PDA

View Full Version : Yes, BeastMan...it is time to bench Autry.

CadaverDawg
10-12-2013, 08:35 PM
He is terrible against the zone read.

Tevese Calhoun can join him too.

Saltydog
10-12-2013, 08:39 PM
nt

bulldawg28
10-12-2013, 09:56 PM
So can Eulls.

thf24
10-12-2013, 10:30 PM
I'm not necessarily defending him, but it's hard not to look terrible against the zone read when you're the defender being keyed on. The point of the zone read is to take a defender, usually the strong side DE, out of the play by leaving him unblocked and have the quarterback read and react to what he does. If he crashes in towards the running back, you keep it, and if he stays home to stop you, then you give the ball up. If the keyed upon defender could reliably defend both options as some of you seem to be demanding of Autry, then the zone read wouldn't exist because it wouldn't be viable. The knock on him is that he crashes in EVERY time, making the read very easy on the QB. We could probably defend that play a little better if he would mix it up (given that he can recognize it, which might not be the case) and make the QB hesitate a little more.

CadaverDawg
10-12-2013, 10:33 PM
I'm not necessarily defending him, but it's hard not to look terrible against the zone read when you're the defender being keyed on. The point of the zone read is to take a defender, usually the strong side DE, out of the play by leaving him unblocked and have the quarterback read and react to what he does. If he crashes in towards the running back, you keep it, and if he stays home to stop you, then you give the ball up. If the keyed upon defender could reliably defend both options as some of you seem to be demanding of Autry, then the zone read wouldn't exist because it wouldn't be viable. The knock on him is that he crashes in EVERY time, making the read very easy on the QB. We could probably defend that play a little better if he would mix it up (given that he can recognize it, which might not be the case) and make the QB hesitate a little more.

Actually, he rushes up field so hard that he doesn't cover EITHER one most times. Completely runs himself out of the play so that we are now defending an option play with a man less. He kills us on that play. But yes, I agree with the principle of what you're saying.

thf24
10-12-2013, 11:01 PM
Actually, he rushes up field so hard that he doesn't cover EITHER one most times. Completely runs himself out of the play so that we are now defending an option play with a man less. He kills us on that play. But yes, I agree with the principle of what you're saying.

I agree that we'd probably do a little better if he looked like his brain was engaged when defending this particular play, but if the offense executes it correctly, then he's a non-factor regardless. Whenever we get gashed on a QB keeper off a zone read, Autry probably could have done more to disrupt it, but the main breakdown is most likely a linebacker not picking up his assignment on the QB. I think we've got to look at our front as a whole when trying to place blame for breakdowns defending it, not just Autry.

Dawg61
10-13-2013, 12:03 AM
He is terrible against the zone read.

Tevese Calhoun can join him too.

Surprised you said Calhoun. I've been impressed with him.

CadaverDawg
10-13-2013, 12:07 AM
Surprised you said Calhoun. I've been impressed with him.

It seems like every time I see a guy standing wide open in our secondary...it's Calhoun's man. Especially on 3rd down

Coach 57
10-13-2013, 12:09 AM
I agree with this sentiment from Cadaver. My biggest issue tonight is that Eulls was equally terrible. We didn't start getting pressure until we (on their last drive) had TRUE rush ends in the game. Eulls is FAR too slow as us Jones. I also didn't understand why when we went to our 30 look we had Ry.Brown at the 1 tech & had Jones at DE? Uh, it was a horrible scheme. But to the comment about Autry, yes so far right now he (to me) looks like a bust. Preston must've been hurt or something on why he didn't play at all. He is our best DE then right now it is a toss up between AJ & Ryan. Autry to me is hurting our defense.

Dawg61
10-13-2013, 12:25 AM
It seems like every time I see a guy standing wide open in our secondary...it's Calhoun's man. Especially on 3rd down

Nikoe is the only DB/Safety I'm disappointed with. He's just used up all his bullets. Looks like a 38 year old out there. He absolutely laid the wood his first 2 years and I think all the hits and injuries have unfortunately left him as a shell. We are completely decimated in the defensive secondary from injuries on top of replacing Banks & Slay. Atleast we don't have Toast back there.

BeastMan
10-13-2013, 10:43 AM
So folks are finally coming around to what Ive been saying about Autry for a while now? To be completely honest, Ive never been impressed by him in game or practice. He looks the part and is fast but just doesn't make football plays.

For folks keeping up with such things: Autry has 0 sack this year. He has 1.5 TFL which is 10th on the team. His 2 plays in the backfield came against Alcorn and BG. He's a senior who has never produced. I'd like to see more Ryan Brown and AJ Jefferson since they will be the guys to battle it out next year for his spot.

In my Eulls tracker: He again had no sacks or TFL's last night. That makes 3.5 TFL in 32 career starts and 1 TFL in his last 21 starts. Hasn't had a sack since 9/15/2011. I must say, Ive been beating the Eulls drum since midway last year. I now see a lot of people saying it. I'm not David Turner but I know what Ive seen for years now.

msstate7
10-13-2013, 10:48 AM
Graduation will help our defense tremendously. Autry and Whitley aren't helping us

7dawg
10-13-2013, 10:51 AM
Watch Autry on his pass rush. He does a multiple stutter step trying to fake out the tackle and waisted about 1-1.5 seconds in doing so. He just needs to get up field to the outside or make his move to the inside. That 1 second is a lifetime when trying to get to the QB before he lets it go. I noticed this several times last night.