PDA

View Full Version : What other teams are you a fan of? Good summertime topic.

Tbonewannabe
07-26-2018, 11:45 AM
The baseball thread got me thinking about other teams that I follow and how I would rank them.

1) Mississippi State in any sport. If I had the time, I would go cheer on girls soccer or volleyball (I have never seen either in person).

2) Braves baseball. I used to live in Flowood and would go over anytime I could to watch the M Braves. I now live in Atlanta and whenever I can afford it and have time, I try to go to Suntrust Park. I have actually seen a game in the last 3 ballparks with the first being in 1992.

3) Falcons football. Growing up in the Northeast corner of MS, I wasn't as much of a Saints fan although I did watch them occasionally. I have never been a hardcore fan of any particular team but I did gravitate toward the Falcons. It didn't hurt that they seemed to have a MSU player at some point over a long period of time (Reggie Kelly, Justin Griffith, Norwood). Now I live in Atlanta and I am probably more of an actual fan of the team rather than just watching them when they are on TV.

4) Oddly enough, I really like Atlanta United soccer. I have never played soccer but the last World Cup that the US played in made me watch it more. Before that I pretty much only watched the World Cup whenever the US was on and then wouldn't watch anything for 4 years. I will now actually watch Premier League occasionally or MLS. Atlanta United games are the most fun you will have at a professional sports live event. The live experience is 2nd only to MSU vs a SEC team.

5) Hawks NBA. I didn't necessarily watch one team in the NBA since Magic got the HIV. I loved the Showtime Lakers when I was young. I liked David Robinson and Charles Barkley (with the Suns not the Sixers).

6) Don't follow golfers but I will watch it. I am just not a fan of anyone in particular. I have been to a couple of golf tournaments, Annandale around Jackson and the St. Jude in Memphis. Annandale was interesting because it was hot as possible. My buddy and I talked to Rocco Mediate while he was waiting between holes. He was super cool. St. Jude had some big time golfers like Phil and others. It was cool to see them hit but I am just not a big fan of watching golf live. I would rather watch it on tv.

7) Don't watch racing at all. I have been to the Nascar race at the California Speedway (the first one ever under the lights I think, Popsecret 500 in 2004). I have never watched an entire race of any kind unless you count the few seconds on a drag race while I was channel surfing.

Bully13
07-26-2018, 11:50 AM
13 years here in Ft Worth has me pulling for TCU. Loved that ass whipping they gave tsun in the bowl game. And if not for one of their fan forum sites, I would not have picked up the hot blonde GIF.

KOdawg1
07-26-2018, 12:16 PM
MLB- Braves

NFL- Cowboys but only because of Dak. I'll also root for the Saints just because they're local, but I've never been a die-hard NFL fan

I've watched a little of Atlanta United, but not enough for me to know the players' names aside from the good ones

I'm also a big Roger Federer fan and idk why. I just found myself pulling for him whenever he was on tv, so he's who I've adopted as my favorite.

msstate7
07-26-2018, 12:25 PM
Braves

Saints

Grizzlies, I suppose. I can't stand the nba, but I've been to a grizzlies' game the last 2 years.

I only watch football, basketball, and baseball

stalkingpoon
07-26-2018, 12:30 PM
UCF
Nationals
Grizz
Cowboys

BrunswickDawg
07-26-2018, 12:38 PM
Braves
I keep up with what State NFL guys are doing but don't follow a team anymore (Falcons induced PTSD since '99 Super Bowl)

Liverpool, Celtic, and Atlanta United in futbol

Golf - I keep up with the Sea Mafia since they are local - Zach Johnson and DL III are occasional clients of my wife's business too

Other than MSU and our local High School sports, that's about it now.

fader2103
07-26-2018, 01:17 PM
MSU related I will support all team, especially Volleyball, the 2 semesters I was at State (yes I did not graduate from state, but I gave my tuition to them for a year) I was at every Volleyball game so I keep up with that sport more than the other smaller ones.

MLB- Chicago Cubs, growing up in Mississippi I think everyone had TBS and WGN. I followed the cubs because of days Harry and Mark Grace.

NFL- grew up a die hard 49ers fan bc of Jerry Rice, but their leadership has made some dumb decisions and I couldn't support them anymore. Still watch but no team affiliation.

NHL- When I do watch I guess I lean more towards the Detroit Red Wings.

NBA-Haven't seen an NBA game in 3 years, I couldn't tell you another NBA player besides LeBron, Durant or Howard because they are always popping up in the news feed.

Soccer- Communist Sport

Golf- only watch when Tiger is in contention

Nascar- I use to be a huge nascar fan, but the wife nixed that one. haha

Other College- Notre Dame football, but I am loving Nebraska because of the Scott Frost offense and Lincoln Riley's OU teams

msu15
07-26-2018, 01:18 PM
Yankees and Dallas Mavericks, don't follow the NFL.

Tbonewannabe
07-26-2018, 01:22 PM
MSU related I will support all team, especially Volleyball, the 2 semesters I was at State (yes I did not graduate from state, but I gave my tuition to them for a year) I was at every Volleyball game so I keep up with that sport more than the other smaller ones.

MLB- Chicago Cubs, growing up in Mississippi I think everyone had TBS and WGN. I followed the cubs because of days Harry and Mark Grace.

NFL- grew up a die hard 49ers fan bc of Jerry Rice, but their leadership has made some dumb decisions and I couldn't support them anymore. Still watch but no team affiliation.

NHL- When I do watch I guess I lean more towards the Detroit Red Wings.

NBA-Haven't seen an NBA game in 3 years, I couldn't tell you another NBA player besides LeBron, Durant or Howard because they are always popping up in the news feed.

Soccer- Communist Sport

Golf- only watch when Tiger is in contention

Nascar- I use to be a huge nascar fan, but the wife nixed that one. haha

Other College- Notre Dame football, but I am loving Nebraska because of the Scott Frost offense and Lincoln Riley's OU teams

NHL - I vaguely follow the Predators. I lived in Nashville for about a year and my boss was a huge fan so I am somewhat of a fan. We did go to a game once.

Tennis - I don't necessarily have a favorite but I enjoy watching it.

DawgFromOxford
07-26-2018, 01:38 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers
Dallas Mavericks
Chase Elliott

Jarius
07-26-2018, 02:13 PM
MSU
Saints
Braves (Going to see them play the Marlins July 30/31 for the second time at Suntrust, and I've seen a game at every park since FCS).

I don't really care about any other sports besides golf when Tiger is worth a shit, and it's been a while since that was consistently the case.

msu15
07-26-2018, 02:15 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers
Dallas Mavericks
Chase Elliott

Go mavs!

LC Dawg
07-26-2018, 02:25 PM
I've been a diehard Saints fan since I was a small child and I still follow them and attend an occasional game. The NFL has become such a me league as opposed to a team league that I have soured on it some.

Around 1980 we got cable and I had to choose between the Cubs and the Braves. Since I was a Saints fan I naturally hated the Falcons so I decided to also hate the Braves and became a Cubs fan. I followed the Cubs pretty strongly all the way through college and some afterwards but I don't follow very much now. It would have been great to still be a big Cubs fan when they finally won a championship but I couldn't name. Andre Dawson was by far my favorite Cub to watch.

There was a time in my life that I was probably a bigger fan of Nascar than any other sport. From around 1988 to 2000 I attended an average of 5 races a year and watched the rest on tv. That was a great time to be a Nascar fan as you watched the sport grow and watched new people appreciate the drivers and crews. Nascar got greedy and turned their back on the true fans that made the sport what it was. I will watch a race still but I'll often choose a nap instead. Some buddies and I have been tossing around going to Talladega soon and maybe that will renew my interest.

biscuit
07-26-2018, 02:32 PM
Memphis Tigers
Braves
Saints, WHODAT
Liverpool

sleepy dawg
07-26-2018, 02:35 PM
Growing up, there was only MSU in my house. As a huge sports fan, I had no other direction for other sports, so mine is scattered throughout.

NFL: Dolphins
NHL: Redwings
MLB: Cubs
Nascar: Earnhardt, then Earnhardt Jr., now still trying to figure it out.
Golf: Anybody but Phil or Tiger, but really Tiger doesn't bother me as much since he' been broken. I hate Phil b/c he seems to have the most obnoxious fans.

MoreCowbell
07-26-2018, 03:00 PM
I have always found myself rooting for Georgia in the east since I was a kid. I liked their helmets and they were also bulldogs. If there was no Miss. State I would be a Georgia fan.

Kingbarkus
07-26-2018, 03:10 PM
Saints (Life long)
Astros (Life long)
Pelicans

Jack Lambert
07-26-2018, 03:13 PM
I am hoping for one of the teams in the New Football league that starts in February to be mine. I am done with the NFL. I don't like NBA and MLB is too boring. I do like watching soccer flops. Pretty damn funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO7MdGHwEy4

JacktownBulldog16
07-26-2018, 03:42 PM
NFL: Patriots (first game I ever watched as a kid was the tuck rule game)

MLB: Braves

Golf: any of the "young guns" aka Speith, JT, Ricky, Rory

NBA: only watch big matchups and when Lebron plays

Soccer: will watch the international tournaments like World Cup and EURO

Vandownbytheriver
07-26-2018, 04:18 PM
MLB-Cubs. Ryne Sandberg will always be my favorite athlete of all time
NFL-Cowboys because of Dak
NBA-Whoever is playing Memphis and Bron
Soccer-U.S. Soccer Team and Barca
NHL-I enjoyed watching Vegas play this year
I've been watching NDSU the last few years and enjoy how they play the game.

BuckyIsAB****
07-26-2018, 04:18 PM
If I had to like another college football program it would be Georgia.

WeWonItAll(Most)
07-26-2018, 04:39 PM
-Dallas because of Dak
-Newcastle United because I hate myself

War Machine Dawg
07-26-2018, 05:09 PM
Braves, Texans, Grizzlies, Arsenal, ATL United, USMNT.

FlytheW3
07-26-2018, 05:17 PM
Mississippi State of course in all sports.
MLB- Die Hard Cubs Fan (My dad and his family are from Chicago and life long fans. My first ever sporting event was a Cubs game when I was 3 years old. I'm probably more passionate about them than Mississippi State.)
NFL- Saints and Cowboys (because of Dak)
NBA- Bulls (My dad being from there and watching MJ.)
College Basketball- Duke (I've been a fan since I was 8.)
College Football- I usually find a player that I like and pull for his team. Last 3 years it was Baker Mayfield and Oklahoma. I've also kept up with Georgia in the past and really like Jake Fromm.

Bully13
07-26-2018, 05:37 PM
I guarandamn tee you youngsters once you get older, you'll shake off this pro sport love delusion and understand MSU's been the girl down the street all this time.

Cloak
07-26-2018, 06:07 PM
My fantasy football team

robert
07-26-2018, 07:53 PM
13 years here in Ft Worth has me pulling for TCU. Loved that ass whipping they gave tsun in the bowl game. And if not for one of their fan forum sites, I would not have picked up the hot blonde GIF.

Man, I love your hot blond GIF. My wife glanced at the screen on my laptop while this cute thing was going through her motions....not sure if she believed me when I told her I was reading a State message board...

SaintDawg
07-26-2018, 08:38 PM
1. Always and forever Mississippi State. However, (and I'll probably be crucified for this) I have several very close friends who are rabid LSU fans and alums. They have ALWAYS been warm and welcoming and accommodating to me and my family. I've never had a bad time in Baton Rouge. Many of them have even come to State for other games not involving LSU and worn maroon and white... and wore it proudly supporting us. They are good friends. So I will support LSU from time to time. They always say that they hate Ole Miss as much as we do. Gotta love that.

2. Who Dat?!?! FOREVER (and Dallas because of Dak, like many others here)

3. Boston Red Sox always and forever. I hate the Yankees like Ole Miss.

4. Boston Celtics

Liverpooldawg
07-26-2018, 08:45 PM
College football: USC...the real one in California, not the one in Carolina.
NFL: trying to become a Titans fan. The NFL makes that very hard for me.
NHL: Preds!!!!!!
NBA...... what's that?
MLB: My son drug me back into, after many years with more sense......sigh.....the Braves.
The REAL football.....in a top league .......my handle should make that obvious.
High School football......a bit too local for the net but that's my co-favorite with MSU.
Irish Hurling.... Tipperary
The REAL footballball....other favorites....Crystal Palace, Salisbury FC, Southend United, Norwich City....then Fulham, Derby County, Nottingham Forrest, Brentford, Roma, Portland Timbers, Celtic, Kaiserslautern, Altrincham, and Rochester Rhinos.

DownwardDawg
07-26-2018, 09:11 PM
Notre Dame and Boise State. I pretty much despise all professional sports, especially the NFL.

BeardoMSU
07-26-2018, 09:40 PM
I love all the "because of Dak" qualifiers, lol. I'm right there with y'all.

oildawg
07-26-2018, 09:58 PM
NFL - Always hated the Cowboys when I was growing up, but have converted due to Dak. Behind the Cowboys, Saints...

NBA - my son has jumped on the 76’ers ship, so I follow them too.

MLB - used to follow more closely - Dodgers, Pirates, A’s - but the season & the games are so long, I don’t really pay attention until the playoffs.

College football- Mike Leach is fun to watch, my oldest son attends Baylor, anyone who plays Ole Miss, etc.

Pit Bull
07-26-2018, 09:59 PM
Memphis Grizzlies
Memphis Tigers
Cincinnati Reds
Texas Rangers
Georgia Bulldogs
Seattle SeaHawks

BeastMan
07-26-2018, 10:16 PM
-MSU first and foremost
-Miami Dolphins
-Memphis Grizzlies
-I follow LBJ where ever. His game other worldly to watch.
-I want to have a MLB team but I can?t figure it out
-Southern Miss. I was going to go there (went to Jones then transferred), dad went there for grad school, and brother went there. Love Hattiesburg and root for them as long as they don?t play us.
-LSU football. I spend a good amount of time in LA. Love their fans. Love the gameday experience at Death Valley. I?m not a fan of LSU but I like them.
-Saints. Not my nfl team of choice but I enjoy going to games and I generally root for their success.
-I?ve watched some Cowboys the last 2 years because of Dak

Todd4State
07-26-2018, 10:20 PM
MLB National League- St. Louis Cardinals
MLB American League- Kansas City Royals
AAA New Orleans Team Formerly Named the Zephyrs
AA- Mississippi Braves
World Baseball Classic- Team USA
College- Mississippi State
Division 2- Delta State

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
07-27-2018, 04:47 AM
Cowboys - because of Dak
Saints
Arsenal
Dale Jarret but stopped watching NASCAR after he won his Championship in '99.

MedDawg
07-27-2018, 08:09 AM
1. Mississippi State in everything. Family moved to Mississippi from NY State just before 9th grade and my older brother went to OM, so I was a Rebel fan for a couple years. Then around 11th grade I chose State and I've been MSU ever since. When I became a State fan I pretty much started blowing off all pro sports.
2. Penn State (after MSU I went there for grad school and they won the National Championship in football). Other than PSU football I will watch their teams that are in the playoffs, like wrestling and women's volleyball.
3. SEC football
4. College football playoffs
5. Top ranked regular season football. Also, I record and scan through North Dakota State football games because my Dad went there.
6. Whatever college sports are on when I'm bored. Watched some college lacrosse recently.

7. NFL: Grew up a Steelers fan but after I moved to Mississippi and started following college football I didn't really care for any NFL team except for the Saints when they were good. Always hated the Cowboys but now I like the Cowboys because of Dak.
8. MLB: Grew up an Orioles fan then a Yankees fan when we moved to NY when I was 7. Then in/after HS I stopped caring about MLB until Papelbon went to the Boston Red Sox. Followed them for a while but have lost interest in MLB again. I might watch the World Series.
9. NBA: Grew up a Knicks fan then stopped caring and still don't care that much. I sometimes watch the conference finals and usually the finals. Been to a few Grizzlies games which is fun.

Bully13
07-27-2018, 10:14 AM
One thing I didn't know until I moved to N.TX is how many strange looks you'll get telling a lifetime die hard Cowboy's fan that you like both the Saints and Cowboys. I recall the Saints winning some head to head matchups vs Cowboys in the years building up to their Super Bowl. Could that be the reason? Since the Cowboys haven't sniffed the SB in how long?

I watch Dak and pull for the Boys every chance I get. It had been over 20 yrs since I'd watched NFL other than the Super Bowl prior to Dak. Other than if I were flipping around channels and a former MSU player was in the game.

I remember listening to us win the Egg Bowl on the radio the year Archie was on the sideline injured. I also remember throwing a temper tantrum and crying the year the Colts beat the Cowboys in the Super Bowl off a field goal that was held by a former MSU player. One of those childhood passions faded as the decades followed, the other did not.

79acctngdawg
07-27-2018, 11:34 AM
Honestly - Mississippi State and anybody who plays Ole Miss!

dickiedawg
07-27-2018, 11:21 PM
1) Mississippi State Big 4
2) Philadelphia Eagles
3) Leicester City
4)Atlanta Braves
5) Mississippi State everything else
T6) Pittsburgh Penguins, ATL United, Memphis Grizzlies

Order subject to change based on how well each team is doing.

Bully13
07-28-2018, 10:16 AM
1) Mississippi State Big 4
2) Philadelphia Eagles
3) Leicester City
4)Atlanta Braves
5) Mississippi State everything else
T6) Pittsburgh Penguins, ATL United, Memphis Grizzlies

Order subject to change based on how well each team is doing.

Good point on subject to change. I had never cared for Ladies' Hoops till we got great. watching them play now has grown so damned important to me. LOL.

Katdoc12
07-28-2018, 03:56 PM
Obviously MSU first & foremost in everything.
Other college teams Im a fan of: Univ West AL (Livingston Univ); Georgia Southern; San Diego State; Clemson
NFL I only follow players now that I was a fan of in college, being a San Diego Native I only watch NFL when players from my college teams are playing to see how they're doing.
MLB only to check in on the Padres, which I do more with Hunter being there.
NHL- Flyers, but trying to get into the Preds.
Honestly I have more professional teams I dont like. LOL!

parabrave
07-29-2018, 08:59 AM
NFL -Cowboys since 1966, saints
NBA- Bird Celtics
MLB - Parabrave says it all.
NASCAR - Jeff Gordon, NASCAR sucks now.
College, State and Hook em Horns.

msbulldog
07-29-2018, 09:54 AM
Whoever Ole Miss is playing in any sport!