PDA

View Full Version : If Elderly, or in Bad Health, and Have Skin Abrasions, Stay Out of Salt Water

Bully13
07-24-2018, 06:14 PM
and don't eat raw oysters in summer heat. It can kill you.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/24/texas-man-dies-after-contracting-flesh-eating-bacteria-in-gulf-waters-officials-say.html

BeastMan
07-24-2018, 08:02 PM
This gets reported every year. I'm in pretty good health and I just don't worry about it. Now I do watch myself after a fishing trip to make sure no cuts look to be getting infected or that I feel well but I'm not too worried about it. Fisherman aside, there are tons of people in the water everyday across gulf beaches and for whatever reason the gulf takes out a few a year with a weird sickness. It's sad and I'm not saying it couldn't be me one day, but I'm not gonna worry about it.

Bully13
07-24-2018, 08:11 PM
This gets reported every year. I'm in pretty good health and I just don't worry about it. Now I do watch myself after a fishing trip to make sure no cuts look to be getting infected or that I feel well but I'm not too worried about it. Fisherman aside, there are tons of people in the water everyday across gulf beaches and for whatever reason the gulf takes out a few a year with a weird sickness. It's sad and I'm not saying it couldn't be me one day, but I'm not gonna worry about it.

Now you have me backing off my hysteria. Great post Beast. I've had on experience , 2 different occasions where I bit into a bad raw oyster. It is the single most vile thing you'll ever bite into. It will send you straight to the bathroom before your 2nd chew if your taste buds are clicking at 100%. Both events were in Memphis in the Summer.

Lived 7 years 1/2 a block from Dragos in LA. Pasteurized Beds during the Summer but they lacked that "Ocean Taste" but I still ate the shit out of them anyway all the time.

Tbonewannabe
08-01-2018, 01:48 PM
Now you have me backing off my hysteria. Great post Beast. I've had on experience , 2 different occasions where I bit into a bad raw oyster. It is the single most vile thing you'll ever bite into. It will send you straight to the bathroom before your 2nd chew if your taste buds are clicking at 100%. Both events were in Memphis in the Summer.

Lived 7 years 1/2 a block from Dragos in LA. Pasteurized Beds during the Summer but they lacked that "Ocean Taste" but I still ate the shit out of them anyway all the time.

I will never have to worry about that. I have shucked too many mussels when I was young to ever eat raw oysters. I love them fried but just can't stand the sight of them raw.

Uncle Ruckus
08-03-2018, 10:05 PM
During the summer months I eat oysters at least once a week and I’m in the gulf wading, boating, swimming, kayaking, etc at least once a week. I drive down beach almost daily and there are people everywhere. Out of the thousands of people that gets in the water each year it only happens to a few. It sucks it happens, but it’s very unlikely.

SpeckleDawg
08-03-2018, 10:59 PM
During the summer months I eat oysters at least once a week and I’m in the gulf wading, boating, swimming, kayaking, etc at least once a week. I drive down beach almost daily and there are people everywhere. Out of the thousands of people that gets in the water each year it only happens to a few. It sucks it happens, but it’s very unlikely.

Same for me on almost all of this. It's also nothing new, just being talked about a lot more now.

Johnson85
08-08-2018, 08:09 PM
Also makes a difference if you're in brackish water. If you're not in a backbay, sound, or marsh, you're even less likely to have a problem.