somebody not being able to grasp a concept. You should be our Football Recruiting Coordinator, and then you may see recruiting in the real world, from a different perspective, than from your fantasy message board recruiting concept.

Haha. Ridiculous post

dantheman4248
07-30-2018, 09:22 AM

Knowshon Moreno and Todd Gurley were 4 stars.

It’s revionist history to say they were the most talented backs in their class. Your thinking that they were so great kinda proves the point that Georgia develops really well...

The slightest bit of fact checking and taking off your maroon glasses every now and then would go a long way for you to understand things realistically and not cry bloody unholy murder at anything that doesn’t go exactly MSU’s way.

StateDawg44
07-30-2018, 09:23 AM
UGA is recruiting 5 stars at RB though & 5 stars have an infinitely better chance of playing well in the NFL regardless of what school they attend.

MSU has done a wonderful job of developing RBs the should've never been drafted into draftable players.

You just can't say that because UGA has gotten 5 stars & turned them into good NFL players that a player is more likely to pan out at UGA than MSU. They are mutually exclusive.

I did just say that. We are talking about recruiting a 5* player aren't we?

Where are those drafted MSU HB's now?

Name one, just one MSU HB that has been exciting to watch in the NFL in the past decade. I'll give you two decades. Now look at UGA's HB history.

You think being surrounded by other 5* athletes on one team won't help you show out and stand out over surrounding your self by a team of really good players, but not 5*'s every where you turn? It's not like UGA only has 1 or 2 other 5* to compliment each other. They are loaded all over the board.

You sound like UF folks saying UF recruits itself.

Irondawg
07-30-2018, 10:18 AM
Gurley was a very high 4 star though and the #9 back in the nation. Nobody bats 1.000 but if you sign a top 10 nationally ranked back every year, you're going to be produce some 1st round picks and NFL guys.

That said you never know what really sways HS guys. I think the national championship aspirations sells really well though

msu15
07-30-2018, 10:32 AM

Rep given

BB30
07-30-2018, 04:34 PM
Haha. Ridiculous post

Lets try to get this to click...
UGA had 2 guys go over 1000 yds and another get up around 600. The depth chart isn't an issue for him if he is as good as expected(believe it or not competitors love to compete-he thinks he can be the guy not worried about a depth chart). They have more than enough carries to go around and he will take less of a beating year in and year out.

He will be running behind an O line that is flat out dominant. Ours is alright but will not compare to UGA's over the next couple of years.

He won't have to be the guy as a freshman. He can sit back and learn the offense getting limited carries. As a sophomore he can start to really get involved in the offense and by his Junior year he will be wide open.

A backs shelf life is pretty limited. Less carries in college theoretically means more carries making money.

He will more than likely get to compete for several SEC championships and possible NCs. Not saying he wouldn't get that chance here but I think we all can agree UGA has an easier route to the SECCG and a better team overall.

Athens>Starkville and I love Starkville it is a special place. But for everyone that isn't a State fan Athens will usually trump Starkville.

In the above there are several reasons a kid would select UGA over State despite being down the depth chart a bit. And as we have seen more recently, if it doesn't work out he will just transfer and find a home somewhere else.

My thoughts on why we were his #1 and then it seemed like other teams made a huge push is a pretty easy explanation. He blew up at the combine and some teams that were slow playing him decided he was just too good to pass up in favor of someone else. So they turned the heat up and went after him hard.

This isn't a debbie downer post. I think our program has come a long way and will continue to improve but we aren't to a point yet where we are going to go and land a 5* out of state prospect all that often. Who was the last 5* out of state player we landed? I can't remember? For those expecting this to change because we have a new staff are going to be pretty disappointed.

Lets keep winning and building this thing the right way. If we do that we will slowly start to land guys like this. Rome wasn't built in a day.

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2018, 04:50 PM
UGA had 2 guys go over 1000 yds and another get up around 600. The depth chart isn't an issue for him if he is as good as expected(believe it or not competitors love to compete-he thinks he can be the guy not worried about a depth chart). They have more than enough carries to go around and he will take less of a beating year in and year out.

He will be running behind an O line that is flat out dominant. Ours is alright but will not compare to UGA's over the next couple of years.

He won't have to be the guy as a freshman. He can sit back and learn the offense getting limited carries. As a sophomore he can start to really get involved in the offense and by his Junior year he will be wide open.

A backs shelf life is pretty limited. Less carries in college theoretically means more carries making money.

He will more than likely get to compete for several SEC championships and possible NCs. Not saying he wouldn't get that chance here but I think we all can agree UGA has an easier route to the SECCG and a better team overall.

Athens>Starkville and I love Starkville it is a special place. But for everyone that isn't a State fan Athens will usually trump Starkville.

In the above there are several reasons a kid would select UGA over State despite being down the depth chart a bit. And as we have seen more recently, if it doesn't work out he will just transfer and find a home somewhere else.

My thoughts on why we were his #1 and then it seemed like other teams made a huge push is a pretty easy explanation. He blew up at the combine and some teams that were slow playing him decided he was just too good to pass up in favor of someone else. So they turned the heat up and went after him hard.

This isn't a debbie downer post. I think our program has come a long way and will continue to improve but we aren't to a point yet where we are going to go and land a 5* out of state prospect all that often. Who was the last 5* out of state player we landed? I can't remember? For those expecting this to change because we have a new staff are going to be pretty disappointed.

Lets keep winning and building this thing the right way. If we do that we will slowly start to land guys like this. Rome wasn't built in a day.

You would make a good UGA recruiter. Glad you don't recruit for us

ScoobaDawg
07-30-2018, 05:33 PM

+Rep
Some people just don't get it.. so they instantly thinking it's cheating.

Goldendawg
07-30-2018, 09:17 PM
I can't see how we wouldn't have a huge shot at a Memphis kid, playing in JoMo's offense and the SEC. I have a feeling, however, that it will eventually come down to us and Arkansas for Gray. Watch and see.

Guys, what I know about recruiting comes from you guys, SPS, and what's free on Bulldogs 24/7. I checked Gray's info on 24/7. According to them Michigan has 11 RB's on the roster and 2 commits. He's not afraid of competition I'm sure but he has an offer from us along with about every SEC and Power 5 team in the country. Think we are on him still? As far as losing a 5* RB from La, that doesn't bother me near as much as the # of Ms guys going out of state this year. This is a rough recruiting year for MS talent. Glad we have JoMo and staff. Still a long way to go. Hail State!

Doggie_Style
07-30-2018, 09:39 PM
Guys, what I know about recruiting comes from you guys, SPS, and what's free on Bulldogs 24/7. I checked Gray's info on 24/7. According to them Michigan has 11 RB's on the roster and 2 commits. He's not afraid of competition I'm sure but he has an offer from us along with about every SEC and Power 5 team in the country. Think we are on him still? As far as losing a 5* RB from La, that doesn't bother me near as much as the # of Ms guys going out of state this year. This is a rough recruiting year for MS talent. Glad we have JoMo and staff. Still a long way to go. Hail State!
We have the best talent in Miss. this year than we have had in a long time. We are in contact with Gray and several others but we currently don’t lead for any. You could say the same for LB and Wr.

Goldendawg
07-30-2018, 10:21 PM
We have the best talent in Miss. this year than we have had in a long time. We are in contact with Gray and several others but we currently don’t lead for any. You could say the same for LB and Wr.

Recruiting link says Jackson just flipped to UM, 25 recruits, #13 in nation. Boy, this NCAA stuff is really hurting them.**** Meanwhile, we drop back to 19 and you say we don't lead for any other of our targets. I guess the meltdown starts now, (again). Long way to go. Who said this year in recruiting would be a rough ride, looks true.

Todd4State
07-30-2018, 10:33 PM

I get what you are doing. We have too many fans that are rational it makes it to the point where they unintentionally put MSU down.

Now I'm not going to get into the why someone should or shouldn't go to Georgia thing....but on our side we have the coach that just coached Saquon Barkley and put him in the NFL. I'd say that would be pretty attractive for a potential running back. Talking up Huff is a rational statement but it also doesn't put us or anyone else down.

Todd4State
07-30-2018, 10:36 PM
Recruiting link says Jackson just flipped to UM, 25 recruits, #13 in nation. Boy, this NCAA stuff is really hurting them.**** Meanwhile, we drop back to 19 and you say we don't lead for any other of our targets. I guess the meltdown starts now, (again). Long way to go. Who said this year in recruiting would be a rough ride, looks true.

I'll only meltdown at the end of the year if it's even warranted. I'm fairly certain we could just get commitments from 25 guys and move back ahead of them if we wanted to. Of course, I wouldn't advise that because dropping players can cause damage.

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2018, 10:49 PM
I get what you are doing. We have too many fans that are rational it makes it to the point where they unintentionally put MSU down.

Now I'm not going to get into the why someone should or shouldn't go to Georgia thing....but on our side we have the coach that just coached Saquon Barkley and put him in the NFL. I'd say that would be pretty attractive for a potential running back. Talking up Huff is a rational statement but it also doesn't put us or anyone else down.

Ding ding ding.

We have a winner.

If you give a typical MSU fan long enough, he'll let you know exactly why a player shouldn't attend MSU.

Ole Miss is delusional to a fault and we are realistic to such a fault that it screws with our ceiling and we get taken advantage of by the more creative, prideful type.

Pride is usually viewed as bad and humbleness good, but there is a point where it switches and the prideful man gets others to buy in and he humble man accepts lower standards

Goldendawg
07-30-2018, 11:13 PM
I'll only meltdown at the end of the year if it's even warranted. I'm fairly certain we could just get commitments from 25 guys and move back ahead of them if we wanted to. Of course, I wouldn't advise that because dropping players can cause damage.

I enjoy reading the opinions and info you guys have. I know their 25 commits are inflating the #13 ranking and several will pass them as classes fill up. What is bothering me is we only have 8 commits from the top 25 in Ms. with many more committed OOS & to OM. Very few of them are still uncommitted.

Commercecomet24
07-30-2018, 11:14 PM

Great post. Let it play out. Y'all remember the basketball and baseball season? Wound up playing out pretty dang good. This ain't Danny boys staff recruiting. We will be fine.

Goldendawg
07-30-2018, 11:33 PM
Great post. Let it play out. Y'all remember the basketball and baseball season? Wound up playing out pretty dang good. This ain't Danny boys staff recruiting. We will be fine.

Hope you are right. On the field results this year could change minds. I know OM won't stay at #13 as many other schools fill their classes. It is the # of this Ms HS class committed to OOS schools at this time that bothers me. My meltdown is over. Hail State!

Todd4State
07-30-2018, 11:35 PM
Ding ding ding.

We have a winner.

If you give a typical MSU fan long enough, he'll let you know exactly why a player shouldn't attend MSU.

Ole Miss is delusional to a fault and we are realistic to such a fault that it screws with our ceiling and we get taken advantage of by the more creative, prideful type.

Pride is usually viewed as bad and humbleness good, but there is a point where it switches and the prideful man gets others to buy in and he humble man accepts lower standards

And I could see some Georgia coach or GA or whoever looking at a MSU MB and telling Emery- "See even they think you should come here".

Personally, I think it's the MSU message board culture to call people out when they are wrong- including here- and I think it may cause some fans to be overly cautious about what they post that it sometimes goes too far in the other direction. That and years of being told "Well, we're never going to be any good at football anyway." I actually remember being a child and my Mom telling me that "We're good in baseball and we're not good in football." This was the 80's. I remember my parents telling my that MSU football will always let you down. I'm saying this because I'm sure other MSU fans have had similar discussions with their families growing up. And that has to change and it hopefully it already is.

Todd4State
07-30-2018, 11:43 PM
I enjoy reading the opinions and info you guys have. I know their 25 commits are inflating the #13 ranking and several will pass them as classes fill up. What is bothering me is we only have 8 commits from the top 25 in Ms. with many more committed OOS & to OM. Very few of them are still uncommitted.

But as of now we have four in state four star players to their three- and one of their three was at our camp this weekend. And this is before the season even starts- there are some 4 and even 5 star guys that we may flip or get to commit. We'll see. It's a long way to December and February. I think we're in pretty decent shape considering we haven't played a game yet. That said I think it's imperative that we have a great season and that we win the Egg Bowl. As of now I have a lot of confidence in Joe.

Todd4State
07-30-2018, 11:43 PM

If Dan was still here this class would be a disaster. Like Florida's.

Commercecomet24
07-30-2018, 11:56 PM

No doubt about it. For being on the job 7 months and not having played one game Joes staff is recruiting well. There will always be some misses but I see us getting some others in the boat once they see us in action. I'm with you on the confidence I have in this coaching staff.

Doggie_Style
07-31-2018, 08:39 AM

Actually it won't be long before Florida bolts up the ranking board and leaves us behind. They have scores of 4 and even 5 star guys that they lead for. We will be filling out the remainder of our spots with mainly lower rated players. Hopefully we can get the season going strong and get a nice surprise flip or two.

BB30
07-31-2018, 09:24 AM

I don't get paid to recruit for us but your view is pretty dense. It is called being a realist and choosing to not whine and complain about an out of state 5* RB not picking us because some recruiting site told you we had him.

Hard to improve on something if you can't see the truth and what the issues are and then improve upon those issues.

You asked why he would pick UGA over us from looking at their depth chart and then jumped on people for giving you an honest answer. There are a bunch of reasons a prospective prospect would pick UGA over State. There are also several reasons one would potentially pick us over other schools. But that wasn't what you asked. I never saw you ask why would a RB pick Miss state over UGA or what positives can we use in recruiting to get these kids. If you had asked that I would have told you my thoughts on what we can sell and how we could sell it.

75% of your posts are complaining about Bama UGA etc landing all the big time recruits/winning championships and how it isn't "fair". Life is not fair. There are haves and have nots in everything. The only way to change that is work harder than the next guy and do it the right way. No taking short cuts.

If we continue to win like we have been we will slowly get better in the recruiting and slowly elevate the program. Sorry it isn't happening as quickly as you would like it to. Look at Clemson, Oregon etc. That is the path we need to follow and are following. There are a lot of positive things going on in our program and we will continue to get better in all aspects but it is not going to happen over night.

StateDawg44
07-31-2018, 10:54 AM
And I could see some Georgia coach or GA or whoever looking at a MSU MB and telling Emery- "See even they think you should come here".

Personally, I think it's the MSU message board culture to call people out when they are wrong- including here- and I think it may cause some fans to be overly cautious about what they post that it sometimes goes too far in the other direction. That and years of being told "Well, we're never going to be any good at football anyway." I actually remember being a child and my Mom telling me that "We're good in baseball and we're not good in football." This was the 80's. I remember my parents telling my that MSU football will always let you down. I'm saying this because I'm sure other MSU fans have had similar discussions with their families growing up. And that has to change and it hopefully it already is.

Agree with everything besides other coaches reading other schools message boards. I could be wrong.

The not so simple fix to losing the "let you down" mentality is to win the big games. The Alabama game this past year is the perfect example.

In two years no future recruits will hardly remember which year it was we beat LSU or who won the egg bowl even probably. They would've remembered winning that game agains AL if we had finished. Or going in to UGA last year and winning (or at least competing) instead of getting embarrassed.

All definitely much easier said than done. I definitely think state fans are starting to believe like myself.... some are just way ahead of others.