PDA

View Full Version : MS high school recruiting

SmokeyDawg
07-20-2018, 01:53 AM
For those closer to the situation than me. Has the recruiting in MS high schools changed over the last couple of years or is it simply the talent in this upcoming class? Is there easier access to camps to be seen? Are there still diamonds in the rough that are underrated or unrated?

TUSK
07-20-2018, 02:16 AM
For those closer to the situation than me. Has the recruiting in MS high schools changed over the last couple of years or is it simply the talent in this upcoming class? Is there easier access to camps to be seen? Are there still diamonds in the rough that are underrated or unrated?

I'm just a simple Bammer, but geographically close to you cats... MS has a "bumper crop" this cycle, no doubt... there's an inordinate number of 4 and 5 star cats from the Magnolia State this year, IMO...

RE: "diamonds in the rough"... No Habla, Senor....

SmokeyDawg
07-20-2018, 02:35 AM
There's no doubt this class is talented and I know there's always talented high school players that get passed up for one reason or another. What I'm referring to are the guys that have come through state, made it to the league, or created a name for themselves that were overlooked. Granted we needed to find those players more so than we do now, but do players in that category have an easier path to be evaluated than in years passed?

smootness
07-20-2018, 09:25 AM
There will always be players that are overlooked that go on to make a name for themselves. Look at Baker Mayfield, that kid is from Texas.

I do think exposure will continue to increase for smaller school guys as recruiting services and scouting expand. But a kid like Benardrick McKinney, who is a tall, skinny QB at a small school? He'll always be overlooked. These scouting services are going primarily off what they're seeing/hearing from schools, so if a school projects somebody like that as a MLB, the services won't just suddenly see the athlete they are and give them 4*. They have no way of measuring a player like that, so he'll continue to be overlooked.