PDA

View Full Version : 2001 preseason

preachermatt83
07-16-2018, 09:22 PM
Does this preseason not feel eriely like the buildup and hype going into the 2001 season to anyone else??

Dallas_Dawg
07-16-2018, 09:26 PM
Dude, take this somewhere else.
No, it doesn't at all.

preachermatt83
07-16-2018, 09:29 PM
Dude, take this somewhere else.
No, it doesn't at all.

I'm still calling 10-2, I'm just saying... a lot of what I'm reading sounds just like stuff we all read then.

ShotgunDawg
07-16-2018, 09:33 PM
In 2001 the question mark was JUCO players that we really hadn't see play.

in 2018 the question mark is a coaching staff that we really haven't seen coach.

I don't really remember the details of that season. Did we have massive injuries? I Dontea got fat. Anything else?

Cooterpoot
07-16-2018, 09:33 PM
Undefeated season. I’m calling it.

Todd4State
07-16-2018, 09:56 PM
Here's the big difference to me: Jackie Sherrill. We were always teetering on the brink of losing close games and it just so happened that 2001 evened out 1999. Our offense was really good in 2000 and it carried us even though our defense was more reputation than good. Like when we beat Florida in 2000 we gave up over 30+ points. A&M we gave up 40+ and yes I know that was an OT game. Gave up a ton of points to LSU. And I think 2001 was the year where Jackie started to slide with things like conditioning- see Dontae Walker and our entire o-line that year. Sherrill was never good with QB's so it's not surprising that Wayne was off that year. And in 2001 I think our team felt like they had "arrived". We were the hunted more than we were the hunter.

This year is a lot different. We are hungry and feel like we have unfinished business. We have a legit Heisman darkhorse if not contender at QB. Our defense should be a lot closer to 1999 than 2001. We have two legit SEC running backs. Our o-line is good. To me our question marks are depth at WR and OL and then who the punter is. That's it. We also have a coach that is eager to prove himself that has an offense that is cutting edge that no one in this league has played against to my knowledge. Joe's offense is a far cry from Jackie's I-formation we're giving the ball to the running back except on third and long and when it is third and long we're going to pray that our athlete playing QB can make a play and not throw it to the other team. And our kicker is better than John Michael Miss a Mile. He's probably the only SEC kicker to Charlie Brown a kickoff.

2001 was just a lesson for all of us. We were so wooly we thought that Curtis Kemp might be able to be a quality back-up for Madkin. That would be like me hyping up Rip Kirk right now. And don't get me started on TJ Mawhinney.

We've also been to eight bowls in a row. We know how to win to at least the 6-8 win level at worst.

Todd4State
07-16-2018, 10:02 PM
In 2001 the question mark was JUCO players that we really hadn't see play.

in 2018 the question mark is a coaching staff that we really haven't seen coach.

I don't really remember the details of that season. Did we have massive injuries? I Dontea got fat. Anything else?

We lost a LOT of close games. Our offense was terrible that year. I think we averaged something like 10-15 points a game or something Vanderbilt/Croom-esque. That was the year we lost to Troy in the tornado and I think most of us either got pissed off or stopped caring at that point. With a few sheep saying "Jackie can turn it around! He did it before!". The only problem was Joe Lee 1996 wasn't walking through the door to save Jackie's ass.

We did beat Eli that year- which was by far the highlight of the season. And I couldn't really enjoy it because there were massive tornados in Madison that night and I didn't get any sleep while having to drag myself to work that next day on a Friday after Thanksgiving.

TrapGame
07-16-2018, 10:53 PM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/0a37ef8f52e2232d85a2070d56801987/tenor.gif?itemid=5026106

TUSK
07-17-2018, 12:24 AM
Undefeated season. I’m calling it.

Coot, whilst you're "callin'" stuff... I'd like a Red Ryder BB Gun and a GI Joe with the Kung Fu Grip, please....

Oh, and a 6 foot blonde with a chrome ass.

BeardoMSU
07-17-2018, 12:48 AM
Coot, whilst you're "callin'" stuff... I'd like a Red Ryder BB Gun and a GI Joe with the Kung Fu Grip, please....

https://78.media.tumblr.com/a109a223539057b606c7747f5b6bdb09/tumblr_op10qgdq6P1qj6sk2o2_500.gif

bostondawg
07-17-2018, 05:51 AM
I'm calling us to the Rose Bowl this year***

msu15
07-17-2018, 07:37 AM
Loser post

Jack Lambert
07-17-2018, 07:49 AM
JWS played games close and won them with the kicking game. They did not have a good place kicker that year.

Pollodawg
07-17-2018, 09:01 AM
This again......Totally different, completely different circumstances. For one thing, this is a first year coach ready to make his mark, not a coach (much as I love him) coasting to retirement.

louisvilledawg
07-17-2018, 09:08 AM
Does this preseason not feel eriely like the buildup and hype going into the 2001 season to anyone else??

https://media.giphy.com/media/l4Ki2obCyAQS5WhFe/giphy.gif

Cooterpoot
07-17-2018, 11:53 AM

Saban will fire his OC and consider retirement. It'll make the Croom loss in year 1 feel good.

Matty Dispatch
07-18-2018, 06:36 AM
Here's the big difference to me: Jackie Sherrill. We were always teetering on the brink of losing close games and it just so happened that 2001 evened out 1999. Our offense was really good in 2000 and it carried us even though our defense was more reputation than good. Like when we beat Florida in 2000 we gave up over 30+ points. A&M we gave up 40+ and yes I know that was an OT game. Gave up a ton of points to LSU. And I think 2001 was the year where Jackie started to slide with things like conditioning- see Dontae Walker and our entire o-line that year. Sherrill was never good with QB's so it's not surprising that Wayne was off that year. And in 2001 I think our team felt like they had "arrived". We were the hunted more than we were the hunter.

This year is a lot different. We are hungry and feel like we have unfinished business. We have a legit Heisman darkhorse if not contender at QB. Our defense should be a lot closer to 1999 than 2001. We have two legit SEC running backs. Our o-line is good. To me our question marks are depth at WR and OL and then who the punter is. That's it. We also have a coach that is eager to prove himself that has an offense that is cutting edge that no one in this league has played against to my knowledge. Joe's offense is a far cry from Jackie's I-formation we're giving the ball to the running back except on third and long and when it is third and long we're going to pray that our athlete playing QB can make a play and not throw it to the other team. And our kicker is better than John Michael Miss a Mile. He's probably the only SEC kicker to Charlie Brown a kickoff.

2001 was just a lesson for all of us. We were so wooly we thought that Curtis Kemp might be able to be a quality back-up for Madkin. That would be like me hyping up Rip Kirk right now. And don't get me started on TJ Mawhinney.

We've also been to eight bowls in a row. We know how to win to at least the 6-8 win level at worst.

Excellent post.