PDA

View Full Version : Bill Connelly's Article On Moorhead Will Get You Pumped....

ShotgunDawg
07-17-2018, 09:38 AM
I'm getting stiffer by the sentence reading this....

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/7/17/17453332/joe-moorhead-mississippi-state-offense-philosophy

1. Use the same personnel as much as possible.
Defensive coordinators have to make their decisions based on your personnel, not your formation. Don’t give them anything to work with.
Mullen frequently had the wrong players in the game in key situations thus asking our not best players to make big plays in critical situations

2. Empower the QB.
Give your players as much control as they have earned. Teach the QB to be your eyes on the field and make changes based on what he sees.
Mullen did this as well for the most part. How much autonomy he gave them is debatable though

3. Slap a read onto nearly every run, too.
Never put yourself in a position in which your QB doesn’t have options.
I don't think Mullen did much of this

4. It’s about the players, not the system.
Defenses will always try to dictate the reads you make. Stay one step ahead of them.
Not really sure how to compare this Mullen

5. Never stop adapting.
The fifth tenet to Moorhead’s philosophy has more to do with the man than the system.
I don't think Mullen adapted much. He kind of stuck with his normal stuff

I am so excited to watch how our offense evolves over the course of the year. Something tells me that there is the possibility of an early 1990s Florida football type situation where at times WRs are running wide open. Moorhead's intent on being flexible & his history of actually playing QB at a high level is what gives me hope that he will have a greater ability to make adjustments & have the play calling & game management instincts to lead us to more wins in big games.

BeardoMSU
07-17-2018, 09:48 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/SiUIIdSKuCN1e/giphy.gif

RiverCityDawg
07-17-2018, 10:10 AM
Thanks for sharing. This should be required reading for everyone here. Very informative. It's going to be a different offense than our fans are use to. As I've said before, don't expect a lot of exotic looks and different formations with this offense, but that in no way means it's predictable.

ShotgunDawg
07-17-2018, 10:19 AM
Thanks for sharing. This should be required reading for everyone here. Very informative. It's going to be a different offense than our fans are use to. As I've said before, don't expect a lot of exotic looks and different formations with this offense, but that in no way means it's predictable.

My ONLY concern is that I believe in the SEC sometimes you have to will yourself to run the football.

Can you be a physical, downhill running team with this philosophy?

Are we going to look more like the 2017 MSU team running the ball or 2015 with Holloway & passing Dak?

I believe the teams that end up in the CFP every year are teams that can physically pound the rock. Will we be able to do that in this offense?

I believe a physical downhill running game creates a physical identity for a team that sets the tone for everything else.

That's my biggest question: on 3rd & 2 in Bryant Denny Stadium when Saban runs a look that says we should pass, can we still run the ball & get the first down?

smootness
07-17-2018, 10:41 AM
My ONLY concern is that I believe in the SEC sometimes you have to will yourself to run the football.

Are we going to look more like the 2017 MSU team running the ball or 2015 with Holloway & passing Dak?

I believe the teams that end up in the CFP every year are teams that can physically pound the rock. Will we be able to do that in this offense?

I believe a physical downhill running game creates a physical identity for a team that sets the tone for everything else.

That's my biggest question: on 3rd & 2 in Bryant Denny Stadium when Saban runs a look that says we should pass, can we still run the ball & get the first down?

If the read says we should pass, then we should pass.

TrapGame
07-17-2018, 11:17 AM
If the read says we should pass, then we should pass.

Precisely.

Play action to Aeris. Suck up safeties and a couple of linebackers. Whop and/or Guidry will be wide open. How many passing TDs have we seen from teams with a 3 and 2? And that's why we have guys like Whop and Guidry. We have the running threat from Hill/AW and now we have a deep passing threat with Whop/Guidry. This will probably be the most balanced offense we've ever seen for a MSU team.

Johnson85
07-17-2018, 11:44 AM
I'm getting stiffer by the sentence reading this....

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/7/17/17453332/joe-moorhead-mississippi-state-offense-philosophy

1. Use the same personnel as much as possible.
Defensive coordinators have to make their decisions based on your personnel, not your formation. Don’t give them anything to work with.
Mullen frequently had the wrong players in the game in key situations thus asking our not best players to make big plays in critical situations

2. Empower the QB.
Give your players as much control as they have earned. Teach the QB to be your eyes on the field and make changes based on what he sees.
Mullen did this as well for the most part. How much autonomy he gave them is debatable though

3. Slap a read onto nearly every run, too.
Never put yourself in a position in which your QB doesn’t have options.
I don't think Mullen did much of this

4. It’s about the players, not the system.
Defenses will always try to dictate the reads you make. Stay one step ahead of them.
Not really sure how to compare this Mullen

5. Never stop adapting.
The fifth tenet to Moorhead’s philosophy has more to do with the man than the system.
I don't think Mullen adapted much. He kind of stuck with his normal stuff

I am so excited to watch how our offense evolves over the course of the year. Something tells me that there is the possibility of an early 1990s Florida football type situation where at times WRs are running wide open. Moorhead's intent on being flexible & his history of actually playing QB at a high level is what gives me hope that he will have a greater ability to make adjustments & have the play calling & game management instincts to lead us to more wins in big games.

That makes me less wooly. That just looks like a hell of a lot for Nick to learn in one off season.

ShotgunDawg
07-17-2018, 11:54 AM
That makes me less wooly. That just looks like a hell of a lot for Nick to learn in one off season.

I certainly understand this. I felt the same way until I looked back at Moorhead's first year at other programs only to find that the offense appears to pick things up VERY QUICKLY.

Add that to Nick being a smart guy & learning an offense being sort of like learning a new language, in which once you learn one & it's easier to learn others, & I think Nick is going to be fine. It may take a few games to really get things going & we may be a little clunky in the Kansas State game, but I expect we'll be close to firing on all cylinders by the Florida game.

Additionally, I think points 2 & 4 point to Moorhead running what the QB is comfortable with. We may never actually know what Nick does & does not know.

TrapGame
07-17-2018, 11:59 AM

Moorhead's offense is a lot like Dan's but more versatile. Joe's already said teaching guys who already run a RPO is a lot easier.

Todd4State
07-17-2018, 12:16 PM
On point number four- Mullen was all about the system. That's why he thought he could run Holloway up the middle and it would work just like Ballard running it up the middle.

Bully13
07-17-2018, 12:20 PM
On point number four- Mullen was all about the system. That's why he thought he could run Holloway up the middle and it would work just like Ballard running it up the middle.

Holloway would have a valid law suit vs Mullen.

FISHDAWG
07-17-2018, 12:37 PM
6. NEVER - NEVER take your foot off the gas
7. NEVER EVER try a fake punt from your own 20 yd line

Johnson85
07-17-2018, 12:59 PM
Moorhead's offense is a lot like Dan's but more versatile. Joe's already said teaching guys who already run a RPO is a lot easier.

How much RPO did we run though? I was not under the impression that we did much of it.

RiverCityDawg
07-17-2018, 02:33 PM
How much RPO did we run though? I was not under the impression that we did much of it.

Correct, we ran VERY little. Play action is not the same as RPO. Option is not the same as RPO. We ran play action and option.

I recall one RPO play we ran the last couple of years, which had a bubble screen tag. It worked okay and we ran it a handful of times, but it was a specific play and not a natural part of the system.

BrunswickDawg
07-17-2018, 02:42 PM

Nick is taking "Walking & Jogging" and "Underwater Basket Weaving" this semester. He will have plenty of time to learn.

Lord McBuckethead
07-17-2018, 03:11 PM
Walking and jogging for a guy with a flat tire is a tough class.

Johnson85
07-17-2018, 04:11 PM
Nick is taking "Walking & Jogging" and "Underwater Basket Weaving" this semester. He will have plenty of time to learn.

I dont' have any concern that he's going to learn it as far as knowing the plays and knowing which reads to make. I am concerned about whether it's going to take him time to be able to do at game speed. maybe not a problem at all. But making a read on whether to hand it off or keep it, and then when passing also making the read to know which break the receiver is going to make off his read, all while keeping an internal clock re: how long before the SEC DL or blitzing LB gets to hit you seems like it would be hard as shit. Even if you've already had plenty of practice making the read on the run option or making the read on the route when passing, still seems like it would be hard putting it all together for one play.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-17-2018, 05:06 PM
JoeMo offense is way more simple than Mullen's.

Jarius
07-17-2018, 05:50 PM

I hope we have a coach that will run the ball when we get run looks and pass the ball when we get pass looks....

CadaverDawg
07-17-2018, 05:51 PM

Good. We only have these guys 4-5 years, and it seemed like it took 3-4 years to learn Mullen's system

ShotgunDawg
07-17-2018, 05:57 PM
I hope we have a coach that will run the ball when we get run looks and pass the ball when we get pass looks....

To follow up on my previous post, when I did some research, I was encouraged to see that Penn TD % in the redzone was significantly higher than MSU's in 2017.

At very least I think that shows that Moorhead knows how to move the ball in short yardage situations

ShotgunDawg
07-17-2018, 06:13 PM

Just out of curiosity, what makes it easier?

From the outside looking in, there appears to be a greater emphasis on reading the defense in Moorhead's offense, which to me sounds tougher and more complicated.

So, what am I missing? I believe you, but would love know why. Thanks.

sack07
07-17-2018, 07:03 PM

From the outside looking in, there appears to be a greater emphasis on reading the defense in Moorhead's offense, which to me sounds tougher and more complicated.

In an RPO offense, the QB is not reading the whole defense. You can, pre-snap, read the box count. Or post-snap, read your defender key (a defender in run-pass conflict). While there will certainly be some mistakes made inevitably, as in any option offense. I think it?s much less on a QB than having to read a whole coverage, as you would in a traditional drop back pass scheme.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-17-2018, 07:16 PM
In an RPO offense, the QB is not reading the whole defense. You can, pre-snap, read the box count. Or post-snap, read your defender key (a defender in run-pass conflict). While there will certainly be some mistakes made inevitably, as in any option offense. I think it?s much less on a QB than having to read a whole coverage, as you would in a traditional drop back pass scheme.

This is a great breakdown

Ifyouonlyknew
07-17-2018, 07:24 PM

https://www.landof10.com/big-ten/one-of-joe-moorheads-former-quarterbacks-breaks-down-penn-states-new-offense

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/mississippi-state-football/joe-moorhead-explains-chipotle-offense-rpos-work-time-consuming-aspect-installation/

These are a couple other stories on JoeMo offense. It's not a complex offense just takes the QB putting in the time in the film room & practice field. That plays perfect with Fitz being in grad school. He'll be able to be with JoeMo & Briener all week long helping prepare for each Saturday. Everywhere he's been the QB has picked up the offense very quick & has had no problems. I expect Fitz to be the same.

Ari Gold
07-17-2018, 08:52 PM
Our WR core got coached more in 2 weeks of spring ball than in 2 years under Gonzo.
Facts..

TrapGame
07-17-2018, 09:38 PM
Our WR core got coached more in 2 weeks of spring ball than in 2 years under Gonzo.
Facts..

Gonzo stole from the university. Outright theft! I'd be willing to bet he's the first casualty of the country club within the next two years.

Pollodawg
07-18-2018, 08:48 AM

Sweet. Maybe it won?t take a RB 4/5 years here to learn to block in this system.****

Biggest thing I want Joe to do: Put the best damn players on the field. If an underclassman is better than a senior, then play him.