PDA

View Full Version : Blast From the Past. One of the Greatest Athletes of the 20th Century. ALI

Bully13
07-20-2018, 05:50 PM
And the king of video clips with not only his fists but his mouth. His popularity world wide was insane. As a 12 year old, I'd never seen anything like it and to this day he's my favorite boxer of all time. The way he ran his mouth, his humor, his style of boxing that blew audiences minds with a heavy weight that could dance around with both fists dangling around his hips instead of constantly being up high guarding his head. Dodging blow after blow with super eye sight and reflexes instead of his gloves. Then at the right time, turned in offensive fashion that was so fast and punishing.

I love that clip too where later on there was a guy who belittled him for changing his name and Ali referred to him as an "Uncle Tom". After the Final Bell, Ali was screaming at him "What's My NAME!!" Over and Over. Good Shit.

And don't forget, had it not been for Ali VS Buckner, there would be no Rocky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyhqZNcF9pM

Pit Bull
07-21-2018, 03:11 AM
That's all well and good, but I don't have much respect for Cassius when he dodged the draft. My little girl is currently serving in the middle east eating dust and worrying if the Muslim base contract security will go postal on her with automatic weapons.

Bully13
07-21-2018, 06:04 AM
That's all well and good, but I don't have much respect for Cassius when he dodged the draft. My little girl is currently serving in the middle east eating dust and worrying if the Muslim base contract security will go postal on her with automatic weapons.

God Bless You and Your Daughter who is Serving Pit. I was just 9 or so when I would watch boxing back in the early 70's. Glory Years of Heavy Weight Boxing if you ask me. I wished had had not conducted his war protest in Name Changing Religious fashion but at the time, I wasn't into political opinion only watching him jack around with Howard Cosell or in the ring. All my buds hated him because their dads instructed them to, mine didn't. Those memories of enjoying watching him are just too deeply ingrained to throw away cuz of Vietnam.

It's also easier for me to swallow that part as my opinion differs from most on that war. In that situation, if you can't arm citizens and convince them to either fight for their own country or be taken over by communists then it ain't worth fighting for. We coulda loaded The South Military to the T with guns and shit with air support as well with our own officers working in conjunction with The South's military. We've had to fight and die for the U.S. for 240 years. This wasn't one of those time though IMO. I disagree with U.S. combat boots for that war.