PDA

View Full Version : Watching All Joe Moorhead YouTube videos

Lord McBuckethead
07-21-2018, 10:23 PM
Look, I took a little time listening and watching Joe's videos on YouTube this evening. A few thoughts.

1st, this guy is smart. His discussions at SEC media days about the way his staff is organizing the fall practice schedule, the post spring playbook review, analyzing the players potential capabilities, etc just gets the point across. We hear Saban's "program" stuff from time to time. I think Moorhead has that mentality. It's not a money ball mentality, but definitely looks like the staff has a specific well thought out plan for success.

2. The staff's recruiting plan seems to be a clear higher level than what we are used to. Mullen obviously got talent to Starkville, but it seems like Moorhead's staff is both more professional and a better plan of attack on every level. The way he talks about fundamentals, best 11 guys performing, etc has to play well with both high school coaches and players that want to both Excel at this level and be showcased in the offense or defense.

3. Watching Matt Wyatt's breakdown on Moorhead's offense at both Penn State and our spring game really highlights that Moorhead has a system that puts great amounts of pressure on the defense. Combine that with Moorhead's video from Fordham and man....I am ready to see this offense get it going. Just the way every play has contingencies and areas of attack, man it's going to be nice not to know we are running a 165 halfback between the tackles on 3 and 8 against bama. The last three years, it seemed like I could call our plays about 80% of the time. Going to be good to showcase our players.

4. This guy is going to win. Moorhead is going to win and get great players. High school coaches are going to love this guy. High school players are going to want to play for this guy. No doubt about it.

Todd4State
07-22-2018, 12:08 AM
1. I agree. I was sold on the Bruce Feldman article that I read a few days before we hired him. After that article I was convinced that he was a football genius and I remember thinking to myself that even though I expected to Cohen to hire Jeremy Pruitt, if it were up to me I would hire Moorhead. I was very happy the next day when I learned that he was the front runner for the job and even more pleased when we hired him. His planning sort of reminds me of Bill Walsh a little bit where there is a plan for every situation and it is practiced and also from an organizational perspective.

2. Before Moorhead I thought our recruiting ceiling was top 15-20. Joe Moorhead is showing me that I was wrong and it's probably more like 10-15. Dan had below average people skills and it seemed to me like his attitude was almost "commit now and don't take any more visits or **** off." Even worse he had several weak recruiters on his staff especially on the offensive side of the ball who were as bad or worse than himself. And having your sidepiece in charge of recruiting is just an absolute joke. Dan hurt us worse in recruiting that Ole Miss cheating ever did.

3. I agree 100%. And the SEC hasn't seen an offense like this. Dan's favorite default was the QB run up the middle. I think Dan's panic goes back to what you said in number one- he wasn't prepared for something strenuous to happen so in close games he usually panicked and just told Dak or Fitz to run up the middle and perform a miracle. With the other team knowing it was coming. It got to the point where QB run up the middle wasn't even working against people like UMass anymore.

4. I also agree 100%. I can't wait for Joe to do his thing so that I don't have to hear people tell me "but......but...….Dan was our best coach ever!"

BrunswickDawg
07-22-2018, 11:36 AM
Todd - your #3 can't be stated enough. I would pair with it that Dan seems to be very good about scripting the first couple of drives. When those went right - we captured momentum out of the gate and it seemed to keep Dan's brain focused for a while on the game. Then, about half way thru the 3rd quarter, Dan would get tired or something, and just seem to go thru the motions to get the game over with.

And if that script didn't work? You can give it up, we would be down a quick 21 and be running the QB the whole game - seemingly just trying to end it.

Lord McBuckethead
07-22-2018, 12:00 PM
Well it's as simple as the discussion about the progressions and the windows to make throws all combined with the route options the WR have based on coverages. If ran correctly, that seems hell on wheels to defend. This is where I am interested to see how well they implement in the fall camp. If we come out clicking, WR and QB on the same page for the most part, it could be an attack that can go big when needed and punish underneath when warranted. Just my opinion.

Moorhead demonstrated from one play, how the offense needs to react to given situations. One play had 20 variations. That is going to fun to watch.

On the other side of the coin, Dan looked like he was squeezing a square peg in a round hole just to prove he could a bunch the past 9 years. Not to take anything away from Mullen, but it seemed like most routes were set and if they couldn't get separation, well tuck it an run.

Lord McBuckethead
07-22-2018, 12:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm7Re_wsyGs&t=652s
Fordham interview on his offense.

Film Study - Same flood concept, but seeing a little more about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-qrEeNBKTo

Start watching at 5:30 - Prep for season discussion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCpqMYsWKCI

dawgday166
07-22-2018, 02:27 PM
[QUOTE=Todd4State;973003]1. I agree. I was sold on the Bruce Feldman article that I read a few days before we hired him. After that article I was convinced that he was a football genius and I remember thinking to myself that even though I expected to Cohen to hire Jeremy Pruitt, if it were up to me I would hire Moorhead. I was very happy the next day when I learned that he was the front runner for the job and even more pleased when we hired him. His planning sort of reminds me of Bill Walsh a little bit where there is a plan for every situation and it is practiced and also from an organizational perspective.

This makes me hopeful we can run better 2 minute offenses in the future. Seemed like every time we had to execute those with Dan, it looked like we had never practiced those situations that much and Dan always had that deer in the headlights look to him.

maroonmania
07-22-2018, 02:39 PM
Todd - your #3 can't be stated enough. I would pair with it that Dan seems to be very good about scripting the first couple of drives. When those went right - we captured momentum out of the gate and it seemed to keep Dan's brain focused for a while on the game. Then, about half way thru the 3rd quarter, Dan would get tired or something, and just seem to go thru the motions to get the game over with.

And if that script didn't work? You can give it up, we would be down a quick 21 and be running the QB the whole game - seemingly just trying to end it.

Mullen's offense would be much more effective as is if he would be willing to take a few more shots down the field to loosen the defense up a little and to be able to score now and again without counting on a 15 play drive. How many passes did we attempt last year 30 yards or more beyond the line of scrimmage? I doubt it was much more than 10 for the entire year. I realize part of the problem was not having WRs that could get open down the field but that was on Mullen and his lazy recruiters.

TrapGame
07-22-2018, 02:49 PM
There's a lot of other SEC fan bases thinking we got left at the altar by Mullen and Joe is a poor substitute. They are going to be totally shocked and green with envy when we have the best offense in the SEC next season. We all know Finebaum's ugly ass will be pimping Joe out to "better" programs by November. CJM will be the hot head coach in CFB next season. Everybody just sit back, smile and enjoy it.

Ezsoil
07-22-2018, 06:53 PM
There's a lot of other SEC fan bases thinking we got left at the altar by Mullen and Joe is a poor substitute. They are going to be totally shocked and green with envy when we have the best offense in the SEC next season. We all know Finebaum's ugly ass will be pimping Joe out to "better" programs by November. CJM will be the hot head coach in CFB next season. Everybody just sit back, smile and enjoy it.

Well I’m feeling all wooly about our defense... I see it as better than 2014 and 1999. .if Moorhead can open up the offense like we think we can....this team can be special...

jackindabox
07-22-2018, 07:06 PM
MSU is going to win the SEC west. The conference championship I'm not sure. Georgia is going to be stout. State's defensive rush is so dominant as long as the corners can intercept tipped balls and deflect underthrown passes teams will be lucky to score 20 points. Moorheads answer to the question about Alabama and Auburn got me fired up. He said in those games they are competing against a standard not a team and you win those games by winning explosive plays and turnover margins which means State is going to be aggressive as hell, which is awesome. Even if it doesn't work out and backfires that mentality is great. With fitzgerald returning and if Moorhead is half as smart as he sounds the offense should average well over 30 against teams struggling to score 20.

BuckyIsAB****
07-22-2018, 07:15 PM
Look, I took a little time listening and watching Joe's videos on YouTube this evening. A few thoughts.

1st, this guy is smart. His discussions at SEC media days about the way his staff is organizing the fall practice schedule, the post spring playbook review, analyzing the players potential capabilities, etc just gets the point across. We hear Saban's "program" stuff from time to time. I think Moorhead has that mentality. It's not a money ball mentality, but definitely looks like the staff has a specific well thought out plan for success.

2. The staff's recruiting plan seems to be a clear higher level than what we are used to. Mullen obviously got talent to Starkville, but it seems like Moorhead's staff is both more professional and a better plan of attack on every level. The way he talks about fundamentals, best 11 guys performing, etc has to play well with both high school coaches and players that want to both Excel at this level and be showcased in the offense or defense.

3. Watching Matt Wyatt's breakdown on Moorhead's offense at both Penn State and our spring game really highlights that Moorhead has a system that puts great amounts of pressure on the defense. Combine that with Moorhead's video from Fordham and man....I am ready to see this offense get it going. Just the way every play has contingencies and areas of attack, man it's going to be nice not to know we are running a 165 halfback between the tackles on 3 and 8 against bama. The last three years, it seemed like I could call our plays about 80% of the time. Going to be good to showcase our players.

4. This guy is going to win. Moorhead is going to win and get great players. High school coaches are going to love this guy. High school players are going to want to play for this guy. No doubt about it.

4. Is already true. He has a couple of kids on our team that I thought we wouldnt have much of a shot at taking multiple visits.

Todd4State
07-22-2018, 07:23 PM
Well I’m feeling all wooly about our defense... I see it as better than 2014 and 1999. .if Moorhead can open up the offense like we think we can....this team can be special...

2014- Yes. 1999- I'll believe it when I see it. I hope you are right.

Homedawg
07-22-2018, 07:37 PM
Just hope you people that want 2 backs are prepared. It's not happening. 11 personell. Period. He uses it to his advantage. So stop before you ask for it, Please dear sweet baby Jesus.

Jack Lambert
07-22-2018, 08:59 PM
MSU is going to win the SEC west. The conference championship I'm not sure. Georgia is going to be stout. State's defensive rush is so dominant as long as the corners can intercept tipped balls and deflect underthrown passes teams will be lucky to score 20 points. Moorheads answer to the question about Alabama and Auburn got me fired up. He said in those games they are competing against a standard not a team and you win those games by winning explosive plays and turnover margins which means State is going to be aggressive as hell, which is awesome. Even if it doesn't work out and backfires that mentality is great. With fitzgerald returning and if Moorhead is half as smart as he sounds the offense should average well over 30 against teams struggling to score 20.

First if we can go to Bama and win beating GA in atlanta can be done. Plus GA is losing a lot of leadership off their team. I guess we can still win the SEC west losing to Bama but I don't know if Bama will lose two games.

BuckyIsAB****
07-22-2018, 09:36 PM
Just hope you people that want 2 backs are prepared. It's not happening. 11 personell. Period. He uses it to his advantage. So stop before you ask for it, Please dear sweet baby Jesus.

I'd be willing to bet he runs some open and uses Fitz and Key at the same time