PDA

View Full Version : Is There a Bigger Eye Sore in Power 5 CFB Than the M-Club Building?

ShotgunDawg
07-23-2018, 08:51 AM
Seriously, let's get real here. Is there a bigger eye sore in power 5 football than that building?

As far we've come as university & with our athletic facilities, it's unreal to me that the front porch of school still has the equivalent of toilet sitting on it.

Want the change the perception of facilities, tearing down that place is a good place to start. It makes us look cheap & poor

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Davis-Wade.jpg

http://hailstate.com/images/2012/9/12/FOMXSOPQUZEQRGP.20120912192452.JPG

https://www.msstate.edu/sites/www.msstate.edu/files/6-1-2012.jpg

Political Hack
07-23-2018, 08:58 AM
Seen the inside? The outside is nice.

Gutter Cobreh
Do you get paid for every thread you start? If so, how about you donate some of that to make this change you're proposing.

What perception are you referring to? I don't think I've ever come across anyone that has stated this is a pressing need (but maybe I don't get out and about and hang with big donors like yourself). I'd say replacing the plywood in the Palmeiro Center would be a bigger bang for the buck than this.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
I don't think it looks that bad....but to answer your question, yes there is a bigger eye sore in football......maybe not Power 5 but still quite the eye sore

https://s8.postimg.cc/4toxviiad/Boise-_State-_Blue-_Turf-_Football-_Field.jpg

Bothrops
07-23-2018, 09:00 AM
The south endzone expansion will be underway in 2 to 3 years, if I had to guess.

ShotgunDawg
07-23-2018, 09:01 AM
Do you get paid for every thread you start? If so, how about you donate some of that to make this change you're proposing.

What perception are you referring to? I don't think I've ever come across anyone that has stated this is a pressing need (but maybe I don't get out and about and hang with big donors like yourself). I'd say replacing the plywood in the Palmeiro Center would be a bigger bang for the buck than this.

This is a clueless post

You really think changing out the NON-plywood in the Palmeiro Center that only limited number of people get see is a better investment than replacing an eye sore in a stadium that is the front porch of our university & something that millions & millions of people lay eyes on?

It's small minded, ridiculous thinking like this that put the school in a hole to begin with in which we are only now building our way out of.

ShotgunDawg
07-23-2018, 09:01 AM
Seen the inside? The outside is nice.

Yeesh

msstatelp1
07-23-2018, 09:04 AM
I don't think it looks that bad....but to answer your question, yes there is a bigger eye sore in power 5 football......

And it is just as bad IRL as it is in pictures.

ShotgunDawg
07-23-2018, 09:07 AM
I don't think it looks that bad....but to answer your question, yes there is a bigger eye sore in power 5 football......

Not a power 5 football program. Doesn't qualify

I say power 5 because Power 5 program have resources & I have no interest in comparing ourselves to non-power 5 schools.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
07-23-2018, 09:10 AM
Not a power 5 football program. Doesn't qualify

I say power 5 because Power 5 program have resources & I have no interest in comparing ourselves to non-power 5 schools.

I edited after I realized I the mistake

AROB44
07-23-2018, 09:11 AM

+1 Rep given!!

BrunswickDawg
07-23-2018, 09:12 AM
Bobby Dodd Stadium beats any embarrassment we could ever produce.

https://www.emporis.com/images/show/510877-Large-exterior-view-to-the-west-from-the-bank-of-america-plaza.jpg

ShotgunDawg
07-23-2018, 09:14 AM
Bobby Dodd Stadium beats any embarrassment we could ever produce.

https://www.emporis.com/images/show/510877-Large-exterior-view-to-the-west-from-the-bank-of-america-plaza.jpg

I don't see anything there that looks as cheap as the M-Club building.

BrunswickDawg
07-23-2018, 09:17 AM
I don't see anything there that looks as cheap as the M-Club building.

You must have never been to a game there then.

Leroy Jenkins
07-23-2018, 09:18 AM
A little brick on the facade and tie it into the East/West sides and it will blend.

ShotgunDawg
07-23-2018, 09:19 AM

Maybe in person it looks cheap, but not on TV

ShotgunDawg
07-23-2018, 09:21 AM
A little brick on the facade and tie it into the East/West sides and it will blend.

Ain't no sense in polishing a turd. It has served it's purpose

ScoobaDawg
07-23-2018, 09:22 AM
Seriously, let's get real here. Is there a bigger eye sore in power 5 football than that building?

As far we've come as university & with our athletic facilities, it's unreal to me that the front porch of school still has the equivalent of toilet sitting on it.

Want the change the perception of facilities, tearing down that place is a good place to start. It makes us look cheap & poor

Yea there is..and it's on our campus.. it's directly behind the M-Club and you can see it in your first picture.

Matty Dispatch
07-23-2018, 09:26 AM
The M-club doesn't look that bad, it's the awkwardness of the scoreboard in front of it. Some people like it though because it looks like a bulldog sitting.....sort of, if you can really use your imagination. In today's college football, I'm not sure you can justify bowling it in because it's so hard to sell tickets. I think we've only had more than 60K twice since Dak left. It could definitely look better, but it's not awful.

BrunswickDawg
07-23-2018, 09:28 AM

The main thing I dislike about the south end right now is how we incorporated the jumbo-tron - it looks stuck on (because it was).
I really don't worry about it much because I know when the time comes to replace it or bowl in the endzone, we have proven we hire the right designers now to handle the project.
That's why I used Bobby Dodd as an example as an eyesore - not a single part of that stadium is integrated into any other part of the stadium architecturally. It makes our unbalanced east and west upper decks look well planned.

It's sad too - Bobby Dodd used to look like a cool old stadium when I was a kid - this is 1983

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tfvq5ifjZEI/TDHlS0KZAmI/AAAAAAAAA9Q/8SGaAGcRfiU/s1600/BobbyDodd1983.jpg

ShotgunDawg
07-23-2018, 09:29 AM
The M-club doesn't look that bad, it's the awkwardness of the scoreboard in front of it.

It looks terrible on TV and looks cheap

Have some self awareness people. You can't move forward when you're delusional about the present

Liverpooldawg
07-23-2018, 09:30 AM

Donate the money and they will call it Shotgun Hall. There are other more pressing needs than that.

Liverpooldawg
07-23-2018, 09:32 AM
The main thing I dislike about the south end right now is how we incorporated the jumbo-tron - it looks stuck on (because it was).
I really don't worry about it much because I know when the time comes to replace it or bowl in the endzone, we have proven we hire the right designers now to handle the project.
That's why I used Bobby Dodd as an example as an eyesore - not a single part of that stadium is integrated into any other part of the stadium architecturally. It makes our unbalanced east and west upper decks look well planned.

It's sad too - Bobby Dodd used to look like a cool old stadium when I was a kid - this is 1983

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tfvq5ifjZEI/TDHlS0KZAmI/AAAAAAAAA9Q/8SGaAGcRfiU/s1600/BobbyDodd1983.jpg

I like Bobby Dodd. That place has character. It's not like every other soulless bowl. Symmetrical stadiums ar sterile.

BulldogBear
07-23-2018, 09:32 AM
Yea there is..and it's on our campus.. it's directly behind the M-Club and you can see it in your first picture.

Why you hatin' on Dorman Hall????***

BulldogBear
07-23-2018, 09:35 AM

I will say one thing. When I went to that 1100am (noon your time) scorcher last year before heading to Athens afterward...I was quite jealous of those south end zone seats that had shade for the whole game.

I like Bobby Dodd. That place has character. It's not like every other soulless bowl. Symmetrical stadiums ar sterile.

It is ugly. But I thought it had character.

ShotgunDawg
07-23-2018, 09:37 AM
Donate the money and they will call it Shotgun Hall. There are other more pressing needs than that.

We've got money and I think sprucing up the front porch of the school is of the upmost importance.

LibraryDawg
07-23-2018, 09:39 AM

It's not going anywhere in the foreseeable future. They just gutted it and remodeled the interior last summer.

ScoobaDawg
07-23-2018, 09:41 AM
Ain't no sense in polishing a turd. It has served it's purpose

And it still has purpose.. It's not going to be the visitors locker room again, as well as continuing to host our student alumni.
It will be replaced in time.. the scoreboard is now 10 years old, technology doesn't last forever.
We will replace it when we bowl in the endzone. There isn't a need for that at this time.

Matty Dispatch
07-23-2018, 09:43 AM
You'll have to convince John Cohen, because he thinks that MSU being the only school in the SEC without an indoor tennis facility makes us look bad. He also wants to renovate the Hump.

You've said tear it down, but what will take it's place?

Turfdawg67
07-23-2018, 09:43 AM

Have some self awareness people. You can't move forward when you're delusional about the present

Maybe you're the one that needs self awareness since you're not in the majority thus far on this thread. I'm fine with it. And Brunswick is correct, the GT stadium is ****in' fugly... and if you think our stadium is worse you are either delusional or need your old eyes checked.

ShotgunDawg
07-23-2018, 09:44 AM
It's not going anywhere in the foreseeable future. They just gutted it and remodeled the interior last summer.

Our loss then

ShotgunDawg
07-23-2018, 09:47 AM
Maybe you're the one that needs self awareness since you're not in the majority thus far on this thread. I'm fine with it. And Brunswick is correct, the GT stadium is ****in' fugly... and if you think our stadium is worse you are either delusional or need your old eyes checked.

I didn't say our stadium was bad. Just that the M Club is a deer camp quality eye sore

BrunswickDawg
07-23-2018, 09:47 AM
I will say one thing. When I went to that 1100am (noon your time) scorcher last year before heading to Athens afterward...I was quite jealous of those south end zone seats that had shade for the whole game.

It is ugly. But I thought it had character.

I bet you did need that shade - that day was hot as hell.

I don't mind a certain level of asymmetry as long as it looks like there is a cohesive plan. But Dodd, and Vaught-Hemmingway, both suffer from some poor planning and poor priorities when they did their renovations over the years.
The biggest benefit of the renovations at Dodd over the years are getting rid of the track that hadn't been used since the late 1950s and the elimination of the piss creek that served as a urinal until the mid 1980s. Piss creek made the Templeton Troughs seem sanitary and modern.

ScoobaDawg
07-23-2018, 09:49 AM
The M-club doesn't look that bad, it's the awkwardness of the scoreboard in front of it. Some people like it though because it looks like a bulldog sitting.....sort of, if you can really use your imagination. In today's college football, I'm not sure you can justify bowling it in because it's so hard to sell tickets. I think we've only had more than 60K twice since Dak left. It could definitely look better, but it's not awful.

3 times...barely.
2016 - Auburn 60,102
2017 - LSU 60,596
Alabama - 61,344

ScoobaDawg
07-23-2018, 09:51 AM
We've got money and I think sprucing up the front porch of the school is of the upmost importance.

We have money. We don't have money to spend just to spend. The need is not there right now.

Matty Dispatch
07-23-2018, 09:53 AM
3 times...barely.
2016 - Auburn 60,102
2017 - LSU 60,596
Alabama - 61,344

one sellout....yikes. We had 39 straight sellouts, or something like that. Then expanded and it was spotty, then Dak left and it takes Alabama to sell it out. That doesn't give the admin much reason to spend millions on any more expansion. With TV the way it is now, it's really hard to envision that we'll ever bowl it in - it's just hard to get people to come to games, let alone stay for four quarters.

Maroons
07-23-2018, 09:58 AM

But what would you do with it? Bowl it in and add seats? The consequence would be empty seats on TV for all but the biggest games.

ShotgunDawg
07-23-2018, 09:59 AM
one sellout....yikes. We had 39 straight sellouts, or something like that. Then expanded and it was spotty, then Dak left and it takes Alabama to sell it out. That doesn't give the admin much reason to spend millions on any more expansion. With TV the way it is now, it's really hard to envision that we'll ever bowl it in - it's just hard to get people to come to games, let alone stay for four quarters.

Then don't expand the stadium. Just build something that is Representative of our university in that end zone.

ckDOG
07-23-2018, 10:00 AM
My solution: Moorhead takes us to Atlanta this year forcing a necessary expansion. Bye bye, M Club.

BrunswickDawg
07-23-2018, 10:03 AM
Then don't expand the stadium. Just build something that is Representative of our university in that end zone.

Something more like what Mercer has?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/05/Mercer_University_Homer_and_Ruth_Drake_Field_House .jpg/800px-Mercer_University_Homer_and_Ruth_Drake_Field_House .jpg

ShotgunDawg
07-23-2018, 10:04 AM
My solution: Moorhead takes us to Atlanta this year forcing a necessary expansion. Bye bye, M Club.

I think this is the issue.

We are in no-mans land waiting to expand the stadium, but we are without need of extra seats to need to expand the stadium

Thus, we have a stalemate of sorts that leads to having this stagnant, ugly, deer camp quality structure in the most photographed & videoed part of our entire university.

ShotgunDawg
07-23-2018, 10:05 AM
Something more like what Mercer has?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/05/Mercer_University_Homer_and_Ruth_Drake_Field_House .jpg/800px-Mercer_University_Homer_and_Ruth_Drake_Field_House .jpg

Yes, this would be 1,000 times better. Shoot, add some sky boxes in it to pay for the thing

Cooterpoot
07-23-2018, 10:06 AM
Ticket sales are dropping at most schools. It's gotten too expensive for people to go to games. We've probably hit the wall of expansion for awhile.

BrunswickDawg
07-23-2018, 10:07 AM
Yes, this would be 1,000 times better. Shoot, add some sky boxes in it to pay for the thing

Or make it like the Left Field Lofts.....

ShotgunDawg
07-23-2018, 10:11 AM

Even better. Lets not let a sub-par, ugly building lessen Davis Wade Stadium in hopes that we will expand the south endzone in time. We may not expand the south end zone for another 10 years. Meanwhile, we've got an eye sore making the university look cheap on TV in front of millions of viewers.

It's a complicated answer because everyone wants to expand the South end zone, but how long are we going to hold off before addressing this?

I realize it doesn't bother some, many people but it's an eye sore on TV. It really isn't a good look for the university

Matty Dispatch
07-23-2018, 10:13 AM

This is probably the direction. Some form of that Mercer stadium / LA Tech / Left field lofts premium style attraction. I believe the next step in the expansion is a second deck on the North EZ anyway...which will be our last seating expansion. Then this South EZ deal will get built.....maybe with two smaller video boards on the SW and SE corners like Bama has instead of one mega board. 2030 watch out.

Johnson85
07-23-2018, 10:20 AM

If we ever bowl it in, I don't think we'll increase capacity much. The TV experience is just too good to continue to expect a big demand for non-premium seating. My guess is if we do it, we'll primarily fill the space wiht something like the left field lofts, and then add a little bit of seating to fill in the corners, and then I still expect to see us convert more seats to chairbacks, which will reduce capacity for those areas and make the net something close to neutral.

MarcoRubio
07-23-2018, 10:46 AM
If we ever bowl it in, I don't think we'll increase capacity much. The TV experience is just too good to continue to expect a big demand for non-premium seating. My guess is if we do it, we'll primarily fill the space wiht something like the left field lofts, and then add a little bit of seating to fill in the corners, and then I still expect to see us convert more seats to chairbacks, which will reduce capacity for those areas and make the net something close to neutral.

I?ve always thought bowl in the south end zone, add premium seating/sky boxes for revenue. As part of the expansion, convert every seat in the stadium to chair backs. Create the best game day experience for fans in college football. This would limit the numbers added or be nearly neutral. If there?s ever a need to expand capacity after that, add upper decks to both end zones.

bostondawg
07-23-2018, 10:47 AM
I really wish we would bowl in the stadium ASAP. It's probably not a wise financial decision. But I feel like if we sat at 70k+ capacity that would be good for a long time. I'd love to see them mirror the north end zone in the south end zone. But that would be a 60 million dollar project that we probably just can't justify right now. Unpopular opinion of mine, I suppose.

BrunswickDawg
07-23-2018, 10:55 AM
This is probably the direction. Some form of that Mercer stadium / LA Tech / Left field lofts premium style attraction. I believe the next step in the expansion is a second deck on the North EZ anyway...which will be our last seating expansion. Then this South EZ deal will get built.....maybe with two smaller video boards on the SW and SE corners like Bama has instead of one mega board. 2030 watch out.

The trend will definitely be toward more luxury. Chair backs will be the next major trend - and not the BS clip-on kind most stadiums have now. I've sat in them at MSU, UGA, and UF. They are all squeezed in too tight, are not comfortable, and wear out pretty fast. We could figure out the lower bowl capacity with real seats and keep it relatively the same with a SE addition, build the End Zone lofts above it, and still have future expansion capacity with a north endzone 2nd deck. I'd pay more per game for a real seat with cupholders in a heartbeat. You will make the money on the Endzone Lofts to pay for most of the expansion.

PMDawg
07-23-2018, 11:01 AM

If you don't think EXACTLY like Shotgun, then you are "small-minded" and one of the reasons our Athletics aren't better? It's thinking like yours (not like SD's) that holds our University back!

WPDawg
07-23-2018, 11:07 AM

Looks fine to me and certainly not terrible. And I love the open end stadium. Allows campus view from inside the stadium and allows a view in to stadium from the junction. Kind of a campus connector feel. Bowled in stadiums lose that on campus feel. Seems like more modern stadiums (professional viewpoint) try to allow for views that connect to areas outside of stadiums.

Liverpooldawg
07-23-2018, 11:09 AM

Then do something with Dorman.

ScottH
07-23-2018, 11:14 AM
The south endzone expansion will be underway in 2 to 3 years, if I had to guess.

Correct. All premium seating.

End zone along with the indoor tennis center and the Hump renovate are three parallel projects.

Ezsoil
07-23-2018, 11:14 AM
3 times...barely.
2016 - Auburn 60,102
2017 - LSU 60,596
Alabama - 61,344

I would say this year will add 3 games to that list this year

Jack Lambert
07-23-2018, 11:20 AM

Space is a issue with a lot of schools. Not with us. I wish they would add more premium seating on the home side with hard permanent chair backs with cushions like you see in club level at NFL stadiums. Make them big. Then add seating you lose by enclosing the south end zone and make all those seats chair back.

smootness
07-23-2018, 11:25 AM
It looks fine. The jumbotron looks a little strange stuck on the front of it, but it not nearly as bad as you are claiming.

Bully13
07-23-2018, 11:31 AM
Can the Jumbotron be moved to another location?

ScoobaDawg
07-23-2018, 12:14 PM
Can the Jumbotron be moved to another location?

Highly unlikely. the cost to take it down and put back together would likely be more than replacing it. As I mentioned..it's also 10 years old now.

mstatefan91
07-23-2018, 12:17 PM
I do like the idea of increasing premium seating in the South Endzone, but there are some other projects that need to be done first.. like renovating the east side concourse/concession area.. that's long overdue

ShotgunDawg
07-23-2018, 12:51 PM
I do like the idea of increasing premium seating in the South Endzone, but there are some other projects that need to be done first.. like renovating the east side concourse/concession area.. that's long overdue

But none of those are seen by millions of people on TV.

You're wanting to fix the inside of the garage before fixing the front porch

AROB44
07-23-2018, 01:06 PM

You're wanting to fix the inside of the garage before fixing the front porch.

Then quit watching on TV....go to the game in person and you won't have to be one of the "millions". The south end zone should not be the top priority.

Pit Bull
07-23-2018, 01:06 PM
The only thing that disappointed me in that structure was they sort of goofed by not building it further towards the junction by about a 100 feet. The last two sections on each side of the southern end of the stadium cannot see the board and the sections next to them have to strain their neck to see it.....and the answer was to build another jumbotron on the north end of the stadium. So we spent around 15 million (from what I hear) to build that gigantic south end jumbotron. Now we are going to tear it down....hmmm.....we must be flush with dough. There's a unique concept in most really good engineering schools and in good engineering itself. It's called planning. Sometimes I wonder if we teach our grads about planning and the costs of poor or no planning for at least 20 years down the road.

mstatefan91
07-23-2018, 01:15 PM

You're wanting to fix the inside of the garage before fixing the front porch
Cool. They're seen by me 6-7 times a year. I'd like something done about it before I witness some old timer break a hip trying to go to the bathroom or get a hotdog.. but glad you have your priorities straight

Pit Bull
07-23-2018, 01:21 PM
The trend will definitely be toward more luxury. Chair backs will be the next major trend - and not the BS clip-on kind most stadiums have now. I've sat in them at MSU, UGA, and UF. They are all squeezed in too tight, are not comfortable, and wear out pretty fast. We could figure out the lower bowl capacity with real seats and keep it relatively the same with a SE addition, build the End Zone lofts above it, and still have future expansion capacity with a north endzone 2nd deck. I'd pay more per game for a real seat with cupholders in a heartbeat. You will make the money on the Endzone Lofts to pay for most of the expansion.

I've been advocating chairbacks in place of all bleacher seats. Even if it means we drop back to an even 60,000 capacity. More leg room, escalators to move more people faster. Then after a few years, look at adding in the south endzone or evening up the two upper decks to match each other. I think 65K will be our top bar for the next 10-15 years. Make the stadium more comfortable, easy to get around, and just plain enjoyable. We are now competing directly with the 60" flat screen HD tv in your living room with the fridge and bathroom only a room away.....plus all with air conditioning,

ShotgunDawg
07-23-2018, 01:24 PM
Cool. They're seen by me 6-7 times a year. I'd like something done about it before I witness some old timer break a hip trying to go to the bathroom or get a hotdog.. but glad you have your priorities straight

My priorities are for the greater good of university & that is to fix the M-club, something far more visual, before working underneath the stadium.

Who's to say your priorities are correct?

mstatefan91
07-23-2018, 01:26 PM
My priorities are for the greater good of university & that is to fix the M-club, something far more visual, before working underneath the stadium.

Oh ok $$$$>fan safety

Yep, you've got them straight

ShotgunDawg
07-23-2018, 01:28 PM
Oh ok $$$$>fan safety

Yep, you've got them straight

Really, fan safety because you saw an old man fall?

I've never in my life walked underneath the East side of the stadium & felt unsafe. I've seen people trip in the Junction as well. Perhaps we should make sure that is perfectly level before we do anything*

mstatefan91
07-23-2018, 01:29 PM
Really, fan safety because you saw an old man fall?

I've never in my life walked underneath the East side of the stadium & felt unsafe. I've seen people trip in the Junction as well. Perhaps we should make sure that is perfectly level before we do anything*

You're seriously trying to argue money is more important than fan safety.. Take a step back.. you don't have the moral high ground on this one.

Dawg61
07-23-2018, 01:32 PM

M Club looks fine but I do find it entertaining when you want to spend $30 million of MSU's money.

Dawg61
07-23-2018, 01:34 PM

I think it's about 1,000th on the list but maybe if you type it 400 more times it'll move up to 999th most important.

ShotgunDawg
07-23-2018, 01:35 PM
You're seriously trying to argue money is more important than fan safety.. Take a step back.. you don't have the moral high ground on this one.

Not at all. I think it's ridiculous to argue that the East side concourse is unsafe.

If I actually thought there was anything unsafe about it, I would completely agree it should be the number 1 priority

ShotgunDawg
07-23-2018, 01:36 PM
M Club looks fine but I do find it entertaining when you want to spend $30 million of MSU's money.

Oh, MSU is going to spend $30 mil anyway. I'm just making a case towards where it should be allocated

mstatefan91
07-23-2018, 01:38 PM
Not at all. I think it's ridiculous to argue that the East side concourse is unsafe.

If I actually thought there was anything unsafe about it, I would completely agree it should be the number 1 priority

To a person of normal health? Probably not. To someone with a disability or older? Yes, it is a safety concern. It slopes down and is an uneven slope at that.. there are structures in the way of moving freely as well such as the walkways up into the seating area.. The west side is much more safe

Liverpooldawg
07-23-2018, 01:40 PM

Under the stands on the east side is needed much worse than something that offends you when you see on TV.

Dawg61
07-23-2018, 01:42 PM
Oh, MSU is going to spend $30 mil anyway. I'm just making a case towards where it should be allocated

Then make a case towards updating the Hump. M Club looks fine dude you're making a mountain outta nothing. I have never once in my entire life heard another fan say the M Club looks like a shit till you said it 20 times in this thread.

Lord McBuckethead
07-23-2018, 04:20 PM
Yeah, Dorman across the junction. Wait, you captured both of them in one shot.

Lord McBuckethead
07-23-2018, 04:22 PM
To a person of normal health? Probably not. To someone with a disability or older? Yes, it is a safety concern. It slopes down and is an uneven slope at that.. there are structures in the way of moving freely as well such as the walkways up into the seating area.. The west side is much more safe

Yeah the Southern Miss game a couple years ago, I slipped on the West side and knocked myself out on the pavement for a bit. Dislocated my shoulder, slight tear of my Labrum. Yeah, the west side is safer?
In all fairness, they textured and repainted the west side ramps that week between games. Still doesn't help my shoulder though.

Lord McBuckethead
07-23-2018, 04:32 PM
If it were me, I would do the following.

Continue the bottom seating bowl across the endzone adding around 2000 seats. I would make a premium seating area similar to the gridiron club in that area down low.
I would add a party deck area that the M-Club opens into on the upper level on both sides including the junction side.
I would incorporate a large cowbell into the design so big pocket donors and prime recruits can ring the bell 2 hours and 1 hour before the game, letting everyone in the junction know its time to get into the game.
Upper levels to include the new M-Club banquet areas and premium seating decks and boxes.

Re-design the jumbotron into the design above the new building.
Redesign the north jumbotron to match. Big white back looks terrible.

I would take down dorman and relocate those people to a new building in front of the Landscape Architecture building.
Getting really crazy, I would put a new gameday center or something where dorman currently is. With classrooms on the upper floors.
Gameday center to include:
Catering pickup
concessions
restrooms for tailgating
rock climbing wall
large artificial turf area - agility challenge with a large door like a hangar to open up the space.
TV's everywhere for the people that do not have a tailgate
band stage
cornhole competition space

Most importantly, a building with actual appeal to it better than dorman.

Todd4State
07-23-2018, 04:38 PM

The truth is we need a new M-Club Building and we also need to do something about the ramps. The ramps are WAY too steep on the West side to be ADA approved- no question in my mind. The issue is that the structure was built in the 1930's I believe way before ADA.

Now that said, I agree with Shotgun that the M-Club building needs to go/be enclosed with premium seating. My parents are M-Club members and as I have shared before it is so bad that my parents will not go to games anymore. There is nowhere for them to sit unless you drag a chair in front of the window and hope you get there before some former MSU o-linemen or basketball player gets there first. And sitting up there is weird- it's like a vacuum. You can see the people cheering but there is no sound except for when the cannon is fired after a MSU score. And even that is muted quite a bit. Our former athletes deserve a better place to watch the game.

And I think that will happen in the next few years probably.

Lord McBuckethead
07-23-2018, 04:39 PM
The only thing that disappointed me in that structure was they sort of goofed by not building it further towards the junction by about a 100 feet. The last two sections on each side of the southern end of the stadium cannot see the board and the sections next to them have to strain their neck to see it.....and the answer was to build another jumbotron on the north end of the stadium. So we spent around 15 million (from what I hear) to build that gigantic south end jumbotron. Now we are going to tear it down....hmmm.....we must be flush with dough. There's a unique concept in most really good engineering schools and in good engineering itself. It's called planning. Sometimes I wonder if we teach our grads about planning and the costs of poor or no planning for at least 20 years down the road.

Yeah, they planned for the jumbotron to cover the eyesore and the eyesores roof.

BuckyIsAB****
07-23-2018, 04:54 PM
Yeah Im not with ya on this one Gun.

I dont think anybody pays attention or gives a shit.

mstatefan91
07-23-2018, 05:30 PM
Yeah the Southern Miss game a couple years ago, I slipped on the West side and knocked myself out on the pavement for a bit. Dislocated my shoulder, slight tear of my Labrum. Yeah, the west side is safer?
In all fairness, they textured and repainted the west side ramps that week between games. Still doesn't help my shoulder though.

The truth is we need a new M-Club Building and we also need to do something about the ramps. The ramps are WAY too steep on the West side to be ADA approved- no question in my mind. The issue is that the structure was built in the 1930's I believe way before ADA.

Now that said, I agree with Shotgun that the M-Club building needs to go/be enclosed with premium seating. My parents are M-Club members and as I have shared before it is so bad that my parents will not go to games anymore. There is nowhere for them to sit unless you drag a chair in front of the window and hope you get there before some former MSU o-linemen or basketball player gets there first. And sitting up there is weird- it's like a vacuum. You can see the people cheering but there is no sound except for when the cannon is fired after a MSU score. And even that is muted quite a bit. Our former athletes deserve a better place to watch the game.

And I think that will happen in the next few years probably.

Not sure if you guys mean East or West in your posts. The East side ramps are 10 times as big/steep as the West side ramps

Goldendawg
07-23-2018, 05:54 PM
Ticket sales are dropping at most schools. It's gotten too expensive for people to go to games. We've probably hit the wall of expansion for awhile.

The change in the tax code really hurts also, not getting to count off Bulldog Club contributions. BTW, I read that UM season ticket FB sales on really down ( offering seats next to those already bought, but unsold for 1/2 price for the tickets and 1/2 off the seating contribution to purchase). This was discussed in a NaFoom thread. We too, offer the discounted 3 and 4 game packages. Most all games being televised doesn't help. I think many schools are showing a decline in attendance.

jacksondawg
07-23-2018, 06:18 PM
If it were me, I would do the following.

Continue the bottom seating bowl across the endzone adding around 2000 seats. I would make a premium seating area similar to the gridiron club in that area down low.
I would add a party deck area that the M-Club opens into on the upper level on both sides including the junction side.
I would incorporate a large cowbell into the design so big pocket donors and prime recruits can ring the bell 2 hours and 1 hour before the game, letting everyone in the junction know its time to get into the game.
Upper levels to include the new M-Club banquet areas and premium seating decks and boxes.

Re-design the jumbotron into the design above the new building.
Redesign the north jumbotron to match. Big white back looks terrible.

I would take down dorman and relocate those people to a new building in front of the Landscape Architecture building.
Getting really crazy, I would put a new gameday center or something where dorman currently is. With classrooms on the upper floors.
Gameday center to include:
Catering pickup
concessions
restrooms for tailgating
rock climbing wall
large artificial turf area - agility challenge with a large door like a hangar to open up the space.
TV's everywhere for the people that do not have a tailgate
band stage
cornhole competition space

Most importantly, a building with actual appeal to it better than dorman.

I like where your going with game day center but I?ve always thought it would be a cool place for an on campus hotel that had balconies overlooking the junction and a parking garage on the back side.

DawgFromOxford
07-23-2018, 07:04 PM
Even better. Lets not let a sub-par, ugly building lessen Davis Wade Stadium in hopes that we will expand the south endzone in time. We may not expand the south end zone for another 10 years. Meanwhile, we've got an eye sore making the university look cheap on TV in front of millions of viewers.

It's a complicated answer because everyone wants to expand the South end zone, but how long are we going to hold off before addressing this?

I realize it doesn't bother some, many people but it's an eye sore on TV. It really isn't a good look for the university

Easy solution. Go to the games and quit watching on tv and you won't notice the eye sore. (Kidding... kinda).
I'm confused though? Your solution is to tear down the M Club, replace it with a nicer looking building, and then tear that building down 7 or 8 years after its built to expand seating in that portion of the stadium? Yeah cause that makes a lot of sense.

Does the M Club look great? No. Does the M Club look like atrocious? Also no.

RocketDawg
07-23-2018, 07:29 PM

Yeah, it's pretty bad. I was afraid the place was going to collapse before I had a chance to leave. The structure makes Ole Miss's latest addition look solid.

RocketDawg
07-23-2018, 07:33 PM

Could bowl it in and put chairbacks everywhere except in the student section. It'd keep about the same capacity and enable some more premium seats to be sold. Plus, it would look good.

Gotta be careful about limiting yourself to no further expansions though ... might need them 25 years down the road, or might not even need what we have now if the concussion thing curtails football.

RocketDawg
07-23-2018, 07:40 PM

Somebody mentioned Cohen wants an indoor tennis facility ... and that's something that none of us will ever see, and will only benefit a handful of athletes. Hate to say it, but I don't really care if we have a tennis team or not .... It's certainly not something I can see us spending millions on.

Lord McBuckethead
07-23-2018, 07:41 PM
Not sure if you guys mean East or West in your posts. The East side ramps are 10 times as big/steep as the West side ramps

I will have to disagree with the east being "steeper". I have sat on both sides within the past two years, the west side I
Ramps for the lower bowl are shorter, but at a steeper grade.

Lord McBuckethead
07-23-2018, 07:47 PM
I like where your going with game day center but I?ve always thought it would be a cool place for an on campus hotel that had balconies overlooking the junction and a parking garage on the back side.

Not a big fan of on campus hotels, but it could be something.
I just know that classroom space is needed right now. Also, Ole Miss is working on a 150 million dollar STEM building. Which is 5X the facility than our new STEM building is going to be. Wish our 30 million dollar new one both looked a little more significant and going where Dorman is currently.

Seems like a no brainier to highlight our engineering school at this new Dorman spot and do it big. 70-90 million.

RocketDawg
07-23-2018, 07:47 PM

That's true, it could have been set back a bit. And it's going to be in the way if we ever do bowl in the south. But the big one in the south endzone is the one I find myself looking at all the time. To me, the picture quality is much better, and the one on the north end is a bit too small to see well from my lousy club level seat on the south goal line. Even if I have to strain a little to see it, I like it better.

Goldendawg
07-23-2018, 07:49 PM
Are we still going to have the "trolley cars" in front of the M Club building this year or did they go the way of the cabanas? Two seating answers that I wasn't too sure of whom asked the questions.**

RocketDawg
07-23-2018, 07:49 PM

Just curious ... where are you season tickets located? East or west?

RocketDawg
07-23-2018, 07:51 PM

Just imagine how it was before they installed handrails, in Davis Wade and in the Hump. It was impossible for an older person to navigate.

Lord McBuckethead
07-23-2018, 08:35 PM
There is nothing unsafe about the ramps on either side of the stadium. True, they do not meet ADA requriements. Some things in this world just do not meet the ADA requirements. Not to mention, those ramps are not required to meet ADA.

Johnson85
07-24-2018, 08:53 AM
The change in the tax code really hurts also, not getting to count off Bulldog Club contributions. BTW, I read that UM season ticket FB sales on really down ( offering seats next to those already bought, but unsold for 1/2 price for the tickets and 1/2 off the seating contribution to purchase). This was discussed in a NaFoom thread. We too, offer the discounted 3 and 4 game packages. Most all games being televised doesn't help. I think many schools are showing a decline in attendance.

Our discount ticket package is a great deal. I figured we must have a lot of capacity to offer a deal like that.

Outsider
07-24-2018, 11:11 AM
Is there some reason why they didn't put the scoreboard on top of the building instead of in front of it? I just think that they could have engineered it to incorporate the legs into the building.

ScoobaDawg
07-24-2018, 11:24 AM
Is there some reason why they didn't put the scoreboard on top of the building instead of in front of it? I just think that they could have engineered it to incorporate the legs into the building.
$$$ you would have had to re-engineer basically the whole building to have that thing sitting on top.. Might as well tear the whole thing down and start over at that point

Outsider
07-24-2018, 11:34 AM
Granted, I am not an engineer, but simply building the supports into the walls does not seem to be a huge engineering feat. Even if it was on the outer walls, just not in front. That's my only complaint. One thing is for sure, the outside part of the building and the back of the scoreboard are very impressive and looks great on TV.

https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/fan/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmaroonandwhitenation.com%2 Ffiles%2F2014%2F12%2FBzrarnpCYAAaWpS.jpg&c=sc&w=850&h=560

ShotgunDawg
07-24-2018, 11:44 AM
Just curious ... where are you season tickets located? East or west?

East actually