PDA

View Full Version : Will Julio Jones get what he wants?

Jack Lambert
07-24-2018, 10:49 AM
Starting Friday He will be fine 40K a day.

Tbonewannabe
07-24-2018, 10:54 AM
They have already said he won't get his contract reworked this year. They will look at it next year.

He is somewhere around the 16th highest paid WR now but has the 4th most guaranteed money. He essentially wants to be paid as one of the best WRs in the NFL no matter the contract when he had like 3 TDs last year. He was used as a decoy a lot but he still is also banged up all the time and not playing at 100%.

Jack Lambert
07-24-2018, 10:57 AM
They have already said he won't get his contract reworked this year. They will look at it next year.

He is somewhere around the 16th highest paid WR now but has the 4th most guaranteed money. He essentially wants to be paid as one of the best WRs in the NFL no matter the contract when he had like 3 TDs last year. He was used as a decoy a lot but he still is also banged up all the time and not playing at 100%.

You think he will not play this season?

Lord McBuckethead
07-24-2018, 12:03 PM
He will get what he wants.

fishwater99
07-24-2018, 12:43 PM
Starting Friday He will be fine 40K a day.

Let them fine him.

Dallas_Dawg
07-24-2018, 01:01 PM
Julio seems to be a smart dude, but you signed a contract.

Tbonewannabe
07-24-2018, 02:49 PM
You think he will not play this season?

I think he will play but they may throw some incentives in his current contract. They cannot set the precedent of reworking someone's five year deal after 2 years because other WR are now higher paid. That is a slippery slope that Atlanta doesn't want to go down. They have already said they would look at reworking his deal next year so that would have 2 years left after this year. I didn't pay attention to the deals this year but Julio got 12 Mil as a signing bonus and he is still 4th in guaranteed money. He is 9th in contract $$$ per year. It is a weird situation.

fishwater99
07-24-2018, 03:33 PM
Jones could be fined up to $40,000 for each day he misses. The Falcons' first practice is Friday.

The team has previously said that it will not rework his deal.

Falcons owner Arthur Blank told The Athletic that he does not plan to get involved in any negotiations over Jones' contract at this time.

"I have full faith in TD [general manager Thomas Dimitroff] and DQ [coach Dan Quinn] to handle this in the best manner that is feasible for us. We love Julio, and I have said our wishes are that he be a Falcon for life. As always, I am available to our staff as needed and at appropriate times," he said.

Jones signed a five-year, $71 million contract in 2015 that included a $12 million signing bonus and $47 million guaranteed. His base salary this season is $10.5 million.

http://www.espn.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/32496/why-falcons-are-in-tough-spot-with-julio-jones-contract-situation

TUSK
07-25-2018, 11:54 AM
Is this an "ego"/"give me my props" type thing because some other cats got paid, or does he think his worth/performance as a WR has exceeded the value of his contract?

If it's only "A", he needs to get his ass to work.

Dawg61
07-25-2018, 12:04 PM
5 year 71 mill contract is pretty nice. Get your ass on the field Julio.

smootness
07-25-2018, 12:45 PM
Is this an "ego"/"give me my props" type thing because some other cats got paid, or does he think his worth/performance as a WR has exceeded the value of his contract?

If it's only "A", he needs to get his ass to work.

Well, the two are related. If A is true, then B is also true by definition. If he is getting paid less than other WR, then his value has exceeded his current contract.

Contracts in the NFL aren't guaranteed, and teams cut players all the time before the end of the contract. I have 0 issue with any NFL player who holds out as a result.

smootness
07-25-2018, 12:46 PM
Julio seems to be a smart dude, but you signed a contract.

Do we say this same thing to teams when they cut players with years left?

TUSK
07-25-2018, 01:06 PM
Well, the two are related. If A is true, then B is also true by definition. If he is getting paid less than other WR, then his value has exceeded his current contract.

Contracts in the NFL aren't guaranteed, and teams cut players all the time before the end of the contract. I have 0 issue with any NFL player who holds out as a result.

That makes a lot of sense, Smoot... I'm down with that... Thanks!

TUSK
07-25-2018, 01:28 PM
Do we say this same thing to teams when they cut players with years left?

So, to be perfectly clear: Say Julio sucks balls this year, drops passes, gets fat, whatever; The Falcons can cut him and not pay him anything the last 2 years of his contract (that wasn't "guaranteed"), right???

Jack Lambert
07-25-2018, 01:35 PM
So, to be perfectly clear: Say Julio sucks balls this year, drops passes, gets fat, whatever; The Falcons can cut him and not pay him anything the last 2 years of his contract (that wasn't "guaranteed"), right???

Sounds to me Julio needs a new agent.

dawgs
07-25-2018, 02:33 PM

Bingo.

dawgs
07-25-2018, 02:37 PM
Sounds to me Julio needs a new agent.

Nah, nfl needs to change the economics of the salary cap that allow for fully guaranteed contracts. His agent can only do so much if no teams will fully guarantee a deal, and no teams are going to fully guarantee a deal under the current salary cap structure.

smootness
07-25-2018, 04:01 PM

Looking at the details of his deal, it looks like that is true, yes.

NFL contracts can be guaranteed if they're written that way, but they are not automatically guaranteed the way MLB contracts are. So it looks like $35.5 million of Julio's deal was fully guaranteed - his signing bonus, his 2015-2016 salaries, and the 2015-2016 roster bonuses. Then his $11.5 million 2017 salary became guaranteed early in 2016. But it looks like nothing from 2018-2020 is guaranteed. It would cost the Falcons against the cap, but it would not cost them in actual money paid to Julio.

dawgs
07-25-2018, 04:52 PM
NFL brings in the most money of any of the pro sports, but the players have by far the worst deal of any of the pro sports. Unless you are a starting caliber QB or the best of the best at your given position, there's no security at all and the pay over your career (~3 years for most guys) is not enough to really justify the harm you do to your body. If I had a kid that was a good enough athlete to potentially play pro sports, football would probably be last of the big team sports I'd want them to play except maybe if they were a QB. Not even from a CTE perspective, but purely from an economic perspective.

Goldendawg
07-25-2018, 09:00 PM
$71 mil deal signed in 2015, $12 ml signing bonus and $47 mil guaranteed? Really? He's not hurting. Get to work. I remember reading in Sports Illustrated when in HS when Tug McGraw signed one of the 1st $100,000 a year deals. He said that he was going to spend 90% on wine, women, and song and waste the rest. These contracts ruined ML Baseball, the NBA, and the NFL is on the way. JMO.

Tbonewannabe
07-25-2018, 09:54 PM

His current contract is the 4th highest guaranteed payout. Julio has already received his guaranteed money so now wants to rework his deal. He basically wants a fully guaranteed deal and I believe Kurt Cousins is the only guy with that. He also played through 2 or 3 one year deals to get it and hit the market at the perfect time.

dawgs
07-26-2018, 01:17 AM
$71 mil deal signed in 2015, $12 ml signing bonus and $47 mil guaranteed? Really? He's not hurting. Get to work. I remember reading in Sports Illustrated when in HS when Tug McGraw signed one of the 1st $100,000 a year deals. He said that he was going to spend 90% on wine, women, and song and waste the rest. These contracts ruined ML Baseball, the NBA, and the NFL is on the way. JMO.

So you'd rather the billionaire owners pocket even more of the profits generated by their franchises and leagues?

smootness
07-26-2018, 07:08 AM
His current contract is the 4th highest guaranteed payout. Julio has already received his guaranteed money so now wants to rework his deal. He basically wants a fully guaranteed deal and I believe Kurt Cousins is the only guy with that. He also played through 2 or 3 one year deals to get it and hit the market at the perfect time.

Correct. So now he has no guaranteed money left, meaning the team can cut him at any point and he gets nothing. So I don't blame him one bit for holding out, especially since his deal is now below his market value.

smootness
07-26-2018, 07:10 AM
So you'd rather the billionaire owners pocket even more of the profits generated by their franchises and leagues?

Right, I don't understand why people can't seem to realize that there are only two options here - the player getting more money, or the owner. It's not like money not paid out in salary goes back into the team, or goes to the public somehow.

I don't know why fans always side with ownership, who are raking in just absolutely insane amounts of money. Sure, there's a cap that affects what else you can spend money on, but guess who controls the cap.....

BrunswickDawg
07-26-2018, 07:15 AM
Sounds like Julio got a little salary bonus, will go to camp, and they will negotiate at the end of the season. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/julio-jones-reporting-to-falcons-training-camp-after-adjustment-to-2018-salary/

BrunswickDawg
07-26-2018, 07:19 AM
Right, I don't understand why people can't seem to realize that there are only two options here - the player getting more money, or the owner. It's not like money not paid out in salary goes back into the team, or goes to the public somehow.

I don't know why fans always side with ownership, who are raking in just absolutely insane amounts of money. Sure, there's a cap that affects what else you can spend money on, but guess who controls the cap.....

The NFLPA Collective Bargaining agreement really does stiff the players - and always has. Especially their retirement programs and insurance.
On the other hand, I've always thought that the MLBPA had too much sway. Maybe I'm just still mad at Tom Glavine's cocky ass leading up to the '94 strike.

Tbonewannabe
07-26-2018, 09:04 AM
Correct. So now he has no guaranteed money left, meaning the team can cut him at any point and he gets nothing. So I don't blame him one bit for holding out, especially since his deal is now below his market value.

It is crazy that the sport with the most possible injures is the one that has the least guaranteed money. The problem with Julio's contract was that his contract was extremely front loaded. He received all of his guaranteed money almost upfront whereas if his contract had it spread out over his 5 years does he holdout?

The NFL more than anything needs to take better care of the guys who get hurt playing the game. The superstars like Julio are going to make plenty of money, it is the guys who are invited to training camp and blow out a knee that are getting screwed. They have zero guaranteed. Does players like that get medical treatment from the team or are they just left on their own?