PDA

View Full Version : Will JoMo take us where Mullen couldn't?

fishwater99
07-17-2018, 01:12 PM
Here is What Mullen did at MSU...

Career record against SEC opponents: 32-39

vs. Kentucky: 8-1
vs. Ole Miss: 5-4
vs. Arkansas: 5-4
vs. Auburn: 3-6
vs. Vanderbilt: 2-0
vs. Texas A&M: 3-3
vs. Tennessee: 1-0
vs. Missouri: 1-0
vs. Georgia: 1-2
vs. Florida: 1-1
vs. South Carolina: 1-2
vs. LSU: 2-7
vs. Alabama: 0-9

Record vs. Top 10 opponents: 4-14

Record vs. Top 25 opponents: 7-32

Biggest SEC win ? 51 points: 51-0 vs. Vanderbilt Nov. 22, 2014

Worst SEC loss ? 48 points: 3-51 at Alabama Nov. 12, 2016

msstatelp1
07-17-2018, 01:33 PM
Yes.

Dan believed in his system and wouldn't adapt for anything in a big game. If it's going his way, then great, maybe get a little creative. If it isn't then turtle and get ultra conservative in play calling and hope to not get beat too badly.

JoMo's offense is based off reads and adapting to what it takes.to overcome the defense's weakness. I believe our offense is about to reach heights it's never seen.

Captain Falcon
07-17-2018, 01:43 PM
2-16 against Bama and LSU is ugly. So is 2-4 against Ole Miss since Houston Nutt got fired. I expect Joe to do better on both fronts.

I don’t have a huge problem with Mullen’s record against the rest of the league. Won three of the last four against A&M, had a similar run against Auburn from 2012-2015, won five of six against Arkansas after they totally owned us for about 20 years (aside from 1998). 8-1 against Kentucky is great, and Peter Sirmon is the only reason we have the one loss. 7-4 against everyone else in the East is good. I think each of the losses were to 10-win teams.

If Moorhead can beat Bama, LSU, and Ole Miss more frequently while maintaining Mullen’s success levels against other teams, he will be the best coach in our history.

99jc
07-17-2018, 01:50 PM
2-16 against Bama and LSU is ugly. So is 2-4 against Ole Miss since Houston Nutt got fired. I expect Joe to do better on both fronts.

I don?t have a huge problem with Mullen?s record against the rest of the league. Won three of the last four against A&M, had a similar run against Auburn from 2012-2015, won five of six against Arkansas after they totally owned us for about 20 years (aside from 1998). 8-1 against Kentucky is great, and Peter Sirmon is the only reason we have the one loss. 7-4 against everyone else in the East is good. I think each of the losses were to 10-win teams.

If Moorhead can beat Bama, LSU, and Ole Miss more frequently while maintaining Mullen?s success levels against other teams, he will be the best coach in our history.

Trouble and made the wrong hire. 9-3 is the low bar this year. And if joe 17s this up with all the hype we're getting send his ass back to phedophile U.

lastmajordog
07-17-2018, 01:55 PM
Largest non wins IMHO are at least two vs Bama and at least 3 vs Bears. Don?t forgive Kang for a couple but these against Bama and Bears .....you just DON?t lose those.......

preachermatt83
07-17-2018, 02:08 PM
Trouble and made the wrong hire. 9-3 is the low bar this year. And if joe 17s this up with all the hype we're getting send his ass back to phedophile U.

9-3 is the absolute floor. Anything Less and we better be worried.

preachermatt83
07-17-2018, 02:09 PM
Record vs top 25 is absolutely ridiculous.

fishwater99
07-17-2018, 02:29 PM
Vs Top 25 Teams

Jackie 7-36

Croom 1-18

Mullen 7-32

Captain Falcon
07-17-2018, 03:15 PM

I will agree that anything less than 9-3 is disappointing. But I feel good about our chances reach that mark or better. I think we are a 10-2 team.

PMDawg
07-17-2018, 04:18 PM

This is just dumb. The west is way more stacked than most of you are willing to admit. 7-5 wouldn't be good, but it's not out of this world crazy either. Definitely not enough to make a definitive judgment on a 1st year head coach.

We are good enough to win double digit games. The SEC is good enough to give us 5 losses. Let's just see how it plays out.

Todd4State
07-17-2018, 04:30 PM
Vs Top 25 Teams

Jackie 7-36

Croom 1-18

Mullen 7-32

Jackie's winning percentage against top 25 teams is skewed some by 2001-2003. Between 1991-2000 he was beating on average about one top 25 team a year.

TUSK
07-17-2018, 08:34 PM
Jackie's winning percentage against top 25 teams is skewed some by 2001-2003. Between 1991-2000 he was beating on average about one top 25 team a year.

I thought Dan won vs only 3 teams that finished the season in the top 25... AU14, LSU17, OM09. ... can't be certain...

Or are yall talkin' "ranked at the time the game was played"?

CadaverDawg
07-17-2018, 09:43 PM
This is just dumb. The west is way more stacked than most of you are willing to admit. 7-5 wouldn't be good, but it's not out of this world crazy either. Definitely not enough to make a definitive judgment on a 1st year head coach.

We are good enough to win double digit games. The SEC is good enough to give us 5 losses. Let's just see how it plays out.

Yep.

I will say we're more likely to win the West than to go 6-6 like a few bone heads in the media have predicted this year. Most of them do have us in the 8-4 to 10-2 range though, which is pretty fair and realistic. I think we'll land in the 8-4/9-3 range

Dawgcap
07-17-2018, 10:36 PM
Yep! He will

Goldendawg
07-17-2018, 10:40 PM
Here is What Mullen did at MSU...

Career record against SEC opponents: 32-39

vs. Kentucky: 8-1
vs. Ole Miss: 5-4
vs. Arkansas: 5-4
vs. Auburn: 3-6
vs. Vanderbilt: 2-0
vs. Texas A&M: 3-3
vs. Tennessee: 1-0
vs. Missouri: 1-0
vs. Georgia: 1-2
vs. Florida: 1-1
vs. South Carolina: 1-2
vs. LSU: 2-7
vs. Alabama: 0-9

Record vs. Top 10 opponents: 4-14

Record vs. Top 25 opponents: 7-32

Biggest SEC win ? 51 points: 51-0 vs. Vanderbilt Nov. 22, 2014

Worst SEC loss ? 48 points: 3-51 at Alabama Nov. 12, 2016

Wow! No wonder Florida wanted Dan. He dominates that eastern football powerhouse Kentucky and other Eastern lightweights. Record against top 25 is also impressive, Not! (Never carried us to the next level! Especially after annual bama loss, unprepared for UNM and start of job search b4 season's end). Much easier to win with today's 12 game schedule and 150 bowl games. Time to beat the big guys, top 25, and UNM very regularly. Hail JoMo, staff, team, and fans! Hail State!

Todd4State
07-17-2018, 10:53 PM
I thought Dan won vs only 3 teams that finished the season in the top 25... AU14, LSU17, OM09. ... can't be certain...

Or are yall talkin' "ranked at the time the game was played"?

I'm not sure what his methodology is.

All I will say is this-

I just want Joe to place more emphasis on the Egg Bowl than Dan did his last five years or so and I want him to beat Alabama once every five years while continuing to beat LSU while they are down. If he does that while winning the games he is supposed to- he will be considered MSU greatest football coach in history as long as he stays awhile.

Dawgcap
07-17-2018, 11:51 PM
54 year old guy, late night after drinking several Natty lights is straight up saying this is gonna be the greatest 4-5 year run in State history! Will we win the SEC I don’t know but I truly believe this is the most exciting time to be a State fan in all sports.
But I love the talent, coaching philosophy and recruiting in football and I say without a doubt we win the West in the next 1-3 years. And the reason why is we have a guy just as talented offensively, actually more talented with better recruiting skills and I pray an ability to find coaches to coach to their strengths. If he can do all this, catch a break and actually coach to win fo and fight for his team instead of himself, we play for the SEC. And yes I think it’s possible this year.

sleepy dawg
07-18-2018, 09:51 AM
Yep.

I will say we're more likely to win the West than to go 6-6 like a few bone heads in the media have predicted this year. Most of them do have us in the 8-4 to 10-2 range though, which is pretty fair and realistic. I think we'll land in the 8-4/9-3 range

I agree too. I think many of our fans are drastically underestimating how hard most of our games will be. We'll probably be favored in 9 or 10 of our games, but the vast majority are going to be less than a touchdown favorite. That's a lot of games that could go either way.

LC Dawg
07-18-2018, 10:07 AM
Mullen's record against Bama is understandable because it's Bama, even though we should have won a couple. I don't get too hung up on the LSU record because he did beat them which had not been done this decade and we won 2 out of the last 4.
My biggest beef with Mullen is that he came in talking all this shit about Ole Miss and basically provoked them into putting more emphasis on the Egg Bowl and then he couldn't back up all his shit talking. His 5-4 record against the Bears is unacceptable considering how he acted in regards to them over the years and it culminated with him laughing it up with Matt Luke last November right after Luke's hit men had taken out our quarterback.

I seen it dawg
07-18-2018, 10:12 AM
We haven't run a play yet and it's already better than the last lazy **** staff.

Jarius
07-18-2018, 10:27 AM
I agree too. I think many of our fans are drastically underestimating how hard most of our games will be. We'll probably be favored in 9 or 10 of our games, but the vast majority are going to be less than a touchdown favorite. That's a lot of games that could go either way.

The 2 we aren’t favored in could go either way as well.

sleepy dawg
07-18-2018, 07:14 PM
15-6 versus the east

Political Hack
07-18-2018, 10:09 PM
Wow! No wonder Florida wanted Dan. He dominates that eastern football powerhouse Kentucky and other Eastern lightweights. Record against top 25 is also impressive, Not! (Never carried us to the next level! Especially after annual bama loss, unprepared for UNM and start of job search b4 season's end). Much easier to win with today's 12 game schedule and 150 bowl games. Time to beat the big guys, top 25, and UNM very regularly. Hail JoMo, staff, team, and fans! Hail State!

He can't touch Kirby Smart. Check his games against Kirby at UGA and as Bama's DC. I think he averages under 6-7 points per game against Kirby. Mullen's already a dead man walking in Gainsville.

Goldendawg
07-18-2018, 10:50 PM
He can't touch Kirby Smart. Check his games against Kirby at UGA and as Bama's DC. I think he averages under 6-7 points per game against Kirby. Mullen's already a dead man walking in Gainsville.

"Dead man walking", but it his new Nikes.** Same act at the SEC meetings.

ShotgunDawg
07-18-2018, 11:07 PM
Record vs top 25 is absolutely ridiculous.

It was bad but he won some big games against current top 20 teams that finished outside of that.

ShotgunDawg
07-18-2018, 11:09 PM

It's not the record that matters, it's how it happens. Common fans know if their team is well coached without considering the record.

ShotgunDawg
07-18-2018, 11:11 PM

No. Florida wanted Dan because Strick had no clue who else to hire.

BuckyIsAB****
07-19-2018, 08:22 PM
He has already surpassed Mullen in recruiting, swagger, and charisma.

If I were a betting man I'd say yes. John Cohen should make every hire this school ever makes ever again. I dont wanna hear shit about the baseball thing either. I blame that on Schloss's ego and not Cohen. He also hired one of the best staffs and best recruiters in the country to make up for it.

ScoobaDawg
07-20-2018, 08:44 AM
The only place Jo can take us Mullen didn't is a National Championship or Sec Championship game appearance.
More than likely both of those mean beating Bama and finishing no worse than 11-1

Thats not out of the question but will be extremely hard.

fishwater99
07-20-2018, 02:21 PM

Games we won't be favored in..

Bama, Auburn, and LSU