PDA

View Full Version : Alabama Only Returns 10 Starters

ShotgunDawg
07-18-2018, 01:06 PM
Is this normal for them or is their turnover a little high this year compared to previous years?

I realize that the new guys are all high 4 & 5 star recruits, but having 12 new starters seems like an awful lot.

starkvegasdawg
07-18-2018, 01:24 PM
When half your juniors are probably second round or better draft picks it seems logical.

bostondawg
07-18-2018, 02:45 PM
Is this normal for them or is their turnover a little high this year compared to previous years?

I realize that the new guys are all high 4 & 5 star recruits, but having 12 new starters seems like an awful lot.

It's actually not bad. I'll try to find it but I think Bama actually returns a much more experienced team this year than they did last year.

MarketingBully
07-18-2018, 02:57 PM

I think more importantly then that is these are the two weakest coordinators that Saban has had at Alabama. Neither of them have been coordinators before. He did a horrible job hiring and replacing Dable and Pruitt in the offseason. I know it’s Alabama and all but imo if they struggle it will come down to these two coordinators. I think this is getting overlooked with everyone picking Bama.

I seen it dawg
07-18-2018, 02:58 PM
But they are all 18*s

Jack Lambert
07-18-2018, 03:04 PM
I am assuming the LB's that played against us last year are the one's who will be replacing the starters lost and if so I was not impress with them. They will get better and Davis will still be a beast on the DL.

bostondawg
07-18-2018, 03:08 PM
There was a thread about this on tRant a while back, I'll pull out the synopsis: https://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/least-experienced-most-experienced-rosters-this-upcoming-season-/77636772/

Phil Steele ranks the teams by experience going into every season. His formula is described as: "To formulate a point system, I awarded 3 points for every senior starter (2.5 for every additional senior in the two deep) 2 points for every junior starter (1.5 for every additional junior in the two deep) 1 point for a sophomore starter (0.5 for every additional soph in the two deep) then subtracted 1 point for every frosh starter and .5 for every frosh in the two deep."

Nationally, the list includes the SEC as:
9. Mississippi State
31. Alabama
44. Missouri
44. Vanderbilt
50. Florida
50. Ole Miss
56. Georgia
56. South Carolina
79. Arkansas
84. Kentucky
84. Tennessee
95. Auburn
108. Texas A&M
126. LSU

Going into last season, it looked like (source: https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/phil-steele-ranks-14-sec-teams-based-experience/)
Tennessee (No. 3 overall)
LSU (No. 8)
Vanderbilt (No. 35)
Georgia (No. 37)
Missouri (No. 83)
Kentucky (No. 84)
Arkansas (No. 92)
Auburn (No. 94)
Mississippi State (No. 97)
Ole Miss (No. 100)
Florida (No. 103)
South Carolina (No. 108)
Texas A&M (No. 114)
Alabama (No. 116)

In short, Bama has an exceptionally experienced team by their standards. Also, so do we.

Pit Bull
07-18-2018, 03:23 PM

Anybody else, it might mean something. But with BAMA, it means nothing. They have 3 deep at every position that can win the SECC. IMO, the only thing that matters is stopping their run game. If you cant stop Damien Harris, you will not beat BAMA. We need to hold him less than 100 yds. to have a chance.

LC Dawg
07-18-2018, 03:43 PM
They've still got the guys that determined Ridley was pushed out of bounds so I'm sure they'll be fine.

tireddawg
07-18-2018, 04:07 PM
I think more importantly then that is these are the two weakest coordinators that Saban has had at Alabama. Neither of them have been coordinators before. He did a horrible job hiring and replacing Dable and Pruitt in the offseason. I know it’s Alabama and all but imo if they struggle it will come down to these two coordinators. I think this is getting overlooked with everyone picking Bama.

This sounds like a bit of wishful thinking. Saban has never done a horrible job at anything when it pertains to football.

Jack Lambert
07-18-2018, 04:23 PM
They've still got the guys that determined Ridley was pushed out of bounds so I'm sure they'll be fine.

Yeah it's a shame when you have to beat 19 foe's every play.

Really Clark?
07-18-2018, 04:32 PM
This sounds like a bit of wishful thinking. Saban has never done a horrible job at anything when it pertains to football.

The FG against Auburn was pretty horrible

tireddawg
07-18-2018, 05:59 PM
Yeah Nick had a hammie, not his normal kicking self.

Really Clark?
07-18-2018, 06:06 PM
Yeah Nick had a hammie, not his normal kicking self.

The decision and the decision to have full protection players on the field and nobody who could actually have a chance to making a tackle

Todd4State
07-18-2018, 06:59 PM
The FG against Auburn was pretty horrible

Special teams has been Saban's weak spot. Kickers have cost him at least one perfect season not including the one you are talking about. Also missed a short field goal against Georgia last year.

Goldendawg
07-18-2018, 07:14 PM
Saying bama has lost too many starters is like saying the N.E. Patriots lost too many players to free agency. However, I feel this MSU team and staff can send me on my 2nd trip to Atlanta. Hail State!

Really Clark?
07-18-2018, 07:15 PM
Special teams has been Saban's weak spot. Kickers have cost him at least one perfect season not including the one you are talking about. Also missed a short field goal against Georgia last year.

Agreed. Special teams has been issues for his teams multiple times

TUSK
07-18-2018, 08:08 PM
The NFL hammered bammer exceptionally hard, this year... I think 12 got drafted and prolly another ~4 signed as a FA...

IMO, the offense will be a bit better... I expect improvement in all position groups, especially the skill positions... Ridley (WR) and Bozeman (OL) are the only ones worth noting...

The DL lacks the typical depth, but the 1st group is legit... Lost 2 of 3 guys...

The case is similar with LBs, but they will likely be the strong part of the D... Lewis gettin' hurt is a bitch, but this group is really deep and talented... Lost 3 guys here...

The 2ndary is an unkown (at least to me)... Lots of talent but only one S and one CB have any experience... We lost prolly the top 6 cats... My hope is that they will have time to gel by November...

Our K will definitely be better after that double agent Papponivichski graduated... Punter position is supposed to be really good this year, although I dunno how we could do better than JK.

I'm not yet sweating coaching staff changes... MDL will micromanage that shit....

The schedule sets up really well this year (even better than last year)... What I think will be the most competitive games are backloaded with 11/3 at LSU, 11/10 MSU, 11/24 Auburn... It's not unforeseeable bammer is double digits favorites for the every game (especially if Oregeron does what he does and AU goes "Hyde" on us)...

sorry for the long post...

Goldendawg
07-18-2018, 08:55 PM
The NFL hammered bammer exceptionally hard, this year... I think 12 got drafted and prolly another ~4 signed as a FA...

IMO, the offense will be a bit better... I expect improvement in all position groups, especially the skill positions... Ridley (WR) and Bozeman (OL) are the only ones worth noting...

The DL lacks the typical depth, but the 1st group is legit... Lost 2 of 3 guys...

The case is similar with LBs, but they will likely be the strong part of the D... Lewis gettin' hurt is a bitch, but this group is really deep and talented... Lost 3 guys here...

The 2ndary is an unkown (at least to me)... Lots of talent but only one S and one CB have any experience... We lost prolly the top 6 cats... My hope is that they will have time to gel by November...

Our K will definitely be better after that double agent Papponivichski graduated... Punter position is supposed to be really good this year, although I dunno how we could do better than JK.

I'm not yet sweating coaching staff changes... MDL will micromanage that shit....

The schedule sets up really well this year (even better than last year)... What I think will be the most competitive games are backloaded with 11/3 at LSU, 11/10 MSU, 11/24 Auburn... It's not unforeseeable bammer is double digits favorites for the every game (especially if Oregeron does what he does and AU goes "Hyde" on us)...

sorry for the long post...

Favored by double digits in every game? Not another year of you bama fans showing no interest until the playoffs and everyone else another hopeless also ran. bama and the 15 weak sisters again. Cancelling my season tickets and will just watch the World Cup replays!**** Hail State!

TUSK
07-18-2018, 09:17 PM
Favored by double digits in every game? Not another year of you bama fans showing no interest until the playoffs and everyone else another hopeless also ran. bama and the 15 weak sisters again. Cancelling my season tickets and will just watch the World Cup replays!**** Hail State!

I said it wasn't "unforeseeable" with a couple qualifiers... I'd be surprised if they were double digit gametime favs in all 12... My money is on 1 or 2 of the mentioned games being single digits...

Funny Post though!

ShotgunDawg
07-19-2018, 09:12 AM
I just wish that Alabama had to play Alabama every year.

As dumb & as ridiculous as that sounds, it's one of the single greatest advantages they have.

Think about our schedule if you took Alabama off of it.

TUSK
07-19-2018, 11:29 AM
I just wish that Alabama had to play Alabama every year.

As dumb & as ridiculous as that sounds, it's one of the single greatest advantages they have.

It's also a disadvantage (for Bammer) when SOS comes into play... Hell, I wish we could count the Spring Game toward SOS...

ShotgunDawg
07-19-2018, 11:31 AM
It's also a disadvantage (for Bammer) when SOS comes into play... Hell, I wish we could count the Spring Game toward SOS...

Oh, because SOS matters so much to SEC & has really affected Bama's ability to make the playoffs*

TUSK
07-19-2018, 11:37 AM
Oh, because SOS has really affected Bama's ability to make the playoffs*

Exactly... thank god for the "eye test", huh?*