PDA

View Full Version : New Bowl game with SEC tie in......

Pit Bull
07-18-2018, 11:00 PM
.....read where the Las Vegas Bowl will feature a SEC/PAC-10 matchup in the near future. Not sure if one of our current bowl games will drop to add this one, but it will eventually move into the brand new Las Vegas NFL stadium currently under construction. One of their concerns would be how well a SEC fanbase would travel to fill its ticket allotment.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/6/7/17437892/las-vegas-bowl-ties-raiders-stadium

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/sec-team-could-play-bowl-game-vegas/HjL3Mv9l6rUSMma6F1K19K/?src=rss

Goldendawg
07-18-2018, 11:07 PM
The number of bowl games in out of hand. Don't even have to have a winning record anymore.

preachermatt83
07-18-2018, 11:24 PM
The number of bowl games in out of hand. Don't even have to have a winning record anymore.

This!!! This is also why dan Mullen's "bowl streak" claim here is vastly over emphasized

Goldendawg
07-18-2018, 11:41 PM
[QUOTE=preachermatt83;972223]This!!! This is also why dan Mullen's "bowl streak" claim here is vastly over emphasized[/Q

Even a 6-6 team shouldn't be bowl eligible. Where's the glory in losing the bowl, ending up 6-7 with a losing record? I remember when bowls were a reward for a successful winning season, not just for a "participation trophy" in a stadium that is only 1/3 or so filled. One of Jackie's teams was left out of a bowl with a 7-5 record. As long as TV and corporate $ pay the bills we will see a never ending number of meaningless bowl games. JMO.

TUSK
07-18-2018, 11:44 PM
I seem to recall being in a "Confidence Pick'em Bowl Season" pool in the late 80s and there were close to 20 bowls...

And I said to myself, "Self, bowls don't mean a damn thing anymore when you have unranked 6-5 Texas Western of Utah Arlington State facing off versus unranked 7-4 East Central Pennsylvania Poli-Tech"...

And now we have like 40 of em....

Todd4State
07-18-2018, 11:44 PM

I never have understood the argument that too much football is a bad thing?

And this is not a new bowl- it's a new tie in.

Todd4State
07-18-2018, 11:53 PM
[QUOTE=preachermatt83;972223]This!!! This is also why dan Mullen's "bowl streak" claim here is vastly over emphasized[/Q

Even a 6-6 team shouldn't be bowl eligible. Where's the glory in losing the bowl, ending up 6-7 with a losing record? I remember when bowls were a reward for a successful winning season, not just for a "participation trophy" in a stadium that is only 1/3 or so filled. One of Jackie's teams was left out of a bowl with a 7-5 record. As long as TV and corporate $ pay the bills we will see a never ending number of meaningless bowl games. JMO.

I think it's cool in a way that you don't have to finish the season with a win the National Championship Game to have a successful season. It's not like whoever wins the Pinstripe Bowl is getting extensive National recognition for it. I think it's great filler for the holiday season myself. If I have to choose between watching Ohio and San Jose State versus Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer....well, go Bobcats!

I remember watching Houston and Hawaii play on Christmas Eve in the Hawaii Bowl and a brawl broke out at the end. The mascot got involved...all the while ESPN played Christmas music. It was great!

Plus, being a MSU/SEC fan I don't really get to see a lot of those teams and as a football fan I like to see different teams and different offenses and schemes. Every once in awhile catch up with an old MSU coach like Manny Diaz or Joe Lee Dunn when they were at La Tech and Memphis.

Cooterpoot
07-19-2018, 06:11 AM
All these useless bowl games and the playoff system have helped our program. I wouldn’t discount them or complain too much.

Pit Bull
07-19-2018, 06:25 AM
The one thing that interests me about this one is yes, it is not a new bowl....so to speak. It normally matches up the PAC-10 vs Mountain West conf. Appears the Mountain West is being dropped and the SEC added due to fan interest in the Las Vegas area. Sounds like the MWC is not happy about it either. I do think it is nice to get to play a PAC-10 in a bowl, however, I would prefer playing them in the Sun Bowl in El Paso.....half of my family is from there. But a lot more more to do in Las Vegas plus in a new NFL stadium should be pretty cool. I'm glad it's an indoor stadium due to the sun exposure you would get for a day game......shade in both Vegas's are indeed a nice thing to have!

msstate7
07-19-2018, 06:30 AM
This!!! This is also why dan Mullen's "bowl streak" claim here is vastly over emphasized

We're 5th in the sec in current bowl streak. Why do you wanna downplay something that paints us in a good light?

Liverpooldawg
07-19-2018, 07:56 AM
I never have understood the argument that too much football is a bad thing?

And this is not a new bowl- it's a new tie in.

Me either. It basically adds 4 more weekends where there is at least SOME college football to watch. That is NOT a bad thing.

Liverpooldawg
07-19-2018, 07:58 AM
We're 5th in the sec in current bowl streak. Why do you wanna downplay something that paints us in a good light?

This all day. I swear some folks treat Mullen like they just went through a nasty divorce with him. What Mullen did we also did. When you downplay him, you are doing the same to MSU. Enough already.

Jack Lambert
07-19-2018, 07:59 AM
I love bowl games. I watch as many as I can. My point of view is I love college football and the bowl season is another month and half of college football to watch. So what if you have two 6-6 teams playing. You still have the news years bowl games that keeps the prestige of the bowl games and the covenant games you want your team in.

Liverpooldawg
07-19-2018, 08:04 AM
The SEC needed a tie in with the PAC.

BulldogDX55
07-19-2018, 09:58 AM
If you are arguing against more college football, you are wrong.

Also, about damn time we got the opportunity to crush a PAC-12 school.

DawgNamedScuba
07-19-2018, 10:41 AM
This just gives me another reason to go to vegas

Jack Lambert
07-19-2018, 10:42 AM
This just gives me another reason to go to vegas

Degenerate. :)

DawgNamedScuba
07-19-2018, 10:45 AM
Degenerate. :)

I wonder if the vegas stripclubs allow cowbells??

Bothrops
07-19-2018, 11:00 AM
I heard they want to have 60 bowls by 2030. Haha just kidding, but Vegas getting an SEC tie-in is awesome. I wish the SEC could get tied in with the Alamo Bowl too.

thf24
07-19-2018, 11:14 AM
I have no problem with a ton of bowl games because it allows that many more smaller programs trying to break through to have the extra practice time. I do wonder though how sustainable continuing to add bowls is financially though. It's hard to see how all involved parties don't lose money in some of the lowest profile games whose teams' fans don't travel well, TV or not.

Offshore Dawg
07-19-2018, 01:38 PM
I have no problem with a ton of bowl games because it allows that many more smaller programs trying to break through to have the extra practice time. I do wonder though how sustainable continuing to add bowls is financially though. It's hard to see how all involved parties don't lose money in some of the lowest profile games whose teams' fans don't travel well, TV or not.

Didn't Southern Miss go to Hawaii or was it Houston, either way that stadium lost their ass with an empty stadium.